SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nova: How long to heal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Nova, I moved your post here and attached it to your Intro thread since the post is basically a report on your progress. Glad to hear that you are doing well getting off Effexor.

No one really knows how long it will take an individual to get better, and as for scientific research on healing the brain, there's little to none, although Alto may have some references.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I think in general I tend to rush off everything! It's bad. So I'm going to wait to taper off the clonazepam for a few mo tha and then go real sloooooww. To avoid any bad withdrawal. The thing is I only felt bad withdrawal from Effezor for about a month hen I felt fine. Is it weird that 2 months later anxiety/insomnia pops up??

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not personally familiar with Effexor, but having a too fast taper come back and bite one on the bum some months later seems to be fairly common.

I'm glad that you're going to wait to taper the clonazepam. You may have gotten lucky with the Effexor, but I don't think luck happens with the benzos. We have some folks here who are quite familiar with how difficult tapering can be and I'm sure they'd advise a teeny-tiny taper over a long period of time. When you're ready, you might want to check the members-only benzo forum:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I think in general I tend to rush off everything! It's bad. So I'm going to wait to taper off the clonazepam for a few mo tha and then go real sloooooww. To avoid any bad withdrawal. The thing is I only felt bad withdrawal from Effezor for about a month hen I felt fine. Is it weird that 2 months later anxiety/insomnia pops up??

It seems like a lot of people are fine until the two or three month mark and then get hit with new insomnia and anxiety. That is exactly what happened to me. I wish I understood the cause. I am still suffering from this almost two years later. Not to scare you... everyone is different and I was on Zoloft, not Effexor. And I've gotten better, albeit with setbacks. Are you still going through this?

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I'm sleeping well with the clonazepam and Remeron but have only been on it for 2 weeks. My anxiety gets real high about an hour before bed so I know subconsciously there is still fear present. Once that subsides ill slowly come off the clonazepam.

It does leave me wondering. Will it be better if I go back on Effexor? But I know that's not the answer. I feel great during the day. My anxiety is manageable due to therapy. It's just the nighttime thing. That's a deep fear from months of dealing with no sleep.

I'm glad to hear the remeron helps!

Good luck with the baby, too!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Nova is feeling much better and has asked that her account be inactivated so she can focus on her pregnancy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.