SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

Neuroplastic

1 hour ago, BrokenWings said:

I am sure you will begin to recover once you are off Zoloft. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I believe it was a result of the drugs and probably other factors played a role. It took some time but I no longer have hypothyroidism and I contribute that to no longer being on Zoloft, no longer consuming alcohol, and changing my diet. I wish you well on your path towards recovery

Thank you so much, BrokenWings, for this post.  It gives me great hope.  Yes, I've changed my diet as well though I'm sure it still needs some work, and I seldom (if at all) drink alcohol.  I'm so happy to hear that you have recovered from the hypothyroidism.  🙂  Here's to healing from these drugs.  

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

On 1/18/2022 at 6:56 AM, julesb said:

I’ve read the symptoms of other people with depersonalization and it seems to match up with me but then i second guess myself and think i have something far more worse like damage that won’t ever be repaired.

Yes yes and yes. Honestly I’ve found staying away from forums to be the absolute best for this and just accepting how you are at this time. Trying to fight it always just make me feel worst. I never feel amazing anymore but some days I feel ok to pretty good but the more I think about it the worst I feel which is pretty obvious staying busy is a must. 

ive started drinking ATP gutright and taking atp alpha Mars/Jupiter (testosterone supplement) and truly feeling a lot better energy and mood wise. Highly recommend it

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

i find this really helps when I’m feeling extremely low and hopeless, I really hope it helps you guys to. I’m starting to just let go and realise nothing I do will really change anything so all I can do is accept this was the life I was given.

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Thank you for that video i’ll have to listen. I was just in the hospital for a few days because my potassium was extremely low. I had to get a bunch of potassium in me through and IV. I had terrible panic attacks while being there and after one of them i noticed that all of my progress i made within a month or 2 is completely gone. I feel very very numb again emotion wise and physical. I really do hope i can regain this progress.

zoloft 50-100 mg 2012-2020

Reinstated zoloft 50mg for 2 months 2021 and switched back to Lexapro 10mg 

Reinstated 10mg 2021 later that year July-september 2021

Reinstated after 4 week withdrawal for 4 days plus lamictal 5mg october 16th

Wellbutrin 100mg for 2 days November 2021

Currently on nothing  

On 1/3/2022 at 10:47 PM, gardenlady said:

No, I slow-tapered Cymbalta for 4.5 years and had anhedonia the entire time.  I still have it since completing my taper four months ago.  

I have read that it can take some people a few months to a couple years after they finish their taper to start feeling again. I’ve read people to say so. One guy it took two years after his taper ended.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

36 minutes ago, ThatOneGirlStitch said:

I said I'd post some stories, so here they are:

Sounds good :)). 

Ad's since 2016 (I was 16 then...) (Escitalopram) 

Nov 2018 switch to venlafaxin 150mg

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Reinstated venla 150mg in Juli 2020.

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

Current dose 50mg venlafaxin

No other medication. 

No supplements

Stopped smoking 29.12.2021

No alcohol 

Hello everyone, Earlier I posted stories of people who have recovered or made progress with anhedonia. I have been made aware that the I stories I posted might possibly be copyrighted by it's site to protect its members and is against SA's policies. Using their post with out their consent was unthoughtful of me. So I am posting the links so that people can still seen them.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=259904.%1$d

Last post on the first page

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=180521.0

First post, last paragraph 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=61268.30

Fourth post, Fourth paragraph 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=64437.20

First post

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=256448.0

First post, He has a paragraph about it in the middle.

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

So recovery from this is actually possible? 

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

2 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

So recovery from this is actually possible? 

Yes of course. Why shouldn't it be reversible?

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

8 minutes ago, kostakonkordia said:

Yes of course. Why shouldn't it be reversible?

Idk, I just really don’t feel well. 😕 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

Just now, Alenah said:

@OptimisticRP what other symptoms do you have besides anhedonia if you don’t mind me asking?

Shaking(like shivering) - anxiety and brain fog. Nausea and appetite and eating issues. Hopelessness and depression and intrusive thoughts. Depersonalization and derealization And sexual dysfunction. I am thinking off the top of my head, some stomach pains as well. 

@OptimisticRP a lot of those sound similar. Especially the dpdr, depression, and intrusive thoughts. It does get better it is just a really slow process.

May 13th 2021: One dose 50mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please stay on topic.  Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

If you are in a discussion with another member about something that is not about this topic please take the discussion to:

Their Introduction topic

OR

Find the relevant topic and take the conversation there so that other members can read it

OR

If it is about a specific topic and there is no existing topic, start a new topic in Symptoms and Self Care forum

OR

Start a topic in Off Topic forum

OR

chat with them via PM

THANK YOU

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

6 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please stay on topic.  Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

If you are in a discussion with another member about something that is not about this topic please take the discussion to:

Their Introduction topic

OR

Find the relevant topic and take the conversation there so that other members can read it

OR

If it is about a specific topic and there is no existing topic, start a new topic in Symptoms and Self Care forum

OR

Start a topic in Off Topic forum

OR

chat with them via PM

THANK YOU

Okok no problem, thanks for the reminder. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

Does anyone worry about supplements they have taken in the past or take now that could have worsened there condition in someway? I know its the anxiety talking but I've been in a steady decline this whole time (1 year 1 month)  pretty much but seemed like i was getting a lot better around the 6 month mark but just seemed to get worst after then and i always wonder Was it something i took/ate?  For a while i was drinking Anti-infammatory smoothies with ginger in them everyday then i go reading on the PSSD forums that ginger crashes people etc or taking vitamins and people saying it made them worst. I dont know if they are the cause and know a lot of us struggling probably already have OCD and anxiety i and know its pointless to even think about it either way as i will never know. But i wish i never got on some forums in the first place as it just feeds the anxiety and unknowing. I'am rambling but does anyone else think feel the same way about supplements and reading stories of other people saying it "crashed" them etc? 

It just sucks because i want to take supplements/vitamins sometimes but the thought of just making myself worst drives me insane. I just feel like i genuinely don't want to live in a world that now everything in some way can harm me, freaking vitamins for gods sake? 

From what I'm understanding there seems to be a distinction between what is labeled as anhedonia and emotional blunting/emotional anesthesia.  I don't know if they have similar mechanisms or what seems to cause on over the other. I notice that a lot of people on this topic forum struggle with anxiety and anhedonia where they can't feel anything pleasurable or good feelings. Personally, I can't even feel anxious our get upset most of the time. This really hit me hard yesterday when our family pet passed away. It was such a struggle for me because I knew I should be upset and logically I wanted to be yet I could barely force a tear out of me. Overall, I don't really feel sad, anxious, or down at all but primarily just feel little emotions at all.

Reading the success stories posted on here, it's seems like there have been a lot of individuals that have recovered from anhedonia but I haven't found many at all that talk about recovery from  emotional numbness/blunting. I've done a search of "emotional anesthesia" under the success stories but I've only seen one recovery that mentions emotional anesthesia where it was still present but improved.  It's hard not to feel that we are in a different category than anhedonia recovery. 

Do you think this means those of us with the numbing have more universal damage? I am blessed to be having windows where my headaches, brain fog, and fatigue let up but nothing seems to change with the emotions.

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 9 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 8 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 7 2021

Pristiq 25 mg - Oct 6 2021 

4 hours ago, Jnthnslo said:

From what I'm understanding there seems to be a distinction between what is labeled as anhedonia and emotional blunting/emotional anesthesia.  I don't know if they have similar mechanisms or what seems to cause on over the other. I notice that a lot of people on this topic forum struggle with anxiety and anhedonia where they can't feel anything pleasurable or good feelings. Personally, I can't even feel anxious our get upset most of the time. This really hit me hard yesterday when our family pet passed away. It was such a struggle for me because I knew I should be upset and logically I wanted to be yet I could barely force a tear out of me. Overall, I don't really feel sad, anxious, or down at all but primarily just feel little emotions at all.

Reading the success stories posted on here, it's seems like there have been a lot of individuals that have recovered from anhedonia but I haven't found many at all that talk about recovery from  emotional numbness/blunting. I've done a search of "emotional anesthesia" under the success stories but I've only seen one recovery that mentions emotional anesthesia where it was still present but improved.  It's hard not to feel that we are in a different category than anhedonia recovery. 

Do you think this means those of us with the numbing have more universal damage? I am blessed to be having windows where my headaches, brain fog, and fatigue let up but nothing seems to change with the emotions.

No I don't think you have permanent damage. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/long-covid-antibodies-in-cerebrospinal-fluid-linked-with-brain-fog

I already posted this in the brain fog section. They found high antibody count in the cerebrospinal fluid of long covid patients with brain fog. They assume brain fog comes from neuroinflammation. Something to think about... 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

On 1/18/2022 at 11:33 PM, Nic123 said:

Yes yes and yes. Honestly I’ve found staying away from forums to be the absolute best for this and just accepting how you are at this time. Trying to fight it always just make me feel worst. I never feel amazing anymore but some days I feel ok to pretty good but the more I think about it the worst I feel which is pretty obvious staying busy is a must. 

ive started drinking ATP gutright and taking atp alpha Mars/Jupiter (testosterone supplement) and truly feeling a lot better energy and mood wise. Highly recommend it

I'm glad you are finding ways to cope! Also feeling ok to goodish is a great step.

History:

12 hours ago, Jnthnslo said:

Overall, I don't really feel sad, anxious, or down at all but primarily just feel little emotions at all.

I have read about users that couldn't cry.

The user here couldn't cry. He recovered.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=259904.msg3287140#msg3287140

First page last post.

another one

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=28912.msg530155#msg530155

second post on the page

Is this what you where looking for?

History:

18 hours ago, Jnthnslo said:

im identical to you in that aspect. Not so much anhedonia although I have that but it’s more just a full brain nothingness feeling. I close my eyes it’s simply darkness and empty/nothing. I saw another poster here who describes it identically what I have and they still suffer from it. It’s literally like Being disconnected from reality in some strange way. Even looking at things in front of me dont “hit” anymore. Like my brain doesn’t process what it’s seeing properly and I’m just hazed over. My cognition has improved a lot though so there is atleast that.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, Nic123 said:

im identical to you in that aspect. Not so much anhedonia although I have that but it’s more just a full brain nothingness feeling. I close my eyes it’s simply darkness and empty/nothing. I saw another poster here who describes it identically what I have and they still suffer from it. It’s literally like Being disconnected from reality in some strange way. Even looking at things in front of me dont “hit” anymore. Like my brain doesn’t process what it’s seeing properly and I’m just hazed over. My cognition has improved a lot though so there is atleast that.

I got that darkness when eyes closed since 9 years and at the same time,  I don't longer even hear my inner monologue, I can't remember a single day, where I had it back, it's like beeing dead already, there is ZERO spirituality in my mind, my inner universe is gone, for me this is clear a lobotomy, I got no personality left, apathy, motoric problems.. its all lobotomy symtopms, the severe demotivation also, and yes my eyes are like looking into nothing, as there is no soul behind them.. It's all about surviving daily. Cognitivity improved for some time, then it was gone again, as everything I said or did was robotic, no real observation of life with emotions and feelings.

I can write code, but why to write it, as it doesn't feel like real life expirience...its just the same, if I write or not. I dont know what todo anymore.

Feelings and emotions are tools of a human, I don't feel complete, a shell, why did they do this to me. I hope I will feel love atleast one more time in my life, I really forgot how feeling feelings was.

My grandpa, grandma, my cat that I had for 12 years died and I wasn't able to feel something, also no emotions from memories.

I think it's not about the missing serotonin or dopamin, but the pathways to the frontal lobe that are no longer there, I think that when you start the meds, the brain grow connections slowly, where they wasn't before, then when you stop, the old and new connections are no longer there and it's like whole new learning process.

I was left traumatized, disabled, severe depressed, with no personality, for trusting a ******* "doctor"

Also I remember talking with "doctor" about all that stuff I now have, he said I got shizophrenia and wanted to give me zyprexa injections...this may sound unbelivable but I can proof everything if needed.. and I remember when I met 2 guys that also was destroyed, one from SSRI, other from seroquel, both said they are dead inside and one can't even love his kids and wife anymore, they gave him amisulpride 400 mg daily...

Each day when I wake up, like I had no sleep, then I stand up and it's like i'm disconnected all time from the frontal lobe, there is no connection to the core of my soul and myself anymore. I can sit and try to think and connect, but it's not possible.

Here is what I found, sounds pretty the same.. 

"About 10 years ago, the medical school at a major university began to notice a large number of cadavers coming in (for the medical students to work on) which had indented and calcified frontal lobes in their brains.
Puzzled by this, they went through the life history of each cadaver that had this anomaly, and discovered that in every case, the person had been on SSRI antidepressants.
The level of brain damage indicated that each of the cadavers had been lobotomized.
The people who drew the connection between the calcified and collapsed frontal lobes (the part of the brain which contains your soul) "

https://www.cchrflorida.org/psychotropic-drugs-lobotomies-in-a-pill/

what we have is depersonalization from these drugs. makes us have no inner monologue or inner self or any emotion. I know that’s what i have not lobotomy and it’s going to take time. I was in antidepressants for half of my life. When people post things like that it just makes everyone including myself feel so hopeless. Why would our brain become lobotomized from stopping the meds? Shouldn’t this have happened while taking them? I just think that we need time to heal and take care of ourselves 

Currently on nothing  

49 minutes ago, fkphamah0es said:

"About 10 years ago, the medical school at a major university began to notice a large number of cadavers coming in (for the medical students to work on) which had indented and calcified frontal lobes in their brains.
Puzzled by this, they went through the life history of each cadaver that had this anomaly, and discovered that in every case, the person had been on SSRI antidepressants.
The level of brain damage indicated that each of the cadavers had been lobotomized.
The people who drew the connection between the calcified and collapsed frontal lobes (the part of the brain which contains your soul) "

Yes it's known das psychic drugs cause brain shrinkage but this is not the answer to all of these symptoms... People take one pill and get major symptoms. Makes no sense. Also the brain grows back so no worry. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

5 minutes ago, julesb said:

what we have is depersonalization from these drugs. makes us have no inner monologue or inner self or any emotion. I know that’s what i have not lobotomy and it’s going to take time. I was in antidepressants for half of my life. When people post things like that it just makes everyone including myself feel so hopeless. Why would our brain become lobotomized from stopping the meds? Shouldn’t this have happened while taking them? I just think that we need time to heal and take care of ourselves 

Yes you are absolutely right. People heal from this so this is not permanent telling otherwise is false and dangerous. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

now for the pssd part idk how long or when that will come back but i’m hoping it’s not with me forever 

Currently on nothing  

10 minutes ago, julesb said:

I just think that we need time to heal and take care of ourselves 

You’re correct, that person is just in a bad place. So they are venting there own frustration. Don’t pay it attention and focus on your healing. 

7 minutes ago, kostakonkordia said:

Yes it's known das psychic drugs cause brain shrinkage

It causes brain shrinking in long long term use. No evidence for short term. 

Sometimes these forums can be toxic because of people like that. So stay away  and trust you will heal. They found a random article buried in the internet. Probably researched “lobotomy antidepressants” on google. 

1 hour ago, fkphamah0es said:

I haven't read it through yet but it's sound like this is only a specific area its not global brain damage. So it can be explained otherwise. Like that you're emotions are turned down so you're brain obviously turns down these areas too. And I don't know what they mean by calcification. Calcification of the blood vessels? Because that's a symptom of arteriosclerosis and that is mostly caused by autoimmune things. I will read it through tomorrow as I have to go to sleep now. Good night my friends ;)). 

Edited by kostakonkordia

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

7 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

It causes brain shrinking in long long term use. No evidence for short term. 

Yes thats what I wanted to say... 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

7 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

Sometimes these forums can be toxic because of people like that. So stay away  and trust you will heal. They found a random article buried in the internet. Probably researched “lobotomy antidepressants” on google. 

Yes but I kinda understand the dispair tho... But best is to not look too deeply at these issues as you loose yourself in hopelessness and doomsday/ragnarök. People heal and that's a fact. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

Sorry if my post sounds too depressed, it's nothing but the truth what has happened with me, if admin wants to remove it, no problem, I just posted the damage it did too me and people think all that posts of damaged people are fake too on that site? Anyways, I wish the best for everyone who is suffering. Peace out.

How do you know those people haven’t already recovered, Those comments were posted from last year and many years ago. They have the same symptoms as the people who did recover from this. I feel like you keep thinking that your damaged permanently and that’s just not the truth. Trust me I have days where i am completely hopeless and feel like that’s the case for me as well. But bad thinking doesn’t help even though it’s so hard to refrain from. I have pssd along with this emotional numbness and i thought my life was over but in reality i have to be strong and keep fighting 

Currently on nothing  

11 hours ago, fkphamah0es said:

Sorry if my post sounds too depressed, it's nothing but the truth what has happened with me, if admin wants to remove it, no problem, I just posted the damage it did too me and people think all that posts of damaged people are fake too on that site? Anyways, I wish the best for everyone who is suffering. Peace out.

No problem I understand you are frustrated. But have you made an mri scan of you're brain? Because you talk about you're brain damage as if you have seen it on an mri. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy