Sudden onset of debilitating overwhelming anxiety /depression …

draggin49

I’ve been dealing with anxiety and depression majority of my life ( 41 years old) 

Over the last couple years my depression/anxiety  which is normally bad has completely changed . Before I would be depressed but i could force myself to do some things . It seems like i I got worse once I got out on multiple meds at once .

Majority of my life I was only on 10mg celexa . I was better then than now. About 3 days ago , I got a panic attack in the evening. . This was the first one in some time . But instead of it being a panic attack and then going back to my normal baseline of anxiety /depression instead I was hit with the WORST anxiety /depression of my life. This is the most scared I’ve been in my life . I can’t figure it out . There’s been no med change or anything I can attribute it this to. I’ve been having emotional meltdowns I’ve never cried so hard in my life along with panic attacks and non stop anxiety at its highest levels  . This has gone on for 3+ days now . I’m just beyond overwhelmed mentally . I honestly don’t know what to do. I told my psychiatrist what was going on. He said to try and increase the amount of lorazepam I’m taking in a day to try and get through this current scenario. Please if anyone has had a similar experience please let me know what it was and what you did to get relief or make it stop.   I’m lost and don’t know what to do. This is unbearable  . I could only manage a few hours of sleep earlier , i keep waking up to the instant feeling of what I described above . I’m completely debilitated. I’m so scared . 

prior to 2000 - amitriptyline - tapered off 2-3 week (? OMW)

Jan 2000  - Jul 2000 clonazepam

July 2000 - Feb 2001 paxil 

????? OMW

100 mg amitriptyline

7/14/20 - 8/5/20 - 75mg of amitriptyline 

8/6/20 - 8/27/20-  50mg of amitriptyline 

8/28/20- 9/18/20 - 25mg of amitriptyline

9/19/20 - 10/10/20 - 12.5 mg amitriptyline

10/11/20 - 10/31/20  - 6.25 mg , stopped 10/31/20

11/21/20 - 11/19/20  12.5 

11/19/20 - now 25 mg amitriptyline 

Currently on: celexa 60mg once a day (year started? years changes in dose), guanfacine 2mg (year started? year of changes in dose if any?)  lorazepam 2mg (split 4x a day) (months/year started/changed?) 

• draggin49 changed the title to Sudden onset of debilitating overwhelming anxiety /depression …

Could be tolerance/poop-out/tachyphylaxis. Given how long you’ve been on the same drug it’s increasingly likely. Increasing the dose will only temporarily find relief if so. The only way out is tapering very carefully.

Could also be caused by a number of other things including: viral illness, stress, antibiotics, alcohol, injury, infection. Try and trace back the past few days and weeks and see if any changes have taken place.

See here

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy