alexjuice

A Few Guiding Goals Towards Health

alexjuice

Here are some steps I think may help me move on and get healthier.

1.) respect the past but don’t live in it. I can’t change the past

2.) don’t worry about bad things happening in the future. I don’t control all the bad things that might happen in the future.

3.) d0 3 things: sleep enough, walk outside and laugh — every day.

4.) reciprocally proportional relationships -- won't be a burden or be burdened by the people most consuming my time.

5.) eat appropriately.

6.) don't take drugs chronically.

7.) say my prayers (I'm not religious so I never got fooled into thinking prayer was about worship.)

8.) do stuff, practice new skills more frequent than I think about stuff and sit and watch others do stuff. I have eliminated my TV.

9.) have a routine. Getting better works better for me when I do the same things at the same times. Random activity is fine for the young and healthy but it's been the enemy of my recovery.

10.) believe in myself

11.) accept that which can't be changed

12.) GO! I am running out of time. BUT DON't RUSH IT! I don't want a setback

13.) Think probabilistically. I know most people make incorrect judgments about me (as they do when judging a lot of things by the conventional wisdom). I may need to meet more people to run across those agreeable in their perspective. I can always find a job, a doctor, a spouse, friends, hobbies -- it will take more looking than for a 'normal'

Cheers. Let's have a good day today.

Nikki

9.) have a routine. Getting better works better for me when I do the same things at the same times. Random activity is fine for the young and healthy but it's been the enemy of my recovery. Alex

Alex with starting a business and have slow times, I find that not having structure, particularly in the morning is not good for me. I did much better when the Alarm went off and I had to jump into the shower, hair, make-up, COFFEE, and out the door.

Not much time to wallow in fear and what if's.

Thank you for posting this list. ;)

Altostrata

Beautiful topic, thanks, alex.

Rhiannon

Nice, Alex, I'm printing out that list to put up on the wall.

annej

Nice Alex. Very, very helpful.

Routine, purpose, letting go of the past, remaining hopeful of the future.

All these things are so very helpful to me. :) Hugs, Annej

Shanti

These are very good healthy philosophies to live by! I'm going to do this too. One thing I'm working on right now is fooling myself into thinking something that feels negative is really positive and pretend to enjoy it in some way (my w/d symptoms, can't beat 'em so I'll join 'em in their party with my brain and CNS). "What we resist, persists".

Nikki

Alex, wanted to read this again as a gentle reminder....thank you ;)

fefesmom

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Lately I have been feeling up and then down often several times a day.

When I get down I now tell myself that this is just the resettling of my mind/body and to remember that it will pass.

When I am able to do that, I find I feel better very quickly and can go on with activities rather than canceling things and feeling worse.

I do find that a schedule/list is very helpful and the above helps me stick to it rather than give into feeling down and then feeling worse.

FM

Nikki

Alex I do refer back to this for a good morning reminder....thanks again

annej

Hi Alex,

I have been in a bit of a setback intermittently for the last two weeks and just started to pull out of it yesterday.

Developed symptoms (morning cortisol, anxiety ----->then came the "what if's") and I started to obsess and spiral towards

the depths of despair and then I reread your wonderful and inspiring A Few Guiding Goals Towards Health and I

surmised the following:

I truly believe I could have lessened the severity of my symptoms simply by applying the Guiding Goals to myself

instead of wallowing in the past and worrying about the future. The more I allowed myself to wallow in the past

and to fear the future, the worse I felt. Each symptoms grew and grew because I added fuel - fearful thoughts and

hopeless desperation.

I want to let you know how much you personally inspire me to keep my faith that I will not only survive the situation

that I find myself in, but perhaps, I can live my life to the very best of my ability by practicing the Guiding Goals.

Thank you Alex for your contributions to this forum. You inspire hope and confidence. :) Annej

Barbarannamated

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Lately I have been feeling up and then down often several times a day.

When I get down I now tell myself that this is just the resettling of my mind/body and to remember that it will pass.

When I am able to do that, I find I feel better very quickly and can go on with activities rather than canceling things and feeling worse.

I do find that a schedule/list is very helpful and the above helps me stick to it rather than give into feeling down and then feeling worse.

FM

FM,

I cycle dramatically throughout the day and have noted that it's at very regular regular times. Most of them correlate to natural hormone fluctuations similar to cortisol in the morning. I found this helpful to keep in mind and allows me to manage it a bit better rather than do a psychological inventory of what caused my sudden mood dive (of course, I can find MANY contributors :o and then i focus on and reinforce them).

GREAT list, Alex! #9 is KEY to me and randomness derailed me after I was forced into medical retirement at 39. Of course, I didn't know it was the end of my career, so I was in limbo since 2001, thinking I could return to work.

I have to create something to do every day because I don't HAVE to be anywhere. The next time I HAVE to leave my house is the end of October for a doc appointment.

Yep. I definitely need a plan.

Ditto to Anniej's sentiment. You inspire many people here!

areyouthere

I want to let you know how much you personally inspire me to keep my faith that I will not only survive the situation

that I find myself in, but perhaps, I can live my life to the very best of my ability by practicing the Guiding Goals.

Thank you Alex for your contributions to this forum. You inspire hope and confidence. :) Annej

Ditto here Alex. I always enjoy your perspective on life. You are very grounding. Some of us live in the ( or "a") clouds and then there are those like you who pull us out. Thanks for that. :)