Narcissus: just another Effexor story

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

Brought tears to my eyes too, and I can't even cry at the moment.  What a wonderful post, gave me a little ray of hope (again), I'm in a bad way at the moment.  These little windows of being able to feel something good again are so precious and reminders that we are not broken beyond repair, just a matter of time.

I loved what you wrote about the wind tearing through the trees and you feeling awe, I almost felt it too.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Really good to hear from you and encouraging to read. Must be nice to see the clouds opening up slowly and things appearing less grey and black.

Liked the first picture. The 2nd one though?!

Looks like souls being dammed for all time spiralling down to a bottomless void lost to oblivion. Ironic really you have that picture in your toilet :P

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Narcissus,

I haven't seen you online for a few days, are you still seeing improvements from the acupuncture treatments?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Petu.  Last week was wonderful until I had to work.  Almost without fail, working brings out my symptoms or at least closes a window should I happen to be experiencing one.  I bus in a bar, which is not at all stressful but it does require that I move around a bit.  During the days that I work (and for at least a day after) I experience what I've come to call "shredded head", that feeling of being depleted and completely without energy and yet somehow restless.  The "shredded head" returned with a vengeance after I started work on Thursday.  It was particularly hard to bear since I had been feeling so good before that.  

I received my third treatment yesterday, and so far it hasn't seemed to be as powerful as the first two.  The first half of today has been pretty standard withdrawal, although a little bit of last week's clarity is looming up as a I write this.  My acupuncturist seems to do something different every week, so perhaps the sites he worked on this week were not as closely linked with my withdrawal.  I noticed that the needles didn't hurt as much as they had during the previous session.  I may be mistaken but I got the sense last week that the more painful points were the most healing.  

Anyway, I'll continue to check in.  I have faith that the acupuncture is helping, although an anxious and obsessive part of me wonders if last week wasn't some weird blip that will never be recaptured.  It's so difficult not to fret about these things.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

I have faith that the acupuncture is helping...

It probably is, for reasons related to the second theory in my response to your last post on my thread.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 3 weeks later...

How are you doing? I noticed you haven't posted or updated lately.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I hope the reason you are not posting is that you have recovered and are doing well.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I hope the reason you are not posting is that you have recovered and are doing well.

If only!

Yes, how are you?

Doing very badly at the moment, so badly that it's impossible to tell how I'm doing outside of today.  Christ, sometimes I just don't think I can take it.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

I was afraid of that...so sorry! If you're able, tell us how today is and what you're doing now, like supplements, acupuncture, etc. if you're not up to it, know that we have really missed you around here!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

know that we have really missed you around here! 

It really helps to hear that.  Thank you.

tell us how today is and what you're doing now

Today I feel panicked and almost entirely unable to function.  I don't think I can describe it.  These waves are terrible.  They're familiar but somehow always new.

Three weeks ago (reaching back in memory is such a strain) I fell asleep without taking my Effexor.  Then, in the haze of  symptoms that followed, I forgot twice again over the next few weeks.  Over the past year forgetting my meds (or taking them twice) has always been a disaster, kicking up waves that would last weeks.  This time around didn't seem as catastrophic.  I experienced food cravings, low energy and very poor mental functioning, but less of the tension that normally follows a destabilization.  That changed two days ago as I began to feel deeply restless, and today the tension seems to be climaxing.  I know this is probably just a slightly delayed reaction to messing up my meds, but it feels so damned DIRE, impossible to explain away.

I stopped with the acupuncture after my 5th session.  I stopped feeling improvements after the first two sessions, and then I was growing concerned that it was making things worse.  I think I may start up again though.

I haven't taken supplements in many months, maybe I should think about starting on a few.

I was feeling extremely desperate earlier and I emailed a counselor.  It felt like it might help to try to talk through these terrible flare-ups.  Anything to get a little CONTINUITY between them.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

That really stinks. If I was that sensitive to med fluxes, I would be a trembling quiver...no one can do everything right all the time. Great on the counselor, if it is someone good.

This sounds like an autonomic nervous system panic over missing doses. Do you know everything to do for that?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

This sounds like an autonomic nervous system panic over missing doses. Do you know everything to do for that? 

Normally, probably.  Now, no.  Can you help? 

Thank you meime, it's great to have someone here.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Received this encouraging response from the counselor:

Thank you for your message. 

It is (as you know) not uncommon for people who stop SNRI's (like Effexor) or SSRI's to experience withdrawal symptoms briefly and it sounds like you do not need me to tell you that there is not a lot of good data on treating those symptoms in cases of much longer periods of more severe symptoms. 

I have worked with several clients who have really struggled with lengthier symptoms of withdrawal, and while I obviously cannot know exactly what your experience has been like I can tell you that my approach tends to be one of working through the stigma associated with other people not understanding the symptoms (or even questioning their existence), how to be an advocate for yourself when navigating communication with medical providers, and grieving the loss of sense of control that can occur (sometimes for some people that can be seen in the form of self-criticism for having chosen medication management in the first place, or anger at others who were involved in the decision). Another component of therapy for withdrawal symptoms involves increasing coping skills for living with the actual physical symptoms.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

The counselor's response sounds promising, it touches on a few relevant issues, do you think you may go ahead with counseling?

Thank you for posting again, I've also missed you here, hoping things had improved, but concerned they had not.  It could just be my imagination, but it seems more of us just lately have been having increased symptoms, or greater difficulty in handling them.

Today I feel panicked and almost entirely unable to function.  I don't think I can describe it.  These waves are terrible.  They're familiar but somehow always new.

This was me yesterday, had one of the worst days ever, whatever it was, it started to subside around the middle of the afternoon, but I was completely shattered.  I had woken up at 4am and been unable to go back to sleep and I'm not on any medication, so my waves have nothing to do with missed doses.  I know this doesn't help you, but you are not alone in going through this confusing, frightening process, looking for some sense of control and understanding, where there seems to be none.

Its morning here, I'm in a bad way as usual when I first wake up, don't usually post here until later, but...... hang in there, we are here for you.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Wow! That is not something you find everyday! OK, ideas about ANS problems, which is mostly a battle with cortisol.

Gentle walks, in nature as much as possible

Go to bed and get up at same time every day (easy at my age, probably not so much for you), regardless of how much you slept (this is turning out to be really important for me now that I'm off my AD)

Sleep in the DARK. I just bought an expensive, but wonderful Tempurpedic sleep mask on Amazon

Magnesium supplements, I think you found fish oil too activating, but could eat fish

Epsom salts baths if needed

Avoid sugar and white flour as much as possible. Eat whole foods, especially vegetables.

Maybe have your vitamin D blood level checked?

When I am wigging out, as they say in TN, I lay on the floor (it feels more solid) with a pillow and just try to go inside until all I focus on is breathing...in, out, in, out. And when I calm down, to ask myself, what do I need now?

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Petu, thank you very much for taking the time to describe your experiences the other day.  It comes as a revelation every time I realize that I'm not alone and that others are out there having similar experiences.  The realization never seems to sick, and whatever's left of it is always blasted away completely when a wave hits.  I hope you've restabilized some since that early wake up threw you off.

And thank you meime for your list of nervous system calming activities.   I may try your floor exercise, although I'm a little wary...when I'm having a wave I find that the last thing I want to do is focus on what's happening inside me.  Generally I try to distract myself as much as possible until the symptoms subside.  Maybe this isn't a good strategy.

I'm deeply touched (to an extent that troubles me a little) that I'm thought of by others here.  I've felt so profoundly selfish since I've become sick, I'm amazed that you guys are able to keep others in mind when you yourselves are suffering.  

Thank you both, I hope you're in good health and spirits tonight.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus
 I may try your floor exercise, although I'm a little wary...when I'm having a wave I find that the last thing I want to do is focus on what's happening inside me.  Generally I try to distract myself as much as possible until the symptoms subside.  Maybe this isn't a good strategy.

I've struggled with this, not knowing whether to face the symptoms or distract from them.  I've actually written about it in my thread somewhere.  Someone gave me the advice of 'do whatever works'.

Problem was, different things work at different times and sometimes, nothing works at all.  When nothing works, I've come to the conclusion that whatever is going on, is something I 'need' to feel and face (for my own good), like as if it's something I need to 'process' and release from my body.

Actually, at times like that, I do what Meime does, but on my bed, not the floor. 

I guess a lot of it depends on what the symptom is.  Two things I have found to sometimes be helpful for reducing a build up of inner pressure (energy, vibration, tension) is walking around outside barefoot or taking a shower, I'm not sure I believe this, but I've read that it somehow grounds energy.

As long as I'm not having cognitive problems, or feeling too emotionally drained, I find helping here on the forum is a good distraction from my own symptoms.

I don't think its selfish (in a bad way), to focus on yourself when you are sick and suffering.  There is limited energy in a sick body, sometimes that body needs to use everything it has for its own survival.

My latest wave is on its way out, but as usual, the physical stuff subsides, but then I'm left with an aftermath of emotional shock/trauma to deal with.

I hope you are feeling better now.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Narcissus, pull up that feature where you can see all your posts. You have shown great kindness and empathy. No wonder you have been missed.

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

I read through some of your last posts since November.

It's so nice people reached out to you. (I didn't 'know' you back then ;)

Not much can be said, sometimes we just have to be, and be, and be... and most the others can do is be with us.

I just want to highlight what Petu so beautifully said: I don't think its selfish (in a bad way), to focus on yourself when you are sick and suffering.  There is limited energy in a sick body, sometimes that body needs to use everything it has for its own survival.

My colleague's husband, a former shrink who denounced his profession and medicine in general and is over 80 told us the same thing about coping startegies when not feeling well. I think he mentioned cats do that when they are not well: they just curl up to preserve all the energy they have and focus it on healing. So these reflex is very natural.

But with our condition the trick is to know when to uncurl and push ourselves a bit into activity, reaching out towards other people, etc. I alternate these things: ok, today I will be as inactive as I need to be. But a day or two after these states I just tell myself: ok, today we are going up the hill, or meeting a friend (sorry if you don't really like it but that's what we are doing and you will rest tomorrow).

I go to work every day and have a pretty demanding job...some days I take what I call 'sick leave at work'.. 

Not much help but just wanted to let you know we are here for you / each others ;)

And we are here to remind you of the whole of you when neuro emotions erase certain parts of your identity...

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Please, Narcissus, by all means take care of yourself. We miss you but we want you to heal, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree Narcissus, take care of yourself. Let it be, curl up and ride the wave, it has to abate eventually.

I think that waves always seem to be the worst ever for most of us and it is so easy to forget the 

windows. I hope your wave is over soon, it's been a long one and must be on it's way out now. 

Squishy Mamma hug on it's way to San Francisco. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you. You are much loved here, I think. I wish I could help you. All I can say is that I have seen you better in the past, and I know better days will come again in the future, no matter how impossible it is right now to imagine or feel that.  When you can't hold on to knowing that, we'll hold on to it for you. Hang in there.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, that counselor sounds like a winner!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

just a random thought narcissus, doesnt effexor only act on norepinephrine at does's 150mg and above? since you took 150mg for a while, would this be the reason its been harder for you to stabilze? if alto or anyone knowledgeable about this could chime in and be more help thatd be nice, im still learning these things

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor
c/t effexor early oct, prozac for 10mg 7-8 days, off all meds until reinstating effexor 37.5mg nov 12th

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

lespaul, I've heard that, it's certainly possible.  On the other hand, I found I wasn't able to go back up to 150.  

Anyway, I've had a nice big window open up over the last week.  I've started exercising and it seems to be clearing up some of my symptoms.  I've often struggled with exercise during withdrawal, but I've been doing about 15 to 20 minutes a day on the treadmill and I seem to be handling it fine so far.  More than just handling it, I seem to be having improvements across the board.  Let's hope this continues.

How are my people here?  Are things looking up?  Down?  Sideways?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

That's very encouraging news :)

Did you start using the treadmill before you started to feel better?  What kind of intensity exercise are you doing on the treadmill - running, jogging, uphill walking?  I'm asking because I'm still at the stage where if I do anything which gets my heart rate up  much, I end up feeling awful, so I don't do it.

And I'm wondering if you felt the same way at first, but kept going anyway.

Hoping your window stays open.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

This is absolutely wonderful news Nar :wub:

w0w .. Such a blessing .. About time heaven smiled down on you .. :)

Wishing you additional blessings, for beautiful, breezy windows every day :) If you feel generous Nar, please send a much needed window, my way .. I will be grateful ..

Thinking of you, and holding you in prayer ..

Love, Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

So good to hear, Nar.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Bad news!

A feeling of awful mental/physical tension mounting over the past few days, seems to be reaching a climax this afternoon.  I am restless, crazed, NOT having a good time.  I received an acupuncture treatment from a new acupuncturist on Thursday, I'm wondering if it stirred some things up.  During the treatment the lady stuck two needles in my neck, which was the first time that had been done to me.  The first needle was fine, but the second needle almost immediately produced a very strange kind of straining feeling in my head.  I immediately complained about it and she took it out and put it back in, I guess slightly differently this time.  Either it went away or I got used to it, but this is the first time I've had an immediate reaction like that to a needle.  Anyway, Friday I felt restless, Saturday was worst, and today is almost unbearable.  Very strange to have this after feeling so clear and healthy.  I'm hoping that it's the acupuncture and not the exercise.  Either way, I'll be taking it easy for the next few days.  

As bad and crazy as I feel, it's not quite like it was in the earlier days of withdrawal - no craving for food, less flu like symptoms, less exhaustion.

Petu, I was running for 16 minutes at 5.5 miles per hour - burning about 200 calories.  Before that though, I eased into things by riding my bike around a bit.  Do you have a bike?  It can be good gentle exercise, or more vigorous when you want it to be.

Anyway, could use some love during this crazy spell.  Glad to have somewhere to ride out the storm.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about the bad spell, but it's great you're doing well enough to check back in, I was wondering how you were doing.

Remember that bad spells don't always have to be figured out. Sometimes they just happen no matter what you do. It does sound in this case like it might be associated with the acupuncture; but maybe it would have happened regardless. Just keep doing the things that you know help you. It sounds like the good times are getting better, and that's a good sign.

Hi Nar,

Glad to see you checked in but sad to hear it's not such good news. Perhaps leave off the acupuncture for a bit? At least until things settle down for you. Sending you all the loving thoughts you want!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Rhi.  You may be right, it may just be a necessary convulsion on my way to recovery.  It's so hard not to fly into "Why is this happening?!" mode when the terror starts.  I guess I'm just amazed at how powerful this eruption is, and how out of the blue it feels.  I'll do my best to accept it, and become one with it so to speak.  

Thank you Cymbalta, I'll do my best to be receptive to those loving thoughts. I'll definitely be leaving off the acupuncture for a while.  

I hope you guys are well, hearing from you makes things a little easier to bear.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Narcissus,

these things are so strange: I read your post about a nice window and didn't have the time to write about how great it was when this bed spell happened.

However, I still think that that window is a more powerful sign that things are coming together. I had a very bad reaction to meditation and breathing exercises (because I later realized it was a too aggressive kriya). We are just so susceptible to everything in this state.

But having this forum is priceless and I wish I could at least through my words send you some nice energy to bring you some relief.

hugs,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thank you bubble.

Things are still going poorly.  I went back to the acupuncturist a week ago, hoping she might be able to help with whatever happened after the other visit.  Not much happened as a result.  Today I had a terrible attack, head aches and incredible inner tension, I drove off to a remote part of a local park and staggered around sobbing.  These things are so, so strange.  I really don't know what to think about the exercise, sometimes I think it helps, sometimes I think it hurts.  I'm hoping this is all from the acupuncture.  Even so, I think I'm going to cut out the exercise until things settle down.  

This cannot believe we have to go through this, and that it lasts for so long.  

Does anyone have any encouraging words?  I'm in a very fearful place.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

First, good news that you have the emotional openness to fall in love.

Second, it sounds like that acupuncturist just doesn't get what it is you need. Try another?

Please hang in there, Narcissus. We cherish you here.