Collin Adverse reinstatement effects after discontinuation of newly prescribed medications.

Collin

As the title implies, I was written a prescription for 10mg of Buspirone and 10mg of Escitalopram; the Buspirone to be taken 3X daily and the Escitalopram once a day in which both were for a total of 4 days; however, an occupational emergency occurred that delayed my ability to return home for 3 days. Upon arrival, I resumed taking my medication as prescribed; although, after awakening the next day, I was confronted with considerable panic, anxiety, confusion, and fear. Recognizing the degree of my symptoms, I immediately started researching to hopefully gain insight as to if these side effects were normal; the literature indicating them as common occurrence during the initial stage of administration. I was scared that I was overly medicated and committed to solely taking the Escitalopram for 2 more days, only to experience the same expressions accompanied by significant dizziness, blurred vision, and lower body sweats during the night. The next day I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, who advised me to continue with the Escitalopram and allow at least 4 to 6 weeks for my symptoms to subside; however, given the extent in which I was being impacted by the drug, I decided to cease use altogether, only to feel worse just as bad 4 weeks later with considerable constipation, tinnitus, and headaches. I feel that I am experiencing potential withdrawal symptoms and am wondering if the reinstatement of a small dose of Escitalopram, approximately 1mg, would provide alleviation? And if potentially so, what would be the course of action going forward? Thank you in advance.

Amitriptyline 10mg: Jan 2020-May2020 (No Adverse Effects-No Withdrawals After Taper)

Escitalopram 10mg/Buspirone 10mg(3X Daily): 2/17/23-2/20/23, Reinstated Escitalopram 10mg: 2/24/23 (Adverse Effects)-Cessation Of Use 2/26/23

I would like to add that I have been experiencing severe brain fog that is hindering my cognitive abilities. I really hope there is hope in rectifying my issue as I'm getting more concerned with each passing day.

Amitriptyline 10mg: Jan 2020-May2020 (No Adverse Effects-No Withdrawals After Taper)

Escitalopram 10mg/Buspirone 10mg(3X Daily): 2/17/23-2/20/23, Reinstated Escitalopram 10mg: 2/24/23 (Adverse Effects)-Cessation Of Use 2/26/23

I was recently prescribed 10mg Escitalopram to be taken daily and did so for 4 days; however, a coworker had an accident and I was forced to remain on a job site for 3 days longer than anticipated and was unable to take my medication during this time. Upon returning home and reinstating the prescribed dose, I awoke the next morning with intense anxiety, confusion, brain fog, blurred vision, and dizziness, which I determined to be common side effects during the initial stages of administration after doing some research. I continued to take my medication for 3 more days until I found the symptoms be completely unbearable and scheduled and appointment with my doctor, who advised me to carry on taking my medication; advice I ignored. A month later, I am experiencing the same symptoms accompanied by night sweats occurring in my lower body, cognitive impairment, and constipation, which is unusual for me considering my activity level and diet. I'm concerned that during the days I was unable to return home I developed a sensitivity to my medication and experienced a kindling effect manifesting in the form of withdrawal. Would there be any benefit in reinstating a low dose to manage the symptoms I'm experiencing and would that help to reestablish a normal baseline? I hope to hear from the community.

• Altostrata changed the title to Collin Adverse reinstatement effects after discontinuation of newly prescribed medications.
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Collin

How long were you taking each drug before you went off? Have you resumed taking them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, @Altostrata

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I took each drug for a total of 4 days but was unable to continue with my regiment for the next 3 due to an occupational obligation that forced me to remain on a job site more than 200 miles away from home. Upon returning home, I resumed taking the Escitalopram but awoke the next day to significant symptoms that I assumed were normal after doing some research. I continued taking my medication for 2 more days before ceasing use due to the unbearability and haven't resumed since. I am still feeling the side effects 1 month later.

• Administrator

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

As you were not taking either drug continuously and quit both within 10 days, it is unlikely you have withdrawal symptoms from either drug.

It sounds like you had an adverse reaction to one or both drugs. Sometimes it takes a while for these to settle down. Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

How did you feel when you took the combination for the first 4 days?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata I did not feel any effects during the first 4 days of use but I did notice a couple of small unexplainable bruises on my arm. The severe symptoms did not manifest until I reinstated the Escitalopram after missing my doses, which led me to believe that I developed a sensitivity and kindled considering I was waking up with my lower body drenched in sweat accompanied by flu like symptoms, which I still experience today along with a myriad of other things like extreme constipation. Are these not symptoms of withdrawal?

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1013-0,441-0

This is a report of the drug interaction, which is indicated as a major risk. Why would my doctor prescribe the two together? I inquired about the possibility of serotonin syndrome to my doctor the day after I ceased all use and she didn't seem concerned nor am I convinced that's what I actually experienced considering I had no reaction when I first stated taking my medication. What would cause my symptoms to persist for so long?

@Altostrata The more research I do, the more I believe that I potentially experienced Serotonin Syndrome due to an adverse reaction to the Escitalopram, which was what I initially conveyed to my doctor; however, the dismissal of that possibility is what caused me to consider other things such as kindling. Given that I had no initial reaction to the drug, is it possible I experienced a delayed adverse reaction? I have read reports of people having chronic SS that lasts for weeks and am wondering if I fall within that category. I had a lot of success using Amiltryptaline, which works differently than SSRIs and am curious if that may be a viable option for me; although, if I am in a state of SS, I assume it would be best to avoid all medication.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Collin said:

This is a report of the drug interaction, which is indicated as a major risk. Why would my doctor prescribe the two together?

Because their training and understanding regarding prescription pharmaceuticals is very poor.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:14 PM, Collin said:

committed to solely taking the Escitalopram for 2 more days, only to experience the same expressions accompanied by significant dizziness, blurred vision, and lower body sweats during the night.

This and the symptoms that followed while you were taking escitalopram suggests the dosing of escitalopram alone was too high or it caused its own adverse reaction.

It takes a few days to a week for most regularly dosed psychiatric drugs to reach full effect. Most likely, when you first started escitalopram with buspirone, 4 days was too short a time for them both to reach full effect. When you took them again, you were already primed to feel the effects of the combination and then escitalopram alone.

You're not experiencing withdrawal; I would not reinstate anything. If I were you, I'd let my nervous system settle down from the adverse drug effects. We expect will be very gradual over weeks or months. Your situation is like this: Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

What date did you go off each drug? Please indicate in your signature.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

@Altostrata I appreciate your response. I was considering taking Ativan to mitigate the symptoms I am experiencing from my adverse reaction to the Escitalopram; would this delay my CNS ability to heal and recover?

• Administrator

I would not bring in the complication of a benzo if I could help it. What is your current daily symptom pattern? 

I really need to know when you went off each drug, what date was the last time you took any of them?

@Altostrata I modified my signature to reflect the occurrence of events. My daily symptoms consist of extreme anxiety, dizziness, confusion, irritability, blurred vision, tinnitus, mild flu like symptoms, and cognitive dysfunction. Constipation was a recent concern but it seems to have resolved and the tinnitus actually went away for two whole days before returning. The impact these symptoms have had on my life has been so unbearable lately that I have reluctantly resorted taking 1mg of Alprazolam to avoid having full blown panic attacks, which is why I asked if doing so would hinder my CNS' ability to heal. I'm trying to remain hopeful that this will pass but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to have faith with each passing day considering the extent of what I'm experiencing.

• Administrator
On 3/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, Collin said:

I have reluctantly resorted taking 1mg of Alprazolam to avoid having full blown panic attacks, which is why I asked if doing so would hinder my CNS' ability to heal.

You have to do what you have to do. Taking a benzo every day probably will bring about physical adaptation to the benzo, meaning you'll have to taper off when you're done. You may also get adverse effects such as interdose withdrawal or paradoxical reactions from the benzo.