SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alias94: experiencing withdrawal from Sertraline with severe insomnia

Alias94

Hi,

I am 29 y.o. guy with a total history of about 6 yrs medication on and off.

I started taking Sertraline and had two attemps to quit which was diagnosed as relapses. I had no idea about a thing called withdrawals until the 2nd week of my last reinstatement which was in a high dose excceded to 100 after 25 then 50 then 75 within some days. Which I believe resulted in bad reactions and kindling as my insomnia got worse, I had back pain, induced anxiety and many other issues. The sleep problem never went away even during the third use.

Every two times, I reinstated I had a bad pain in back of my head left side down to my neck for some reason as well.

I was desperately looking for help to taper down and as I recently moved to Finland I was switching between doctors. One of them told me that theh don't say people about withdrawals and since I am sensitive let's taper in 12 weeks which I did. But I was feeling ok just sleeping problems while quitting, a few weeks later I became like a zombie which lasted till now more or less. I developed new symptoms and mostly having severe cognitive issues and problem with learning. I said to myself this will pass and months has gone by. But I'm a PhD student here and I live alone. I can't do my work and I'm worried sick. Sorry if my English is not good, I hope you got my point. I'm going on a part time sick leave for 3 months but I think this would last long. Since it's been a few months since I came off I'm not sure if it's a good idea to reinstate or not.

I have a red mark in my belly and also rash and eczema in my lower lip area since last year on and off almost every which might indicate an adverse reaction of drug or withdrawal symptom.

I have a persistent sleeping issue which didn't subside much during third round of medication, the only difference was I could sleep for a few hrs. I used to take my pill in laste evenings but third I was taking it in the morning because of sleeping issue, taht was the only change I made. I was feeling weird thing happeing in my head like releasing some substances for sometime while going on them last time which was weird.

All of these makes me worried because I don't want to loose my job and I'm worried if I don't try reinstatement if that could relieve some symptoms, new symptoms may arrive. 

I never quit cold turkey but always in a months but linearly and not properly. Last time, I guess I came off even faster than two other times.

Currently, I have severe insomnia, vision problems, hypersensitivity to sound, hot flushing, burning sensations, nerve pains, wired sensations not painful though on my head (especially that part that was in pain while reinstating each time), feeling of my skull is expanding or maybe its some inflammation, genital numbness, eczema, anxiety, feeling slowminded and kinda retarded, awful memory, unable to write and think clearly, bloated bowl and sometimes anxiety and feeling stressed out. They come and go.

I used to have bad nightmares too.

What do you suggest?

I am worried that my situation doesn't subside before I have a chance to pass my midterm review and later complete my phd. I need to be able to settle down otherwise everything would go for worst and I would end up crashing and coming back to my home country which is not a perfect place to live.

Does every reinstatement certainly means expriencing more severe withdrawals while tapering or it depends on how one tapers?

I am worried that I'm too hypersensitive or damaged because of the last round of medication that I would exprience more horror if I don't do things wisely whether it's by doing nothing or small reinstatement.

Thank you.

Edited by Gridley

2017-Dec2019 Sertraline started with 25 after each 3 months increased between 25-50 increments up to 200 then reduced to 12.5 before stopping in 1.5 year (last dose was 12.5 to my best recollection) (taken at night)

Mar2020-Feb2022 Sertraline same approach but slowlier between from 25 to 100 then from Jul21 reduced to 12.5 probably and done (taken at night)
April2022-Sep2022 Sertraline within weeks went to 100 but when I realized the cause was withdrawals tried reduced to 75 and then tapered down over 3months to app. 6.25 ended late Sep  (taken in morning)

Taking Mirtazapine 1/8 of 15mg pill occasionally during summer 

And doxepin 3-1.5mg around Jan-Feb23 occasionally.

I had been using Zolpidem 3nights during the third round for sleep didnt work and I was in seizure

Sleep never went to the same even after last reinstatement

Supplements VitaminD3 50, Mag, Omega3, Melatonin 1mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants, Alias94.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  A list format (not a paragraph format) is best.  Once we have this information, we'll be in a better position to offer suggestions regarding a possible reinstatement.

Specifically, we need the following information.  Approximate dates are fine if you don't remember the exit dates.  No symptoms, just dates and dosages.

--date you started Sertraline and dosage

--dates of your two attempted tapers and rate of your taper, including dosages you tapered from and dosages you reinstated

--date and rate of your most recent taper

--dates and dosages of each stage of your recent reinstatement 

Use this link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  They could also be caused by kindling, which could have caused an adverse reaction, or a combination.   

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here's a link on kindling.

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Here's some basic information on reinstatement for you to consider.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  It isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms but it’s the best tactic available. The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take quite a while longer.  

Reinstatement predictably works up to 3 months after last dose, though it can work after that point.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it makes thing worse.    It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, your system has become sensitized from all the dose changes, and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please read:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Again, we can make a recommendation about the advisability of reinstating once you've given us the information requested for your drug signature.  Please do not reinstate without giving us an opportunity to make suggestions.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Alias94: experiencing withdrawal from Sertraline with severe insomnia
39 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants, Alias94.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  A list format (not a paragraph format) is best.  Once we have this information, we'll be in a better position to offer suggestions regarding a possible reinstatement.

Specifically, we need the following information.  Approximate dates are fine if you don't remember the exit dates.  No symptoms, just dates and dosages.

--date you started Sertraline and dosage

--dates of your two attempted tapers and rate of your taper, including dosages you tapered from and dosages you reinstated

--date and rate of your most recent taper

--dates and dosages of each stage of your recent reinstatement 

Use this link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  They could also be caused by kindling, which could have caused an adverse reaction, or a combination.   

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here's a link on kindling.

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Here's some basic information on reinstatement for you to consider.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  It isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms but it’s the best tactic available. The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take quite a while longer.  

Reinstatement predictably works up to 3 months after last dose, though it can work after that point.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it makes thing worse.    It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, your system has become sensitized from all the dose changes, and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please read:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Again, we can make a recommendation about the advisability of reinstating once you've given us the information requested for your drug signature.  Please do not reinstate without giving us an opportunity to make suggestions.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

5 hours ago, Alias94 said:

Hi,

I am 29 y.o. guy with a total history of about 6 yrs medication on and off.

I started taking Sertraline and had two attemps to quit which was diagnosed as relapses. I had no idea about a thing called withdrawals until the 2nd week of my last reinstatement which was in a high dose excceded to 100 after 25 then 50 then 75 within some days. Which I believe resulted in bad reactions and kindling as my insomnia got worse, I had back pain, induced anxiety and many other issues. The sleep problem never went away even during the third use.

Every two times, I reinstated I had a bad pain in back of my head left side down to my neck for some reason as well.

I was desperately looking for help to taper down and as I recently moved to Finland I was switching between doctors. One of them told me that theh don't say people about withdrawals and since I am sensitive let's taper in 12 weeks which I did. But I was feeling ok just sleeping problems while quitting, a few weeks later I became like a zombie which lasted till now more or less. I developed new symptoms and mostly having severe cognitive issues and problem with learning. I said to myself this will pass and months has gone by. But I'm a PhD student here and I live alone. I can't do my work and I'm worried sick. Sorry if my English is not good, I hope you got my point. I'm going on a part time sick leave for 3 months but I think this would last long. Since it's been a few months since I came off I'm not sure if it's a good idea to reinstate or not.

I have a red mark in my belly and also rash and eczema in my lower lip area since last year on and off almost every which might indicate an adverse reaction of drug or withdrawal symptom.

I have a persistent sleeping issue which didn't subside much during third round of medication, the only difference was I could sleep for a few hrs. I used to take my pill in laste evenings but third I was taking it in the morning because of sleeping issue, taht was the only change I made. I was feeling weird thing happeing in my head like releasing some substances for sometime while going on them last time which was weird.

All of these makes me worried because I don't want to loose my job and I'm worried if I don't try reinstatement if that could relieve some symptoms, new symptoms may arrive. 

I never quit cold turkey but always in a months but linearly and not properly. Last time, I guess I came off even faster than two other times.

Currently, I have severe insomnia, vision problems, hypersensitivity to sound, hot flushing, burning sensations, nerve pains, wired sensations not painful though on my head (especially that part that was in pain while reinstating each time), feeling of my skull is expanding or maybe its some inflammation, genital numbness, eczema, anxiety, feeling slowminded and kinda retarded, awful memory, unable to write and think clearly, bloated bowl and sometimes anxiety and feeling stressed out. They come and go.

I used to have bad nightmares too.

What do you suggest?

I am worried that my situation doesn't subside before I have a chance to pass my midterm review and later complete my phd. I need to be able to settle down otherwise everything would go for worst and I would end up crashing and coming back to my home country which is not a perfect place to live.

Does every reinstatement certainly means expriencing more severe withdrawals while tapering or it depends on how one tapers?

I am worried that I'm too hypersensitive or damaged because of the last round of medication that I would exprience more horror if I don't do things wisely whether it's by doing nothing or small reinstatement.

Thank you.

I have updated my signature.

2017-Dec2019 Sertraline started with 25 after each 3 months increased between 25-50 increments up to 200 then reduced to 12.5 before stopping in 1.5 year (last dose was 12.5 to my best recollection) (taken at night)

Mar2020-Feb2022 Sertraline same approach but slowlier between from 25 to 100 then from Jul21 reduced to 12.5 probably and done (taken at night)
April2022-Sep2022 Sertraline within weeks went to 100 but when I realized the cause was withdrawals tried reduced to 75 and then tapered down over 3months to app. 6.25 ended late Sep  (taken in morning)

I had been using Zolpidem 3nights during the third round for sleep didnt work and I was in seizure

The first two times there were no major issue that could indicate something is wrong with tapering down. And the symptoms only appears a few weeks after I was totally off. Both times there were some traumatic situation like Covid and second time was falling in love not successful to proceed. The third I thought by avoiding triggers I can quit easily but I was wrong even though that I didn't exprience mood swings and anxiety last time. I developed other symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alias94

Thanks for updating your signature.  The most important information is that your last dose of Sertraline was 6.25mg in late September, 2022.

As I said in my previous post, reinstatement works most predictably if done within 3 months of our last dose, though it can work farther out.  You're now 6 months out.  It might work.  We've seen reinstatements farther out than 6 months help.

If you decide to reinstate, I'd suggest a dose of 0.5mg Sertraline--no more.  You definitely don't want to overwhelm your system.  This link tells how to get that dose.  If prescription liquid Sertraline is available in Finland, that would be the easiest method.  A compounding pharmacy is also a good approach  Both these methods require a prescription.  Two methods you can do on your own are making your own liquid and weighing doses using a digital scale, such as the Smart Weigh Gem 20 available on Amazon.  It's all in the link:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Though you might feel the effects of the reinstatement the first day, it takes a week to 10 days for a reinstated dose to be fully felt.  If .5mg isn't enough after 10 days, we can talk about very slowly going higher.  But we need to see how .5mg works.  If you feel worse after reinstating the .5mg, stop the reinstatement immediately.

It's a good idea to keep daily notes on your symptoms to track how the reinstatement is working.  Please also keep us updated.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I know it is a little bit late for reinstatement. I have been thinking about it most recently because I am having so much trouble doing my research and situation is getting worse.

If I want to reinstate, is it okay to take that at night but a specific time?

If my situation has improved, does it mean that while coming off I will again go through the same horror another time or that could be mitigated by right attitude and better tapering?

I will try to get in contact with a doctor and get a prescription for this. Unfortunately, there's no fluid form available in Finland so probably I should think of another way. I'll check the link. 

Thank you very much for your quick prompt. Is there any thing else worth mentioning? Is it possible that I had a kindling or adverse reaction last time based on my intro? I have a red mark on my belly which I have a feeling appeared at those times but not 100% sure.

I am very sorry but I forgot to mention that I had been taking very low dose of Mirtazapine for sleep 1/8 of 15mg pill in summer. And doxepin 3-1.5 after coming off drug for a month or two. But they were not helpful with my sleep so I stopped taking them.

@Altostrata

Appologies tagging you here. I'm clueless about what's best course of action. I know that I am the one who should decide but I thought maybe by getting more advice, I could have a better informed decision. I know it might be too late for reinstatement or might still help. But if you could read my intro and give some personal tips I'd be grateful.

Thank you!!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, Alias94 said:

is it okay to take that at night but a specific time?

Because Sertraline is activating/stimulating, it would be better to take the reinstated dose in the morning.

while coming off I will again go through the same horror another time or that could be mitigated by right attitude and better tapering?

You would go off the reinstated dose very slowly (10% of current dose every 4 weeks, link is in my first post to you ), so that would mitigate withdrawal. 

Is it possible that I had a kindling or adverse reaction last time based on my intro?

There is no way to know.  It is possible.  It is also possible that you reinstated too high, which would have caused a bad reaction.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Alias94 said:

I had been taking very low dose of Mirtazapine for sleep 1/8 of 15mg pill in summer. And doxepin 3-1.5 after coming off drug for a month or two.

Please add these to your signature.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

hi @Alias94

I got your message. My most recent withdrawal was from lexapro not zoloft, I was cold switched from zoloft to celexa to lexapro many many years before my final taper

I am not able to answer the questions about what you should do, I'm sorry, that's something only you can decide.

it is a difficult position to be in and a hard decision to make. 

I am sorry you are not doing well but you will get better, it just takes time.  

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Mentor

@Alias94 I too answered your message, a few days ago.  I don't know if you saw my reply. I know you are suffering and wish you the very best. You will improve.

Edited by RachelSusan
spelling

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY