Guides to tapering off psychiatric medications

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alto

Did you get a response to your follow up email?

Cheers

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Nope. After a while, I sent them this.

Subject: Re: The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry

Date: November 20, 2012 5:46:42 PM PST

To: David Taylor <David.Taylor at slam.nhs.uk>

Cc: carol.paton at oxleas.nhs.uk, Shitij Kapur <shitij.kapur at kcl.ac.uk>

Dr. Taylor, you and your colleagues may be interested in the following paper, which suggests reactions to abrupt discontinuation may be more severe and longer lasting than only two weeks:

J Psychiatry Neurosci 2001;26(1):44–8.

Abrupt discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy: fear of teratogenic risk and impact of counseling.

Einarson A, Selby P, Koren G.

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11212593 with free full text.

Throughout the literature, there are indications abrupt discontinuation leads to more severe and longer lasting withdrawal syndrome than tapering, as well as suggestions that, if withdrawal symptoms appear during tapering, the tapering be slowed with smaller decrements, not with abrupt discontinuation.

This is borne out by hundreds of thousands of posts all over the Web by patients who have discontinued too rapidly and report suffering withdrawal symptoms for months or even years.

Here are the results of a recent informal Web survey conducted by the Royal College of Psychiatrists http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvice/treatments/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx :

"People in our survey report that the symptoms generally lasted for up to 6 weeks. A small percentage of symptoms lasted longer than this. A quarter of our group reported anxiety lasting more than 12 weeks."

Please reconsider revising this section of the Maudsley, as clinicians may be injuring people by too-abrupt discontinuation.

Sincerely,

Altostrata

SurvivingAntidepressants.org

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

In the [Icarus Harm Reduction Guide to Coming off Psychiatric Drugs & Withdrawal] guide, it says: 'Some people may go slower or faster, but a good guideline is 10% or less

of their original dose, every 2-3 weeks or longer.'

Shouldnt it say 10 % of every last dose someone is taking?

Edited by Altostrata
added clarification and link

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

yes...it should...is that the updated manual (2nd edition) or the first one?

I'll let Will know if it's the new edition

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

It's in the second edition, that I got from his own website.

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

• 11 months later...

I know that what I learned on this site, everyone says that while tapering, if you get withdrawal symptoms, pushing back up the dosage doesnt always work.  I read Glenmullen's book, and he never mentions that. He also says that your original disorder would come back between 1-2 months after stopping the pill, and withdrawals come within days?  When I went cold turkey, I started the Effexor back 2 months after, and it took 6 months for me to start feeling better.

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

December 2010 - reinstated 75mgs Effexor XR, felt no better months later

January 2011 - Began 5% taper every month

2012 - Anxiety began improving by had many windows and waves

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2016 - Fear, anxiety began to wane

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

December 2020 - Now at ~31mgs Effexor XR, 5mgs Crestor 

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

• Administrator

Read the insert in your package of Effexor XR. What does it say about discontinuation?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I see nothing there that says reinstating may not work, nor does it mention how to determine if your original disorder returns.

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

December 2010 - reinstated 75mgs Effexor XR, felt no better months later

January 2011 - Began 5% taper every month

2012 - Anxiety began improving by had many windows and waves

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2016 - Fear, anxiety began to wane

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

December 2020 - Now at ~31mgs Effexor XR, 5mgs Crestor 

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

• Administrator

This is the limit of what medicine knows, and most doctors don't even know this:

From FDA advice about discontinuation

Discontinuation of Treatment With Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Tablets

Discontinuation symptoms have been systematically evaluated in patients taking Venlafaxine, to include prospective analyses of clinical trials in Generalized Anxiety Disorder and retrospective surveys of trials in major depressive disorder. Abrupt discontinuation or dose reduction of Venlafaxine at various doses has been found to be associated with the appearance of new symptoms, the frequency of which increased with increased dose level and with longer duration of treatment. Reported symptoms include agitation, anorexia, anxiety, confusion, impaired coordination and balance, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, dysphoric mood, fasciculation, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, headaches, hypomania, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, sensory disturbances (including shock-like electrical sensations), somnolence, sweating, tremor, vertigo, and vomiting.

During marketing of Venlafaxine, other SNRIs (Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors), and SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures. While these events are generally self-limiting, there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with Venlafaxine. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate....

We know reinstatement doesn't always work because we see people here who have tried it and not had good results.

There are many studies in the scientific literature that show doctors cannot recognize withdrawal syndrome and almost always misdiagnose it as "relapse." This contaminates every study of antidepressant efficacy where patients have been taken off the drugs and said to have "relapsed," thereby demonstrating a need for continuing to treat the psychiatric condition with antidepressants.

There is a giant question mark about how often relapse actually does happen after going off drugs.

John, this site exists because of a vacuum of knowledge among doctors. I would be happy to close it tomorrow if doctors took the responsibility for tapering people off drugs and monitoring for withdrawal symptoms.

I suggest you read 10 of the Introductions topics and decide for yourself if people are being well-served by their doctors.

If you don't want to believe what you see here about reinstatement, you are free to reinstate or not as you wish.

The basic premises of this site are explained in the Read this First forum and in pinned topics at the top of the Tapering and Symptoms forums. If these premises doesn't fit your understanding of your reality, you are welcome to go elsewhere.

• 4 years later...

If skipping doses by following a tapering schedule of taking medication every other day, then every two days, then every three days... is not written in any of the guides given to doctors, WHY ARE THEY ALL STILL DOING IT?   Given where I live, I had access to the top psychiatrists in both Rutgers and Princeton University.  The Rutgers psychiatrist told me to skip doses, defending his method with "that's exactly how we taper Heroin!"  And the Princeton psychiatrist told me to just quit cold turkey after being on Effexor/Pristiq for SEVEN years!  When I mentioned bridging to Prozac she had never heard of it, thought it was ridiculous, and got angry at me for even suggesting that quitting cold turkey was dangeous, saying, "lots of my patients do it."   These are not some shrinks in private practice, these are doctors who are heading entire inpatient and outpatient units at major research universities.  How is it that they do not know?!!  

(Ugh, I'm so mad, because they same thing is happening to my cousin who is under the care of Neurologists at a prominent hospital in Philadelphia, and they are having him skip doses and rapidly withdraw from 3 psychotropic drugs at once, following brain surgery.  For 5 years he's been on an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer, and an opioid for severe migraines that were caused by a pituitary tumor than no one detected.  Arrggghhh! And he's one of those types that religiously does what doctors tell him.)

I just don't know why most psychiatrists and neurologists still instruct patients to taper their medications by skipping doses.  Would a doctor ever tell you to lose weight by only eating every other day?  Everyone knows that this would make your body go into alarm mode, thinking that there's a famine going on, and it would only start holding on to it's fat stores. You know what else it does? It starts feeding on it's own muscle tissue, and breaking it down for energy.  And the less muscle you have, the less fat your burn.  It's completely counterproductive.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

(I searched for a similar topic but didn't find one - the search timed out. Sorry if there is already one.)

I saw this article one from rxisk.org: https://rxisk.org/guide-stopping-antidepressants/#How_to_withdraw

It looks like a useful site. This concerns me, however : "Convert to a liquid form of the drug you are on. Reduce by a comfortable amount in weekly steps. This may mean reducing as little as 1 mg per week and being prepared to stop and stabilize if things get too difficult. Another approach is to reduce by 10% each week. For some people depending on the drug and their own physiology, there may be a need to go very slowly, others may be able to go faster."

I wonder if anyone has been in contact with David Healy about the speed recommended?

Cheers

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• Administrator

If you're taking 150mg of a drug,  a reduction of 1mg per week is indeed quite slow (until you get down to 10mg).

Reductions of 10% a week is a lot slower than what doctors are currently recommending and may work for some people. Our reductions of 10% per month are deliberately very conservative to avoid injury to a wider range of people.

He is correct in cautioning to taper slower if withdrawal symptoms appear. However, we see that withdrawal symptoms sometimes don't show up right away and a wait of a month is prudent.

Dr. Healy's instructions are accurate, but not specific enough. There's too much room for misunderstanding.

I'd love a resource to give to my providers from someone like Dr Healy (ie, a psychiatrist), but I agree about the possibility for misunderstanding. Rxisk.org isn't that one, or at least not yet. He's so close though!!!

(Thank you for merging the topics.)

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

• Administrator

Thank you for sharing what you've found.

(Hmm, I've just noticed an editing artefact in my original post. Sorry, it's too late to edit it.)

• Administrator

We're fine with imperfection.

I've been tapering my benzo, and the Aston Mannual serves as the premier authoritative resource for that drug.  Is there a similar book / reference I should know about before I start tapering my antidepressants?  Thought I'd check before I start asking a million questions here. Thanks!

Valium 8.87 mg - Holding at 8.87 mg.  Liquid tapered to 8.87 mg and began hold starting July 10.   Split into three equal dissolved liquid doses taken at equal intervals (8 hours apart).  Began liquid titrating at 11.0 mg.  Tapered to 9.0 mg, then held for May and June on 9.0 mg solid Valium to try and let my symptoms stabilize.  Benzo history:  Had been on an average 3 mg of Xanax since 1989. Started tapering the Xanax in February of 2015 because I thought it might be the cause of my increasing symptoms.  Was not aware that the overly prolonged Xanax taper my psychiatrist put me on was resulting in benzo withdrawal (figured this out on my own via Internet six months ago).   Crossed over from Xanax over to 20 mg of Valium in January 2018. 

Effexor XR 187.5 mg -  March 2017 - present.  Reduced from 225 mg to 187.5 mg in February 2018 with no significant adverse effects.

Mirtazipine 30 mg  - March 2017 - present.  Tried reducing by alternating 30 mg with 15 mg every other day for 2 weeks in November 2017, but felt depression creeping in so reinstated to 30 mg.

Lithium 450 mg -  Holding at 450 mg.  Cut from 562.5 to 450 on July 21 with no significant adverse effects.  Had been on 675 for a year prior to 562.5.  Was on 1,350 mg continuously from 2010 - May 2017

Parnate 50 mg -  January 2011 - March 2017.  Had felt pretty "good" on the parnate.  Started having unexplained health symptoms in 2013.  I told my psychiatrist that an ER doc had said it might be due to my psych meds, and I wanted off of them to eliminate that variable.  Psychiatrist ripped me off the lithium and parnate over a one month taper.  My mood an anxiety plummeted, so he put me on the Effexor - Remeron ("California Rocket Fuel") combination -- thanks a lot.

Prior to above, numerous different antidepressants tried since 1989.  Ones I can remember include Zoloft, Lamictal, Ablilify, Luvox, Seroquel.  On psychiatric meds continuously since 1989.  A "good patient,'"always taken exactly as prescribed.  No illicit drugs, average of 1 beer per week.  No health problems other than mild sleep apnea and the symptoms the  psych meds have caused.  Have had two neuropsychologcial tests done since I started tapering the Xanax -- they confirmed significant cognitive impairment in the areas of executive functioning, processing speed, short term memory, etc. (consistent with my reported cognitive symptoms).

• Administrator

No, there is no such central guide. See Official guides to tapering off psychiatric medications

:)

Hi Alto - this is a really old post, but did they ever respond and/or revise their recommendations?

• Administrator

The only response I received was to my November 10, 2012 note at 

The response was:

This advice is based on clinical and personal experience.  I know of no studies which support abrupt withdrawal but we have observed that symptoms persist only for a week or two after sudden stopping.

The reason it is not recommended to all is that the symptoms can be disabling and necessitate absence form work, etc.  Symptoms are better tolerated in slow withdrawal.

D

Professor David Taylor
Director of Pharmacy and Pathology

Thanks Alto.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy