Tranqdart: Mary’s Intro

Tranqdart

I’m a 63 year old woman and my first antidepressant use was in 1997. I saw antidepressants as mood cosmetics: an adjustment to my anxious, sometimes irritable and depressive personality that would help me get ahead and live more boldly. I didn’t stay on for long and I quit cold turkey. I broke up with my boyfriend and fell into a deep depression, which I attributed to the breakup.

2003, I found myself in a challenging job as I started having premenopausal irritability. My gynecologist put me back on Prozac, but at some point (2006?), my gp switched me to lexapro. I stayed on it until 2015. (I had post nasal drip with fluoxetine, which led (I think) to numerous sinus infections; that’s why I asked to switch)

2015, I realized I’d missed many doses and I felt fine, so I just stopped, but started having zaps, emotional lability, anxiety etc. I kept wanting to get through it, thinking the symptoms would abate sooner or later. After many months like this, I complained to my gp about hot flashes—not recognizing them as a withdrawal symptom. When she suggested lexapro as an off-label solution to that problem, it felt like a message from god and I resumed lexapro.

2021, I honestly felt there’d be no easier time in my life to taper. Never mind the pandemic, I thought my life was great, which presently seems blunted and delusional. 11/30, I started reducing my doses, and proceeded carefully for 254 days, listening to my body and making reductions after zaps stopped and I felt stable at the lower dose. My last dose in 8/2022. Tardive withdrawal symptoms started in September or October. They seem episodic but mostly, they’re present; I’ve had just a few multi-day breaks from symptoms. Writing this in mid-February 2023 and wondering if I’ll ever feel better. Dealing with loneliness, aging/dying parents and money issues are added, unavoidable stressors. 

of the four doctors who’ve prescribed ssris for me, one was a gynecologist. The others were GPs!

Very grateful to friends who are willing to listen.

what helps:

—I used to take my Ssri with a fistful of supplements and I found it easy to lose the habit of taking supplements when I stopped the drugs. Now I’m careful to take supplements and they seem to help, but I’m not qualified to advise. (Everything I take: Fish oil, magnesium, b6, b12, calcium citrate, C, D3)

—I take valerian to help with sleep. I like solaray because it has standardized active ingredient. Topical melatonin, also for sleep; sometimes kava tea for daytime calm

—seldom drinking any alcohol

—switching from black tea to green and limiting it to two cups in the morning

—seldom watching any news at present

—asking myself “what is the best way to take care of myself right now?”—especially when I’m symptomatic

—I pick up a lot of good tips from YouTube channel “therapy in a nutshell”… not specific to drug discontinuation but useful techniques for staying calm

I’m here to learn as well as to support and I welcome comments to improve my approach to recovery 

may we all be well,

Mary

Tranq Dart Mary

1998: 20 mg fluoxetine for a few months; quit cold turkey

2002-2015: 10 mg escitalopram for 13 years; quit cold turkey (disastrously)

2016-2021: 10 mg escitalopram for 6 years after a break of several months;

tapered 254 days starting Nov 30 2021, last dose Aug 9 2022; withdrawal symptoms started in Sept 2022.

Supplements: MorningFish oil, magnesium, b6, b12, calcium citrate, C, D3, valerian Evening: magnesium and topical melatonin for sleep

*Feb/23: quit valerian; **2/21/23-moved magnesium to evening; *** 4/17/23-stopped supplementing b6, b12, d3.

Mostly whole food

*2/5/23: quit alcohol; **3/13/23: quit coffee and tea but not chocolate or sugar.

• getofflex changed the title to Tranqdart: May’s Intro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations for getting off Lexapro!  That is a big accomplishment, as this drug can be hard to get off of.  

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why we suggest slow and careful tapering: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

What symptoms are you having now?  If you are having symptoms of activation (insomnia, restlessness, irritability, agitation, anxiety, etc), you may want to eliminate the B vitamins, and caffeine in any amount.   Most of us in withdrawal have hypersensitive nervous systems, and sometimes very small amounts of these things can cause problems.   Green tea does have some caffeine.  I personally drink herbal teas.  We also suggest you eliminate alcohol completely - this too can tamper with our nervous systems, and worsen our symptoms and make it harder to recover.  

It can be very beneficial to take gentle walks outside, if you are able.  I believe this helps heal the nervous system.  We suggest a very healthy diet, avoid sugar and chemicals, and get plenty of healthy fluids.  Avoid drama and toxic people whenever you can.  Do whatever soothes and calms you.  I paint, listen to relaxing music, go birding and get outside in nature, cook, develop my spiritual life, and don't cram too many activities in one day.  Take care, and let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

dear @getofflex, thanks for approving and renaming the Intro post. When you have a chance, could you please rename from "Tranqdart May" to "Tranqdart Mary"?

I know how busy moderators are - I'm grateful for your work here - thanks for taking the time.

Tranq Dart Mary

tapered 254 days starting Nov 30 2021, last dose Aug 9 2022; withdrawal symptoms started in Sept 2022.

Supplements: MorningFish oil, magnesium, b6, b12, calcium citrate, C, D3, valerian Evening: magnesium and topical melatonin for sleep

*Feb/23: quit valerian; **2/21/23-moved magnesium to evening; *** 4/17/23-stopped supplementing b6, b12, d3.

Mostly whole food

*2/5/23: quit alcohol; **3/13/23: quit coffee and tea but not chocolate or sugar.

• Altostrata changed the title to Tranqdart: Mary’s Intro
  • Administrator

Done. Welcome!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I SLEPT 11 HOURS LAST NIGHT!

Sharing the good news, since sleep has been such an issue for me, and because it seems like the cornerstone of mood stability to me.

How I did it:

per recommendations elsewhere on SA, I switched my dose of magnesium glycinate from morning to evening.

I took a whisper of topical melatonin, I estimate a half a milligram. Learned that here, too.

I’ve also been practicing better sleep hygiene. Oh yeah I learned that on SA. For instance, only task lighting after dark and no screen time after dark. i’m trying to get regular about my sleep hours, but last night, I couldn’t keep my eyes open until 7 PM. Slept 7 PM to 6 AM.

thank you, thank you, SA crew!

Also, thinking a lot about NEUROGENESIS. Since serotonin receptors are found in nerve cell membranes, I figure the sooner I can generate more healthy nerve cells, the better I will feel. Here is a pretty good video: 

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• 3 weeks later...

I tapered on my own for 254 days, and as I've learned: still too fast.

Now it's 211 days since my last dose, and I'm miserable with insomnia, anxiety, sadness.

I've been prescribed SSRIs by four GPs and an OBGYN; to reinstate, I'd like to be working with a Psychiatrist who understands withdrawal.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I live in Orange County north of NYC and would consider any local, NYC, or telehealth provider.

Thanks in advance and thanks always for being a source of support.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

I tapered Lex for 254 days after ~20 years of use… much too fast, as I’ve learned here. 
~220 days after my last 0.25mg dose, I’m miserable with anxiety, sadness, and insomnia.

I'm worried how much worse things might get. Withdrawal symptoms have changed over time (no zaps anymore), mood symptoms are a great deal worse in the past few weeks.

I’d  like to try reinstatement but I’m scared to do it without medical supervision.

Does anyone know of any psychiatrists who know how to do this?

I’m in the Hudson Valley, not far from NYC, and I’d gladly consider telemedicine as well.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

~220 days after my last 0.25mg dose,

We need to know a hard date of when you jumped to zero on the Lexapro.  Please put this date, as best you can remember, in your drug signature.  

Unfortunately, the vast majority of psychiatrists reinstate their patients too high, and put them at significant risk of kindling.  Here is a link to a list of doctors who are withdrawal savvy.  

Recommended Doctors Therapists and Clinics

If you would like, this site can help guide you through a reinstatement.  It would be risky, as it's been a while since you jumped off, so we would suggest you try a tiny test dose at first.  Here is the link about reinstatement: 

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

I’m miserable with anxiety, sadness, and insomnia.

I'm worried how much worse things might get. Withdrawal symptoms have changed over time (no zaps anymore), mood symptoms are a great deal worse in the past few weeks.

Cool that the zaps stopped.  Are you doing or able to use any skills, CBT or other modalities to improve the mood symptoms? 

You could also enlist the help of a therapist who isn't pushy about everyone needed drugs and therapy.......that's kind of outdated.

There's a indexed list at the bottom of the first post in this topic:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

If you do decide to experiment with a reinstatement, and even if not.......get in the habit of doing some daily drug and symptom logs, even without any drug on board.  Helps you see what helps and what doesn't over time.

Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

first post again ^ and do pull up the version that in the quote box too

I don't know.......I nixed reinstatement of Lexapro(escitalopram) as I was remedicated with 2 other drugs, mainly and I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together at all on arrival here.

I might try it if I were you, with no greater than a start reinstatement of 0.25 mg of Lexapro.  I saw you were able to measure that dose as your last dose.  I'm not saying to do it definitely or not.......that is all up to you.    I'm kind of gutsy though, and what I went through on drugs sometimes was worse than withdrawal gave me.  And man, I'd sure love to see a late reinstatement help........but that puts you in a place of being an experiment.  None of us like that after pretty much being experimented on for years and years.

Likely enough from me.  It's unchartered territory really.......so much of this.  Stay positive.  Keep healing.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
grammer corrections, autocorrect or I really need to reread all my posts every time.......??!!!!!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Cool that the zaps stopped.  Are you doing or able to use any skills, CBT or other modalities to improve the mood symptoms? 

You could also enlist the help of a therapist who isn't pushy about everyone needed drugs and therapy.......that's kind of outdated.

If you do decide to experiment with a reinstatement, and even if not.......get in the habit of doing some daily drug and symptom logs, even without any drug on board.  Helps you see what helps and what doesn't over time.

Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

I nixed reinstatement of Lexapro(escitalopram) as I was remedicated with 2 other drugs, mainly and I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together at all on arrival here.

I might try it if I were you, with no greater than a start reinstatement of 0.25 mg of Lexapro.  I saw you were able to measure that dose as your last dose.  I'm not saying to do it definitely or not.......that is all up to you.    I'm kind of gutsy though, and what I went through on drugs sometimes was worse than withdrawal gave me.  And man, I'd sure love to see a late reinstatement help........but that puts you in a place of being an experiment.  None of us like that after pretty much being experimented on for years and years.

Thank you for your thoughtful response and for your good thoughts.

I didn't understand this remark: "first post again ^ and do pull up the version that in the quote box too"

• I know some CBT things to do and when I'm not feeling wiped out by insomnia they sometimes help: deep breathing, yawning, etc. Creativity, work, being around people all help.
  • I've had some good windows after decent sleep but the lack of sleep dramatically intensifies anxiety and sadness. 
  • I'll check the symptom recording instructions. I've been maintaining a journal and spreadsheet on my own since 11/30/2021, when I started tapering.
  • Regarding reinstatement: Hah, not feeling especially gutsy myself... can't really risk feeling any worse. I reached out to one psychiatrist I found here; we'll see.
  • I recently terminated therapy after just a couple of months; I just don't feel like digging into Big Trauma from my past is helpful now. And I have some other expensive problems, so I can't really afford it.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

All through my taper, my symptoms were slight. I'd stay at the same dose until they subsided.

Things started getting worse about a month after my last dose.

Has anyone else done this goofy thing?: I was not working with a doctor, so at first I cut my pills. When the doses got to small for that, I ground pills to a powder and stirred it into melted chocolate. My lowest dose was 0.25mg/day.

My taper was way too fast, but this technique seemed to work OK for getting to really small doses... thoughts on using the same technique if I have to reinstate? In case I can't find a doctor to prescribe the liquid Lex for me.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

Things started getting worse about a month after my last dose.

What were these symptoms, when did they start getting worse, what are your symptoms now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What were these symptoms, when did they start getting worse, what are your symptoms now?

I had zaps - not too bad - as I titrated and after my last dose 8/9/22.

I have not had any zaps since 1/29/23.

Other symptoms presented about a month after my last dose have intensified, with 3/6/23-3/13 (yesterday) being especially bad:

• insomnia,
  • anxiety,
  • emotional lability,
  • bouts of crying.

I think poor memory might be a problem, but it could also be the lack of sleep.

Noticing:

I'm worse early in the day, better in late afternoon and evening.

The worse my sleep is, the worse everything else is.

This is how I rate symptoms; I can live with scores below 15, but 3/6-3/13, I rated 22-24:

Rate Zaps (5=worst)

Rate Insomnia (5=worst)

Rate Digestion (5=worst)-- hasn't been a problem

Rate Headaches (5=worst)-- hasn't been a problem

Rate Irritability (5=worst)

Rate Sadness (5=worst)

Rate Anxiety (5=worst)

Rate Hot Flashes (OR CHILLS, 10/18/22) (5=worst)

Poor Memory/Dullness

Bouts of Crying (0 or 5)

Vertigo Episodes (Ct.)-- hasn't been a problem

Nightmare (5=worst) --only one very bad one

emotional lability (5=worst)

... Then today, much better: Last night, I drank a tea that included kava before sleep. I know SA warns against kava, but I hope having this tea once in a while (not every night) will be okay for me. Also spoke with a supportive friend late in the day. Using some CBT techniques and also audiobook for distraction from anxious thoughts. My usual magnesium at bedtime and ~1mg topical melatonin when I wake too early. All of these help.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator

@Tranqdart your symptoms follow a familiar pattern of initial acute withdrawal symptoms (zaps, etc.) followed by post-acute or protracted withdrawal symptoms. You have typical protracted withdrawal symptoms.

These tend to occur in The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last month?

On 3/16/2023 at 4:08 PM, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last month?

About a week ago I had several days that were very dark. It lifted a bit for another few days. Yesterday was my best day in a long time, but late in the day I had a negative interaction with someone and it has sent me spiraling again.

what helps: good nutrition and good sleep (when I can get it), talking with friends and distractions 

so to answer your question, I suppose it’s the same windows and waves as it’s been sinc last September only I’m a little more adept at managing my symptoms 

I really wish I knew how long this might go on

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

About a week ago I had several days that were very dark. It lifted a bit for another few days.

Please explain more about this. 

What is your sleep pattern now?

6 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

Yesterday was my best day in a long time, but late in the day I had a negative interaction with someone and it has sent me spiraling again.

Is this the sort of thing that would upset you when you weren't taking an antidepressant?

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please explain more about this. 

What is your sleep pattern now?

Is this the sort of thing that would upset you when you weren't taking an antidepressant?

Dark days: March 6-8 and again March 20 I was very depressed, anxious, weepy, and short on sleep (these symptoms usually come together). Suicidal ideation. When I get decent sleep and nutrition, and support from friends, I do better.

Sleep: I keep the lights low after 8 and read for an hour in the living room before bed.  I get ready for bed at 9 (take magnesium then), usually asleep by 10, the alarm goes off at 7 (I do check social media in bed on my phone, 7-8am). In between, I'll wake 2-3 times (the first time, I'll apply 1-2 mg topical melatonin). The wakeful times don't last as long, I think, and they're easier to bear, since I started playing audiobooks overnight. Some nights are better than others and I've started to estimate how many hours I actually get; varies from 2-6 hours. Usually closer to 6 hours.

Negative interaction: yes, I think it would have been very upsetting before or during antidepressant use, but I felt it a lot more in withdrawal. Wept all day yesterday. Still struggling. It's hard to lose a friend when I already feel my support network is kind of meager. Torn between trying to branch out more and wanting to hide at home. I relocated 6 years ago and it's been very hard work to build a community of friends, especially with Covid. I work from home.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you have pretty good sleep hygiene.  Sleep has been, and is still an issue for me.  I also have my dark days as well, similar to how you described yours.  I chalk this up to my brain healing, and possibly some old emotions resurfacing that were numbed out by the drugs.  

If you've just lost a friend, I can completely understand why you were crying all day.  I very much relate to the meager support system, and how with Covid, etc it's been hard to meet new people and make new friends. I lost what I thought was a good friend 2.5 years ago, and it took me time to grieve that loss.  It's my theory, based on my own personal experience, that once we are off the drugs, we feel the emotions even more acutely than we did before we got on the drugs.  I believe this will change in time, and we will feel things less acutely.  

Neuro-Emotions

Take heart, in time, gradually, you will slowly feel better.  Of course, there will be ups and downs, and sometimes you may feel discouraged if you get hit with a wave, and it feels like you are going backwards.  These symptoms can be pretty compelling.  Try reading this link, it is really helpful: 

Techniques for Managing Withdrawal

30 minutes ago, getofflex said:

If you've just lost a friend, I can completely understand why you were crying all day.  I very much relate to the meager support system, and how with Covid, etc it's been hard to meet new people and make new friends. I lost what I thought was a good friend 2.5 years ago, and it took me time to grieve that loss.  It's my theory, based on my own personal experience, that once we are off the drugs, we feel the emotions even more acutely than we did before we got on the drugs.  I believe this will change in time, and we will feel things less acutely.  

Try reading this link, it is really helpful: 

Techniques for Managing Withdrawal

link: thank you, that was a helpful read!

friends: I relocated a few years back and while I’ve met some lovely people, the roots don’t run that deep. I get the sense I’m imposing if I talk about withdrawal too much, but it’s the biggest thing in my life, coloring everything as I’m sure you have experienced for yourself. Some days I can try branching out; others, I have to stay home and heal. But I’m alone too much. I think this was true before withdrawal too, but I used to enjoy my solitude. I remind myself I chose to taper because the conditions of my life seemed as good as they would get… I think it’s part of my lexapro experience that my life seemed great just then; it’s part of my withdrawal experience that the same conditions feel so bleak now. Reality’s out there somewhere, right?

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

When I get decent sleep and nutrition, and support from friends, I do better.

For your own self-care, you need to do this -- not all of your symptoms are from withdrawal, and you can make yourself feel better by understanding what you need and making sure you get it.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Tranqdart said:

I think it’s part of my lexapro experience that my life seemed great just then; it’s part of my withdrawal experience that the same conditions feel so bleak now. Reality’s out there somewhere, right?

Very good insight!  I have had the same experience.  Lexapro numbed me out, so I felt content with a so-so life.  Now, this same life feels lonely and isolated, but I'm not yet well enough to branch out and do a whole lot.  I have optimism that someday, I will.  

14 hours ago, getofflex said:

Very good insight!  I have had the same experience.  Lexapro numbed me out, so I felt content with a so-so life.  Now, this same life feels lonely and isolated, but I'm not yet well enough to branch out and do a whole lot.  I have optimism that someday, I will.  

When I can manage it, I narrow my focus to the present moment. Sitting in the sun. I hope you are getting some comforting moments.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

On 3/20/2023 at 8:17 PM, getofflex said:

On 3/21/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tranqdart said:

When I can manage it, I narrow my focus to the present moment. Sitting in the sun. I hope you are getting some comforting moments.

It has helped a lot just knowing someone else sees it the same way, so thanks for that!
I need to heal my brain but I also need to heal my life; create a fuller life.
I don’t want to be totally sequential about this but I do want to take it easy, be patient, avoid overwhelm.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator
On 3/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, Tranqdart said:

The wakeful times don't last as long, I think, and they're easier to bear, since I started playing audiobooks overnight. Some nights are better than others and I've started to estimate how many hours I actually get; varies from 2-6 hours. Usually closer to 6 hours.

The improvement is a good sign.

I had a ‘probably benign’ finding on a breast mri from January which apparently necessitates a second mri in June.
I had a reaction to the dye in January, so now the clinic wants to dose me with prednisone and Benadryl for several days prior to the mri in June.  
I’m apprehensive about taking those drugs and I wonder if anyone has advice for me about alternative, safer medications or alternative imaging procedures.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Moderator Emeritus

I would be careful about the prednisone - it can affect their nervous system.  High doses can cause euphoria and anxiety.  It's activating.  If it were me, I would find a way to avoid this.  Any drug that affects the nervous system can put one at risk of worsening withdrawal or going into a wave.  

On 1/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, Vasherr said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8801186/#:~:text=Prednisone%2C the prodrug of prednisolone,%2C behavioral%2C and cognitive changes.

"Prednisone, the prodrug of prednisolone, has been implicated as the cause of neuropsychiatric symptoms such as depression, mania, agitation, delirium, dementia, psychosis, and many other affective, behavioral, and cognitive changes."

Benadryl is pretty innocuous in my opinion.  I sometimes take it with no ill effects.  I'm not a health professional, so I can't give alternatives.  

Antihistamines, Benadryl

Edited by getofflex

I’m recognizing lately that I’ve been through several phases of withdrawal already. Brain zaps have subsided, as have slurred speech and heart palpitations. Brain fog has receded too, I think. Continuing: anxiety, sadness, insomnia (although I’ve grown more skilled at coping with insomnia).

What’s come up for me lately is The Phenomenon, as I’ve taken to calling it: I’m still living under the same circumstances that in November of 2021 had me so comfortable that I believed I’d find no better time to taper off antidepressants. Now, however, it’s a life that feels barren and unfulfilling. I want to fix it but I’m not feeling well enough to make big changes – and even if I were, I wouldn’t know what changes to make. Plus – as sadness and anxiety continue – I don’t quite trust my current perceptions about my life.

I remind myself that I’m unwell; I’m both entitled and wise to take it slow. My friends remind me that my life circumstances may still be perfectly good; I might be the last to know. It could easily be the sadness and anxiety talking.

I live in a big, beautiful house in a desirable neighborhood. I make an okay living as a freelance writer, and my business is growing. I have a few far-flung, intimate friends, and some newer friends closer to home – the mid-Hudson Valley, where I relocated from San Francisco Bay Area in 2017.
What I lack is an intimate circle of people (or an intimate partner) up for going out and going on trips, reading some of the same stuff as I do. A lot goes wrong with the house and yard, and I feel alone with it, too broke and ill-equipped to keep up with it. It’s a tony suburban neighborhood, the first place I’ve ever lived that I couldn’t walk to a store or café from my home, which seems all wrong for a single person. I’ve been a single person since 1991, not that I ever wanted to be, but it seems unlikely at this late date and with my poor attitude that I’ll ever pair off with someone. The family closeness I’d relocated to enjoy never did materialize; I see a lot of dysfunction and disappointment in family relationships, and I’ve learned afresh for the umpteenth time that you can’t get blood from a stone (or maybe I expect too much). I’m facing an old age that looks like more of the same, only worse.

When I was on Lexapro, I was perfectly content to be home alone mostly, pursuing my creative and bookish hobbies, talking on the phone, seeing friends occasionally. I’d watch YouTube all morning, thinking I really should try to get more business or improve my circumstances in other ways, but lacking the motivation to take on much. (As torturous as withdrawal has been, I’m grateful to see myself now as someone who tackles her problems.)

Since quitting Lexapro, these conditions have emerged: my mother is senile and probably near death, my father is in assisted living and unhappy about it, I spent a fortune to replace my boiler but it’s still not right after eight visits from the installer, there’s something wrong with one of my breasts and no one will tell me what their MRIs will cost me, no one will do the MRI without dosing me with prednisone and Benadryl because I’m allergic to the contrast dye, I’ve had a major (and on my side, permanent) falling out with a new-ish friend in whom I’d had great hopes. I’ve been stuck in the house for a week with a sore throat and cough, cancelling one social plan after another; too much time, too unwell, feeling like I’m burdening the dear old friends who are willing to listen to me.

I keep wanting to tell people how miserable I am; why do I do that? There’s nothing anyone else can do to make me feel better. The only way out is through. I don’t know how long I’ll be feeling this bad.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

I would be careful about the prednisone - it can affect their nervous system.  High doses can cause euphoria and anxiety.  It's activating.  If it were me, I would find a way to avoid this.  Any drug that affects the nervous system can put one at risk of worsening withdrawal or going into a wave.  

Benadryl is pretty innocuous in my opinion.  I sometimes take it with no ill effects.  I'm not a health professional, so I can't give alternatives.  

Antihistamines, Benadryl

Thanks. It's pretty alarming. I might not be able to find someone to do this MRI without both drugs.

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator

Why would you need prednisone and Benadryl for an MRI? I've never had any drug at all to get an MRI.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:54 PM, Altostrata said:

Why would you need prednisone and Benadryl for an MRI? I've never had any drug at all to get an MRI.

Because they want to inject contrast dye and I’m allergic to it 

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator

I don't know enough about MRIs to suggest alternatives. I would talk with my doctors to see if they must use the type of dye to which you're allergic.

I’m tempted to say I’m turning a corner in my recovery BUT ALSO I’m taking a lot of medicine for bronchitis, including a prescription for benzonatate for 7 days. So I’m not sure. Sleeping a lot. less anxiety 

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

Hi @Tranqdart

I have moved the thread you started in the Symptoms forum here. Please keep questions related to your case in your thread so we can have a record of your history to refer to quickly. Also, moderators do not monitor the other threads but we check in intro threads to help with questions. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Well, today I did this

097BD056-04EA-4969-8688-7295D54CDA30.jpeg

Tranq Dart Mary

Mostly whole food

• Administrator

Well done. The serotonin hypothesis has been disproven, it's not even a theory, it's a discarded nothingburger.

Mary my story is much like yours.  I wanted yonder how you are doing?  Do you have severe morning anxiety.

Lexapro: 10mgs, 2005-present, stopped from 8/2022 to 2/3/2022

restarted Lexapro 10mgs 2/3/2023 to help with severe WD