SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SleeplessSeattle Effexor Xr Withdrawal

SleeplessSeattle

I have being doing great, off Effexor for 2 months after being on it for 7 years. Then boom it just hit me. All out insomnia, cant sleep for more then 0-2 hours a night. This has been going on for 3 weeks. How long does this insomnia last? I cant take it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Sleepless.

Would you tell us please how much Effexor XR you were taking and how fast you went off? It sounds to me like you're in withdrawal, which means you'd do best to back up, take a small dose of Effexor until your nervous system stabilizes, and then taper off very slowly. Our forum Administrator, Altostrata will be able to give you more details on this.

Insomnia is a very common symptom of antidepressant withdrawal. It helped me a lot to keep my bedroom darkened and wear a sleep mask. On very bright days I even wore sunglasses in the house. Antidepressant withdrawal somehow makes our hormones go out of whack and one thing that happens is an elevated level of cortisol which results in extreme light sensitivity.

In any event, you'll find lots of support and good information here as so many of us have been where you now are.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I was originally on 75mg for last year and then tapered slowly down. Went down 37.5 xr to the 25 mg tablets and split and quartered those for the last month.Felt no with drawls while tapering. Felt fine had a few swooshes and felt great. Then boom 2 months off, sleep started getting agitated, fractured. Now I've been in full blown insomnia for 3 weeks, with hot flushes. If I pop a Ambien I can get 4 hours or so, but I hate to do that. I give in about every 4 days to the Ambien. I wondered if I just took some Ambien everynight for 3-4 nights if it would just stop and reset my sleep. I also have been on 1/2 tab 7.5 mg of remeron for sleep for the same amount of time I was on Effexor. I went on it for insomnia bout 8 years ago and nobody every thought of taking me off. I still take the remeron, of course its not helping right now. I am 50 years old and want off this stuff. My doctor has been on vacation the entire time. He return tomorrow. How long could this insomnia last? My daughter is getting married in two weeks. I also have been trying acupunture. But I'm only getting a few hours of sleep every 2-3 days. Also, the insomnia could of been kicked off by blood pressure med, I stopped immediately, but last time I was off effexor I went back on because of the insomnia. That was 2 years ago. Im ready to just cave in and start it again if it means sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to stay on the drug forever, but it might be wise to go back on the 25 mg. dose (or even less) and see if that steadies you. If so, stay on that dose until you've felt stable for several weeks and then taper very, very slowly. Coming off of a strong antidepressant in a month is too fast. I came off of Lexapro 10 mg. over three and a half months and that was too fast for me. I had my last fraction of a pill a little over nine months ago and although my physical symptoms have passed, I'm still having some problems with emotional blunting.

I'm not a doctor and I'm speaking only from my personal experience, but there's no point at all to getting off the drugs in record time. The antidepressants actually change neurotransmitters in the brain and that's what causes withdrawal symptoms when you come off the drug, not the drug still being in your system.

Hold on, and some other folks will likely be along soon with further advice. Meanwhile, if you're up to it, check out the Tapering forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sleepless,

I am also tapering Effexor - fractured sleep was a big part of my withdrawal too and i would start panicking during the day if i would sleep at night - i went back on (several times before i finally realised the right way to get off)

Do you have any other symptoms? Any anxiety, mood swings?

I agree with Jemima - i would reinstate effexor - maybe at 12.5 mg for a couple of weeks and see if that helps - if not you might need to go up a little further. Settle for a month or two and then decrease at 10% every month. You want to be feeling good to enjoy your daughters wedding!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

The first month I was crying all the time, thought it was my hormones, same thing with hot flushes. But all was tolerable until I hit the insomnia, which I'm sure was extra induced because of stress. I probally will go back on the effexor, I hope it helps, but it has been two months. Would it be better to just deal with it? If I for sure go off a lot slower will this not happen again? this is the only anti-depressant I have ever been on, that and the remeron for sleep. Where are the success stories, I'm terrified.

• Administrator

Hello, Sleepless, welcome.

It sounds like you've been on and off Effexor XR, trazodone, and blood pressure meds. Can you explain a little more about that? What blood pressure meds, what dosage, and how long? When did you go off trazodone and the blood pressure meds, and how?

It also sounds like you had milder withdrawal symptoms for a month, but they've consolidated and now are a real problem.

Do you have any Effexor XR tablets left? (Are you sure it was Effexor XR? That usually comes in capsules.) Sometimes if you take a little bit, even 5mg, it can quell the withdrawal symptoms. Then you can stabilize and taper from there (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/ )

This may make your daughter's wedding more enjoyable for you.

Reinstatement might not work; if that happens you can "deal with it." Recovery might take quite a while, it requires a lot of patience. See our Symptoms and Self-Care forum for suggestions on what you can do to help the symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been on remeron low dose 7.5 mg for sleep with effexor xr. Still on Remeron. I did go Effexor Xr off two years ago but went back on. I tapered from 37.5 mg capsules to a 25 mg tablet, then cut tablet in half and in quarters for only about a month or so. 4 weeks had gone by and I was switched blood pressure med to Losarten, my sleep was becoming more fracture then 3 week ago hit out right insomnia, stopped the losarten thinking that caused it, but have not been able to stablize my sleep since. Its real bad, 2 nights no sleep, 1 night a little sleep. When I went off Effexor two years ago something similiar happened but I had started a hormone and we thought that triggered the insomnia but went back on effexor a few clozapam and ambien to smooth out. My doctor has been on vacation this whole time and return tomorrow. My daughter gets married in two weeks, 400 guests, and a household of company and I feel like .....not fun.

• Administrator

If reinstatement doesn't work, you don't have to taper unless it's more than a month later.

Going off or switching blood pressure meds can also incur withdrawal symptoms and insomnia. It sounds like you got hit with a triple whammy.

Does the Remeron help at all?

If you have Effexor XR capsules, you might experiment with taking the beads as reinstatement. For example, you might try taking 10 beads. Tapering is easier, you count the beads.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

You can just swallow them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to jump in, have you been consistently taking your remeron? I am on that, it doesnt work for me anymore and hasnt for a long time but if I

stop it I have extreme insomnia

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

My remeron is a small dose of 7.5 mg, I think I will try one or two more days and if not doing better, I am going to try the swallowing effexor beads. I thought about trying a couple nights of ambien to see if it might break the cycle since I did get some sleep last night. I have also been trying acupunture and she gave me some calming herbs and it might be helping. I know doctors, he will be quick to reinstate the Effexor or start on Wellbutrin, its crazy because I dont even suffer from depression. My mind feels the best it has in years, things just seem clearer. But I have to remember I have been on these drugs for 7-8 years and my brain has not had to adjust to sleep on its own for years.I would just tough all this out, but like I said my daughters wedding is a concern, so I want to be realistic at the same time.

I want to thank everybody for their support as well. Admin you really know your stuff.

• Administrator

Thank you!

Do not under any circumstances take Wellbutrin. Sleep disturbance and anxiety are common side effects.

Watch out for Ambien. Because your system may be hypersensitive from withdrawal, the GABAergics often have paradoxical results, which could make you much worse for quite a while.

Things seem to be calming down. Acupunture has helped alot, I slept the night before on my own for about 4-5 hours. Last nignt I was very calm but could not quite doze off,it would be close then I would jerk or snort, so I did try the Ambien and slept good. My acupunture gave me some herbs called Calm ES and I swear they really work as good as any benzo. Like I said today is the doctor, wow i just dont know what to do, re-instate or tough it out. I have to admit after reading Mr. Anxious thread of insomnia now for 5 months my faith has been a little shaken. I need to remember though that we are all different. I do not have the anxiety and have never suffered from psychological issues. I just wish I new what decision to make. :]

Things seem to be calming down. Acupunture has helped alot, I slept the night before on my own for about 4-5 hours. Last nignt I was very calm but could not quite doze off,it would be close then I would jerk or snort, so I did try the Ambien and slept good. My acupunture gave me some herbs called Calm ES and I swear they really work as good as any benzo. Like I said today is the doctor, wow i just dont know what to do, re-instate or tough it out. I have to admit after reading Mr. Anxious thread of insomnia now for 5 months my faith has been a little shaken. I need to remember though that we are all different. I do not have the anxiety and have never suffered from psychological issues. I just wish I new what decision to make. :]

Hey the only way I fixed my insomnia 50% was too back on the anti depressant sad but true for me. I went on Zoloft cause effexor just was making me feel sicker. I get 4-5 hours now but I know it's cause I am back on the med. That W/d of 5months just killed my spirits cause the insomnia just got worse and worse even after working a exhausting midnight shift id get home and not sleep and have to go back into work, just couldn't do it, my nervous system was frayed.

I would really go back on and stabilize and then taper slow * that's just my opinion only( not a doctor nor psychiatrist) just saying I know how harsh it is when it effects one like it does. just advice , listen to Alto and staff members here !

Hope you feel better soon regardless

Mr A.

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Wow I thought it was just me!! I came off Effexor in June and BAM on August I got hit with horrible insomnia! Doc put me on Remeron and I'm finally sleeping again. He said it was the side effects if Effexor. I didn't understand it because I was great for 2 months! I'm also on clonazepam and plan to taper that after I give my nervous system a break! It's nice to know it wasn't just me!

Remeron is dangerous drug (mixed receptors). 7.5 mg is not small dose, its actually having decent effect and have to taper very slow, preferrably 5-7% range each 3 weeks.

Hi there, I too have battled with insomnia due to withdrawal. You might want to try cutting ALL caffeine out of your diet. Sodas, chocolate, coffee, all of it. I have quit ALL caffeine a month ago and since then, I have slept great every single night with no insomnia at all. Try it, you never know!

I am a 40 year old woman who has been on Effexor XR, Clonopin and Trazodone since 2001, and Abilify since 2010. I have been on Effexor XR 150mg 2x day, Abilify 1 mg daily, Trazodone 200mg daily, and Clonopin .05mg as needed. 8/26-I have started back up on 10.71mg of Effexor XR Capsules because after 1 1/2 weeks my withdrawal symptoms were terrible so I re-instated this small dose to re-start my taper at a much slower rate. 11/13-I am now on 7mgs of Effexor XR NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS AT ALL :)

Is there actually caffeine in chocolate or is that a myth, cos I tend to feel worse after chocolate. Might be the sugar though.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there actually caffeine in chocolate or is that a myth, cos I tend to feel worse after chocolate. Might be the sugar though.

There is caffeine in chocolate and the darker the chocolate.. the more so. NOT recommended before bedtime.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I posted. After being off the Effexor xr for two months, I wrote about how wham I was hit with total insomnia. My daughters wedding was only weeks away in Oct and I was a mess, my doc was on vacation for 3 weeks, things did not get better. Now when my doc returned we restarted the effexor xr, with clonazapam and for the first 5 weeks I was fine, then wham again. My head felt horrible pressure,insomnia, crying, and suicidal, I dropped the effexor from 3 37.5mg to two of the 37.5mg or 75mg, then rduced it by 20 granules for 3 weeks, I should say. My head instantly started feeling better by that evening. My doc upped back to 75 mg on Friday, I have been on the effexor now since Sept 28th, and I feel horrible, tremors etc.. Im using melatonin for sleep which has helped. Im feeling kinda of hopeless right now, my doctor who is top in the his field of 9 years retires in 2 weeks and I start seeing a new doc in this stated of crisis. My doctor feels horrible that I have not been able to re-stabalize, and tells me to be patient. I was doing fine back on it until like I said 5 weeks, wham again. Also my arms have a horrible burning sensation and my head is tingly like pins and needles. Anyone else have this experience. Any ideas what to do. I cant stop cold turkey but I cant live like this either.

• Administrator

Hi, Sleepless.

I moved your latest post here -- this is your updates topic, too.

It seemed you were feeling better when you were on a lower dose. Why did your doctor increase the dosage?

Listen to your body. If you feel better on a lower dose, don't take a higher dose that will make you feel worse.

What your doctor doesn't know is that once your nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal syndrome, you may not respond the same way to the drug. Often, the nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal.

Obviously I clearly am not responding to the effexor as before. He had me go back up to 75mg, cause I still was having insomnia and sweats. Today is 3rd day, on 75mg. I also have .125 clonazapam at night in the mix and the remeron 7.5mg that I have taken at night for years as well.My sleep was a little better. I have not had the sweats but my head feels weird. He wants me to try and stabilize for a few days.He says just wait, Im so emotional, when I was on 3 of the 37.5 mgs, I was so suicidal and that is not me at all. I feel so stuck. If I do a super slow taper, I will have no quality of life. Im running currently at Id say 50-60%, I cant seem to shake the De-personalization feeling. So Hmm, do I try to make a ssri switch? I read that doses of Effexor under 100, the effexor only acts like a ssri, and that the noreperpherine does not come into play until the dose is 110mg or higher. Ive been in the docs every week sometimes twice a week, mind you this guys dont entertain insurance. I'm plugging down 2000 a month, and going to acupuncture as well.I wasn't even put on this stuff for depression. I would sue Pfizer at this point in my life, but currently that's where my bread and butter comes from. (Ironically) Crazy but true. Any thoughts as how to proceed.

SS,

Interesting situation you're in (the ironic, crazy part).

I suspect there are more than a few people in the same boat. It's a surrealization. (not sure that's a word but suspect you relate). We should chat. :o

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Once your nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, you may not respond to drugs the same way.

Switching drugs may not help and may make you worse. Rather than make a switch, it's best to taper from the original drug if you can and switch to Prozac only as a last resort.

Few doctors understand tapering and withdrawal syndrome. It sounds like your doctor is not one of them. You might ask for your money back.

Medicine knows so little about withdrawal, it's an area of vast incompetence. It would be a welcome surprise if your new doctor had a clue.

If I were you, I'd try to stabilize on 75mg Effexor for several weeks, at least.

What drugs and dosages are you taking now?

I am currently on 75mg effexor, .125 clonazapam at night, and 7.5 mg remeron at night(on remeron for years). My current doc does believe in withdrawal syndrome, but he stated that since my symptoms were two months off Effexor and that the symptoms didn't go away when restarting that it cant be withdrawal but a relapse of my original problem, insomnia. I did have the night sweats as well though, but really nothing else. I'm sure the stress of my daughters wedding and the blood pressure med, set everything off. I stopped the blood pressure med Losarten when the insomnia hit. I seem to be feeling slightly better and I can try to hold here to calm everything down, but I'm still having sleep problems. The worst of all is the uncontrollable crying, I'm a stoic women and I have cried for the better of 4 hours today. Lack of sleep last night was horrible, I accidentally forgot to take my Remeron, would that cause no sleep just forgetting it once? I have never in years forgot to take it. I think I was having withdrawal symptoms when I tapered, but didnt recognize the sweating, and fractured sleep as possible withdrawal. I also had some emotional weeks when I first stopped.

When I spoke to the new doctor, see him on Thurday this week, he stated that he totally believes in protracted withdrawal, he has seen patients with symptoms 5 months off of Effexor.I read doctor David Healys paper on this website, identifying withdrawal vs relaspe, he stated that if it a relaspe of existing condition that it will take a while to treat it, vs withdrawal responds quickly. Dr. Healy said are brains are like a spring, some spring back quickly, others slowly and some not at all. The not at all statement concerned me. My doctor acted as if I was one of those patients and would be on Effexor for the rest of my life. I emailed doctor David Healy and asked just what he meant by that and he didnt respond to that question, but he did email me back and said its sounds like you need to come off the Effexor very slow. I came off my 37.5 over about 4-8 weeks, cant remember for sure.

So does it sound like I was having withdrawal or relaspe? I'm really confused on this point. I'm definitely not responding quickly, but my nervous system has been through a lot. Also when I restarted the effexor SEPT 29th at first, I had no negative symptoms, felt fine for the wedding Oct 13, thank goodness, then wham insomnia again a week later, and head started to feel horrible pressure, at that time the Effexor dose was 112.5mg, when I dropped to 75mg, I got some head relief.

I want understand this for sure so when I start with the new doctor, I can come in completely loaded as what I want for my game plan.

thanks, for all your help

• Administrator

Taking your recent history into account, sleeplessness plus weepiness sounds like withdrawal syndrome.

Withdrawal does not always respond to reinstatement. It can't be treated like relapse, it's autonomic destabilization. Other drugs, or dosages that are too high, can make it worse.

Yes, you can get sleeplessness from forgetting to take Remeron.

Cold-turkey off Losarten might play a role in your symptoms, too. Blood pressure meds also need to be tapered.

In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, what you should do is stabilize on all your medications, calm down, and prepare to taper Effexor properly. This can take 6 months or more. Then think about tapering off Remeron. (Did you start having sleep problems after taking Effexor? And blood pressure problems?)

If your new doctor understands withdrawal syndrome and tapering, he might be a candidate for our list. I hope he's a good, understanding doctor.

I was in total insomnia, restarted effexor along with clonazapam, did fine for 3 weeks, wham insomnia again. I am still not sleeping very well at all, if I sleep till 3 thats a good night,and thats getting up once a night before that to go the bathroom, which is making this all that more difficult. I did forget to mention that I am taking 400mg of L-theanine along with .9mg melatonin at night. When I wake up I notice, body tremors or buzzings or something and I cant fall back to sleep.

The remeron, when I came off the effexor and was having total insomnia did nothing even when raising the dose. I origianlly in the past slept fine on effexor, it could be disturbing my sleep this time. I can handle the withdrawal part, but dont know how to get through the insomnia stuff. My only options are to just sit still do nothing about the sleep right now, add trazadone to the mix, or raise the clonazapam every so many weeks. The insomnia is what is doing me in. I know I need fresh air and exercise and its hard because I dont feel great. You mentioned my blood pressure, it is high right now but I cant add anything else in the mix, and I'm sure the effexor has spiked it. Its averaging 140/92 up sometimes higher. I understand how people can just give up. I feel worse after restarting the effexor then I did from the withdrawals of being off. Mornings are the toughest, then evenings get better.

Also I was put on the Effexor nine years ago after a bad reaction to anesthesia, I was not able to sleep. The docs tried everything then I was given Zyprexa, and once I started to sleep they started the effexor as well. Was on the Zyprexa for two years, that was what they figured it would take for my brain to recover form the anesthesia. The Zyprexa was tough to get off of for me as well. I had it compounded and my sleep was still a little rough so then when we piled on Remeron. When I stopped the effexor this time, I would sleep one night and 2 nights no sleep etc.. pattern and I was crying all the time. My doctor tries to convince me that my brain is probably permanent damage and I will always need effexor. I tried getting off Effexor two year ago as well and 4-6 weeks off boom total insomnia again, I reinstated and within 24-48 hours my sleep was fine.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was in total insomnia, restarted effexor along with clonazapam, did fine for 3 weeks, wham insomnia again.

Insomnia recurred because you reached tolerance with the benzo and the sedating effects 'wore off'. People should not be put on anything approximating regular doses of benzos for withdrawal symptoms, especially insomnia as WD induced insomnia will way outlast the clinical effect of the benzo. Sorry you were told to take this route.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin