Hug Your Dog or Cat

Nikki

I just picked up my Chihuahua Ozzy and hugged and kissed him. I feel better :D

Edited by Altostrata
updated title to content

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Pix, please!

Just thinking about hugging a dog or cat makes me feel better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was a little bit teary a couple of weeks ago (neuro emotion)

My 4 month old kitten came racing up the stairs, across the lounge room,

ran up my body (as I sat on the couch) and wrapped herself around my neck

that fixed it

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

These pets are so healing. I read something about how the purr of the cat is on a healing frequency, and showed that broken bones healed faster from the purr of cats. I think they are a blessing. Weren't there studies as well that showed petting cats or dogs lowers blood pressure and helps with depression?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Here is a picture of my girls.

http://tinyurl.com/9e6n26t

Tasha, the reddish tan girl, will be 14 in January. Raven the lab mix just turned 6.

I lost my golden retriever boy, Tommy, in January. Still miss him horribly..

http://tinyurl.com/9v9n33b

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

• Administrator

dalsaan, that's a memory to cherish! Thanks for posting it so I could add it to my memory banks.

jfrank, what beautiful big dogs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Just a thought about our wonderful four footed friends, (even the two footed friends with feathers!), I really believe they are so in tune to us, more so than our human friends. I have a rescue cat, a himalayan cross I named Harry because he was such a shaggy mess in the years I fed him as one of my colony cats. I had to move him and ELEVEN other cars off a farm where they'd lived their whole lives. New tenants had moved into the place, with dogs that really didn't do cats. I was warned by the new tenants that the cats would most likely die.

Almost all the cats were feral.. I moved them to my mothers house in town (my mom had passed away many years before so nobody lived there). They had a fenced yard, big trees, plenty of shelter, fresh water and plenty of food. HARRY was one of these cats. He was probably 5or 6 by this time. We were on friendly terms at the farm but he had a fearful side to him, too. He had dodged dogs and coyotes his whole life, trust was a real issue. Now he was in the lap of luxury and responded by loving his new home and his full time human caregiver.

Well, HARRY moved up the ladder to the next level of luxury. One of our house cats died, creating an opening to give our other cat some company. We didn't know how it would work out since both cats are basically the same age, and both males. . That was about a year and a half ago. Well, HARRY is so grateful for his new life!! He sleeps on the bed (or wherever he would like to), rolls over on his back and stretches out to get his belly rubbed, and kisses us every chance he gets. He comes into the bedroom in the morning, rubbing his face on our heads and hands and flops over waiting to get his belly rubbed.

When I talk to him, I look him in his sapphire blue eyes and ask him how he's doing. He comes up to my face, rubs his face on mine and purrs with little low meows. He is the EPITOMY of happiness!!

When I'm having a really tough time, like in the mornings (doesn't everyone agree!!), Harry is particularly attentive and will not leave me until I really start moving around. Even then I look around and he is always within sight, talking back to me when I say his name.

This little creature expresses his love and gratitude to me every chance he gets. . In many ways, he and the rest of my beloved herd SAVED ME, in so many ways.

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

jfrank.....your little angels :) I'll post pics too.

They are a joy, pure, unadulterated love with no strings attached ;)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

What a lovely story, spectio. Do you have a photo of Harry?

How are the cats in your mother's house doing?

• Moderator Emeritus

I would liek to post pictures of my buddies but the files are too big. Is there a way to shrink them down?

My animals have always been a source of love and pleasure - I don't know where I would be without them!

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Alto, I guess there's a few of us that don't know how to post pictures. How can I shoot pictures to the site from my iPad? Harry is VERY photogenic and would like to show off for all the animal lovers out there. Please make your instructions very simple. Thanks!!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

ALto, missed replying to you re: the other cats at my moms. Most have stuck around. One was euthanized due to kidney failure, three were kittens and they found great homes. A couple of big (newly neutered) males decided they weren't staying. The others are doing fine. I did the best I could with a bad situation.

• Administrator

spec, I wish I could tell you how to change your pix.

There are photo editors apps for that, some free, like Photoshop Express.

If you've got iPhoto already, you can make the pix smaller.

Here is my dog, Lacy. She's 13 years old. I love Border Collies. Lacy has been through a lot. She suffers a lot with a skin condition, which I do keep under control with a lot of work. She is worth it though :)

Posted Image

This is my cat, Singer. I call her Kiki. She was lost in Lake Shastina and I adopted her a couple of years ago. She is always with me. She's been very good company laying in bed with me while I've been down for the last couple of years. I feel she is so healing to me with her presence.

Posted Image

Edited by Altostrata
replaced photo at poster's request

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Lovely, aren't they a treasure?

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy