SSRIs and drug resistance

GiaK

I did a mini post on my site today. I've been writing about TD lately and this supports what I'm saying. A lot of people in TD circles have gotten it from SSRIs too. So I think it's important that people be aware of this. TD is more often associated with neuroleptics so it's not on many people's radar...thing is it's simply not the case that only neuroleptics cause it! 

Also there is so much supporting evidence about what I’m saying about tardive dyskinesia, psych meds and systemic infections….. this is the latest… in Nature magazine: How antidepressants help bacteria resist antibiotics!!

if you don’t know what I’m taking about see -- I've not shared anything on this site about TD as it hasn't tied in directly before...this is starting to change as I learn more. Today another woman wrote me who reports her causation drug for akathisia and
TD was SSRIs...  :

Tardive Dyskinesia, Chronic Lyme Disease, and Infection – Mad In America 

I’ve been writing about it for a while. Here are my other articles on Tardive Dyskinesia this site 

sorry...this is a packed and not well explained post...follow the links to learn more. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 8 months later...

@GiaK I was hoping you could give me some advice. I was reading the topic on histamine intolerance and read about how it helped you heal your gut. I have had headaches, fatigue, anxiety, and stomach issues for the last 12 months. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis shortly after I stopped talking Escitalopram. Anyways, I’ve been eating really healthy, exercising, getting good sleep, etc. and no relief. I was recently eating a morning smoothie every day for the last month or so and it brought on diarrhea and bloody stools. I was using 3 bananas, 1 pint of blueberries, 1 avocado, cacao powder, and coconut milk. I realized after that bananas, avocado, and cacao powder are all very high in histamine. Today, I stopped the smoothie and started eating a low histamine diet. It’s the best I’ve felt in a long time. I ordered Quercetin, vitamin C, and a probiotic with strains that are known to do well with people who have histamine intolerance. I also ordered Pyloricil to eradicate potentially any H. Plyori bacteria. Note, I recently had surgery and took a 7 day course of antibiotics. Do you have any advice for me as you went through this? What did you do? Would you change anything? How long did it take to overcome the intolerance? Were you able to resume eating most foods? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2016 - 2017 Citalopram 10mg

2017 - 2021 Escitalopram 10mg

2021 - Feb 2022 Escitalopram 20mg, fast taper over 2-4 weeks to 0mg

Aug 2022 - Nov 2022 Escitalopram 10mg

Nov 2022 - Present Cold Turkey

Forgot to mention. I was previously eating lots of prebiotic foods and fermented foods to try to optimize the gut biome and fix the dysbiosis. However, that only gave me diarrhea with mucus.

I was doing the same smoothie but I previously used kefir milk instead of the coconut milk. 

for dinner, I would have meat, potatoes, avocado, fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha), and raw cows milk. 

I originally thought it was the milk and that I was dairy intolerant but after dropping the fermented foods and dairy…I still get diarrhea. That’s what led me to histamine intolerant. I was getting puffy and itchy eyelids the last few days after eating this smoothie for the last month. Eyes started watering today after switching to low histamine, energy and mood are better, headache is less severe.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, LaFlem said:

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis

I had ulcerative colitis for 30 years.  Then, in 2015, I had surgery to remove my colon and create a new "colon" from the last section on my small intestine--called a J-pouch.  This eliminated the pain and was a definite improvement for a few years.  Then I started having problems, which are ongoing.  As with psychiatric drug withdrawal, everybody's different.  Many do very well with the J-pouch, others like me not as well.  This is just a FYI as a possible option if needed in the future.  There's a website, J-pouch.org, you can consult if interested.  

I never tried a dietary solution.  If you can make that work and can keep your colon, that would be great.

Best of luck.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. @LaFlem 

I did histamine diet for a couple of years and can now eat histamine foods...I don't really give advice anymore about diet given this entire process has really only been learning to pay attention to MY body and thus that is all I encourage others to do. I am still very sick and I also am very much in a healing process. My injuries were very grave and unusual given the length of time I was on psych meds and the sheer volume I was on. I've been healing for years but the damage done to my brain was massive. 

My sensitivities have radically changed. I can in some sense eat ANYTHING...but I can only eat it when I can and I listen to my body very carefully. I rarely eat certain things but have found that there are truly no absolutes for me. Given the radical nature of what I face and how unique it is I've come to honor people's experience to a degree that I can listen but I don't have a lot to say in general. What I can say is that the foods you're experimenting with sound great. I've had really good results with raw milk..especially goat's milk. I'm also not really drinking it lately because my body says no at the moment...and so it goes! 

you seem mindful and attentive to your process and that is wonderful! 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy