Narcissus: just another Effexor story

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

I really wish I understood with some kind of reliability what the HELL is going on inside of my brain right now. The uncertainty is so immense that I feel crushed by it. The pain is so bad I could fall on my knees and pray.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you focus long enough to tell us where you are in your tapering off of Effexor? Is there any chance you've miscalculated a dose? If the fish oil seems to bother you, don't take it.

In the meantime, until we can figure out what's going on, you might find this worthwhile reading:

Acceptance

Try not to fight against how awful you feel. That so often makes it worse.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the acceptance bit. It's so hard not to resist when it gets really bad, but you're right, I'm sure it only makes it worst.

I've been at 75 mgs for the past 3 1/2 months trying to stabilize, which doesn't really seem to be happening. I'm wondering if I should start a very slow taper and see how I feel.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Another month and not much in the way of improvement. Feeling very discouraged.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi pgd,

I can relate to these feelings. I reinstated my med but tapered too soon after I felt better for a couple of days. It happened before I found this site. So then, I held for what seemed like forever and didn't seem to be getting any relief.

I'm sure my nervous system was healing during the three months I was holding though. I remember feeling like it was hopeless and thinking I would never get better. I finally decided to make a small cut, I went from .375 down to .35 so it was less than 10%.

I'm in no way suggesting that you make a cut, only you can decide if that's the thing to do but I did feel better a few days after the small taper. I heard someone else say there are good dosages that you sometimes hit on. I'm not sure about that or not. I just want you to know that it will get better and your nervous system has been healing while you were holding.

I really do hope you feel better soon!

Love,

Tezza

Another month and not much in the way of improvement. Feeling very discouraged.

I know the feeling, I've been holding since July! I did feel better after holding for a while, but I messed a few things up (timing/dose/omega-3) and I haven't felt "right" since December. I have had some windows of relief, so I'm gonna keep holding to see if I improve any more. Have you had any windows at all?

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you both for the input. July, whoa! When do you think you might start your next taper?

I am thinking of trying a small reduction soon. I'm hoping it will bring some belief. At the very least it's something to DO, and we all know how important it is to feel like one is DOING something to improve one's condition.

Tezza, I like this idea of there being 'good dosages', I hope it's true in my case.

I suppose I do have windows, though they seem to be getting scarcer which worries me greatly. In the beginning I would have have days of furious flare ups followed by days of relative high energy and good mood. Now the flare-ups are less intense, but the good days seem less and common and less, well, good. Hopefully this is just a phase and not a permanent trend.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

I suppose I do have windows, though they seem to be getting scarcer which worries me greatly. In the beginning I would have have days of furious flare ups followed by days of relative high energy and good mood. Now the flare-ups are less intense, but the good days seem less and common and less, well, good. Hopefully this is just a phase and not a permanent trend.

I think this may be because the emotional ups and downs at the beginning of withdrawal are so extreme that it's difficult to appreciate the more subtle changes that come afterward. And there does seem to be a lengthy period of experiencing neuro-emotions and anhedonia after going through the worst of withdrawal for months.

My last dose of Lexapro was December 14, 2011 and I went through all sorts of ups, downs, windows, and waves up until the end of July 2012. At that point, I was able to will myself out of the house and start having a life again while being mostly emotionally numb.

At this point, the neuro-emotions (for me, baseless feelings of sadness and anxiety) are mostly gone and I'm beginning to have a few really good, normal windows again. I even experienced a spurt of creativity this morning and am hoping the upward trend continues.

I am absolutely astonished at how long this has taken, however. I was on antidepressants only this one time in my life for fifteen months, and it looks like it might take even longer than that to fully recover.

(BTW, it would be really helpful if you could put your drug history in your signature, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Having to read and re-read a member's entire intro topic every time tends to discourage people from offering advice or empathy).

I wish I could tell you how to have patience and faith in your recovery, but it's one of those things that have to be taken a day at a time or even an hour at a time. Someday I expect to look back on this and conclude that anyone who has gone through antidepressant or benzo withdrawal can withstand *anything*.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Jemima, I hope my recovery assumes the same shape that yours has as this latest emptiness is almost intolerable and I really have to believe I'm headed for better places. I did have my drug history in my signature at one point, I wonder what happened to it. I'll put it back in soon.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Thank you both for the input. July, whoa! When do you think you might start your next taper?

I am thinking of trying a small reduction soon. I'm hoping it will bring some belief...

Yes, it's been a long time but bear in mind that I haven't exactly been holding perfectly during that period. I discovered that timing is really important for me, even dosing an hour late can trigger withdrawal symptoms. I also discovered omega-3 is helping to keep me stable. Forgetting it and taking different doses triggered instability in me. Then of course the dose was changing slightly when I switched from weighing to counting beads and back again.

Because it doesn't take too much to knock me off, I haven't really had a period of longer than a week where I've been fully stable. But now I know what can set me off, in hoping I can eventually find stability and stay there for at least a month, then start tapering. When that will be, I have no idea.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Began my taper last night. Dropped 10% of the dose of Effexor that I've been on for the last 4 months, 75 mg.

I woke up feeling very strange. My first thought was ****, I've made a big mistake. As the day progressed, however, my mood lifted and my thinking became clearer than it's been in a very long time. There is a new withdrawal sensation under these improvements - but it's not bad really, more neutral.

I'm intrigued that I should feel such an improvement after dropping my dose, as I was expecting to feel worse. It's possible that this was an unrelated spike of clarity that will quickly evaporate after today. I'll just have to wait and see.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

I spoke too soon. Yesterday and today have been miserable. If tapering is going to be this difficult I fear that I won't be able to handle it. My hope is that I'm still in a sensitized state, and that by postponing it the taper will be less intense when I finally start it.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

Maybe a 5% decrease would be better for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto, I may give that a go.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

pgd's screen name changed at his request.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tired of suffering in isolation I went to see a psychologist today. I woke up today feeling strange and agitated. I considered cancelling my session but ultimately I decided to go. After talking a bit about withdrawal the psychologist asked me to 'tell my story' so to speak. I began and then a very strange thing happened.

I was totally at a loss as to how to 'tell my story'. I've seen several psychologists and I've told my story many times, so this was far from a new exercise. And yet I immediately felt stuck. The past seemed totally remote, irretrievable. I could break through occasionally but then it was impossible to form any kind of sequence of events. The threads simply wouldn't pull together. The psychologist, being a psychologist, noticed me struggling and figured I'd experienced some sort of trauma. It was hard to dissuade her of this, but it was clear to me that this was a cognitive issue. It wasn't that I couldn't tell my story, I couldn't tell any story. I'd somehow lost my ability to form a narrative, ANY narrative.

It was bizarre and extremely distressing. I still feel shaken by the whole thing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, I'm asked to sing at church and a couple of times, I would not be able to remember the words. Not exactly the same but it was very embarrassing in front of a crowd. I was in severe withdrawals when I started going to church again. I had not been for a few years. They all knew something was wrong with me but just didn't know what it was.

I've gotten much better and they have seen that I'm sure. I still haven't made it church news as to what my problem is. I don't plan to either. They could just tell I was VERY depressed.

Loss of words is not a good feeling. I've kinda experienced something similar, only it was while I was singing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes!

Not necessarily to the extent that you have described but definitely find it hard to find words and/or sentences that would normally come easily to me. This has only happened since I've been in withdrawal - I'll be in the middle of explaining something to a client and then I'll just go blank. Or I won't be able to find the right phrase, even though it's come easily to me in the past.

Also I forget the words for really simple items such as 'frypan' or 'washing machine' and end up referring to it as the 'thing'.

The other day I tried to put my hair up using a little accessory that I always use. Well, I was completely at a loss as to how to do it! It was very frightening.

It felt like the onset of mild dementia.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear it isn't just me. Yes, I've also found myself at a loss for words during several occasions. Odd because usually I tend to be overflowing with words. But this was more serious, it wasn't just that I couldn't find words, I couldn't form thoughts! I'm just glad it was a psychologist and not, I don't know, a 'real person'.

This stuff is just too weird, beyond the realm of acceptable experiences if you ask me. We're lab rats, only the researcher is deaf, dumb and blind, and maybe dead.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Do you think you're just in shock from joining the staff and stumbling onto the ladies' thread? Those things can be traumatic. :). Congrats on your new role!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I have experienced severe confusion half a dozen times during the last 8 months (the period since I started wd symptoms). This is what I've noticed about them:

they're always unexpected, and always scary. But they're also always very temporary.

For example, I'll bet that right now you could tell your story. Isn't that true?

I'd also bet such episodes won't happen all that frequently. Hudgens

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you think you're just in shock from joining the staff and stumbling onto the ladies' thread? Those things can be traumatic. :). Congrats on your new role!

Hah! Possibly, and thank you!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all for the encouragement. The effect has lasted more or less all day, just one element of a furious flare-up reminiscent of the beginning stages of my withdrawal. I'm really quite frightened. I've been in bad shape since I exercised too much 8 or 9 days ago, but today everything had a new and very dire edge to it. That bone-splitting tension as I think Alto called it somewhere came back in nearly full force. I thought I was over that stuff, it's scary to see it again. Really hideous stuff, the stuff of nightmares.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

I was just joking...no possibly. And I do hope you feel better soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

And I do hope you feel better soon!

Seconding this.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Narcissus. I just read through your thread for the first time. Nice to meet you. :-)

Just a couple of things I want to say: First, in my experience, there are certain things that seem to increase a person's risk of having bad and prolonged withdrawal from psych drugs, and you have three (of about four total) of them.

First: taking the drugs at a young age while the brain is still developing. Not that it ever stops really, but it seems like it's pretty common for people who take psych meds for a long time (more than a few months) before they reach their mid to late 20s to have more complicated withdrawals.

Second: a history of going up and down and up and down and up and down on dosages--multiple and frequent dosage (and/or medications, but not in this case) changes.

Third: History of past CT or rapid taper.

The reason I'm telling you this is to help you be patient with your healing process. You are very early in the healing process and clearly not yet stable, and I would say that is not at ALL unexpected given your history. Your nervous system is striving to achieve homeostasis while probably also striving to complete developmental processes that were interrupted by the drug use. This is complex and not easy. Please, please, be gentle and patient with yourself. Personally I think it's way too soon to be tapering again, that what would be best for you would be to stay put for at least another six months. Others may disagree, but that's my impression.

Anyway, hi, I've been enjoying your posts. Good luck to you. Be gentle with yourself, be patient! (I know, easy to say, impossible to do when your brain is about as calm and predictable as a wild carnival ride...)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Rhi. I'm struggling at the moment and your post has reassured me on a few fronts, I'm really very grateful. I have enjoyed reading your posts elsewhere, particularly some of your stuff on neuroplasticity.

I agree, I'm definitely not ready to taper, and will likely wait at least another six months like you suggest. God, I really hope things improve soon.

Please, please, be gentle and patient with yourself.

Thanks! I'll try my best.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Hi dear Nar,

I wanted to thank you for coming to my rescue, with your support and encouragement ..

I am saddened to read that you are going through a tough time, I wish that you will feel better soon ..I will say a prayer ..

Keep the faith ..Things are bound to get better ..

Wishing you a serene night .. Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, lexicon. I think everyone here appreciates your warmth and kindness.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Narcissus,

Just dropping by to see how you're doing on your journey - are you still holding at 75mg?

Are you feeling any better?

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Basildev, thanks for checking in. Sorry I haven't been around much recently, I've been preocuppied with trying to find a job.

It's been roughly six months now since I tried to kick Effexor, and I still feel pretty sick most the time. I've been doing consistently badly since I overexerted myself over month ago. I'm taking it easy and about to start a modest diet. The pervasive foggy/drugged feeling remains and is almost constant. I'm really beginning to feel burnt out. It's amazing how long these symptoms go on for. I'm finding it really exhausting trying to reflect on the whole thing, so I'm going to stop here. But in short, I'm not doing too hot. What about you, how are you faring? How have other people felt near the six month mark?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Naricuss,

I'm doing okay. It's been 8 weeks since I updosed to 20 mg and stayed there. Sleep is still erratic and has gotten worse over the last month (before that it was getting better).

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I've updosed and it's taking a long time to feel completely normal, although many of my earlier symptoms have subsided.

You mentioned a while back that you had a really bad wave for about a month and then you came good. Do you think you're in another wave that was somehow kicked off my your over-exertion?

It reminds me of the table metaphor with regard to the brain striving for homeostasis - it sounds like the glue wasn't quite set in your 'table' and you put something a little too heavy (over-exertion) onto the table. Also, don't underestimate how incredibly stressful moving house and job hunting are at the best of times, not to mention when you're CNS is destablilized.

I think the slightest things can set us of when we're in this state. I've had 2 weekends of having people over for dinner and I think this (normally slight) interruption to my routine may have contributed to my sleep deteriorating.

I hope you feel better soon.

good luck with the job hunt:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words.

You're probably right about the overexertion causing a wave. When things are bad it's really hard to see the 'big picture' of withdrawal. It definitely helps to be reminded.

Hope your sleep improves soon.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

I totally get that feeling.

thanks