☼ Phil's Lexapro withdrawal

• Administrator

Yes, I would be concerned about the sugar or the acid in the juice causing the chemicals to deteriorate.

Suggestion: Talk with a pharmacist about diluting the Lexapro and its stability in juice or water. It may keep stable better in water. Flavor may not be great, but hey, it's only a mL, down the hatch fast.

(You might Google for "escitalopram solubility" and come up with resources that pharmacists refer to, which include the stability information.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil

• Altostrata

• Punarbhava

• Barbarannamated

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Phil,

As you can see from my sig, I'm a long time AD user. And I have been tapering very slowly for a number of years. Everybody's experience is different, but I have found that I feel better, more alive, more able to take care of myself as I taper. That said, I am just resuming my glacial pace after a 10 month hiatus. If you have reason to believe that your life would be better without the Lexapro, you can do it.

In my experience, it is possible taper slowly enough to keep the WD effects tolerable- and to enjoy life more along the way than when on higher doses. It's a scary decision to make, but the big thing to remember is that it is completely within your control. IMO, the smaller the reduction, the safer and easier your taper will be.

You can always stop tapering. IMO, the key is to experiment a little to find the amount and time between drops that works. Then be ready to adjust your formula based on your body's reaction.

Just my 2 cents.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Sorry I missed your post Alto.

Yeah, I take the liquid with a syringe. But I was doing it wrong for such a long time, I was making the mixture with 5mg Lexapro and 5ml juice, then removing and throwing away what I didnt need. I should have just removed the amount I did need...no wonder Ive found it hard to keep a stable dosage.

Phil, have you tried the teaspoon method? I disolved my capsule in one measuring cup of water...........stirred and stirred, until completely dissolved and then measured out the number of teaspoons I needed to consume and placed in a little cup. I would then add juice to the measured out dose to mask the taste.

When disolving in plain water, I was able to see if the powder/pill was completely disolved, not to mention, water doesn't corrupt the integrity of the properties of the drug as juice can. I also stirred the mixture well before measnuring out each teaspoon, since, as you mentioned, drug particles can quickly settle to the bottom of the container/glass.

I never saved any of the mixtures, since, like you, I feared that the potency and integrity of the mixture would be compromised. Thus, I used a fresh pill each day.

I believe the teaspoon method is available on some benzo boards. As you get down to teeny dose reductions you can double the amount of liquid to 2 cups or 3 cups (mix the pill) and measure out what you need.

I won't explain anymore ATM since, I'm not sure if this method will appeal to you.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phil, I can relate to your post, many times over the years I have suffered dreadful withdrawals, since 2008 I have been tapering excrutiatingly slowly from liquid prozac, so slow that it totally mitigates any withdrawals and I feel confident enough to take the teeny tiny reductions knowing that if it gets bad I can easily just step up to the previous dose and stabilize, but so far I haven't had to do that because I am going so slow it hasn't been an issue, can you get Lexapro in liquid form and do that??

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thankyou for the replies everyone.

I have decided to go more slowly with my taper as suggested by you guys. I think I was so desperate to get off fast (like Razzle said, basing my decision on willpower rather than reality) that I was trying to rush it.

My goal now is to take however long it takes to come off as slowly as possible, whilst learning ways to care for myself and manage my problems.

I really do need to get in touch with my "spirit"..I feel I lost that during being on Lexapro and tapering.

Hopefully, I will make it through this without being totally crushed, by tapering slow.

Thankyou so much for your advice everyone, it has really helped me.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

Phil, I've updated the Lexapro topic with more information about dilution with water.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sending you good energy for your taper, Phil! You can do it! :)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Thanks for the tip Punar. I think I will use water from now on as like you say it's easier to see if it's dissolved properly.

What I do now is measure out 5ml liquid, and crush my 5mg tablet and mix it into the liquid. Then remove how much I need to take (currently 0.8ml).

Im not sure about using double the amount of liquid or how that would work. My mind is quite resistant to changing how I do it, haha, I guess because I have made so many changes during tapering that it becomes frustrating.

I guess I should look into this method though.

Alto - I'll certainly ask my pharamcist about it soon.

• Administrator

Phil, I added more info to post #1 of the Lexapro topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/.

If you're comfortable with your 5mg:5mL dilution, by all means, stay with it. I know how confusing it can be, making the calculations and measuring out with the oral syringe.

I think Pun has a very good point, you'll be able to see better whether your tablet is dissolved in water, and this will enable you to make more precise decreases.

Thanks for the tip Punar. I think I will use water from now on as like you say it's easier to see if it's dissolved properly.

Hi Phil.....

please forgive me for posting again. I don't intend to be a pest of any kind but rather, very much wish for things go well for you.

If you don't mind me adding another point (that I just thought of).....You know how particles of the pill can settle in the bottom of the container when mixing up your batch.......well, I believe that particles of the drug can cling to the inside of the syringe as well. Thus, I recommend that you 1/2 or 3/4 fill the syringe with water or juice and shake it and then drink that as well. In other words, rinse out the syringe and then drink that batch as well.

I may sound paranoid but I had to be extremely cautious since, my sensitivities to even the minutest changes were profound. Anyway, you can decide what is best for you. Just thought I'd share what I done. I actually measured out my drinking portion into a small glass, added juice, stirred thoroughly, then drank. Then I would add more juice, swish it in the same glass to ensure that any remaining particles that may have clung to the glass got washed off and into the new batch of juice, I drank this as well.

Please forgive me poor wording but my cog fog is quite severe today but wanted to pass this along before I forgot.

What I do now is measure out 5ml liquid, and crush my 5mg tablet and mix it into the liquid. Then remove how much I need to take (currently 0.8ml).

Im not sure about using double the amount of liquid or how that would work. My mind is quite resistant to changing how I do it, haha, I guess because I have made so many changes during tapering that it becomes frustrating.

I guess I should look into this method though.

Oh, believe me I completely understand how one needs to stick to the easiest and most familiar...the method that one is most comfortable with.

My mention of doubling the amount of water is a method used to dilute the potency so one can measure out in larger quantities.......making it easier to measure out small dosages. However, I will admit that there is much mathematical calculation involved but only initially.

In any case, you can decide. As Alto mentioned, you may wish to stick to your current method and IF measuring your dose becomes a problem you can then consider the method I've mentioned.

Wishing your the best with all this Phil!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Thanks for the update, Alto. Yeah it certainly does get confusing measuring stuff out (especially with brainfog etc), the whole process is a chore to me now.

Punar - I get you, it sounds like you were very similar to me in worrying about making sure you get all the particles. After drinking my mixture I will add extra water or juice several times and drink it, to make sure I get it all.

I never thought of doing it with the syringe too - I'll be sure to do that now. Thankyou for describing how you did it, it helps me feel less alone actually because I thought maybe I was a little too paranoid myself haha.

Thankyou both for your help :)

Hi Phil,

Im right there with you, and understand the worry surropunding letting go of the last little bit of tyhe drug, i did it too, and like you, id previously done a ct some yrs ago, actioned by my doctor, so i too knew what i MAY be up against, but im here to tell you, it was nothing like the ct at all, and yours wont be either.

If your goal is to lead a drug free life then you decide, go as slowly as you need to go to get off and dont add fear to that by fearing the what ifs or what may bes, as they are unlikely to happen.

Good Luck with the rest of your taper and all the best.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.

I'm still at 0.8mg. I'm not feeling great though - depressed, sleep is bad, finding it hard to get out and do things, ruminating a lot, feeling like no one cares, I haven't seen my friend much and feel like he's giving up on supporting me now.

I dunno what is withdrawal and what is me.

I went for a walk today and it felt like such a chore, it was too hot, I felt depressed and miserable, and tired.

My breathing doesnt feel too great when I walk...I feel like I have to almost "manually" take deep breaths.

So, that's my update, a shopping list of my misery lol.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah, Phil - hang in, you are very close to the end. It seems to me that at the very end of the taper, folks tend to feel kind of lousy, but the end is in sight so hang in.

Good for you for taking a walk.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed your post Baxter, but thanks for commenting :)

An update:

I have been up and down, partly because I still cant seem to keep my dosage of Lexapro fully stable. I accidentally take too much at times. (probably not by much though).

In a way I am glad for my accidental updoses as they provided some relief and learning new ways to deal with withdrawal in the meantime.

I think I will carry on this way, and keep reducing with the hope that even occasional slight increases, will mean that my brain is slowly acclimatizing to the generally lower dosages.

I'm due to see a psychotherapist soon and very nervous, as I don't want to get too confused while withdrawing. It might help me, or hinder me. I have past traumas (which led me to meds in the first place) to work on, but not sure if now is the right time. If need be I may stay on the smallest possible dosage of Lexapro while getting therapy, and if therapy doesnt help, I will learn to cope on my own (and of course with the support on here :) )

• Administrator

Phil, how long have you been on .8mg? Perhaps you should stay there for a bit.

Oops, sorry I missed your post Alto. I must not be subscribed for updates on this thread.

As of Saturday, I switched to taking my Lexapro in the morning (usually I take it in the late evening), and decided to go to 0.75mg. I've had trouble sleeping, and dizziness and whatnot since then.

I maybe should have stayed at 0.8mg, infact if I can't cope I will go back to that.

• Administrator

Right, given Lexapro's half-life, that was an extra-large change for your body. It may settle and be the solution for too much activation at night.

Hello Phil,

I just wanted to see how you are doing? Each day seems to bring unexpected extremes!!

I hope you get some relief!!

I started my therapy to deal with trauma couple months ago, dealing with issues but still struggle. I find myself questioning sanity wondering extreme trauma flipped a switch and I am messed up, I have to keep telling myself it's withdrawals messing with me. I think therapy has been the best decision I made making a difference for me and writing even if I end up throwing it away. I have so many thoughts I need a release it use to relax me and has brought me brief moments of peace.

I agree with you if therapy doesn't help then learn to cope on own with support especially after this!!

Good luck and I hope you have a peaceful night!! Tomorrow is a new day, hopefully a better one!!

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

Right, given Lexapro's half-life, that was an extra-large change for your body. It may settle and be the solution for too much activation at night.

I agree, I managed to get some sleep last night so I think my body is settling a bit now.

Hello Phil,

I just wanted to see how you are doing? Each day seems to bring unexpected extremes!!

I hope you get some relief!!

I started my therapy to deal with trauma couple months ago, dealing with issues but still struggle. I find myself questioning sanity wondering extreme trauma flipped a switch and I am messed up, I have to keep telling myself it's withdrawals messing with me. I think therapy has been the best decision I made making a difference for me and writing even if I end up throwing it away. I have so many thoughts I need a release it use to relax me and has brought me brief moments of peace.

I agree with you if therapy doesn't help then learn to cope on own with support especially after this!!

Good luck and I hope you have a peaceful night!! Tomorrow is a new day, hopefully a better one!!

Hi Kathy, thankyou, I can relate, a lot. I've been up and down, seems to be a constant thing through this withdrawal.

I think the withdrawal itself causes trauma and makes other traumas seem worse. I question my sanity at times also.

I write a lot too, it does help to make sense of things. (I have tons of wordpads on my laptop).

Here's to hoping we heal and feel better soon!

Hi Phil,

How are you doing today? Good I hope!!

Yeah, this is a trauma in itself! I had therapy yesterday, I probably did seem like a mad woman. He thinks since I have not fully addressed the trauma of abuse and how I feel about myself as well, it is surfacing adding to the withdrawals. I told him I'm not thinking about it, in fact, I refuse to, having enough to deal with.

Our brain is very powerful it can block out stuff to protect us, create personalities, and no telling what else. Is my brain working overtime trying to repair itself and going through so much. Blocking memories doesn't mean you can block emotions, Does it?

Maybe I'm just over thinking things!

Still learning how to do all of this, just learned yesterday how to reply to post.

I really hope you get a lot out of therapy!! At least, there you know they are there to listen not write scripts.

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kathy, sorry I didnt reply sooner. I hope you're doing well.

At the moment I am again in a state where I have accidentally taken a little too much Lexapro. This seems to keep happening. It's so hard to get it accurate everyday.It's probably not a lot, maybe a few grains extra, but I can feel the difference.

I just hope this isnt going to damage my brain or anything like that.

• Administrator

Phil, did we hash out getting Lexapro compounded into a liquid at the pharmacy?

No..as far as I know, that's not common prcatise in the UK, although I guess it would be worth me asking them.

I get the feeling they would treat me like a crazy, it's hard enough getting them to believe I'm on such a tiny dose as it is. My doctor doesnt think it's neccesary.

• Administrator

Well, you have to be your own advocate in this stuff. Give them the fish-eye for their opinions.

Suffering horrible depersonalization today.

Does anyone know if accupuncture might help?

I've had sleep problems too, its like I fall into a dream state, then wake, then fall into a dream state again, then wake a bit later. This pattern went on all through the night.

I'm sure the heat hasnt been helping, its really hot at the moment.

• Administrator

I always have trouble when it's hot.

I've found acupuncture to be helpful for a lot of things. Perhaps the sense of depersonalization is from the lack of sleep?

Suffering horrible depersonalization today.

Does anyone know if accupuncture might help?

I've had sleep problems too, its like I fall into a dream state, then wake, then fall into a dream state again, then wake a bit later. This pattern went on all through the night.

I'm sure the heat hasnt been helping, its really hot at the moment.

Hi Phil.....

you know, I've thought of you so many times lately and have been wondering how you were doing and thought I'd pop into your thread to leave a message before I make dinner but see you have just posted.

I'm so sorry to hear of your discomforts. Believe me I've been where you are at present. Those nights that you describe are pretty horrible aren't they? And yes, the hot weather can put extra stress on our CNS. I know it sure did a number on mine.

I so wish to see you free of this suffering. How is the tapering going? BTW, no need to respond Phil if it feels like a pressure. Truly, I understand how one can feel too depleted to even respond to one question.

If there's anything I can do to help just let me know. I wish I had an answer for your question re: acupunture and depersonalization. I have no idea if it will help but do follow Alto's suggestion, as mentioned in another thread, re: make sure you inform the practitioner NOT to stimulate your CNS.

Alto can correctly rephrase if I haven't worded things properly due to my current degree of cog. impairment. (lol)

Anyway, thinking of you and hope you obtain some relief soon!

Much More Healing to You Phil! One day you will be free from all this!

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

Perhaps the sense of depersonalization is from the lack of sleep?

Could be, I always feel way worse when I've had no sleep. And the heat is just soo frustrating.

Hey Punar, aww thanks for thinking of me, I really appreciate it :) I'd missed seeing your posts on the forum lately actually.

I did suspect the heat might not have been helping, as I've had bad spells before but this latest one seems even worse than usual.

I had my friend over earlier, and because of the depersonalization I felt exhausted and wanted to be left alone. Found it hard to ask him to leave though.

I find it hard to communicate properly when feeling this way, as I tend to be too blunt (due to lack of emotion).

So I just said "what time are you going back tonight, just so I know".

It took him a while to leave and I just felt more and more annoyed as time went on. But I have to bite my tongue otherwise I will say something out of place.

Blah. Anyway thanks for the support guys :)

Had another horrible episode of depersonalisation today. Came home feeling totally stressed and exhausted.

Fell asleep for a few hours, totally zonked out, and felt better after. Kind of calmer.

I think I'm going to have to start taking naps more often.

Phil, I would say if you can sleep, sleep whenever you can. I think it really helps.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

I agree ajay.

Does anyone know if celexa/citalopram would work the same as lexapro? I'm considering asking my doctor for celexa liquid to make tapering easier.

I'm even considering prozac, although wouldnt want the anxiety and lack of sleep it might cause.

• Administrator

Interesting idea. Celexa is chemically related but a lot weaker than Lexapro so your nervous system may experience the switch itself as a dramatic decrease.

For more info, Google

switch escitalopram citalopram

and

switch Lexapro Celexa

(If you find any good advice about tapering Lexapro, please post it here.)

There are a lot of people in the US who've had to switch from Lexapro to Celexa because insurance wouldn't pay for Lexapro. As near as I can tell, among people who are not experiencing withdrawal, the switch may not be a smooth one.

So it's back to being iffy, again.