PatriciaAnn Doxepin Taper

PatriciaAnn

I have been on Doxepin 40 mgs for Chronic Fatique Syndrome/depression for 35 years.  I am now a senior and have been experiencing brain fog.  I have recently started reducing my dose ever so gradually with the goal to reach a maintenance dose of 30 mgs by summer.

Was put on Doxepin 40 mgs to treat Chronic Epstein Barr Virus in 1986. Have been as high as 75 and back down with no problems. Tapering now to 30 mgs.

Started 1/10/23 at 37.5 mgs.  10 mg capsule mixed in 1 oz of water, pouring out 1/4 oz.  Today is 1/28.  Intend to wait until fully adjusted to reduce anymore. 

• Shep changed the title to PatriciaAnn Doxepin Taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, @PatriciaAnn.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information to get you started:

Tips for tapering doxepin (Sinequan, Zonalon)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery  video (4 minutes)

It's possible that some of your chronic fatigue symptoms are the results of long-term antidepressant drugging. As you reduce, moving towards your target maintenance dose, you may want to keep going until you're completely off these drugs. 

This is one theory:

Now Antidepressant-Induced Chronic Depression Has a Name: Tardive Dysphoria

We also know the outcomes for depression used to be much better before the antidepressant era:

Long-term Evidence We Can’t Overlook Anymore: Anti-Depressant Outcomes

Anyways, just some thoughts. Very glad you're here to learn more and to work on reducing your drug burden. 

Is Doxepin the only drug you're currently taking? Please set up a signature. Here is how:

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

After you set up your signature and we know more about your drug history, we'll be able to provide more targeted advice.