Cross over from tablet to liquid OR changing the brand

Pinchy

My Gemini scale arrived this week with a set of glass graduated cylinders. I've read that the transition from solid to liquid dosing can be a little hairy. Can anyone help with suggestions for making the switch?

Am currently taking ~8mg, in pieces, with a glass of water. I would like to be dosing completely in liquid form by the time my dose gets down to 5 mg in a few months. Should I just start dissolving all 8mgs now, or divide the dose into liquid and solid portions. If so, is there any ratio I should be targeting? I also have 00 gelatin capsules that I can fill with solid portions to conserve the bits that disintegrate to powder if necessary.

Starting a Trintellix taper due to fatigue and emotional blunting.

Took 20 mg for depression and anxiety, starting March 2018 thru 11/1/19, then 10 mg for about 4 wks, then 10 mg every other day 12/1/19 -12/17/19.

Switched to daily dosing 12/18/19, approx 8mg daily until scale arrived at Xmas, then 8mg daily until present.

Hi Pinchy-- welcome to SA, I'm so glad you found us, but so sorry that you are in a position to need our help. Thank you for adding a signature block, it really helps us to see what is going on.  We are quite familiar with transitioning from tablets to liquids and although it is a bit fiddly and time consuming the process is pretty straight forward.  Looks like you have the right equipment coming in the mail.  A graduated syringe will probably be helpful too, but that is down the road a little bit.

I see that you refer to your dose as approximately 8mg.  It is very important that the doses be as exact a possible, consistency  is a major key to a smooth taper. So the first thing to do with the scales is to determine the exact dose you are taking, and make it so you are taking the same amount consistently.

Switching from tablet to liquid is done by employing a "cross taper" where you decrease the amount of tablet in a dose and replace it with liquid.  This is usually done over four to six weeks and is followed by several weeks at the same dose to stabilize and work out any kinks.  Once stable you can start to reduce the dose according to your plan.

Why are you wanting to change over to liquid? If it is for more accurate dosing, there may be other options.  Making a homemade liquid with Trintellix is going to be a multi step process because it is not directly soluble in water.  It must be dissolved in a bit of vodka first and then added to the water to make up the desired volume.  We can get into the details later.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your reply. 

I had been dosing with 10 mg, every other day, when I joined the site earlier this month. Last week I took another member's advice and switched to daily dosing.  It was impossible to measure accurately until the scale arrived this week, but I did my best to aim for 8 mg until then. Now that I can portion the doses more accurately,  the plan is to stabilize on 8mg for the next 30 days.

I portioned out my doses for the coming week and the scale was pretty touchy. I used pieces instead of grounding the pill all the way down, and I estimate that each dose is 62-63 mg, give or take 5 mg for small variations in pieces and measurement. I put each dose in a gel cap.

I have been very fortunate to have not had any significant withdrawal symptoms so far. My understanding is that changes become less tolerable as the dose decreases,  so it's probably best to make the transition from solid to liquid before the next dose reduction. I plan to use a small amount of vodka to dissolve the pills and then dilute to a manageable volume to keep the dosing accurate and precise. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have some syringes on hand in addition to the graduated cylinders. 

Where can I find more info on cross tapering? Is 3-4 steps from solid to liquid a reasonable plan?  Maybe start with 6mg solid to 2 mg liquid, and then adjust in increments of 1-2 mg per week?

I would also be interested in better alternatives if there's something more convenient than the cross taper. I have a stone mortar and pestle to grind pills in, but I can tell that powder is going to be tricky on the milligram scale.

(Edited for typo.)

Took 20 mg for depression and anxiety, starting March 2018 thru 11/1/19, then 10 mg for about 4 wks, then 10 mg every other day 12/1/19 -12/17/19.

Switched to daily dosing 12/18/19, approx 8mg daily until scale arrived at Xmas, then 8mg daily until present.

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Pinchy said:

Where can I find more info on cross tapering? Is 3-4 steps from solid to liquid a reasonable plan?  Maybe start with 6mg solid to 2 mg liquid, and then adjust in increments of 1-2 mg per week?

Our general recommendation for a crossover, whether from new brand to old brand generic or tablet to liquid is:

3/4 old, 1/4 new for 3 to 7 days 

1/2 old, 1/2 new for 3 to 7 days

1/4 old, 3/4 new for 3 to 7 days

all new thereafter

Stay at the same dose during the crossover period.

12 hours ago, Pinchy said:

I would also be interested in better alternatives if there's something more convenient than the cross taper. I have a stone mortar and pestle to grind pills in, but I can tell that powder is going to be tricky on the milligram scale.

I grind my Lexapro into a powder using two spoons and haven't had any difficulty.  I use the little spoon that comes with the Gemini scale to subtract, brushing it off onto a post-it.  I also use the little tongs or the spoon to add back to get the desired weight.  Once you get the right weight you can pour into a capsule (I use size 00) using a folded post-it or the (I don't know what you call it) the little circular thing with the groove that comes with the scale.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley has given good information on doing the cross taper, It's really pretty straight forward.

The alternative to the liquid would be grinding up the tablets, weighing them on the scale and putting it in gel caps.  It really comes down to which is easier for you.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you Gridley and Brassmonkey for the good info. I'll be considering the next step and will post an update when the time to change it up comes closer. 

• 1 month later...

MFG AMNEAL vs. MFG CAMBER(mod note: title added after merged to topic)

Hi everyone. I just recently got another bottle of lexapro liquid, as I have been for a while now. I’m currently at 3.75, but want to ask if this I s common or something to be concerned about...

my medicine tastes completely different. Could it just be because of the different brand? Will this be okay? Any insight is super appreciated, love you guys!

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to pre existing topic, title added

Klonopin starting December, 2017 -  5mg - took it for 3 maybe 4 months. 

Lexapro - 10mg starting November 2017, then perscribed 20mg two months later, am still on lexapro presently.

I cold turkeyed off of Klonopin and had horrific withdrawal, every symptom other than being hospitalized.

I cold turkeyed off of Lexapro for 5 days, reinstated back to 20 mg for 3 months before looking into tapering. (unsure how long it may have been more)

I have dropped from 20 to 3.5mg in 9.5 months. 

I just reinstated from 3.5 to 3.75mg and have been on it for 4 days.

I have taken multi vitamins, niacin, ginko baloba, amino acids, and protein drinks supplements.

I have smoked weed for 6 months, just stopped for good three weeks ago.

I have drank on the weekends in excess for many months in the past.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Healedfromabove1, @Healedfromabove1

Hey, I merged your post here to an ongoing topic on your question, and also added it to your introduction/update page.

How are you doing since the change in manufacturers?

And if it were me, I would NOT do any further tapers, until I was sure I was doing okay on the present dose with the new manufacturer.

The change is taste is not too concerning, that just means they are using different additives for flavoring, and should not effect the actual drug that you are ingesting and ultimately absorbing.

That's all I've got on it, for now.  Maybe others will chime on in.

You may find something here that offers reassurance too, Healed.

Myths About Your Drugs

^ this is a nice piece that moderator brassmonkey put together, not too long ago and it may apply, @brassmonkey

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
@'s added, link added, taste comment

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for this reply. I am going to be asking my doctor tomorrow to get a refill for the other brand. I am experiencing a metallic taste in my mouth and have been now for 4 days. 

Lexapro - 10mg starting November 2017, then perscribed 20mg two months later, am still on lexapro presently.

I cold turkeyed off of Klonopin and had horrific withdrawal, every symptom other than being hospitalized.

I cold turkeyed off of Lexapro for 5 days, reinstated back to 20 mg for 3 months before looking into tapering. (unsure how long it may have been more)

I have taken multi vitamins, niacin, ginko baloba, amino acids, and protein drinks supplements.

1 hour ago, Healedfromabove1 said:

Thank you for this reply. I am going to be asking my doctor tomorrow to get a refill for the other brand. I am experiencing a metallic taste in my mouth and have been now for 4 days. 

You can also just go back to the pharmacy and ask them direct if they can get the old manufacturer.  

9/2018- lexapro low dose few days.11/3/2018- zoloft 2 days

11/7/18  - 11/15/18 - Prozac 9 days, from 10 mg for week, to 20

11/16  inpatient put on Lexapro for a few days, Cymbalta, 2 days

11/24-12/8 - gabapentin 100 mg 3xs per day - a very fast taper

1/7 - tbuspar for  three days- blurry vision, jerky eye

1/17/19 - 2/15/19- mirtazapine 15 mg - started taper on 1/30 

2/20/19 gabapentin 600 mg. .  12/20-  taper finished

2/20/19 - seroquel 25 mg current - taken  10 pm

2/20/19- luvox (generic) 25 mg.  4/6/19  to 18.75 mg .held  . Started taper again  1/7/21- 15 mg, 2/7/21- 12.5 mg, 3/7/21 -10 mg, 4/1/21- 9 mg, 5/1/21- 8.1 mg, 5/27/21- updose to 10 mg,  6/21-  in patient updose to 50 mg,  6/25/21- reduce to 10 mg (current) .  9/5- split dose 5mg am/5 mg pm.  9/20- 4 mg am/5 mg pm . 

9/1/21-  took one dose of vistril 50 mg.   

9/1/21-accidental double dose of seroquel- 50 mg 

I am going back on to the original brand. They said that CAMBER is undercutting AMNEAL by selling the drug for a third of the price. I was still able to get the AMNEAL though. I am having symptoms of withdrawal. Metallic taste, nausea, anxiety, chest pain. Crazy how a change just in brand can cause something like this. I am going to jump straight back in the dose from AMNEAL at 3.75mg and hope this symptoms go away quickly and there are no adverse reactions.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I use the term "cross over" for changing FORM of drug.

The term "cross taper" is used when changing to a different drug which is also know as "bridging" or "switch".  

PLEASE NOTE: 

Check whether the liquid will need to be dosed more than once per day; some drugs have a shorter half life when the tablet is crushed or you take prescription liquid.

The method being described in this topic is for changing FORM of drug. 

It is NOT about how to do a cross taper or bridge to a different drug. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes it is necessary or desirable to change form of drug OR change brand/generic of drug.

When this happens it is a good idea to do a cross over, eg to change from tablet to liquid, brand to a generic, one generic to a different generic.  This is more gentle on your nervous system.

Note:  It is a good idea not to leave getting your prescription filled until the last minute just in case there is a change in the brand/generic you can get.  This way you will still have a few of the old drug to at least do some form of cross over.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Only make one change at a time.  That is, if you are splitting your dose DO NOT make a dose reduction/increase, add/stop supplement, change brand or form of drug etc at the same time you are splitting your dose.

Try to measure your dose as accurately and consistently as possible.

To do a cross over you would take the following combinations for 3 to 7 days or longer if needed:

3/4 old form of drug (eg tablet) + 1/4 new form of drug (eg liquid)

1/2 + 1/2

1/4 + 3/4

Sometimes it is difficult to get the doses you need to do the cross over but you might be able to do:

2/3 old form + 1/3 new form

1/2 + 1/2

1/3 + 2/3

Please note that there are no hard and fast rules about how to do this.  Observe your symptoms and if needed stay on a combination for longer.

NOTE:  If you notice a worsening of your symptoms that you think is related to the new form of the drug it would be better to go back to the old form of the drug if possible.

Edited by ChessieCat
added extra info

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope that this topic is helpful for SA members.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Yes @ChessieCat, it is helpful. Thanks. Just heard my pharmacy is having trouble getting my usual brand. Fortunately I keep 12 weeks in hand for such times. Hopefully within that time they will get the usual brand, if not, in 8 weeks I’ll do a switch @25% a week. 

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this topic @ChessieCat! Do I need to be concerned when switching pharmacies? What should I be on top of?

1- October 2011- Wellbutrin. Few months later-Zyprexa. Quite some months later-DepakoteClonapen throughout. November 2014- med free successfully! (Quick doc taper)

2- November 2015- zyprexa (almost sure) May 2015- Lithium 900 mg throughout, carried over to pregnancy and next baby. Currently still on same lithium.     

3- June 20, 2017- zyprexa refused. June 21, 2017- forced hospitalization. June 2017- risperdal, lithium raised to 1200.

no memory when-zoloft. Got off risperdal with dr- no clue how fast or when.  June 2018- got off zoloft extremely fast resulting in complete dissociation (total disconnect of body), depression & severe fatigue

Around august 2019- lithium 1050. Lithium 975. Lithium 900. January 11, 2021Lithium 825.

February 5, 2021- Found SA 🌞! February 23, 2021- Compounding natural pharmacy 🙂. May 9, 2021- Lithium 750. August 30, 2021- Lithium 675

(will add in more dates when I figure them out)

June 23, 2022- Started brassmonkey slide 💟 June 23, 2022- Lithium 658

>ALL meds were coerced ILLEGALLY< 

CURRENT MEDS- 610 LITHIUM  MG (after 4 week hold. Brass monkey succesful)       CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS- magnesium 350 MG

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, HardWork said:

Do I need to be concerned when switching pharmacies? What should I be on top of?

Do NOT run out of your current prescription before getting the new ones so that if you are not able to get the same brand/generic you will at least be able to do a cross over.

BEFORE you give them the prescription to fill ask the pharmacist what brand/generic they will be issuing.  During my taper the Pristiq patent ran out (I was not aware of this) and when I went to pick up my tablets she had a generic pack on the counter and said do you want the generic (I was very glad she asked, because some would not have and it would have been very annoying having to return them, especially if I had run out) and I said no, I want the brand.

If you want to stick to the same brand/generic and you have access to different pharmacies do the rounds and find out what they issue.

You also might find it helpful to find a pharmacy that you can continue using who will hold the same type that you use for when your prescription is due to be reissued.

Generics might be cheaper than the brand version of a drug.  If you can afford to then it might be worth always getting the brand of the drug because it is more likely to be available for the duration of your taper.

Thank you @ChessieCat for your detailedresponse!! Unfortunately I did run out of meds before transferring pharmacy. That's because I had asked original pharmacy to transfer over drug formulation to new pharmacy and they were very delayed at doing it. Luckily I received the meds the day I ran out of it...

If the pharmacy gave over the info and the new one says its same can I just trust?

Also- originally I took Lithium ER, former compounding gave me SR, current pharmacy tells me it's ER but nothings on the bottle, & they told my Dr its immediate release cuz that's what I've been taking all along. My assumption- ER is prohibited to crush so they're keeping it quiet. Should I just trust and swallow? (Well that's what I did the past 10 years) Can I have your input on this?

Thanks for suggestion on using brand vs generic. Should I switch to brand if I used generic until now, or should I fear side effects?.. 

1- October 2011- Wellbutrin. Few months later-Zyprexa. Quite some months later-DepakoteClonapen throughout. November 2014- med free successfully! (Quick doc taper)

2- November 2015- zyprexa (almost sure) May 2015- Lithium 900 mg throughout, carried over to pregnancy and next baby. Currently still on same lithium.     

3- June 20, 2017- zyprexa refused. June 21, 2017- forced hospitalization. June 2017- risperdal, lithium raised to 1200.

no memory when-zoloft. Got off risperdal with dr- no clue how fast or when.  June 2018- got off zoloft extremely fast resulting in complete dissociation (total disconnect of body), depression & severe fatigue

Around august 2019- lithium 1050. Lithium 975. Lithium 900. January 11, 2021Lithium 825.

February 5, 2021- Found SA 🌞! February 23, 2021- Compounding natural pharmacy 🙂. May 9, 2021- Lithium 750. August 30, 2021- Lithium 675

CURRENT MEDS- 610 LITHIUM  MG (after 4 week hold. Brass monkey succesful)       CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS- magnesium 350 MG

Thank you @ChessieCat for your detailedresponse!! Unfortunately I did run out of meds before transferring pharmacy. That's because I had asked original pharmacy to transfer over drug formulation to new pharmacy and they were very delayed at doing it. Luckily I received the meds the day I ran out of it...

If the pharmacy gave over the info and the new one says its same can I just trust?

Also- originally I took Lithium ER, former compounding gave me SR, current pharmacy tells me it's ER but nothings on the bottle, & they told my Dr its immediate release cuz that's what I've been taking all along. My assumption- ER is prohibited to crush so they're keeping it quiet. Should I just trust and swallow? (Well that's what I did the past 10 years) Can I have your input on this?

Thanks for suggestion on using brand vs generic. Should I switch to brand if I used generic until now, or should I fear side effects?.. 

• 1 month later...

Hey @ChessieCat

Would going from shaving pills to crushing pills be considered a change of form? Same pill and still in gel capsules, the method of getting the pill down to the correct weight has changed. 

Thank you!

Ryan

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, ryan1982 said:

Would going from shaving pills to crushing pills be considered a change of form?

Yes I think it would simply because there would be a difference in the size, ie chunk/s compared to powder.  Think of it like this, if you have a candy/lolly/sweet and you put it in your mouth as a whole and the next time you crush one up and put that in your mouth, the crushed one will dissolve a lot quicker than the whole one. 

However, if nothing else has changed then it might be okay to go straight from one to the other.  And I don't know what sized chunk/s of tablet you have been using.  You will have to use your discretion.  If you do go straight from chunks to powder you might notice a change/increase in symptoms, but I think that things would settle fairly quickly and of course you would know what caused it so you wouldn't be too anxious about it.

If you did want to do a transition, eg if you know are sensitive to changes or just for peace of mind, you could partly crush your weighed tablet which you have shaved down and each time crush it a bit finer.

If it was me, I think I would take the cautious route and try to do a transition, simply because if it is possible to do it then I would, because better safe than sorry.  You wouldn't have to do it for very long.  I think you could do it over 3-4 days and I think it would be worth the little bit of extra effort, just knowing that you did it the best way you could.  It's similar to the conundrum of what dose to go down to before you stop completely.

• 6 months later...

I just found this thread on recommendation of another member.  I didn't know the terms correctly cross over or cross taper before, and I had been having prescriptions auto filled and wondering if I really needed them.  This thread has convinced me I was on the right track to store up a supply for a rainy day.  I now use honeybee pharmacy - I hope that's not restricted to say - because they're really nice and are able to get me the exact factory that I want for stability, unlike my local pharmacy that switches brands.  You never know, things can change like travel or losing bottles so better I have plenty of extras.   

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, j1290 said:

I just found this thread on recommendation of another member.  I didn't know the terms correctly cross over or cross taper before, and I had been having prescriptions auto filled and wondering if I really needed them.  This thread has convinced me I was on the right track to store up a supply for a rainy day.  I now use honeybee pharmacy - I hope that's not restricted to say - because they're really nice and are able to get me the exact factory that I want for stability, unlike my local pharmacy that switches brands.  You never know, things can change like travel or losing bottles so better I have plenty of extras.   

You need to ensure that they are not past their use by date at the time that you start taking them.

• Mentor

I think I may have to switch generics in a few weeks. But I’m not at all sure about mixing the contents of one pill with those of another. What if they react badly together? I am thinking a cold switch might be safer than risking interactions between different brands….how many people have done this crossover method and how has it gone for them?

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Faure said:

But I’m not at all sure about mixing the contents of one pill with those of another. What if they react badly together? I am thinking a cold switch might be safer than risking interactions between different brands

I've done two or three gradual switches from one generic to another, and all have gone well.  It seems to me that the risk of jarring the nervous system with a cold switch is greater than potential problems from mixing the contents of one generic with another. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Faure I agree with Gridley.  The drug in the tablets is the same.  The only difference is the other ingredients, but the other ingredient might cause the drug to be absorbed by the body at a different rate, which is why the combinations are suggested, to give you body and brain a chance to adjust to the change.

• Mentor

Thank you ChessieCat and Gridley for this reassurance. Perhaps it is better to do it this way…

I’ve got a list saved with different Mirtazapine brands and their ingredients if you want to see it @Faure. I actually found that some generics have exactly the same ingredients, so a swap causes no concern. I’ve done cold switches between generics (not out of choice) with 1 ingredient different which was fine.

Which brand are you on now and which one are you swapping to? I might be able to help.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• Mentor

Oooh, thanks. I’m currently on Milpharm and am waiting for Boots to tell me my prescription is in. Once I know what it is I’ll call to ask what it is & what others are available and get back to you… Thanks ☺️☺️☺️

• 3 weeks later...

Useful topic!

I recently switched from paxil liquid (out of stock) to compounding pharmacy paxil recipe. I did the smooth cross over however i got really sick with withdrawal approximately 6 weeks after the transition. It just didnt seem to work.

Then I noticed there were hardly any additives in this pharmacy recipe. 

2-3 weeks ago i switched again to generic Pandoz, without a transition, and a bit of liquid for accurate dosing. My CNS has become less stabile and i've got nausea and fatigue. Hope it won't take too long to stabilise again. 

Thank god for working partly from 'home office' since covid. 

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 9/25/2021 at 7:59 PM, ChessieCat said:

Check whether the liquid will need to be dosed more than once per day; some drugs have a shorter half life when the tablet is crushed or you take prescription liquid.

I have added the above to Post #1.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

So, I have just completed a crossover to a new brand of mirtazepine. I had been dreading it but to be honest I haven’t noticed much at all. I switched 25% at a time so:

25% new, 75% old for 3 days

50% new 50% old for 3 days 

75% new 25% old for 3 days

100% new

I asked the pharmacist if it was dangerous to mix the two different brands. She said no. I asked on here, people said no. So my conclusion is that in this instance it was all fine. I am very stable so that doubtless helped a lot. I was also away on holiday scheduled to do the switch, had the pills made up for each set of 3 days and thought I’d taken full supplies in case anything went wrong. It did: I and my mother got very ill with nasty colds, I had to look after her in bed, deal with being ill myself and do the switch because it turned out I’d forgotten to take the actual pills from the pharmacy so I had to go ahead with the switch. It was barely noticeable, a bit of anxiety when I woke up on day two but I was getting ill by then, it passed within a hour or so. 

So to anyone worrying about changing to a different brand I hope my experience helps you feel a little reassured. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Update: during days 4&5 (or so) on 100% of the new brand I had some low level anxiety. I decided to hold for a week before tapering again. The anxiety subsided and I started to feel more myself. I’ve decided to hold for a 2nd week before starting tapering again. I usually feel ready to taper but don’t yet. I’m sure I will soon! 

@ChessieCat hi chess I switched from Prozac tabs to liquid about for weeks ago now. I wasn’t able to do a slow crossover because of availability issues with the tablet manufacturer and the pharmacy, so I just made the switch. I’m still at 7.8mgs and last week I got hit with severe anxiety of the chemical kind. I’m still feeling it. Is it safe to ride this out? If I had to go back to tablets they would also be from a different manufacturer and he crushed and weighed. I didn’t enjoy or feel confident of the accuracy of the later. I was looking for your experience in assessing if this could be the source of the upped anxiety and if it normally passes. Appreciate your help thank you 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

• Mentor

Hi @Mezzer, sorry to hear you’ve been hit by anxiety following a crossover from tablets to liquid. My thoughts are that this will settle down over time and don’t make any changes till it does. It took me 4 weeks to fully settle on the new brand of tablet during my recent switch.  Chessie may come along to help you but please note she asks not to be tagged ☺️

• 3 weeks later...

Am I understanding this right. My Prozac capsules come from a few sources but all are 20mg. My pharmacy changes them randomly. Do I need to crossover every month. I am reluctant to speak with doctor and pharmacist as they don’t have a clue and it always ends in a debate on the existence or non existence of withdrawal.😡

2003/7 (at age 52)        Prozac 20mg. For chronic fatigue syndrome.    2007/10    20mg citalopram, 2010/11 Cold Turkey citalopram Severe withdrawal,  2011  back on citalopram 10mg, 2014  Discontinued Citalopram over a month period

2014/15                       Suffered severe withdrawal and was prescribed Prozac 20mg, 2017/18 After research I decided that I have never had such severe mental illness, only withdrawal

2017/20                       Various failed attempts to ‘taper’ (missing doses), 2020 Sept 16th started a 5% taper using mini scales, 2020 Nov Ended taper Back on 20mg Prozac

2021 Nov 24               Reduced to 19mg Prozac  from starting dose of 20mg (5% reduction) 2022 Jan 3rd              Reduced to 18mg Prozac (5.26% reduction)

2022 Feb 27th            Reduced to 17.2mg Prozac (4.44% reduction)

2022 Mar 12th            Reduced to 16.8mg Easier to read on Syringe 

2022 Jun 15               16mg  4.76% reduction

2023 Mar 29th          Reduced to 15.5mg

Hand on heart, "Personally I have never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal from Prozac" Dr P

Ask your GP or through your health insurance to get the same brand without constant switches. Preferably the one that suits you best.

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy