☼ ultra718: Wellbutrin—Adverse reaction, quick taper & problems

ultra718

I don’t know how to add a signature, but this is my history.

—-
-Prozac 2012-2015–no issues

-Zoloft 2018-2021–no issues but some brain zaps came and went for a few months after when tired.
-Zoloft January 2022-July 2022–quick taper
-Wellbutrin XL 150 July 6th 2022–started experiencing side effects
Upped Wellbutrin XL to 300 Sep 13th 2022.
-Oct 3rd burning, adverse reaction
-Started taper off Nov 12th, 2022

Got off of Wellbutrin XL 300 by dropping to 150 for 4 days & then alternating every other day till I could manage longer spaces & then I was off completely within two weeks on Nov 21st 2022. 

medications: 

inhaler for asthma & singular 

magnesium 500mg/once daily 

vit D

baby aspirin 

——

Hey. Im a bit of a mess & it’s a long & complicated story but I’ll try to explain it well. Im a female, currently nursing an infant & have a history of antidepressant use. Im posting because id like any insight or encouragement. I’ll note that I’m seeing doctors, I’m not sure it’s all antidepressant based. I’ve seen an ENT for the salivary gland inflammation—he was stumped but tested me for autoimmune issues & everything was normal. I started Wellbutrin XL at 150 in July 2022, I was also taking Zoloft but went off about a month after starting Wellbutrin. went off Zoloft in August, I did a short taper (like 2 wks?).

My first side effect from Wellbutrin was mouth burning started & canker sores. This started in July. Oct 3rd burning, sensitive scalp & a rash appeared. Then later that week extreme eye pain, sinus pain, ride side neck tightness, lymph node on right side was swollen, terrible headache. Next day CT showed irritation on right side with slightly swollen salivary gland. Blood was normal but showed I was fighting a virus likely. Was (mis?)diagnosed with shingles & treated with antiviral & steroid. One sided Neck stiffness, exhaustion, scalp tingling & sensitivity & flu like symptoms continued. Extreme feelings of anxiety & depression continued throughout all of this. I was tested for autoimmune issues—all came back normal. 

Started to see connections between my symptoms & side effects of or adverse reaction to Wellbutrin others experienced.
All my adverse reaction symptoms condensed were 
Rash on my scalp
Lymph node swelling 
Confusion 
Brain fog 
Scalp tingling 
Hair loss
Muscle tension (primarily right side of my head & neck) & spasms 
Ear fullness/tinnitus 
Burning feeling on tongue 
Canker sore outbreak 
Marked increase in anxiety 
Panic attacks 
Sore/irritated throat 
Sinus pain/congestion 
TMJ/jaw tension 
Salivary gland irritation/swelling 

eye dryness & light sensitivity 

Once I got off Wellbutrin with a quick taper (I know I didn’t do it right, but was following psyche NP’s recommendations) things have improved. But I’ve had waves & windows. My waves have had rotating symptoms such as GI cramping, dizziness, sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, body aches, joint pain, a buzzing in my head, odd pressure on my scull, eye pain & dryness, sore throat, tension headaches & neck tension, sinus pressure, fatigue & general flu like symptoms.

I walk a mile daily (have since December 2022), try to eat a varied diet & am currently exploring what cutting dairy out does for my symptoms. 

Any advice? I’d say I’m 80% of my old self now in Feb ‘23. I have good weeks & bad week. Windows where I have great energy & waves where I have tension headaches & joint pain & exhaustion. I’m seeing my doctor again this week. I doubt they will believe this is related to my antidepressant—but that’s all I can figure out! 

Prozac 2012-2015• Zoloft 2018-2021 •Zoloft January 2022-August 2022 
-Wellbutrin XL 150 started July 6th 2022 

-Wellbutrin XL to 300 Sep 13th 2022. 
-Oct 3rd adverse reaction symptoms started
-Started taper off Wellbutrin Nov 12th, 2022

Got off of Wellbutrin XL 300 by dropping to 150 for 4 days & then alternating every other day till I could manage longer spaces & then I was off completely within two weeks on Nov 21st 2022. 

medications: 

inhaler for asthma & singular, magnesium 500mg, vit D, baby aspirin 

February 2023—80% recovered. Waves of withdrawal symptoms & windows of energy & pain free.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, ultra718.

You can use the following link to post your signature.  You can use what the information at the beginning of your post and this will work fine for your signature.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It does sound like you had an adverse reaction to the Wellbutrin, and it's very good you're off it now.  The fact that you're currently 80% healed is extremely encouraging.  You're likely right that your doctor won't believe all this is related to your your antidepressant.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of doctors have no knowledge of the toxic effects of these very powerful psychotropic drugs.  All too often they will suggest another drug, compounding the initial injury.  The fact that you had such a negative reaction  to the Wellbutrin would indicate the advisability of extreme caution in the future with any other psychotropic drug.  

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, including the windows/waves pattern, and many of the symptoms you named are very typical of withdrawal/adverse reaction.  The fact that the symptoms rotate is also typical.

Surviving Antidepressants - Immediate adverse …

Here are some links on withdrawal that are applicable to your adverse reaction situation.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We recommend gentle exercise, as opposed to strenuous, and generally being gentle with yourself as you recover.  If the mile walk is working for you, great.  If you feel increased symptoms after it, you might want to scale back. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, ultra718.

You can use the following link to post your signature.  You can use what the information at the beginning of your post and this will work fine for your signature.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It does sound like you had an adverse reaction to the Wellbutrin, and it's very good you're off it now.  The fact that you're currently 80% healed is extremely encouraging.  You're likely right that your doctor won't believe all this is related to your your antidepressant.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of doctors have no knowledge of the toxic effects of these very powerful psychotropic drugs.  All too often they will suggest another drug, compounding the initial injury.  The fact that you had such a negative reaction  to the Wellbutrin would indicate the advisability of extreme caution in the future with any other psychotropic drug.  

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, including the windows/waves pattern, and many of the symptoms you named are very typical of withdrawal/adverse reaction.  The fact that the symptoms rotate is also typical.

Surviving Antidepressants - Immediate adverse …

Here are some links on withdrawal that are applicable to your adverse reaction situation.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We recommend gentle exercise, as opposed to strenuous, and generally being gentle with yourself as you recover.  If the mile walk is working for you, great.  If you feel increased symptoms after it, you might want to scale back. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Thank you so much for the reply. It’s been a scary journey. I’m a young mom & don’t have time to be sick! I’m glad you say it’s encouraging I’m already feeling 80% myself. I have some really good days. I’m in the middle of a wave with head pressure, tension headaches & eye pain again. But I know it will pass. But the fear says this will never get better & I’ll be chronically ill forever now. I know in my gut that isn’t true. 

The walking works well for me, it’s been hard to continue to stay active. Just as you’ve said I’ve found myself to be very sensitive. 

I will not be going on any more medication. Especially not psychiatric. I occasionally take hydroxyzine, but that’s as close as I’ll go to meds. 

the waves & windows have been discouraging. I always have some symptom. Never completely myself. But then I think back to how far I’ve come & I know I’ll heal eventually. 

Got off of Wellbutrin XL 300 by dropping to 150 for 4 days & then alternating every other day till I could manage longer spaces & then I was off completely within two weeks on Nov 21st 2022. 

medications: 

February 2023—80% recovered. Waves of withdrawal symptoms & windows of energy & pain free.

• 3 weeks later...

Carpel Tunnel like symptoms starting in withdrawal?

Hey! 

I’m 15 wks into my cold turkey withdrawal from Wellbutrin. Overall I’m doing really well (scared to say that & jinx things). Honestly I’m amazed at how good I feel overall.

But—I still have some physical issues I’ve never had before in my life.

Currently my major issue is carpal tunnel like symptoms in my hands. Pain along my thumb, wrist, and then down my fingers. Some tingling when I put my thumb to my palm & then some pins & needles in my fingers. Primarily it’s in my dominant hand, but it’s in both to an extent. I’ve had this on & off since December (it’s March). It’s hard to type on my phone somedays when it’s really bed. 

I’ve seen my doctor about it. They said it sounds like carpal tunnel. I haven’t had any tests done, but I’ll be seeing a physical therapist next week for it. I have a 25lb 9 month old, so I have a ton of wear and tear on my hands, but I never have had issues ever before. Could this be connected to withdrawal? I’m praying it’s able to resolve. I can manage it by wearing braces at night and limiting phone time. But it’s impacting my life. Thoughts? 

Edited by Shep
added title after merging from another thread

medications: 

• Shep changed the title to ultra718: Wellbutrin—Adverse reaction, quick taper & problems
  • Moderator Emeritus

@ultra718 Please note I merged your latest post into your intro/update thread.

Please don't start any new intro threads - keep posting your questions here so all of your information is in one place. 

9 hours ago, ultra718 said:

I’ve seen my doctor about it. They said it sounds like carpal tunnel. I haven’t had any tests done, but I’ll be seeing a physical therapist next week for it.

I went through something similar about 25 years ago when my drug cocktail was switched. It involved coming off an older antidepressant and onto a newer one. Some of the older tricyclics are used as muscle relaxers, so the fact that my body started tightening up made sense that it would cause all sorts of problems. Of course, back then, the doctor didn't make the connection and neither did I. 

I first thought it might be carpal tunnel syndrome since I work on a computer, but it turned out to be tendonitis in both my wrists. I also used the wrist braces at night and went through physical therapy.

When I was through with physical therapy, the physical therapist told me about a local yoga group and I started taking yoga classes. That's what helped the most. While the pain was showing up in my wrists, the problem was actually in tight shoulders. Doing stretches to relax my shoulders and building up strength using resistance bands was very helpful. I've been doing these exercises for the past 25 years and yoga stretches certainly helped when I came off these drugs for the last time nearly 8 years ago. 

I don't know if this is what you're dealing with (while Wellbutrin isn't a muscle relaxer like the older antidepressants, many psych drugs are linked to causing joint and muscle problems and many of us experience these during withdrawal).  You may want to check with your physical therapist about long term solutions, such as building up certain muscles using resistance training, as well as stretches or yoga to help. I found sports medicine doctors to be the best for this type of problem because they are less drug-centered and more into finding the right type of exercise to help, especially long term. I'm glad you're going to a physical therapist for this. Much better than the drug-centered approach for pain. 

Please let us know how you do. 

On 3/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, Shep said:

but it turned out to be tendonitis in both my wrists. I also used the wrist braces at night and went through physical therapy.

Hey! Thanks so much, Shep. This is helpful. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually tendinitis for me too. I start PT this week—I’ll keep y’all updated. 

Im also curious. Overall my physical symptoms have improved. Tension headaches, joint pain & muscle aches have gotten so much better. But this newest wave has had fatigue & irritability & depression. My therapist has seemed to push SSRIs so much I even hesitate to even tell her I’m depressed. My anxiety is much better & that’s mainly what I see her for.

I'm just struggling with staying motived & engaged in life. Any tips for get through this wave? I’m no danger to myself or others, able to basically function normally still and such, but it’s hard & im just very down. This is the point where I’d normally go back on SSRIs. But I just can’t do that. I’m terrified at how my body would respond. 

medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, ultra718 said:

I'm just struggling with staying motived & engaged in life. Any tips for get through this wave?

You may find some helpful information here:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Hopefully as you go through PT and the pain resolves, you'll be more motivated and engaged in life. Pain will weigh anyone down, so it's no wonder you've been hit by a wave. But it's temporary. The windows will come again.

8 hours ago, Shep said:

Pain will weigh anyone down, so it's no wonder you've been hit by a wave. But it's temporary. The windows will come again.

Thank you, really appreciate it. 

medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, ultra718 said:

I start PT this week—I’ll keep y’all updated. 

Let us know how you do with PT. Hope you get some relief. 

I am so sorry you are going through this.  You are one of the first people who has withdrawal symptoms similar to mine.  I am going to get my doctor to refer me to a rheumatologist to get tested for Sjogren's.  I hope my tests are negative as well.  I wish you all the best.

November 2020 to August 2021 - Effexor 150mg

September 2021 to April 2022 - escitalopram 20mg

2-3 week taper w/ every other day dosing of 20mg initially and then every other day dosing of a 10mg pill due to severe ADR

On 3/18/2023 at 7:48 PM, Suse said:

You are one of the first people who has withdrawal symptoms similar to mine.

Hey Suse! Im so sorry you’re struggling too. I read your post and — wow— what a journey. Im glad I shared my story, I almost didn’t but I also knew I had some more unusual symptoms. Hang in there. It will get better. Im currently getting my but kicked by depression—but hey, all my physical symptoms are clearing up! So I know this one will too. 

medications: 

ultra 718.  Thank you for your kind words.  I am currently struggling with a bladder infection that I have been suffering with for 5 months.  Regular c&s testing has come back negative 6 times.  I sent a test to the States for PCR testing which came back positive.  I have been hypersensitive to just about everything including simple Tylenol, so I am really afraid I will react badly to antibiotics.  My gut is such a mess as well.  I wish you all the best.  Take care.

November 2020 to August 2021 - Effexor 150mg

September 2021 to April 2022 - escitalopram 20mg

2-3 week taper w/ every other day dosing of 20mg initially and then every other day dosing of a 10mg pill due to severe ADR

• 2 months later...

Update! I’m getting closer & closer to being able to write my success story! It’s June ‘23 & I’m 7 months out from stopping Wellbutrin. The waves & windows are real, but I’d say my life is 90% back to my normal. 

Out of all my original symptoms below, all have basically resolved but for occasional neck & back of head tension, canker sores about once a month still, some occasional eye pain when I’m really tired, and thumb tendinitis.

All my adverse reaction & withdrawal symptoms: 
Rash on my scalp
Lymph node swelling 
Confusion 
Brain fog 
Scalp tingling 
Hair loss
Muscle tension (primarily right side of my head & neck) & spasms 
Ear fullness/tinnitus 
Burning feeling on tongue 
Canker sore outbreak 
Marked increase in anxiety 
Panic attacks 
Sore/irritated throat 
Sinus pain/congestion 
TMJ/jaw tension 
Salivary gland irritation/swelling 

eye dryness & light sensitivity 
GI cramping, dizziness

sensitivity to artificial sweeteners

body aches

joint pain

a buzzing in my head

odd pressure on my scull

eye pain & dryness, sore throat

sinus pressure

fatigue & general flu like symptoms

The thumb tendinitis/carpal tunnel is the biggest issue I’m still dealing with. I believe it’s connected to my Wellbutrin adverse reaction & the muscle tension it brought with jaw & neck pain. But I’ve gotten the pain under control with occupational therapy & a brace. I may end up having to have surgery, but that has a high success rate so even then I’m not overly worried although still working to avoid surgery. 

I’ve been able to scale back my CBT to once a month & my anxiety & depression are largely manageable. I still have anxiety but it’s a background nose more than the main star of my life. I’m getting out more & pushing myself to be social, which I find really helps my depression. 

I’ve been able to take running up again & have been running 2 miles every other day for the past 2 months. I feel like physically I’ve made so much progress. I look forward to my exercise. 

I’m not 100% back to how I was before. I have more muscle tension & I still have vivid dreams at night. But I know I’m on the road to recovery & it won’t be long till I’m 100% & hopefully even better than before. 

thank you for all the support! I’ll keep y’all updated. THERE IS HOPE. 

medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, ultra718 said:

The waves & windows are real, but I’d say my life is 90% back to my normal. 

This is great, Ultra. Very glad to read of your improvements. 

You have "80% recovered" in your signature for back in February 2023, so it looks like you are making gradual but real improvements over time. 

I hope you don't need surgery for the carpel tunnel. I went through something similar with tendonitis in my wrists a number of years ago and I went to a sports medicine physical therapist who got me into yoga, which I've been doing ever since. It really loosens up the body, especially in the shoulders - tension in the shoulders can lead to pain manifesting as tendonitis and even carpel tunnel. Just a thought, in case you wish to discuss this with your occupational therapist and doctor.

I hope things continue to improve for you. 

7 hours ago, Shep said:

I hope you don't need surgery for the carpel tunnel. I went through something similar with tendonitis in my wrists a number of years ago and I went to a sports medicine physical therapist who got me into yoga, which I've been doing ever since. It really loosens up the body, especially in the shoulders - tension in the shoulders can lead to pain manifesting as tendonitis and even carpel tunnel.

This is an excellent thought, Shep! I’ll talk to my OT about yoga. I’d love to avoid surgery. 

medications: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 5:06 AM, Shep said:

Please let us know how you do

I finally met with a hand surgeon this week. They did an X-ray & he diagnosed me with slight inflammation & tendinitis. They think that continuing to splint with the OT splint will resolve it eventually. I’ve thankful learned how to keep the pain at bay & they recommend I continue to do what I’m doing.  So hopefully they are right & it will completely resolve with time. 

medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, ultra718 said:

I finally met with a hand surgeon this week. They did an X-ray & he diagnosed me with slight inflammation & tendinitis. They think that continuing to splint with the OT splint will resolve it eventually. I’ve thankful learned how to keep the pain at bay & they recommend I continue to do what I’m doing.  So hopefully they are right & it will completely resolve with time. 

This is really good news, @ultra718 Do you do a lot of repetitive work, such as typing on a computer? Make sure your posture is correct and that your arms and wrists are well supported and aren't strained.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 6:27 AM, Shep said:

Do you do a lot of repetitive work, such as typing on a computer?

I don’t. I’m a SAHP & had a baby 13 months ago who's quite big now. all that lifting of baby & a fair amount of time on my phone (I don’t have a computer) + Wellbutrin muscle tension is what I think caused it. 

medications: