Neuroplastic

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness

Lionheart

Holy moly!

There is just such a vast amount in this thread.

I can so relate to those talking about difficulty making decisions.

In fact finding motivation to get anything done takes a herculean effort.

For the last two years I have had Risperdal and Remeron added to my drug cocktail and more so in these last two years than before I have experienced anhedonia, dissociation and an inability to feel love, joy or happiness.

It’s no way for anyone to live.

A hundred years from now I’ll bet that the doctors of the day, and society in general, will look back on what psychiatry did today as being barbaric and akin to some of the vile treatments we look back on today as being barbaric.

Griqua

Lionheart did you try the injections ?

Lionheart
26 minutes ago, Griqua said:

Hi Griqua,

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. What injections are you referring to?

ChessieCat
39 minutes ago, Griqua said:

12 minutes ago, Lionheart said:

What injections are you referring to?

If you look at Griqua's drug signature your will see Risperdal Consta.

Risperdal Consta  is an injection form of risperidone.

Lionheart
25 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Risperdal Consta  is an injection form of risperidone.

Thanks, ChessieCat, I hadn't heard of it before and I haven't tried it.

Given that I'm now off Risperidone, and hope to stay off it, the point is moot but I will certainly keep the info in the back of my mind just in case.

Lionheart

Griqua
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:53 AM, a99 said:

i'm almost 14 months off and a month ago I gradually started feeling some emotions while listening to music or when I go out , the colours look more vibrant and I started feeling real again , but it doesn't last long and it's usually in the morning 

a99 how are you today and which drugs did you take ?

Ashachand28

Hi guys! I have been dealing with anhedonia since the day took a higher dosage of Elavil. I haven’t been able to care, feel, etc the same way I used to about my life and also couldn’t care less to continue living. No matter what I do my mind just doesn’t feel anything and sad to say but I can’t form well relationships with people. Does anyone know any supplements to take?

les625
11 hours ago, Ashachand28 said:

Hi guys! I have been dealing with anhedonia since the day took a higher dosage of Elavil. I haven’t been able to care, feel, etc the same way I used to about my life and also couldn’t care less to continue living. No matter what I do my mind just doesn’t feel anything and sad to say but I can’t form well relationships with people. Does anyone know any supplements to take?

You can check out the threads for supplements on the forum. Lots of people say fish oil helps with withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately something like this isn’t going to be a quick easy fix like taking a supplement. Most likely it’ll just be time off the drug, good nutrition, exercise, adequate sleep.  Just overall good lifestyle choices to help your brain recover from the stress it’s under.  It will come with time, even if it never seems like it will improve.

Jill28

Hi everyone- for those experiencing these symptoms, are you all able to cry?

i was CT from Prozac and feel zero inside and am completely unable to cry... no matter how hard I try. Sound familiar to anyone?😔

Zeipii

no real cry no laugh in 2 years. Not for a second. 

PapayaShake

Hi @Jill28

Thats a common symptom. I'm still tappering and sometimes I cry a lot, and sometimes I can't cry at all. I have tried to cry in some ocations that call for crying and it feels like something is wrong inside but I just can't cry or experiencience the sadness. 

koivukovy

is it common for people to feel their anhedonia lifting as their anxiety diminishes? I feel like the severe anxiety experienced during withdrawal, leads to more emotional blunting. Also how long did it take for the anhedonia to disappear(for the ones that have already recovered)? and was it gradual?

India
On 4/18/2012 at 6:22 PM, Nadia said:

Hi Barb,

Let me reassure you that this will improve! I was at the very depths of anhedonia some months ago, and slowly I started recovering my ability to feel pleasure. I went from feeling no love for anyone, no pleasure in anything... the most I would feel would be horror or dread or just a really bizarre feeling which I can only call derealization. Everything seemed awful and distant and cold.

Alto suggested I do the things which used to cause pleasure for me anyway... I sat in the sun, looked at flowers and trees, ate, took deep breaths, showers, drank a cup of tea, read. The progress was gradual and erratic. From anhedonia I went to depression, and disliking everything and everyone intensely. And then this past month, it's like a cloud lifted, and I feel so much better. Things that seemed absolutely horrible before seem OK now, or more like a problem that can be fixed instead of the end of the world. Nothing in my outer life has really changed, but because I can enjoy things more I can make choices about changes I need to make. The first thing I started enjoying was nature... I felt a deep thirst for trees, animals, and also food. That was a signal to me that I was "coming back to life".

I think you have to plow ahead and "fake it 'til you make it"... do things that are healthy. Walk, eat well, try some form of meditation. I often would repeat to myself "may I be happy, may I be healthy, may I be peaceful, may I be safe"... and then I added inspired and fulfilled as well. I tried to imagine and generate health, even though at the beginning it didn't feel like health or seem right.

Maybe to ultimately be happy you need to change your life situation and maybe right now you don't have the strength or the ability to do it... I suspect that was the case for me, but I was so far in the dark about everything, and everything seemed so horrible, that I could not imagine the way out. Now I'm relearning the things that I like naturally and that make me feel good and starting to be able to imagine having the gumption to take action (though I'm still taking shaky steps).

Even if you don't feel it at first, go through the motions. Sometimes it's good to socialize and get out there even if you don't like who you are with. But even better would be if you could find someone you actually enjoy spending time with (I'm still working on that one). And I think sometimes it's better to be alone or with animals! Certainly it's OK to shield yourself from toxic people in your life (as much as you are able).

I think being around animals can really help and you should not feel guilty about not being at your best with them... I know at the depths of what I was feeling I didn't even get relief from being around dogs and just didn't have the energy to take care of them (I did for a friend once, but my heart wasn't in it and I too felt guilty). I think even if you don't FEEL it at the moment, it repairs you in hidden, gradual ways. Do your best to take care of them, and let them take care of you, too.

@jozeff

Tanha
8 hours ago, India said:

Let me reassure you that this will improve! I was at the very depths of anhedonia some months ago, and slowly I started recovering my ability to feel pleasure. I went from feeling no love for anyone, no pleasure in anything... the most I would feel would be horror or dread or just a really bizarre feeling which I can only call derealization. Everything seemed awful and distant and cold.

Thank you so much for this description. 

The fact that dark emotions are coming back sort of first being a sign of a process of normalization gives me a little bit more power to see my own dark emotions as a phase and that they will hopefully abate.

nadia, are you talking about emotions normalizing after or during withdrawl?

jakethesnake

I want to share my experience with emotional anesthesia.

All my life I’ve been extremely sensitive to all of my emotions. I felt love, sadness, and joy in emotional extremes. Oftentimes these extremes were what lead to my depression.

I think what I miss most is the awe I used to feel that has been inaccessible to me ever since I started and tapered Prozac. There were many times predrug that I used to be overcome by the beauty of the world. I became obsessed by the complexity of everything. I could spend hours reading and pondering about the nature of the universe. Many times I would go outside and lay on my tramp and look up at the stars and feel so small and insignificant and utterly grateful for my life and all its nuances.

Memories are another thing that I’ve been robbed of. My life used to be defined by profound experiences: good and bad. Now I have no access to those emotional experiences. Because of this I feel robbed of not just my emotions, but my identity. I no longer feel human. I can no longer enjoy the music I listen too. I gave up playing the guitar months ago. I just can’t feel the words I sing. They mean nothing to me.

Perhaps the my most disturbing symptom of my emotional anesthesia is my reduced empathy. I used to be highly sensitive to the feeling of others. This often extended beyond people and into the feelings of animals. A couple of months ago when my dog ran away however, I couldn’t feel anything. I was horrified and I wanted to grieve but the emotions wouldn’t come. When my sister cried for a week straight, I just couldn’t relate to her pain.

I really miss who I once was, and I’m hoping to god my emotions eventually return, but that’s not a guarantee. I think the best thing for me is to accept that I might never be the same and I’m just going to have to live with that.

For anyone suffering from these symptom I’m really sorry you have to go through this. I know just how painful this symptom can be and I wish you all the best.