Rhiannon

Weighted blankets & bed tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia, and anxiety

Happy2Heal

my therapist suggested I use a weighted blanket, but to be honest, I'd been thinking about getting one for some time.

The only thing holding me back was the price, they are expensive!!

I am fairly sure it's going to help me with anxiety and dissociation, because any time I've had a lead blanket on me during xrays, I've just felt so calm, I didn't want them to take it off!!

As it turns out, though, you don't have to buy one,  you can make them yourself. My therapist has made some for grandkids and others. She gave me some tips and told me of a few places where I could get the plastic pellets or beads for a good price (but I found an even better price, thankfully)

I already had some good fabric, so for about $38 (for the plastic pellets, 12 lbs worth**), I'll soon have my own weighted blanket. It's taking me a long time to make it because my brain is toast lately.

then I'll need to make a cover for it, because these can't be washed in a machine

but once it's done, I'll let you know how it works out.

I think these were originally designed for autistic children but they are now used for a lot of other reasons, one site that sells them has this list:

**they recommend 1lb of pellets for every 10lbs of body weight, plus an extra pound, but I don't have the money to buy more. I'm going to make a blanket that does not cover my feet, anyway, so it'll be a bit shorter and hopefully there will be enough weight where I need it the most.

Happy2Heal

the weighted blanket is done and it does help- when it stays put LOL

my first night using it, it slipped off and I had a bad dream and woke up in a panic, ick

I am going to have to find a way to keep it where i want it

I also think I should have made it heavier..... oh well.

scallywag

The nice thing about a handcrafted item like this is that you can modify it easily. You know how it was made!

Happy2Heal
7 hours ago, scallywag said:

The nice thing about a handcrafted item like this is that you can modify it easily. You know how it was made!

oh it would be very difficult to modify this now that it's finished, SW-

I would have to make a whole new blanket, which I might do at some point, but the plastic beads are pricey (one reason I didn't use as many as was recommended- and now I wish I had :/)

but it will do for now. it does help, but not as much as I'd hoped.

I guess I had some unrealistic expectations.  OK, I know I had some unrealistic expectations, heh. I imagined laying under it and drifting off to for a nice peaceful sleep of 7 hrs or so.

*sigh*

that will come, eventually.

ChessieCat

TIPS FOR MAKING A WEIGHTED BLANKET:

They aren't hard to make but you do need to plan ahead.  I made one for my son-in-law.  First off we tried using a single quilt cover but it was only a cheap one and was slippery.  I then used some calico curtain lining which I had from some old curtains.  I laid it flat folded in half (the long edge) on a 6 foot folding table and ruled lines from the folded edge.  I think we did 5 inch squares.  I then sewed the short row across the middle and then sewed down the long rows.  You then work from the middle towards the top and bottom.  When filling I only filled across 1 short row at a time, pinning each "pocket" and then stitched across.  It was too fiddly trying to do 2.  When doing 1 row the beads will fall to the left of the sewing machine and not get in the way.  I did try to fill 2 rows but accidentally sewed through a bead but thankfully because they are soft it didn't wreck anything.

The other thing I found helpful was putting a board beside/underneath the end of the sewing machine to rest the blanket on, so that the board makes an extension to the left of you and keeps the blanket all on one level.  I use my ironing board to sew on and the board extended across the ironing board.

You also need to add extra at the top and the bottom so that you can turn it over twice and stitch along to finish off.  So as an example add an extra 2 inches top and bottom and then turn over 1 inch and then turn over another inch and stitch along.

Edited by ChessieCat

Altostrata

Do-it-yourself weighted blankets https://diyprojects.com/weighted-blankets-diy/

https://qualityplasticpellets.com/2013/01/04/a-warm-night-in-the-diy-guide-to-a-weighted-blanket/  

I'll bet you can make one of these with an inexpensive zippered duvet or blanket cover; use a sewing machine to create 6-8 vertical channels most of the way up to the zipper (leave room so you can put stuffing in the channels), then fill the channels with plastic pellets (this is what seems to be the stuffing for most). Finally, sew horizontally across the top of the channels, under the zipper, to keep the plastic pellets in the channels.

It's possible you'll need a weighted blanket only for a while.

Courageous

I found this article helpful in choosing a weighted blanket:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/weighted-blankets-for-adults/

If purchasing one it's a good idea to select one with a return policy in case you find you don't like it.

I absolutely love mine and wish I'd gotten one years ago.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:34 PM, Happy2Heal said:

the weighted blanket is done and it does help- when it stays put LOL

my first night using it, it slipped off and I had a bad dream and woke up in a panic, ick

I am going to have to find a way to keep it where i want it

The manufacturer of mine explained that unlike a regular blanket the size should be chosen to fit the person, not the bed, so that it doesn't slip off.

getofflex

I just purchased a cooling weighted blanket on amazon.  I really hope it is cooling, because I suffer from hot flashes due to menopause.  I have a very thick heavy weighted blanket I've had for many years due to neurological issues I have, but it is so thick and heavy and made of polyester, so I suffocate under that.  If my new weighted blanket works, I'd be willing to sell my old heavy, warm weighted blanket.