Sleep Apnea in DSM5

compsports

Since my comprehension skills are completely shot, I need help in deciphering whether this is a proposal to include sleep apnea in the upcoming DSM5 before I start ranting.

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=391#

Thanks!

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

*jawdrop*

Really? Sleep apnea is now a mental disorder?

The APA is totally out of control. I do not want to be a part of their alternate universe.

This is extremely disturbing.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

• Administrator

Yes, it's a draft of a DSM-5 diagnosis.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Since my comprehension skills are completely shot, I need help in deciphering whether this is a proposal to include sleep apnea in the upcoming DSM5 before I start ranting.

CS

"Note: for diagnostic criteria used in children, symptoms commonly include irritability and behavioral problems; signs may include chest retractions during sleep. The number of apneas/hypopneas supportive of a diagnosis is lower than in adults."

Proceed with rant, CS.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

CS

"Note: for diagnostic criteria used in children, symptoms commonly include irritability and behavioral problems; signs may include chest retractions during sleep. The number of apneas/hypopneas supportive of a diagnosis is lower than in adults."

Proceed with rant, CS.

Unfortunately, I forgot my rant but needless to say, I am absolutely aghast at this. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

CS

• 3 months later...

[http://psychcentral.com/blog/discuss/10292/#comment-737524

My Comment which hasn't yet been approved

John, you said,

“”As with all mental disorders, sleep disorders must cause a significant impact or distress in the person’s normal, everyday functioning in their life — work, at home, and at play. All of the sleep disorders listed above are proposed to generally not be diagnosed if directly caused by a known medical condition, disease, or impairment in the person’s health.”"

As someone with sleep apnea, I am totally perplexed by these comments as this is caused by a medical condition that frankly, in my opinion, has no business being in the DSM. How a disorder that is due to stopping breathing during sleep ended up in the DSM is beyond me.

I guess if this compelled psychiatrists to routinely order sleep studies before subjecting people to needless drugs who have sleep apnea, it would be more tolerable. But that isn’t what is happening and is a disgrace.

By the way John, as I am sure you are well aware, many people with apnea had no clue how impaired they were. It was only when they were fully treated with a cpap machine, did they realize how wrong they were. So if a medical professional be it a psychiatrist or doctor is making a diagnosis based on someone’s perception of how impaired they are regarding their sleep, that would be a huge mistake that could result in a horrific tragedy.