Psych meds and sleep apnea

compsports

As you all know, I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and know other people who have taken psych meds who have the same condition. Just as an FYI, because of a strong family history, I might developed it whether I took psych meds or not. But I wonder whether taking them either pushed me in that direction.

Anyway, I have the book, Sound Mind, Sound Sleep, by Dr. Barry Krakow, a sleep medicine physician, who I think highly of. In rereading this book, a section he wrote about the high rates of sleep breathing disorders in mental health patients caught my attention. He has done alot of research in this area.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a link so I am going to do my best to paraphrase what he said. Essentially, he said that many mental health patients have suffered sleeplessness for many years. He then went on to say that this will cause you to spend too much time in lighter sleep which is where breathing is susceptible to disruptions from SDB issues which are apneas, hypopneas and UARS events.

Since psych meds are known to cause sleep disruptions big time, his explanation would make sense why people who have been on them for awhile might develop apnea or have their condition worsen.

Again, sorry for not being able to provide links which I desperately tried to find. I has also hoped this particular section would be highlighted in google book reviews but no such luck.

Thoughts? Comments?

CS

PS - Found the link after writing this post. Sorry about that

http://sleeptreatment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=1071

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Makes sense to me. Antidepressants screwing up sleep probably causes a lot of dominoes to fall.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Perfect sense, CS.

Sadly, many docs still use SSRIs to treat sleep problems which are thought to be a symptom of depression.

A vicious circle.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup.. and benzos screw up sleep tooo. Benzos screw up slow wave sleep.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy