Jump to content
Neuroplastic

Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

Recommended Posts

Offforgood
1 hour ago, Petunia said:

 

I think we have all had similar feelings when going through the worst of it. For me, the thought I would never get better and that I would be stuck like this was one of those things I had to get very good at ignoring. The added anxiety it caused wasn't helpful and I knew, from everything I read that it wasn't true anyway.  I was going to get better, even if it didn't feel like it at the time.

 

I remember the first time I heard myself laugh, after having not found anything funny for a very long time. It was a shock actually and such a relief. I thought I had lost my sense of humor for ever. You just need to hang in there and know your normal emotions are going to return when they are ready. This is temporary. Don't think in terms of the next year, that's too overwhelming. You don't know what's going to happen in a year. Focus on getting through each day. Each day you get through is one step closer to being healed.

i have had one day of feeling great since i stopped taking meds on july 22, 2017--i know i was on meds for 28 years and in massive doses and i took EVERY med out there and to this day, i am angry that i followed my psych doc so blindly but i think that is one of my issues that i let a bad situation go on too long and i am struggling with that issue in therapy--i am at my 5 1/2 month point of ending all meds and i have read that sometimes at the 5.6.and or 7 month stretch the withdrawal symptoms get worse or come back or whatever-- and i have also read that they may reappear after a year off-- i just cant handle this prognosis--maybe i should stop reading the posts on these sites because i seem to get more discouraged-- i am back to total apathy and not caring about doing anything when i thought i was slowly coming out of it this past December--then bam!  i want to enjoy life again, i wan to look forward to things, i want to look forward but whatever is happening to me makes me stuck in this quagmire of negativity and past hurts, insults and betrayals-- i wonder since i lived so long this way whether i am just used to this way of thinking and i dont know how to think anything else-- i dont need to be deleriously happy but i would like to be content-- and go with the flow at least-- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offforgood
Just now, Offforgood said:

i have had one day of feeling great since i stopped taking meds on july 22, 2017--i know i was on meds for 28 years and in massive doses and i took EVERY med out there and to this day, i am angry that i followed my psych doc so blindly but i think that is one of my issues that i let a bad situation go on too long and i am struggling with that issue in therapy--i am at my 5 1/2 month point of ending all meds and i have read that sometimes at the 5.6.and or 7 month stretch the withdrawal symptoms get worse or come back or whatever-- and i have also read that they may reappear after a year off-- i just cant handle this prognosis--maybe i should stop reading the posts on these sites because i seem to get more discouraged-- i am back to total apathy and not caring about doing anything when i thought i was slowly coming out of it this past December--then bam!  i want to enjoy life again, i wan to look forward to things, i want to look forward but whatever is happening to me makes me stuck in this quagmire of negativity and past hurts, insults and betrayals-- i wonder since i lived so long this way whether i am just used to this way of thinking and i dont know how to think anything else-- i dont need to be deleriously happy but i would like to be content-- and go with the flow at least-- 

i admire the people who can not  just say get through each day but can actually do it--i guess i am doing it since i am still here but i feel confused unfocused and sometimes just plain scared of life 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry4949
12 hours ago, Offforgood said:

i admire the people who can not  just say get through each day but can actually do it--i guess i am doing it since i am still here but i feel confused unfocused and sometimes just plain scared of life 

Offforgood this is me to a tee , at 6 months I had such a bad wave of depression and again at 8 months now I have hit 10 months the wave is so bad some days severe depression but the apathy and anhendonia is the worst even on the less depressive days I feel so empty of life no joy no motivation this is when I am at my suicidel worst because I can’t even feel any hope of getting better , even if I read recovery stories try and do anything to distract my mind that awfull emptiness is there to me that’s why suicide is all ways prominent because who wants to live their life like that, it’s the end of life and trying to find a reason to keep going makes it worse as you feel like you have failed I don’t know how long this lasts I have read of people suffering for years there are no cures so it does begger the question is it all worth it , if I won a million pound tomorrow it would make me feel no different , I just wander through the days praying for a miracle that doesn’t come 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 6/8/2011 at 10:35 AM, Druid said:

Great question NP...

 

I can strongly relate to everything You wrote Punar great post.. I'm so sorry to hear that You have to experience this horrible and inhumane condition too i send all hope to You that this will resolve for You very soon.

 

I guess our feelings are the essence of the human experience and most of life revolves around how we "feel" about something. So for me Anhedonia has a profound effect on my whole life on so many levels. Punar I struggle to interact with other people and life in general too because of this symptom. I often recluse and isolate because i struggle to relate. It's like a depression but not depression in that nothing i can do seems to impact it in any way. It's like the ultimate chemically induced depression.

 

It even seems to make any decision making almost impossible, from hundreds of small decisions that we make almost subconsciously every day to larger more obvious ones. It's like when we make a decision we imagine say two or more possible paths or choices we might take.. we think about each separate scenario of action and consequence and then try to imagine how we feel about each outcome and therefore decide based on this information.. but how are we supposed to differentiate without having our feelings to guide us?.. I know there are many other variables that we take into account in this process but for me personally it's my feelings that have always been the stronger and most prominent guide..

 

Anhedonia seems to effect my memory too. Because i feel numbed in real time/ present.. and can't access my feelings i also lose the clarity and vividness of memories, because i cant access my feelings from past experiences either, because it would seem that memories are not just pictures we recall but when we hear an old song or have a memory triggered etc and it takes us back to a certain time or place or person, there is such a strong feeling accompanying this experience to complete it.. this feeling is often missing and i can only glance that distant memory for a fleeting moment unable to hold onto that moment and memory that is rightfully mine.. As a consequence to this I feel like a lot of my life and experiences even before these drugs has been stolen from me.

 

I feel like an observer of my own life rather than participating and living in the moment as i once did.

In a cruel irony negative emotions seem to be intensified. I do have very brief respite from time to time when i am able to glimpse my former passion and self for one beautiful bitter sweet moment only to lose myself again seconds later. I pray that these precious moments are windows that i am allowed to look through and glance a little into how i will feel in the future, when more healing has taken place..

 

Motivation is a fickle friend when as Punar explained so well, pleasure, reward and sense of accomplishment are missing, Apathy seems to conquer all to easily, and as a friend once pointed out to me, hate is not the opposite of love apathy is...

I'm struggling SO much with this. I know that you wrote this post a LONG time ago, but please tell me if it gets better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 12/29/2017 at 2:47 PM, brassmonkey said:

You can't fight against it.  This is a drug induced sensation that we have no control over.  Trying to fight it or over come it just burns a lot of energy and causes a huge amount of frustration and anxiety because it doesn't help anything.  The emotions, feelings of joy, happiness, love and excitement as well as creativity, ambition and a whole lot more are being chemically suppressed and for the time being are just not accessible. Acceptance of the situation is the best path to follow.  As you reduce your dose further and your body has a chance to heal your emotions and all will slowly start to come back, but it does take a lot of time.  As I mentioned in the post you quoted, at the time I was off all drugs for five months I was still having some trouble with lack of feelings.  I am now rapidly approaching 10 months off and still am having the occasional bout with it. But things are so much better than they were when I was still tapering.

 

One thing I did learn was to look for and cherish all the little moments of joy.  They actually are popping up all the time, but are very fleeting and easily overlooked.  When you look at a flower, instead of thinking "darn, I can't enjoy this flower", watch for the momentary little flash of joy that that flower brings when you first see it, and acknowledge it when it happens.  Stop and try to see the beauty in things, even if you don't feel it. "Wow, the sun on those clouds is really pretty, one day soon I will feel it again".  Stop and recognize the joy/wonder in the scene, but let your body react in it's own manner.  This exercise will help reestablish the neural pathways and little by little dig out and strengthen the feelings.

 

Like the rest of ADWD it is a tortuously long slow process that can be very frustrating, but in the end is so worth all the effort. 

Should I worry that I C/T 6 months ago and I haven't had even a glimpse of my emotions returning since then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 1/15/2018 at 9:41 AM, Terry4949 said:

Offforgood this is me to a tee , at 6 months I had such a bad wave of depression and again at 8 months now I have hit 10 months the wave is so bad some days severe depression but the apathy and anhendonia is the worst even on the less depressive days I feel so empty of life no joy no motivation this is when I am at my suicidel worst because I can’t even feel any hope of getting better , even if I read recovery stories try and do anything to distract my mind that awfull emptiness is there to me that’s why suicide is all ways prominent because who wants to live their life like that, it’s the end of life and trying to find a reason to keep going makes it worse as you feel like you have failed I don’t know how long this lasts I have read of people suffering for years there are no cures so it does begger the question is it all worth it , if I won a million pound tomorrow it would make me feel no different , I just wander through the days praying for a miracle that doesn’t come 

Hey Terry, how are you feeing? Have you noticed any of your emotions starting to return yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 1/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, Offforgood said:

i have had one day of feeling great since i stopped taking meds on july 22, 2017--i know i was on meds for 28 years and in massive doses and i took EVERY med out there and to this day, i am angry that i followed my psych doc so blindly but i think that is one of my issues that i let a bad situation go on too long and i am struggling with that issue in therapy--i am at my 5 1/2 month point of ending all meds and i have read that sometimes at the 5.6.and or 7 month stretch the withdrawal symptoms get worse or come back or whatever-- and i have also read that they may reappear after a year off-- i just cant handle this prognosis--maybe i should stop reading the posts on these sites because i seem to get more discouraged-- i am back to total apathy and not caring about doing anything when i thought i was slowly coming out of it this past December--then bam!  i want to enjoy life again, i wan to look forward to things, i want to look forward but whatever is happening to me makes me stuck in this quagmire of negativity and past hurts, insults and betrayals-- i wonder since i lived so long this way whether i am just used to this way of thinking and i dont know how to think anything else-- i dont need to be deleriously happy but i would like to be content-- and go with the flow at least-- 

Did your anhedonia eventually totally recover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 1/14/2018 at 11:50 AM, Gridley said:

Anhedonia and lack of motivation can also be symptoms of withdrawal.

But do they repair themselves eventually? I read somewhere that dopamine receptors are usually permanently damaged without the ability to regenerate. I hope that this is not the case, because i took wellbutrin and one of the main mechanisms for action works on dopamine receptors by down regulating them. Meaning that I could be stuck in this meaningless pit of emotional nothingness. It feels like everything is SO pointless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brassmonkey

Hi Hellbutrin --  to quote the last line of my post that you quoted above "it is a tortuously long slow process that can be very frustrating".  You appear to be doing quite well for being 6 months out from a CT.  Your emotions, passion and excitement for life are all still in there, and they will eventually start to show themselves, but you're going to have to be patient for a while longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrainDead

I'm 11 months off of psych drugs. The anhedonia has been there for most of the time.Basically, I don't give a f*ck about anything..My mind just thinks "whatever..." when I think of doing anything meaningful. I Have no motivation to do anything. I've been dizzy the entire 11 months I've been off of the meds, so I mostly lay in bed unless I need to get water or a quick snack.

 

I can't shower because it's too exhausting. I can't prepare any meals because it's too tiring. Sometimes I have the energy to brush my teeth, usually when they start to hurt or something. 

 

I've been wanting to go to the doctor to find out why I feel dizzy all the time, but guess what? My mind just doesn't seem to care enough to go..

 

I've been wanting to go to the dentist because I'm 1000% sure I have infections in my mouth, but my mind can't seem to care enough to go.

 

Just recently I have been unable to swallow my food properly, and it feels like food gets stuck in my throat. Well, I just don't have enough f*cks in me to find out what's wrong.

 

It's like I'm brain dead..dazed all the time..wanting to feel better but literally incapable of taking the steps I need to take to get there.

 

This is how I've been feeling for 11 months. Apparently I'll be feeling like this for another decade, if not a lifetime..whatever f*ck it sh*t happens..sigh..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout
27 minutes ago, BrainDead said:

I'm 11 months off of psych drugs. The anhedonia has been there for most of the time.Basically, I don't give a f*ck about anything..My mind just thinks "whatever..." when I think of doing anything meaningful. I Have no motivation to do anything. I've been dizzy the entire 11 months I've been off of the meds, so I mostly lay in bed unless I need to get water or a quick snack.

 

I can't shower because it's too exhausting. I can't prepare any meals because it's too tiring. Sometimes I have the energy to brush my teeth, usually when they start to hurt or something. 

 

I've been wanting to go to the doctor to find out why I feel dizzy all the time, but guess what? My mind just doesn't seem to care enough to go..

 

I've been wanting to go to the dentist because I'm 1000% sure I have infections in my mouth, but my mind can't seem to care enough to go.

 

Just recently I have been unable to swallow my food properly, and it feels like food gets stuck in my throat. Well, I just don't have enough f*cks in me to find out what's wrong.

 

It's like I'm brain dead..dazed all the time..wanting to feel better but literally incapable of taking the steps I need to take to get there.

 

This is how I've been feeling for 11 months. Apparently I'll be feeling like this for another decade, if not a lifetime..whatever f*ck it sh*t happens..sigh..

This sounds bad. Maybe this is not working for you. It sounds life threatening. Maybe it’s time to try something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrainDead
1 hour ago, Downbutnotout said:

This sounds bad. Maybe this is not working for you. It sounds life threatening. Maybe it’s time to try something else. 

what should I try? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout

I’m sorry. I don’t have an answer for you. I guess I shouldn’t have said anything. It gets to a point where we have to make decisions about what we think is best for ourselves. That’s the point I’m getting at too. Maybe go to the doctor to find out why your dizzy. Go to the dentist to fix your teeth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brassmonkey

Hi BrainDead-  You are going to get  lot better response to your questions if you ask them in your intro thread instead of one of these lesser visited threads.  That way we can have all your information together in one place and can get a better idea of what is going on.  Having your drug history listed in a signature block would be of real help too.  Oh, and by the way, this is a family site with a number of members who are minors so we ask everyone to be mindful of their language.

 

Brassmonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout
On 12/28/2017 at 3:51 PM, Downbutnotout said:

How did you fight against it? This is my main problem right now. 

 Think it came when I took lithium gir 10 days. But isn’t this part of depression? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin

Hi all,

 

Are there any success reports of individuals who struggled specifically with anhedonia and recovered? I've searched but I haven't found any. All of the results that I've found when I've searched are pretty grim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin

I could use some feedback about this if any forum users have seen their anhedonia go away completely. If you have, what does the process for recovery look like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offforgood
On 2/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Did your anhedonia eventually totally recover?

No still struggling with it in my 7th month of no antidepressants.. still little joy in life and feel disassociated with life.. want to find joy and purpose in my life or what is the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 2/14/2018 at 1:26 AM, Offforgood said:

No still struggling with it in my 7th month of no antidepressants.. still little joy in life and feel disassociated with life.. want to find joy and purpose in my life or what is the point?

Yes, I am also in month 7 and depression and anhedonia are the two symptoms that I primarily struggle with. Have you seen any fluctuation in your symptoms so far or have they just pretty much been a steady state of misery? I haven't had ONE solid window in all of this time. It's INCREDIBLE to me that the one thing that should never be able to be taken from us is our connection with ourselves and this condition completely ravages our self relationship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSRIamNot

The news seems so bad - Why even freaking taper.  I don't have 20 years of my life to devote to being miserable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout
22 minutes ago, SSRIamNot said:

The news seems so bad - Why even freaking taper.  I don't have 20 years of my life to devote to being miserable.

Some people on here have great success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSRIamNot

I guess it is human nature to only reach out when hurting.  It sure would be nice to hear more success stories.  It gets really discouraging.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout

You’re preaching to the choir. I’m wondering myself about how appropriate this whole thing is to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barbarannamated

If at all possible, try to think of something you enjoyed PRIOR to being on drugs and see if that elicits any slight stirrings, even watching a video on YouTube.  My theory is that we are disconnected from feelings of pleasure we may have had while on the drugs.  

 

You will likely have mixed emotions if you can't physically get out of bed yet, but latch onto ANYTHING to enjoy again.  

 

I really do understand this and relate to all that's been shared.  It's torture.  :(

 

(My case is extremely complex) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry4949
On 15/02/2018 at 11:17 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Yes, I am also in month 7 and depression and anhedonia are the two symptoms that I primarily struggle with. Have you seen any fluctuation in your symptoms so far or have they just pretty much been a steady state of misery? I haven't had ONE solid window in all of this time. It's INCREDIBLE to me that the one thing that should never be able to be taken from us is our connection with ourselves and this condition completely ravages our self relationship. 

Hellbutrin as of the 1st of March it will be twelve months of for me and depression and anhendonia are far worse no windows either also now the last few weeks I have started waking up with such inner rage it’s unbelievable I feel so angry at everything even if my dog barks I want to explode I have a steady state of misery no fluctuations I spend most of my days thinking what’s the point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout
10 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

Hellbutrin as of the 1st of March it will be twelve months of for me and depression and anhendonia are far worse no windows either also now the last few weeks I have started waking up with such inner rage it’s unbelievable I feel so angry at everything even if my dog barks I want to explode I have a steady state of misery no fluctuations I spend most of my days thinking what’s the point 

 I started counseling today with a different person. Have you two tried this? I think if we keep waiting for this just to happen on its own, it’s not going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offforgood
On 2/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Yes, I am also in month 7 and depression and anhedonia are the two symptoms that I primarily struggle with. Have you seen any fluctuation in your symptoms so far or have they just pretty much been a steady state of misery? I haven't had ONE solid window in all of this time. It's INCREDIBLE to me that the one thing that should never be able to be taken from us is our connection with ourselves and this condition completely ravages our self relationship. 

I find it hard to evaluate what i m going through. People around me tell me how much I am improved but I still feel no joy r motivation.  I got a couple of flashes of excitement maybe a minute at most and I feel almost wondrous that it happened and later I think how cruel it was like it was almost taunting me.  I m in a bad state today feel like I am going backward.. depressed, tired and total lack of motivation.  I m really discouraged today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry4949
8 hours ago, Offforgood said:

I find it hard to evaluate what i m going through. People around me tell me how much I am improved but I still feel no joy r motivation.  I got a couple of flashes of excitement maybe a minute at most and I feel almost wondrous that it happened and later I think how cruel it was like it was almost taunting me.  I m in a bad state today feel like I am going backward.. depressed, tired and total lack of motivation.  I m really discouraged today.

Offforgood I understand how you are feeling I see so many of us in this position on here everyday we hope that we will see that glimmer of hope or improvement but when it doesn’t come it’s a hard road I am definitely worse now than I was 12 months ago and like you I feel like I’m going backwards it is very hard when we feel no joy or have no motivation as everything becomes a daily struggle I hope soon we see some sort of a window just to give us enough hope that this does all end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aberdeen
On 2/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, Hellbutrin said:

It's INCREDIBLE to me that the one thing that should never be able to be taken from us is our connection with ourselves and this condition completely ravages our self relationship. 

This!

Its inhumane and a crime that prescription medication can do this to a human being. I struggled so much with that but I just wanted to pop in and offer some hope. Before I pooped out anhedonia was the first thing that started. Then I crashed and was overwhelmed with so many hideously terrifying symptoms the anhedonia was buried. When I settled somewhat and began my slow taper, the symptoms slowly lifted, over the years of tapering, until after being off completely for some time I noticed my windows were long and nearly complete returns to "normal"....except for anhedonia. This has by far been the longest and most persistent symptom. However, recently I am noticing that I take actual joy in beautiful landscapes around me again, and have a strong desire to get back to painting, photography, and music has the ability to stir me again. While I still struggle with being lazy and not taking much action towards these feelings (like taking a painting class or actually getting supplies and doing it) I am AMAZED I even feel like it at all compared to the stone statue of myself that I was for 7-8 years. Its a big difference but happened very slowly. As for why bothering to taper, I tried coming off a large Effexor dose within 3 months and suffered so terribly its hard to even describe. After settling on Paxil where I can't say I stabilized, but for sure healed from the worst of the crisis period....my symptoms during the subsequent 4+ year taper were nothing compared to the hell I experienced when doing it too fast. Its very much worth going slowly. In my experience anyway. But have hope...I think this anhedonia is leaving me. I feel colour seeping back into my sense of self and it helps re-connect with the "me-ness" that makes us individual humans (if that makes sense). The absolute loss of self and our memories, feelings,thoughts, thrills, sorrows, emotions....is horrifying...but I have healed SO much from this. I'm definitely coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offforgood

Hi Aberdeen

i m so happy for you and envious .. I have been living with anhedonia for years both on and now off meds.. in fact the reason why I got off meds basically ct was because of the anhedonia.. i m going into my 8th month without meds and it has been and still is at times terrifying.. my prolonged history being on meds and overmedicated most of the time is in my profile.. I realize but still can’t accept that I may have this anhedonia for years since at age 69 I don’t think I have that much time.. but I m happy for you and hope I will get there too .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
5 hours ago, aberdeen said:

This!

Its inhumane and a crime that prescription medication can do this to a human being. I struggled so much with that but I just wanted to pop in and offer some hope. Before I pooped out anhedonia was the first thing that started. Then I crashed and was overwhelmed with so many hideously terrifying symptoms the anhedonia was buried. When I settled somewhat and began my slow taper, the symptoms slowly lifted, over the years of tapering, until after being off completely for some time I noticed my windows were long and nearly complete returns to "normal"....except for anhedonia. This has by far been the longest and most persistent symptom. However, recently I am noticing that I take actual joy in beautiful landscapes around me again, and have a strong desire to get back to painting, photography, and music has the ability to stir me again. While I still struggle with being lazy and not taking much action towards these feelings (like taking a painting class or actually getting supplies and doing it) I am AMAZED I even feel like it at all compared to the stone statue of myself that I was for 7-8 years. Its a big difference but happened very slowly. As for why bothering to taper, I tried coming off a large Effexor dose within 3 months and suffered so terribly its hard to even describe. After settling on Paxil where I can't say I stabilized, but for sure healed from the worst of the crisis period....my symptoms during the subsequent 4+ year taper were nothing compared to the hell I experienced when doing it too fast. Its very much worth going slowly. In my experience anyway. But have hope...I think this anhedonia is leaving me. I feel colour seeping back into my sense of self and it helps re-connect with the "me-ness" that makes us individual humans (if that makes sense). The absolute loss of self and our memories, feelings,thoughts, thrills, sorrows, emotions....is horrifying...but I have healed SO much from this. I'm definitely coming back.

Knowing that it's possible for this condition to last YEARS is so completely and utterly terrifying that I don't have words for it. I C/T from Wellbutrin 7 months ago and since then I haven't had one single window where I've felt even close to normal. I'm too far along in C/T to reinstate, so I'm terrified that I might have drawn out my PAWS because I didn't taper. I still have significant depression and anxiety but I think I'm learning to live with the constant misery that has become my everyday existence. I know how profound that sounds, but it's genuinely the way that I feel. I started taking wellbutrin to help with some mild anxiety that I had related to starting graduate school two years ago. I NEVER had depression prior to taking the medication. I can't stress that enough, this drug has not only ROBBED me completely of my ability to feel happy but it has also catapulted me into periods of suicidal depression. I can only describe these periods as suicidal depression, because the inability to think about anything other than my own misery makes me want to literally DIE. There's nothing going on in my life that would make me sad or depressed enough to actually fall into a depression because of my life circumstances. If anything, my life is going really well right now, and I don't have any reason to feel depressed. I guess I would describe it as more of a chemical depression, my mind doesn't have the ability or energy to gravitate towards anything positive because of how anxious and depressed I am constantly. I keep waiting for the infamous windows to come, but I haven't seen any fluctuation in my symptoms enough to characterize what I feel as a window. I just pray to god that this isn't a permanent state for me, and that I will start to improve. I keep hearing that 7 months is too early in withdrawal to start noticing improvements, but I can't imagine being stuck this way for years. It's hell on earth. Did your anhedonia gradually improve or go in a windows and waves pattern?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
4 hours ago, Offforgood said:

Hi Aberdeen

i m so happy for you and envious .. I have been living with anhedonia for years both on and now off meds.. in fact the reason why I got off meds basically ct was because of the anhedonia.. i m going into my 8th month without meds and it has been and still is at times terrifying.. my prolonged history being on meds and overmedicated most of the time is in my profile.. I realize but still can’t accept that I may have this anhedonia for years since at age 69 I don’t think I have that much time.. but I m happy for you and hope I will get there too .. 

Hi Offforgood,

 

Have you seen any definitive proof that anhedonia does eventually totally go away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apathetic

Goodbye apathy!
It's possible to feel again. Acceptance combined with patience is the key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offforgood

Hi Hellbutrin

i only have seen a few posts on here where anhedonia goes away but it seems to take years.  Very discouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aberdeen

I have seen 2 examples today while reading of people who recovered. I dont know their timeframe. One is Songbird and one is ChessieCat. I did have anhedonia for years, however I was either on high doses or tapering for almost all of that time frame. Once I was completely off is when I noticed it going away in a window/wave pattern, not a gradual linear or sudden thing by any means. I know what you mean about the little flashes and how cruel they are. I think my recovery from anhedonia once I was off the meds would have been more complete/fast were I not a middle aged woman going through a major hormonal shift. Many symptoms of peri-menopause in women involve exactly this sort of thing. I know how much hormones can wreak havoc as the post-baby hormones are exactly what landed me on these drugs in the first place. So consider this, when my timeline seems frightening. I think a lot of women find our healing more complex/lengthened by the impact of changing reproductive hormone levels. It probably won't take as long as you fear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout

I am very concerned I have something else wrong with me. I did start out with a depression. It’s turned into something much worse. I wish it was as simple as updosing. I think I’m missing something more important here. Could there be other factors contributing to this? Maybe it’s not one size fits all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy