Juju8o8 -- After 2 days on escitalopram

Juju8o8

This forum is so nice and calm thank you very much.

Hi, my name is Julius. juju for short. here's my story short.

I was worrid about floaters and search online and found milk thistle/ dandelion roots as a treatment

Bought it tried it.. and had a slight reaction to it (Tight chest) which traumatized me to a panic attack

I had 2 actually. First one I felt ok after, and second it made me feel a bit worse.

So I decided to try antidepressant & anxiety meds (Escitalopram 5mg) took it for 2 days and stopped abruptly the 3rd day.

for the first day, I had all the common side effects

started August 28 stopped 29 2012

-Insomnia

-electric shocks on hands/palms

-sweatty palms

-anxiety (worsen)

-Tinnitus (Mild)

-Nausea

September 22 and ears still ringing and quite less but at night it's a bothersm

also insomnia, I used to nap alot during the day before taking this med and now.. I can't sleep during afternoon naps >.<

Does it gives me a long term side effect duration even at a 2 day dose?

what worries me is the ringing in the ears.. (Right ear)

Thank you very much for any advice/reply I may receive

• Administrator

Welcome, Juju. I moved your first post here as your Introduction. This is your topic to discuss your individual situation and to track your progress.

Some people are very sensitive to serotonergic medications such as escilatopram. You seem to be one of them. It's probably a good thing you didn't take it any longer.

Yes, the withdrawal effects will go away in time. It may take a while, and you may need to cope with the symptoms.

Here are a couple of supplements that might help:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

See other information about supplements and non-drugs treatments in our Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

What anxiety meds are you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much for moving it sorry if i've caused inconvinience.

Right now I take Nature Made Fish Oil triple Omega 3-6-9 2x a day (Morning and Dinner time)

and taking Nature Made Magnesium 250g Dinner time.

Vitaminc C 1000mg every morning.

Nature Made Multi Complete multivitamine every morning.

I am not taking any anti-anxiety meds right now since I decided not to take any after

I've tried the Escitalopram (Scared of meds now lol) so im keeping myself away from these drugs = )

(Sorry if I made a mistake by saying Antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds, which is i don't know the difference)

I am healthy though I think I am >.< last month I decided to start excercise, bike riding around

(slow riding) the block for atleast 30 minutes everyday, early evening,

hardly get any colds/fevers, I do have allergies to dust and pollen

thank you for your reply!

• Administrator

It sounds like you've made taking care of yourself a priority, which is important in recovering from these drugs.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Altostrata!

Today I decided to drink white tea, which I used to drink everyday in the morning or sometimes in the morning and or an hour after dinner time.

Wow lol... I felt a bit anxious now. I don't understand because I used to drink white tea and I felt normal.

Although this time, I felt anxious but felt calm at the same time since I tried to accept the feeling of anxiety.

I guess I have to drop drinking tea for awhile, maybe my body isn't ready for it yet = ).

During an anxiety attack.. Took a deep breath (Inhale 5/sec hold - Exhale 5/sec hold) technique) and get to know all the symptoms I'm havving

I felt good after that. = )

the only withdrawal symptoms I have so far are

-Tinnitus (Mild) hope it goes away very soon.

-Insomnia (but getting better) I sleep atleast 7-8 hours per night)

I usually sleeps 8-11 hours without waking up before I took those meds

now I sleep 11pm and wake up 5-6am to go wee wee lol then try to go back to sleep,

sometimes I can go back to sleep right after wee wee but sometimes.. it won't work

I used to nap during the day, but right now when I try to, my body jerk when I am

about to fall asleep. Weird though, I hope it gets back to normal soon.

Thank you for your replies as always = )

• Administrator

Your system might be sensitive to caffeine, even the amount in white tea, for a while.

Try to avoid anything that might be stimulating.

Your sleep is following a more or less normal pattern, you might want to turn lights off (and computer) at nightfall and go to bed a little earlier. Our systems are timed to start the sleep cycle when it gets dark.

Thank you Altostrata! :)

Right now I still feel the effects of the caffeine. I felt good getting up but after washed my face. I felt

A little anxious about my BP went up again :rolleyes: before the tea it was normal 120s/80s and now I had 138-145/90.

I guess I am having those "Waves" and before drinking tea is the "Windows" since I was feeling fine.

My tinnitus is the only thing that's keeping me a bit stressed but not to the point I am going panicky over it.

The only thing I am confused about is that, Is it that much of an effect on a two-day dose of 5mg? does it take that long to recover on a 2 dose period?.

• Administrator

Juju, you seem to be a person who is exceptionally sensitive to serotonergics. (If I were you, I would not take any kind of antidepressant, psychedelic, or Ecstasy ever again in my life -- they are all serotonergic.)

People with this exceptional sensitivity may take quite a while to recover. Take care of yourself, your nervous system might be hypersensitive for quite while, months rather than weeks.

Thank you Altostrata & Tezza! = )

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Today I feel good, in the morning. the ears have calm down, quiet down a bit!

I slept earlier like Altostrata have adviced, slept 9:30PM and woken up 4:00AM

and played a little bit of computer games and then went back to sleep (Maybe I was a bit hungry

and that made me woken up) this usually happens lol so right now I felt good!

I tried taking fish oil 1 capsule 3x a day. and i think that did some trick Sep. 25

Though today Sep. 26 I forgot to take the luch time capsule LOL.... >.< maybe I can take 2 tonight? :blink:

Thank you so much for your support.. this is by far the best forum I have ever come across to.

but I am not out of the ropes just yet :D.

THe truth is.. I am very sensitive to everything emotionally lol as a 29yo guy it seems embarrasing.

Maybe that's the reason why I was so depressed through my whole life but right now, I am trying to find

out how to be possitive/stress free without medicine.

My only hope/and wish is that all of us don't have to go through these horrific experiences ever again

Why would we go through such hardship? Though that's life as they always say.

Thank you very much for your replies! :D

• Administrator

Yes, you can definitely take 2 capsules of fish oil at once. Depending on the strength of the fish oil, you may wish to take 2 capsules 3 times a day.

Good to hear you slept better. This will help you heal. Try to keep regular hours, go to sleep at the same time each day.

See these topics

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Thank you Altostrata! = )

Yeah I am having those "Waves" and "Windows" but it only lasts a day or 2.

Sleeping is pretty ok now. 9 PM to 7 AM.

but still can't sleep during the day and I don't try to untill my budy gets back to normal.

Ringing in the ears still there but not as loud as before. = )

Sometimes it's quieter, sometimes it's louder,

hopefully it's not a side effect that is permanent.

Keeping calm is actually helping me out a bit.

Yeah I will never take any of these meds again haha thank you for your advice = )

it's sad that my doctor didn't warn me of any side effects, or i would've not taken it at all

Thank you for your support you guys! = ) it really helps a ton...

Take good care!

hi juju ....i hav exactly the sam.problm as u...took nexito 5mg for 4 days..nd hav all symptoms tht u r having .its been now 1 mnth..i feel recovry but still hav the waves of extrm emotion...so pls tell me..how to deal with it ...need help support

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting for a bit while.

Computer was down and I couldn't get online so I had to wait till I could build a new system.

I am back!

My status:

I'm going through waves right now strong as ever but one thing to keep inmind is not to lose hope.

Make that positive emotions frequent and strong.

I am having trouble sleeping and I don't know the reason.. but I know it's part of the healing process and one of

those *waves*. so hang in there it's my 2nd month.

take care! :)

• Administrator

You may wish to increase your fish oil so you're taking at least 3000mg EPA + DHA per day. Often, depending on the strength of the fish oil, this means 6 or more capsules.

You may wish to increase your fish oil so you're taking at least 3000mg EPA + DHA per day. Often, depending on the strength of the fish oil, this means 6 or more capsules.

I am only taking 3 capsule daily. cuz I am worried I might have a weird reaction to the 6 capsule per day lol.

Yeah, I am taking 3 capsule per day but.. recently I ran out of B-complex from Nature Made,

went buy a new fill but they didn't have the B-complex vitamines that I was taking.

So I gotten the super B-complex from the same brand and I think my brain is shifting a bit lol

that's when I started to feel a bit anxious and loosing sleep. But I won't stop, maybe my body

is just trying to work with the new vitamine/supliment.

Thank you for your reply! = )

• Moderator Emeritus

So I gotten the super B-complex from the same brand and I think my brain is shifting a bit lol

that's when I started to feel a bit anxious and loosing sleep. But I won't stop, maybe my body

is just trying to work with the new vitamine/supliment.

DC the Super-B Vitamins. They are too activating and causing insomnia and anxiety. This is not your body trying to adjust to the change.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

I agree with Schuyler. When your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal, more is not necessarily better when it comes to supplements. The mixed B vitamin supplements tend to cause problems on their own.

Fish oil is the exception for most people. You might try a little more and see how it affects you.

Thanks you guys!

Ok, I will try DCing the Super B-complex. Although I followed your sleep guide, I usually shower at around 2 pm everyday. So I decided to shower around 7pm before bed and wow lol, I can sleep way better but I will try to DC the B-complex to see the result!

You guys are awesome! thanks for your support. = )

and take good cares!

Ok. I tried DCing the Super B-complex and my chest is looser, I can breath pretty good now

I've noticed that my chest seemed to tightened when I was taking B-complex, but I don't really know

if that's the effect of the B complex itself... though I am still taking B-12 and I have no

reaction to it like the B-complex. so should I keep taking B-12?

Thank you in advance!

• Administrator

How much B12 are you taking? Are you over 40? Taking any stomach acid medicines?

After a while, B12 gets stored in your liver, you don't have to take it all the time.

Why don't you wait a few days for your system to settle down from recent changes, and try skipping the B12, to see if it might have contributed to your symptoms.

If skipping it for a few days doesn't cause any changes, you might continue taking it.

Sorry for not giving much details about myself..

I am male, age 29.

Ok i think I might either DC B12. I do feel a bit anxious towards B12

but not as bad as where I were taking B-complex.

Maybe I should DC it or atleast take it every monday?.

I am not taking any acid meds.

I take 1000mg every morning. I've read that it helps the recovery but I don't know

if it goes for everyone so I tried it.

Thanks so much for your advice. it really help me alot!

Take care, and thanks again!

• Administrator

Yes, you could try dc'ing the B12 and see how you feel.

My progress:

It's been good so far, took off from B12 and B-complex was a good choice and advice given to me here = ). Thank you very much!

Although I had to go back to afternoon showers (2:30 PM from 7:30PM) because my migraines came back when I decided to shower at night.

But the sleeping slightly got better, but not all the time. Some nights I sleep good some are not to good. More good nights than bad i've noticed.

The anxiety is there still but not to often as of previously. Sometimes I am anxious for no reason even if I didn't drink anything that's in high sugar or caffine. and sometimes I am feeling happy that I burst into laughter. and then there's these bad days where I feel anxious about migraine auras.

Thank you for this page!.. I'll check back again if any progress have improved!

take care!

• Administrator

Juju, did we talk about magnesium? It might help your migraines.

Also, Epsom salt (magnesium) baths might be relaxing for you.

Search for topics about magnesium in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

Thank you Altostrata! you're so kind!

I don't have a bathtub in my house = ( i wish I had though but.. the magnesuim, I am taking tablets everynight!

Yes it does help alot on my migraines. It almost took me 1 year before I had my next one from my recent migraine and it was last year Dec.

I am taking the Nature Made 250mg every night. I don't really know if I am taking enough or if it's the right dose

Today though, I was tempted to check blood pressure.. and I was really anxious and was a bit high lol.. was like 147790

but after then it went down to 120s and even 118.. is it safe for it to go that high?

I am healthy and hardly drink any sweet, drinks water everyday most of the time. soda is like ones in a great while.

don't smoke, don't drink often or atleast right now.. don't eat fast food like Mcdonalds or any other

What I do lack is excercise but I do ride the bike 3x a week for 30 minutes 6 laps around the block

I'm having good sleep at night but not enough stil. About 7-9 hours of sleep.. still can't nap though.. and I used to nap pretty well before

taking Escitalopram.

I regret taking it though that's the passed.

Is lack of sleep causes high palse race too? Sometimes it's high and I feel a bit tired during the day but I don't wanna take a nap.

Thank you very much!

take care!

• Moderator Emeritus

Is lack of sleep causes high palse race too? Sometimes it's high and I feel a bit tired during the day but I don't wanna take a nap.

Hi juju... I've had a high pulse when seriously short of sleep. It seemed like my body was struggling to stay awake, or in some way compensate and was stressed.. so my heart rate went up. How much or would one way, little sleep are you getting?

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi juju... I've had a high pulse when seriously short of sleep. It seemed like my body was struggling to stay awake, or in some way compensate and was stressed.. so my heart rate went up. How much or would one way, little sleep are you getting?

Before I took this med, I used to sleep well over 10 hours a day and if I dont' feel that tired.. 6-7 hours a day and nap during the day.

Now I couldn't barely reach 8 sometimes and during the day, I feel a bit disoriented and then stressed and a little anxious. Rarely this period of time, one day I had a nice almost perfect sleep and I felt so great like I felt normal again.. but the next day, it went back to hell lol

My doc thought I had a high blood pressure through teen to 20s life.. like 120/70 but that's normal to me and when I went to his office the day I was in panic that's the day he prescibed me blood pressure Metoprolol med and Escitalopram. My bp then was 129/90. I knew there was something up, I was thinking that he prescribed me metoprolol because he knew Escitalopram increases high pulse rate. It's just my theory though.

Here's what suppliments I'm taking

Morning: Breakfast

1-Fish Oil Omega 3-6-9 from Nature Made

2-Multivitamines from Nature Made Complete MV

Afternoon: Lunch

1-Fish Oil 1 Capsule

Night:

1-Vitamin C 500mg

1-Magnesium 250mg

1-Fish Oil

• Administrator

You might take twice as much fish oil.

You really don't need Fish Oil Omega 3-6-9 -- just the omega-3 type.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's what suppliments I'm taking

Morning: Breakfast

1-Fish Oil Omega 3-6-9 from Nature Made

2-Multivitamines from Nature Made Complete MV

Afternoon: Lunch

1-Fish Oil 1 Capsule

Night:

1-Vitamin C 500mg

1-Magnesium 250mg

1-Fish Oil

You don't need Omega 6 or 9 supplements as you get more than you need in your diet already. Go here for more info on Omega 3, to read further go to ConsumerLabs If you cannot get into the Consumer Labs article with the link and would like to read the page, let me know and I'll send a cut and paste to your box here.

• 1 month later...

Ok I am back to report my status.

for weeks now I am having good sleep, about 7-9 hours the most. Anxiety still there but some days isn't.

Lately I am worried about blood pressure, sometimes it goes (152/757114) because I am anxious taking my BP testing since when

my doctor percribe me SSRI, that day tramatized me taking BP meds. I stopped taking BP meds the same day I stopped the Escitalopram I don't wanna take BP meds though. I don't understand because, before taking the SSRI my BP never go higher than 130s if I am anxious.

Even at the doctor's office when I am anxious, it only goes up to 129/80.

I would like to lower BP without meds if it's possible = ).

Thank you for all of your replies! hope you are having a great holiday and a safe one = )

Also, I red some of your support in here and I got to say, through these hardship we/us going through, it gives me tears to my eyes lol.. I am kinda passionate and emotional at times. But you guys have the best site in the entire internet. Thank you for your support as always!

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I red some of your support in here and I got to say, through these hardship we/us going through, it gives me tears to my eyes lol.. I am kinda passionate and emotional at times. But you guys have the best site in the entire internet. Thank you for your support as always!

Thanks for the warm feedback juju, may your holidays be a time of rest and rejuvenation. Posted Image

• Administrator

Juju, thank you so much for letting us know how you're doing.

It sounds like after about 4 months, you are recovering from your bad reaction to escilatopram.

This is such good news!

If you didn't have blood pressure problems before escilatopram, it's part of your adverse reaction and your blood pressure will probably go back to normal over time.

Do you notice this happening after you eat certain foods? It may be a reaction to tyramine, see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/maois/HQ01575

MAOIs are a type of antidepressant that affect monoamines. SSRIs like escilatopram also affect monoamines (serotonin). Many people suffering from withdrawal syndrome become hypersensitive to tyramine as well.

If these foods are causing your blood pressure spikes, you may wish to avoid them for a while and let your nervous system normalize.

Happy holidays!