Narcissus: just another Effexor story

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm in a similar kind of boat to you two, I've been struggling for the past 7 months, it's a bugger isn't it?

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

that it is, Strawb. That it is.

Between the 3 of us we can hopefully provide some useful data to others who might be experiencing a similar thing.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

If it encourages you, I am after a few months seeing improvement in stability, I was having major anxiety/depression/insomnia, I've got to a point now where I have just some residual niggly anxiety around work which leads to sleeplessness, but I've got to a point where I can "woman up" and power on through it, accept it in a way, a few months ago I was totally and utterly floored by it.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

exactly how many months since the last updose did you start to feel much better Strawb?

Narcissus - I'm being mindful of not wanting to hijack your personal thread - hopefully you'll be wanting hear the answer to this question too :lol:

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

It's in my signature, but I started feeling significantly better about 2 weeks after my last up dose on the 4th April so about mid April.

• Moderator Emeritus

Narcissus - I'm being mindful of not wanting to hijack your personal thread - hopefully you'll be wanting hear the answer to this question too

No worries at all, just glad to have people here.

It's good to hear that you're getting a bit more stable Strawberry.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Narcissus, it's been a long old haul and about 3 up doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Narcissus,

I noticed in Strawberry's history that she updosed to higher amounts, felt it didn't work then went down again - similar to you in that you updosed from 75mg to 150 mg and felt it didn't work so you dropped down to 75mg again. (your changes in dosage were much greater though).

Strawberry eventually settled on 2ml which was, not counting all the fluctuations in between, an updose of 1ml.

I'm wondering whether now that your body has had some time to adjust to 75mg that you may be able to updose a little more (not to 150mg though)and this may not be as taxing on your CNS? Maybe your body needs a little more than 75mg at the moment?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the suggestion Basildev.

I do of course think sometimes about going back up to my original dosage. Part of me worries that in doing so I might upset myself and undo months of progress. I'm not sure that progress can be undone in this way, but it's a persistent fear nonetheless. I've become frightened in an almost instinctual way of my drug and of tampering with my dosage.

Also, I guess I'm not convinced that it would help at this point. Strawberry, did you find relief immediately after updosing?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

I know how you feel.

The last time I adjusted my dose I was in a world of pain. So I do think that altering your dose can cause adverse effects.

It's hard to know what to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Narc?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the suggestion Basildev.I do of course think sometimes about going back up to my original dosage. Part of me worries that in doing so I might upset myself and undo months of progress. I'm not sure that progress can be undone in this way, but it's a persistent fear nonetheless. I've become frightened in an almost instinctual way of my drug and of tampering with my dosage.Also, I guess I'm not convinced that it would help at this point. Strawberry, did you find relief immediately after updosing?

In my own personal experience (which I realize is not universal, it's just mine) I've found that changing things, up or down, was seldom as helpful as just staying put and giving my CNS more time to adjust, heal, and settle down.

Again just me, but I do find that my body's ability to heal itself given enough time and support is, so far, always more powerful and helpful than throwing drugs into the soup.

This is coming from someone who was on and off and up and down various drugs for many years. I'm pretty sure that after all that, I used up every last "magic bullet" point I ever had, and my bodybrain just goes haywire when I throw chemical changes at it.

Time is my best friend. It feels like h*** and then some, waiting out the time necessary, but for me anyway, it's a much more sure thing than reaching for another chemical fix. For me, learning to ride out the awful feelings, to reach for support, to use mindfulness and lifestyle changes as much as possible, and to learn to just be patient with the process, has turned out to be way more helpful and powerful in my healing than anything you can find in a pharmacy.

I suspect, from knowing your history, that this might be a good approach for you too. But only you can say, of course.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm beginning to realize that as well, Rhi.

You seem to be among the few of us who have taking a long time (months) to stabilize as opposed to weeks.

That's comforting to hear for those of us who are playing the waiting game on the one dose, going through awful withdrawal and wondering if we'll ever get any better.

It's so hard just to sit tight and do nothing, especially when you're in Narc's situation where he's been holding for such a long time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually these days with my tiny slow taper I usually only hold for a week or so, with periodic longer holds (like now). But when I was first starting out I was way more unstable, due to previous CTs and too-rapid tapers and just too many years on drugs. Now I adapt faster, but  only to extremely small cuts. No way I could cut 10% at once, for example.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your comments Rhi.After more than six months of being very sick I am considering updosing from my 75 mg dose of Effexor.  If anyone has any advice on this matter I'd love to hear it.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you had any windows during that time Narc?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I think so.  Still, I feel pretty bad, and certainly altered most of the time.  If updosing would provide some relief I'd like to do it.  But of course there's no way to be sure that it would help.  Has anyone else tried it several months out and had any success?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

Since you had such a bad time with a higher dose, I'd be very careful about increasing at this point.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Since you had such a bad time with a higher dose, I'd be very careful about increasing at this point.

Thanks for the word of caution Alto.  It's not totally clear to me whether that bad time was the result of the updose or not, since it was just after withdrawal had hit full force.  I think that I need to try it, and if it doesn't help I'll know that there's nothing for me to do but wait.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

A small trial increase might be the ticket.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

how are you doing Narc?

i don't know if my experience can be helpful to you - i reinstated after 5 months with a high dose for 3 days then went down to a small dose... the 6th month was the WORST MONTH for me (i think that is because of the reinstatement with a HIGH dose and probably because my symptoms were going to get worse anyways).. it has been 2 months since i started that low dose and this is my 8 th month since stopping AD, and now i am starting to feel much better... i saw a huge improvement this past week...

i hope you are doing better...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in, Abir.  I'm not doing all that well.Do you think that reinstating has been helpful overall?  How did you feel before you decided to reinstate?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

sorry to hear that...

before reinstatement, my worst symptom was the anxiety - it started at 6 am or earlier, and it lasted until until 3pm, then it started to get better.. the anxiety was really bad that nothing could take my mind off of it -  i was not able to eat, speak, stand up straight... or do anything..

i reinstated because of that - but like said earlier, i reinstated at a high dose (25mg) which, although it got rid of my anxiety right away (took it first night, no anxiety the next morning) but it gave other symptoms: mainly i was not able to sleep at night (from bad hot flashes every 20 minutes, or breathing problems, or heart racing or nightmares as i am falling asleep).. so for the first month after reinstatement, i felt worse than i have ever felt since stopping ADs.. I took that high dose for only 3 days, and 4 days after that my anxiety came back (but it was worse than before, it was all day and night) and i continued to struggle with the other symptoms that started with reinstatement for more than a month and a half...i was not sleeping at night or during the day, and during the day was too sleepy, weak, freezing cold, lightheaded, anxious, weeping..........

so in short, to tell you the truth, i don't know if it is the reinstatement that got me better now (although it made me much worse for a long time first) or it was time for my body to stabilize... who knows... this thing is totally unpredictable...

if it helps, i found that i had to be very gentle with my body, anything would make the anxiety worse: i can't get hungry or eat too much, no caffeine, no chocolate, no sugar, no alcohol, no spicy food, can't exert myself physically or mentally.... etc...

i wish you good luck... i hope you will stabilize soon too... only a week ago, i felt stuck in this withdrawal, felt that things will never get better...felt scared and overwhelmed... what a difference a week can make... i hope things will start changing for the better for you soon..

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your kind words Abir.  

I've decided against updosing for now, the risks are just too great.

Feeling very discouraged as of the last week or so.  I'm amazed at how strong the symptoms still are.  It's very difficult to tell whether I'm improving or not.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling very discouraged as of the last week or so.  I'm amazed at how strong the symptoms still are.  It's very difficult to tell whether I'm improving or not.  

It always seems that way during a wave.  I've been feeling very much in a rut for the past two months, but when I updated my Intro today and began listing areas of improvement, I realized that I had been getting better all along.  I also referenced how I felt at the end of last October when I had to tolerate noisy housepainters for two days--in response to someone's else's post--and the contrast with how I feel today was outright startling.  (That, by the way, was nine months out from my last crumb of Lexapro, and I didn't go through all of the ups, downs, and cold turkeys prior to stopping Lexapro that you have on a much nastier drug.)

If the saying that what goes around comes around is true, you're definitely in line for an upswing.  I greatly appreciate your posts, your ability to keep a cool head, and that you keep providing intelligent, compassionate responses to other members despite your own pain.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

If the saying that what goes around comes around is true, you're definitely in line for an upswing.  I greatly appreciate your posts, your ability to keep a cool head, and that you keep providing intelligent, compassionate responses to other members despite your own pain.

Hear, hear! I ditto muchly!

And I know it's not much help (well let's be honest it's really no help at all)--but reading over your history I think it's completely unsurprising that you're still having some rough bouts. I know it's discouraging, but it's unfortunately pretty normal for a history like that. You're going to get through this (too slowly, but still) and in a year you'll be feeling better, and in two years you'll be feeling  MUCH better. At least, that's the kind of outcome I expect for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you!  This is wonderful to hear.  I manage to contribute every now and then, but truthfully I'm amazed at how you're able to provide cogent and selfless responses to nearly all of the people that stop in here.  You are a bit of a super moderator, an example for us all.  It gives the impression of someone with tireless energy, not someone slogging through withdrawal.  And yet in reality I'm sure you're struggling like the rest of us.  We all appreciate your dedication, truly.

I'm glad you were able to uncover some of the progress you've made earlier.  You're right that the waves often make this realization next to impossible.  I'm amazed (and a bit disturbed) by how helpless and repetitive my thinking and behavior becomes during waves.  While I feel I should know better by now the moment a bad episode starts I re-enter the same desperate amnesic state, which somehow refuses to become familiar (maybe it's the subtle changes in withdrawal that prevents this).  It's as if I'm unable to learn from my experience in the conventional ways, or whatever I do learn becomes unstuck when a jarring flare-up begins.  It's very weird, so unlike 'normal' experiences.

Thanks again for your input.  Today was a huge improvement.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Rhi!  I know it shouldn't be surprising, but it somehow manages to be.  The learning curve is truly steep for this whole withdrawal thing.  I really appreciate your presence here on the board, it alleviates some of the anxiety that tends to hover around here.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you!  This is wonderful to hear.  I manage to contribute every now and then, but truthfully I'm amazed at how you're able to provide cogent and selfless responses to nearly all of the people that stop in here.  You are a bit of a super moderator, an example for us all.  It gives the impression of someone with tireless energy, not someone slogging through withdrawal.  And yet in reality I'm sure you're struggling like the rest of us.  We all appreciate your dedication, truly.

:blush: Aw, shucks.

I actually have several real advantages over the other mods.  One is that I was a psychotherapist for many years, and the other is that I've been off antidepressants since mid-December of 2011.  Although I'm still experiencing withdrawal to a certain extent, it's mostly emotional numbing at this point and I'm not having the ups and downs of someone who's cold-turkey-ed a med or someone who is still tapering off and hitting some nasty bumps along the way.

To be honest, helping others helps me, and that's a powerful motivator to pop in often and do what I can do. (I also have days when a problematic poster pushes me over the top and I just don't wanna sign on at all).

But thank you for all the compliments.  Every little bit of encouragement helps.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I had no idea you were once a psychotherapist.  May I ask why you gave it up?  I've thought about going into counseling/psychotherapy myself.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

I had no idea you were once a psychotherapist.  May I ask why you gave it up?  I've thought about going into counseling/psychotherapy myself.

There were two reasons.  One is that I ended up specializing in addictions, particularly heroin addiction, which involved having to supervise so-called ex-addict counselors and work with them every day.  When funding was cut, my formerly cooperative coworkers turned on me because I was the white lady with a Master's degree who had never been addicted to anything stronger than coffee, so they figured I'd be the last to go unless they could make me look bad, which they tried to do to the best of their sleaziest abilities.  The situation became miserably uncomfortable.  I was also going through a divorce and my husband was the director of research at the same mental health facility so it was an extremely awkward situation.  There were precious few other mental health facilities in the area and they were all interrelated, so I dropped out of the field and tried selling insurance for a while, which was a miserable flop.  Eventually I went back to school and became a CPA.

The second reason is that counseling jobs became less and less available after Federal funding was cut in the early 1980s.  They are just about non-existent now in the Philadelphia area and the few therapists I've met in the past ten years or so work as independent contractors, generally on call  to sub for regular staff.  I wouldn't mind being a therapist again, but opening a private practice is too risky for my taste and there seem to be very few other options.

However, if you've got the cojones to go into private practice or join one, I think you'd be very good at it.  I would go back into the field myself if I came across the right kind of job.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well we're getting the benefit of all your experience here Jemima.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Narcissus for your post, i am feeling better today...

how are you feeling these days? are you seeing any improvement??

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Not doing too well the past few days, but yes, overall things are improving.  Thanks for checking in, glad to hear that you're doing better.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

good that overall, there is improvement.. i hope that continues

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

I accidentally took my daily dose of 75 mgs Effexor twice before going to bed.  Ugh, what a nightmare.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs