SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Malpractice for Withholding Treatment

Shanti

I've been in school for medical office administration and I just took a course in Medical Law. I didn't realize how liable doctors are for withholding standard medical treatment. They have a very strict standard of treatment they have to adhere to or they can be sued and lose their licence. This is why they're so reluctant to deviations from what other doctors are doing when it comes to antidepressant prescriptions. When my doctor told me that he is no longer prescribing Paxil for his patients, he is actually taking a risk by not doing so. I'm sure that since he is a good and conscientious doctor, he's armed himself with research and papers from doctors that feel the way he does. They have to do what their peers are doing. This is why it's important to print out these reports from other doctors to bring to your own. It's not just to inform them of the situation, but it's for their protection.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I believe the malpractice risk is even greater if patient has existing diagnosis and doctor attempts to remove treatment (ie. discontinue/taper) without initiating other "standard of care" treatment.

Definitely a complicated situation.

Thanks, Shanti.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Great post Shanti, thanks.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Great post Shanti.

That explains why 8 different psychiatrists prescribed Serzone several years ago when it should have been clear that drug was a loser. But then there is bleeping protocol and the patient be dammed.

This is why evidenced based medicine is scary.

CS

I've been in school for medical office administration and I just took a course in Medical Law. I didn't realize how liable doctors are for withholding standard medical treatment. They have a very strict standard of treatment they have to adhere to or they can be sued and lose their licence. This is why they're so reluctant to deviations from what other doctors are doing when it comes to antidepressant prescriptions. When my doctor told me that he is no longer prescribing Paxil for his patients, he is actually taking a risk by not doing so. I'm sure that since he is a good and conscientious doctor, he's armed himself with research and papers from doctors that feel the way he does. They have to do what their peers are doing. This is why it's important to print out these reports from other doctors to bring to your own. It's not just to inform them of the situation, but it's for their protection.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Yes. Evidence based medicine is the most dangerous trend to hit medicine, possibly ever. The evidence base is tainted and, in many cases, completely fraudulent and manufactured by pharma. And, doctors are punished for going outside "the evidence based guidelines".

Very scary.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy