Shake: clonazapam taper

Shake

How do I update my signature

I forgot how to update my signature. I click on my profile I try and read previous posts I’ve made no luck

Edited by Shep
added title after merging from another intro thread

I started my clonazapam taper last March 2022. I was on .5 mg for almost 20 years. Now I am down to .25 mg the lowest pill form. I am on a compound liquid form. Which is equivalent to .25 mg. I am using mg instead of ml to avoid confusion. My only problem is insomnia and I am looking for tips to sleep. Gabapentin.20 mg seems to help along with L-the Theanine. Update: I stopped Gabapentin and L-theanine February 2023. I was using such a small dose 10-20 mg before bed which allowed me to stop cold turkey as I only took them both sparingly. Update I am using a small amount of Taurine and magnesium before bed now 20 mg each. I started March 6 2023 So far this helps with sleep. Also since February of last year 2022 I have been alternating on PPI Tums Pepcid and milk of magnesia for benzo belly.

Signature update. I have Benzo Belly started in 2022 to date. I take PPI Tums Pepcid milk of magnesia

I started my clonazapam taper last March 2022. I was on .5 mg for almost 20 years. Now I am down to .25 mg the lowest pill form. I am on a compound liquid form. Which is equivalent to .25 mg. I am using mg instead of ml to avoid confusion. My only problem is insomnia and I am looking for tips to sleep. Gabapentin.20 mg seems to help along with L-the Theanine. Update: I stopped Gabapentin and L-theanine February 2023. I was using such a small dose 10-20 mg before bed which allowed me to stop cold turkey as I only took them both sparingly. Update I am using a small amount of Taurine and magnesium before bed now 20 mg each. I started March 6 2023 So far this helps with sleep. Also since February of last year 2022 I have been alternating on PPI Tums Pepcid and milk of magnesia for benzo belly.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Shake said:

I sure wish I joined this site sooner. Thank you for this information. Everything you say makes so much sense. I forgot to mention that I am going through “Benzo Belly” and I am taking PPI, Pepcid, and Tums, and milk of magnisia. I started these meds back in January 2023 to date. I will update my signature.

You may want to go on an elimination diet to see what foods are irritating your GI system. This is better than using a lot of other medications. 

Be care you're not developing a dependency on these. For more on these drugs, see:

Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs...

That acid reflux pill may be causing your health problems

For information on diets during withdrawal, see:

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

Food sensitivities

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance...

Histamine food intolerance

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

Probiotics and gut health

This is a lot of information, so take your time reading it. You may want to start a food journal to track any problems you note with your diet. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Shake said:

Am I past the point of rescue

I can’t go back and reinstate I’ve been in withdrawal too long I can’t hurry the taper or I’ll get worse. Do I just except my fate and know that I will suffer for many more years. What do I do?

7 hours ago, Shake said:

How do I update my signature

I forgot how to update my signature. I click on my profile I try and read previous posts I’ve made no luck

Shake, I just merged these posts from new threads you had started. Please do not start any more threads. Please continue to post here in your intro/update thread. We only allow one intro/update thread per member. This keeps all of your information in one place.

As far as your question "What do I do?," please see my post above. You can read up on ways of eating that can help you heal. Eating a healthy diet (no processed foods, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc.), drinking plenty of water, getting outside for a gentle walk in the sun everyday, etc. can help you heal. Also, see:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Here is a direct link to your signature:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Why does this taper leave me feeling exhausted? Although I have the dreaded insomnia it seems I’m more exhausted.

After trying to taper too fast how long before I stabilize or will I stabilize? I’ve been in withdrawal too long to reinstate 

• Moderator Emeritus

Exhaustion

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please post in your topic Shake.

After moving things about, all I have time for is to give you a couple of links.

Could be your drug, could be your WD as far as the exhaustion goes.

I think stabilization comes more quickly with acceptance.

Go over and browse the Symptoms and Self Care forum.  Found from the home page.

Post here though.  Thanks.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

22 hours ago, Shake said:

Why does this taper leave me feeling exhausted? Although I have the dreaded insomnia it seems I’m more exhausted.

You brain and body is doing everything it can to return to homeostasis and it requires a LOT of work. And it's trying to do all of this while facing all the usual challenges of the day. 

As far as when will you stabilize, no one knows the answer. Each person is unique. 

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• 2 weeks later...

NAD for Benzo withdrawal

Has anyone tried NAD for Benzo withdrawal?

Edited by Shep
add title after merging from another thread

• Moderator Emeritus

@Shake I moved your post from the tapering forum. Please post questions in your intro/update thread. That way all of your information is in one place.

Also, please use the search function to look for threads. The NAD thread is here:

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide NAD

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

If you do add in NAD, or any other supplement, it's best to do so at a low dose and only add in one supplement at a time.

• 9 months later...

I am shake. I haven’t slept for 4 years. I am tapering .25mg of compounded clonazapam. Should I take 75% at bed time then 25% in the morning? Then slowly taper off the morning dose?

Update. I am down from compounded clonazapam.25mg and am now at .18 mg I can’t take this insomnia anymore.

Shake. I have been prescribed clonazapam for over 20 years. 0.5mg. I have been tapering for 4 years and am down to 0.18 mg compounded. I haven’t slept for 4 years. Should I take 75% at bed time and 25% when I wake up? It took me years to get down to .25 mg now I’m at .18mg

• Administrator

Hi Shake,

Please keep everything relating to your situation in your thread. It makes it easier for people to assist.

19 minutes ago, Shake said:

I haven’t slept for 4 years.

This is a common problem for many of us tapering from ADs / Benzodiazepines. Have you used the search function in the top right hand corner to find tips for addressing sleep issues?

22 minutes ago, Shake said:

Should I take 75% at bed time and 25% when I wake up?

I'll need to let someone experienced in Benzodiazepines comment on this question.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

31 minutes ago, Shake said:

Should I take 75% at bed time and 25% when I wake up? It took me years to get down to .25 mg now I’m at .18mg

How are you currently dosing?

How are your symptoms?

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

Hi Shake. I am also tapering clonazepam. Many people take their dose once a day but I prefer to split it morning and night. 50% morning. 50% night. The idea is that you don’t go into withdrawal before it’s time for your next dose. As for insomnia, I know it’s exhausting but it won’t hurt you. I found that if instead of focusing on the fact that I wasn’t sleeping and instead started thinking I got to be comfortable for at least 8 hours before getting up and facing the day I ended up looking forward to bed even though I wasn’t sleeping. 

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

My main problem is insomnia. Will splitting my dose worsen my insomnia?

14 minutes ago, Shake said:

My main problem is insomnia. Will splitting my dose worsen my insomnia?

No one will be able to tell you definitively if your insomnia will worse. Since insomnia is a common symptom in withdrawal, I would expect you will have the same issue whether you split your dose or not. Personally, I kept my doses even to prevent fluctuations in plasma levels.

Keeping levels even means you would split your dose?

@Shake

Yes, some people choose to dose clonazepam twice per day to avoid interdose withdrawal and keeping the am/pm doses the same, keeps a more constant plasma level.

Do you notice an increase in symptoms as you approach your next dose, that are then relieved by taking your dose?

No I don’t notice anything when my next dose. If my only major problem is insomnia wouldn’t it be detrimental to split my dose? And would you think that .18 mg is a low dose? .18 is lower than the minimum pill dose of .25mg. 

If you're not experiencing interdose withdrawal, there is no need to split your dose. 

No, I don't think 0.18mg is a low dose. These drugs are a lot more powerful than we think.

How fast are you tapering?

.1 every 1-2 months

.1ml or .1mg?

We do not recommend tapering by more than 10% of your current dose each month. See Why taper by 10%. If you're tapering faster than this, you may need to hold your dose to allow your CNS to catch up to your reductions.

This link is also helpful Keep it simple, slow and stable

When you say insomnia, do you sleep at all? Do you have a sleep hygiene routine?

I started tapering two years ago from 5ml equivalent to 0.5mg i am now down to 1.8 ml equivalent to .18 mg. Every two months I reduce what Shep said I reduce approximately 2-5% of my original dose . My uneducated doctor said “oh just shave off a little with a file” BIG MISTAKE. I went insane and had to go back up to 5ml-0.5mg. Now down to 1.8 ml. 
yes I sleep 3 hours trying to stick to all the rules from Martin and Daniel sleep coach.

if you can answer this question why is there help for people to quit every worse street drug opiods ect. There is a class action law suit for opiods and doctor jordan Peterson said opiods are WORSE than opiods. Why is there zero help for people on benzodiazepines?

2 minutes ago, Shake said:

Why is there zero help for people on benzodiazepines?

GOOD QUESTION!! I wish I knew the answer to this. Unfortunately, many doctors are largely unprepared and uneducated in tapering strategies for psychiatric drugs. I think it's a silent epidemic, but thankfully there are more and more organizations, non-profits and individuals starting to shed light on this topic, even just in the last 2 years. So, I think the word is starting to get out.

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

Every two months I reduce what Shep said

Ok, good to know. Has the insomnia been like this your entire taper? Have you tried holding?

Yes ever since I started tapering too fast and had to stabilize. I’m holding now for about a month still terrible sleep crazy little snippets of dreams. I have a small claims case being heard in January against my doctor. I know you can’t give legal advice but what would you think my main concern should be against my doctor? For opiods the crown prosecutor in British Columbia states the doctors concealed the truth about the dangers of opioids.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried kava for insomnia while tapering clonazapam? Also here’s a good tip if you are having withdrawal symptoms try splitting your dose into 2 or 3 times per day.

Update! I am now down from .25 mg to .18 mg clonazapam. I am now splitting my dose into 2 doses per day and it has helped a lot .0.9 in morning and 0.9 at night.