KellyS: Off Meds for a week!

KellyS

Ok I'll wait 2 more weeks then to be a month on this dose. Alto, you have really been a HUGE help through this and I want you to know how very much I have appreciated ALL your insight! Big hug!

I am a 40 year old woman who has been on Effexor XR, Clonopin and Trazodone since 2001, and Abilify since 2010. I have been on Effexor XR 150mg 2x day, Abilify 1 mg daily, Trazodone 200mg daily, and Clonopin .05mg as needed. 8/26-I have started back up on 10.71mg of Effexor XR Capsules because after 1 1/2 weeks my withdrawal symptoms were terrible so I re-instated this small dose to re-start my taper at a much slower rate. 11/13-I am now on 7mgs of Effexor XR NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS AT ALL :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyS

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• Brandy

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Back atcha, Kelly. ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, I was just reading some of your posts on Fish Oil, I am going to try to grab some at Trader Joes this upcoming weekend, should I try it for when I go down a bead in 2 weeks or should I start taking it now? What do you think? I am still very sensitive to any caffeine and sugar so I have cut both out completely now, just drinking plain decaf tea in the morning and no sugar at all. I am still having insomnia though which I am prepared to have for the long haul until I am off everything. What are your thoughts? Thanks :)

Do you think this is a good one to try? I buy a ton of stuff from Swanson

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF155/ItemDetail

I am a 40 year old woman who has been on Effexor XR, Clonopin and Trazodone since 2001, and Abilify since 2010. I have been on Effexor XR 150mg 2x day, Abilify 1 mg daily, Trazodone 200mg daily, and Clonopin .05mg as needed. 8/26-I have started back up on 10.71mg of Effexor XR Capsules because after 1 1/2 weeks my withdrawal symptoms were terrible so I re-instated this small dose to re-start my taper at a much slower rate. 11/13-I am now on 7mgs of Effexor XR NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS AT ALL :)

• Administrator

I'd go for Trader Joe's, get the red label Omega-3s.

Try one capsule and see how it suits you. If it's okay, ramp up to 4-6 capsules a day.

Swanson's has milk peptides http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/357-update-on-milk-peptides-for-sleep/ And don't forget magnesium http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

I'm hoping if you stabilize a bit, your sleep will improve.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info! I am already taking magnesium Citrate I think thats the version, I will check the name when I get home and can grab the bottle.. The Milk product, I am lactose intolerant and my stomach has been an absolute MESS since all of this, do you think this product will bother my stomach?

• Administrator

If you're lactose-intolerant and not actually allergic to milk, it should be okay. All the lactose is removed.

Oh ok good. I was taking 225mg of magnesium citrate but it killed my stomach so I stopped. After reading your info on it I can see why now

Hi, Just wanted to check in, I have had a lot going on lately. Haven't been able to pick up the Trader Joes Fish Oil caps yet but have 1 more week left to make it a month stabilizing on the 10.71mg before I go down a bead anyway. I will run to Trader Joes before I drop the bead in the hopes it will help me with any withdrawals if I have any. Hope all is well! :)

Hi Kelly,

I'm glad reinstating in order to taper more slowly is working for you! I only now saw your thread, but I wanted to say I'm another of those people who had trouble around the 3 month mark after going off ADs (about 16 years of use for me). First, in 2008 when I did a too-fast taper. Then in 2010 I quit again to try to get pregnant. That time I went off cold turkey...

Not that I really planned it that way... I went on vacation and forgot to take my meds and felt totally fine for the few days I didn't take them. So I thought that meant I wouldn't have any problems!

The first couple of months I was emotional, wanted to cry about everything, irritable, but also more alive, like I was opening my heart to life again, and with periods of feeling completely normal... sensitive, I always was sensitive, but I felt like myself.

Then three months after quitting I started to get bad insomnia and anxiety and to feel really, really weird... nothing like the depression I originally took the meds for. 8 months in I took an anti-amoeba med (I was diagnosed with amoebas and thought that might be part of why I felt bad). The medicine completely destabilized me, worsening my symptoms so much that I went online in a desperate search for answers. That's when I found this site. For me it was too late to reinstate, so that is wonderful that you found this site in time!

Go slow, don't feel like a failure for going back... giving your nervous system time to slowly adjust is the best thing you can do!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I have one more week on the 10.71 dose and then I will be on it a month and will try to taper again. This site is filled with such nice, helpful, supportive people I am so glad to have come across it!

another thing to note on my update: I have been going through some awful things in my personal life in past week, an abrupt break up and then my pet had to be put down. My insomnia has been HORRIBLE so I have been take 0.05mg of my leftover clonopin to just sleep at night. I know this isn't ideal but I have been so distraught I just wanted to get some sleep at night. How bad is this with my coming off my Effexor, I mean will this be something that will cause me much distress if I just stop taking the clonopin? I know the sleeplessness will return, but I am just curious. My old way of taking the clon was "as needed"

• Moderator Emeritus

Kelly, you don't want to be mixing clonazepam withdrawal with AD withdrawal, believe me!

It only takes a week or two of daily use to begin to be addicted to benzos. (The drug companies prefer that we say "dependent on" but I prefer to call a spade a spade.)

If you can keep your use of the clon down to once or twice a week you should be okay; your body won't downregulate receptors if there's a few days in between dosages. But daily use causes things to change pretty fast.

You'd be better off trying anything else besides benzos to help with sleep.

If you've been taking it daily for a while you should taper off it slowly. I would recommend starting right away. Don't taper the AD at the same time. If you've only been taking it for a week I'd recommend something like taking a half dose for a couple of days and then off, and wait a week to see how you feel before cutting the AD.

Also, regardless, given the stress you're under, you may want to wait an extra week or so, or until things calm down in your life, before removing another bead.

Hang in there. You're going to get through this. It WILL get better.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks, I am going to just stop taking it, I dont have withdrawal from clonopin usually and the dose is very low anyway. I have taken clonopin on and off for years, becoming addicted to ANYTHING for me is not in the cards, I would never keep taking something I would rather just not sleep and deal with it. I am the anti-control freak hahaha meaning no meds will ever control me.

Alto, I have been shopping around for the fish oil, how does this one sound to you? I havent had the chance to hit Trader Joes yet but wanted to find one I could buy online in case they didnt carry it.

MEGA Omega-3 Fish Oils from Olympian Labs

600 EPA / 400 DHA from cold water fish

Gluten free and tested for mercury

Supplement Facts

Serving Size Two (2) Softgels

Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving %Daily Value*

Calories 18

Calories from Fat 18

Total Fat 2 g 3%

Saturated Fat 100 mg <1%

Cholesterol 2 mg <1%

Sodium 0 mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 200 mg <1%

Protein 500 mg <1%

Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) 4 IU 13%

Natural marine lipid concentrate 2 g †

EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 600 mg †

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 400 mg †

*Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

• Administrator

It has 1,000mg EPA+DHA in 2 capsules, or 500mg in one capsule, so it's not as strong as Trader Joe's.

The amount of vitamin E is negligible.

an update: My sleep is still all over the place, I have been taking benadryl here and there but it wears off after 4 hours and I am wide awake so I take another then it makes me sleep again till morning. I stopped taking the clonopin (I tapered it) because I was getting into the habit of taking it every night which I didn't want to do, I have a limited supply left and have no DR, and also I don't want to keep depending on it I would like to get into a NORMAL sleep cycle again if possible. I have to say, the sleep thing is really a total nightmare coming off Effexor XR. I am heading to Trader Joes for SURE this weekend to grab some fish oil so I am hoping that will help. (But I am also reading through all the helpful sleep posts in here for advice and things to try)

Another thing I am noticing: I have dropped 12LBS since I started my taper and have been consistently dropping up to 1.5 to 2lbs a DAY since. I was overweight, not obese but definitely needed to lose some weight so this is a HUGE PLUS in my book! I'm sure it is just my metabolism and gut adjusting to the lower meds but, hey, I'll take it!!!

I plan on taking 1 bead out of the 10 (10.71mg) I am taking starting next week.

• 3 weeks later...

an update:

I took myself OFF the benadryl for sleep because I was crying just about everyday from it. Since I have stopped it, I have been sleeping much better and able to fall asleep no problem and back asleep if I get up at night for the restroom. I started on one less bead on 9/24 and have been fine, but I know this is just Day 9 and 2 weeks in is usually when I have the issue.. :unsure:

I am so happy to have found this message board and such insightful, helpful and supportive people! I felt so alone and had no one to talk to that had any idea of what I am going through, and I am so appreciative of all of your feedback and comments!

I think I am going to play it by ear, give it another week before I decide if I am going to go back on the effexor to taper off it more slowly. I know the withdrawal symptoms keep coming and I want to see if another week will make them go away or if they get worse. Overall I feel very GOOD, happy, upbeat. I realize now I probably did it too quickly (the taper) but I would rather march forward than go backwards. Unless I get worse in a week then i will probably go back on the small dose and taper off it longer. I will keep you all updated!!! Thanks again. Its so great there are forums like this out there, I felt so alone!

Kelly I didn't feel my withdrawl until about 4-5 weeks after I stopped taking it. Wow it hit me like a brick sH#$ house. I have never been so immobilized in my life, you should read me thread. I did a 2 month taper from 150mg of Effexor that I was on for 6 years, never again. I have been so sick and ill. The first month off was heaven, I seriously suggest going back on on Effexor and slowly coming down.

Mr. A

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Hi Mr A, I did go back on it, I initially started a taper and went completely off it and then went back on a smaller dose a month ago to re-taper off it again because for me, after 2 weeks I had bad withdrawal. Everyone is different as to when they start to have withdrawal symptoms, I guess.

My update: its end of week 2 of the 9 beads of Effexor XR and I quit caffeine a month ago and have to say, my sleep has improved GREATLY and I no longer need anything to help me sleep at night, or fall back asleep! HORRAY!!!!! NO WITHDRAWALS AT ALL.

• Moderator Emeritus

great news Kelly - continue to take it easy and keep us up to date!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Thanks Peggy!

UPDATE AND QUESTION FOR ALTO:

I finally was able to get over to Trader Joes to buy the Fish oil, I got the red label 90ct Omega 3s like you said.. My question is, should I get a Vitamin E separate pill to take along with these? I remember you saying something about it but I can't find the post.

• Administrator

If you're taking a multivitamin containing 400IU vitamin E, you're covered there. Otherwise, you might take 400IU vitamin E mixed tocopherols in a separate pill.

Great, thanks so much Alto!

• 2 weeks later...

an UPDATE and question for ALTO: I am now on 8 beads of the vanlafaxine xr 75 mg cap. (around 7mg or so) I have been feeling very edgy, angry and short tempered. I am waiting for my Vitamin E to get here (I ordered online) so I can start taking with the fish oil. I am hoping this help with these symptoms. Is there anything else I should take other than the fish oil?

side note: My sleep has been GREAT, no issues at ALL and I take a natures made all natural sleep pill every night and no medications at all. Since I quit caffeine I have been sleeping great but the sleep aid gets me to sleep a little deeper.

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Kelly. The fish oil may help.

You may wish to hold on your taper for a bit, to see if those symptoms smooth out.

Very good that you're sleeping well! What is the name of that supplement and what does it have in it?

The sleep aid I am taking is by the brand Nature Made, its called SLEEP. 100% drug free, has in it L-theanine 200mg, Melatonin 3mg, Chamomile Flower Extract 17mg, Passion Flower Extract 17mg, Lemon Balm Leaf Extract 16mg

I got a sample of it from work, and then bought it from Amazon when I ran out. I CAN sleep without it but not as deeply so I just take it. I will be starting the trader joes fish oil and vitamin e this week so I will let you know how I am after a few days of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update and question for ALTO:

Hi, hope you are well! I have been taking 2 fish oil caps and 1 Vitamin e cap for about 2 weeks now and haven't noticed anything different. The fish oil isn't bothering me at all, what do you think I should do? Should I UP the amount of caps of fish oil and if so, should I also UP the dose of the Vit E too? Can you tell me what this is supposed to do for me, I can't remember, sorry. Thanks Alto!

• Administrator

Increase the fish oil to 4 capsules a day, if it's okay, take 6 capsules a day.

You don't have to increase vit E.

Alto,

I am feeling so happy and my edge of anger has significantly decreased since i started taking the Fish oil. I am up to 3 capsules a day and I cannot get over how GREAT I mentally feel!! Its a MIRACLE! This stuff works GREAT, I am so happy. I am running out tomorrow and picking up some for a co-worker who took herself off Cymbalta without tapering, I am hoping it will help her withdrawal symptoms. This site has been a GODSEND and has given me the knowledge and power to take BACK my life since quitting these horrible meds! It is a huge weight off that I can just come here and find what I am looking for as far as advice and great support. Thank you so much for your contributions and great support and help!! I am now on 7 beads (about 7ish mg) of Effexor xr and soon I will be off it completely the first since 2001 I have been med-free. This is a HUGE thing for me and I will continue to check in to let you know how I am.

Kelly

PS I made a small $10 donation I hope while small, it helps keep the site going!

• Administrator

Kelly, I'm so happy you're feeling fine.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. That means a lot to me.

• 2 months later...

Hi Alto,

It's been a while since I updated my status on here so I thought I would. I went down to 5 mg approx of the Effexor XR, and was on that for about 1 month then ran out of pills. So, I am off it completely now. I don't think it was doing anything for me anymore as far as withdrawals etc because my anxiety is back like it was BEFORE meds but I am dealing with it ok. My insomnia is fine, the same actually but I started taking a natural sleep aid that is helping a bit. I had forgotten what I was like without any medication and my friends are adjusting, lol. I am just a little more chatty than normal and sometimes have a little bit of a temper, but I can DEAL with all this. I want to try to get back to exercise after my current health issues are resolved, which I know will help big time with the anxiety and sleep. I am hoping I will be OK with just stopping at 5mg because I don't have a DR right now, mine left the practice and would rather just deal with it than going to a new dr., etc but I have the name of someone good in case I need to go. I will see how I am in the next few weeks to tell for sure.

I am having other health problems lately which is why I haven't been around much. I am on my second DR trying to figure out what it is, but basically they think it is either Fibromyalgia caused by the Lyme disease I had last year or Lupus. (My mom has Lupus) so I am exhausted all the time, achey like a 90 year old and have bersitis in both hips so it hurts to walk. I can't exert myself at all I get tired in a few seconds, cleaning the snow off my car the other day proved to be a big task. But my spirits are high, as this is how I am normally and this isn't getting me down at all. I have found a FANTASTIC Rhematologist who is world-renowned and known for diagnosing people where other Drs couldn't, so I should know more within a month. Also, they have a sleep specialist on staff and they are going to do a sleep study on me because I keep waking up at night and they think its sleep apnea. Which would make total sense because I wake up exhausted like I never slept and that is a symptom. I know it will be tough but I will at the very least find out what has been going on and will get the treatment I need, and thank GOD for health insurance!

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Kelly.

A caution: Withdrawal syndrome can cause or aggravate fibromyalgia-type symptoms, and fragment sleep.

What's it like when you wake up in the middle of the night?

Can your doctor's old office renew the prescription? Any doctor can prescribe Effexor.

The old office won't perscribe me any more meds, and my regular DR refuses to. The first Rhematologist I went to told me that, how anti-d withdrawal can cause these symptoms. But with my history of Lupus, I thought it would be best to check it out with a new DR who I saw last week...

I wake up from a dead sleep with a jolt, not really insomnia like I had from withdrawal in the past, which was just laying there unable to sleep at all, but waking up more tired than when I went to bed and I even started to SNORE which I never snored before in my life. I started to sleep with really good quality ear plugs which help alot when I am in a almost asleep state nothing wakes me up now. I just hope the house doesn't fall down around me at night because I would never know it!

• Administrator

Waking up with a jolt is common with withdrawal insomnia.

Can you tell your rheumatologist you went off too fast and you need a low dose to finish your taper?

That rheumatologist knows more about withdrawal symptoms than a psychiatrist!