Caffeine in coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks: Tolerance issues

Phil

Hi there!

Have tried to stop drinking coffee, but it's really hard. I've always been rather sensitive to caffeine (started drinking coffee after I was put on Sertraline). I become jittery, feeling as though I'm on speed, I get palpitations and tremor. These symptoms have got worse since I started taking Wellbutrine, which isn't surprising as both act as stimulants.

The problem is that I am so tired, feeling sluggish all the time (which is really bothersome) and these symptoms usually improve after having a cup of coffee. I can think clearer, concentrate better and the blues lifts off. On the other hand there's a fine line between sluggish and speedy, I'm rarely anywhere in-between.

Well I guess it would be best not to drink any coffee. Any of you with these kind of experiences? If you stopped drinking coffee, was that good for you?

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mort81

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• Mjau

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just CT'd my exactly 1.75 cup a day habit this past weekend. No long-term report yet, but I think it was affecting my sleep more than I realized. I am a huge proponent of searching down causes of fatigue and brain fog, they have so affected my life. Gut health and sleep apnea are front and center for me. I really hope you can find what you need!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

If you don't like feeling jittery, as though you're on speed, with palpitations and tremor, you should reduce your caffeine intake.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am a huge proponent of searching down causes of fatigue and brain fog, they have so affected my life.

Brain fog - that's the word for it! Exactly one of my main issues as well. The fog lifts off temporarily after a cup of coffee and that's a great relief. But the caffeine side effects often kick in. I'm quite addicted to caffeine. And I tried CT but that leads to huge cravings... :-o

Would be interesting to hear about your caffeine CT experience!

Alto, no I don't like feeling speedy. I guess the speediness isn't good for my nervous system as it's already rather out of balance... So now I figuered out that why not taper caffeine as well ;-)

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I was doing fine with decaf coffee but no:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/is-decaf-coffee-really-caffeine-free

The only thing I enjoy in the tough days and waves is this.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone experienced withdrawal symptoms from giving up caffeine?

Symptoms of withdrawal from caffeine include:
  • headache.
  • fatigue.
  • anxiety.
  • irritability.
  • depressed mood.
  • difficulty concentrating.

I stopped drinking coffee CT, but was still drinking tea.  When I stopped drinking regular tea, I got bad headaches for a few days, but then they subsided.  I probably got some of the other symptoms of caffeine withdrawal too, but it may have been difficult to differentiate them from my ongoing protracted AD withdrawal.

How have others stopped caffeine and what did you experience?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I am still tapering coffee. Yeah u heard right. Tapering coffee... It is ridiculous.

Severe migraines, fatigue and depression are my main symptoms.

I am dirnking decaf coffee 2 times a day right now and eating chocolate.

My goal is to stop coffee and chocolate alttogether.

Cold turkeyed Paxil in May 2012  :ph34r:

Finally recovered / see success story :)

• 6 months later...

I found the coffee topic... hurray! 

I have a question to all: I love coffee. I've always been a coffee addict, so is my mum. I think there must be something genetic to it. 

I can still tolerate coffee, at least I don't notice any immediate bad effect from it. But the general recommendation seems to be "Reduce coffee in withdrawal". I feel kinda guilty about just continuing with it. 

Does anyone know: Will the coffee hinder recovery or is the suggestion to stop drinking it more for people who can't tolerate it? 

Any good articles I could read? 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

You hope someone says it's ok to keep drinking it ;) lol

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Haha, you caught me!!! 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Ya chicory is a nice choice. For me coffee occasionally like 2 or 3 cups a week drastically improves my mood and wont cause me agitation. Sometimes if a program i like is on and i have a coffee it can make me feel so happy . If I start to have it daily or too much than it goes the other way and I feel worse. WD has been a huge balancing act with everything.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Dandelion root can also be good. I bought something called dandy blend.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone experiences a more sensitive body chemestry after getting over w/d.

I can't seem to tolerate caffeine and if I do I get bad muscle pains in my legs.

Dennis    Denstar51

• Moderator Emeritus

I want to share my recent caffeine experiment because it appears to have gone paradoxical on me. Note that I'm in protracted withdrawal and have been completely drug free for about 27 months now.

I've been off caffeine completely for about 2 years. I stopped because of the advice here and that it was increasing anxiety type symptoms and preventing me from sleeping, even one cup of weak tea in the afternoon would stop me from being able to sleep.

One day last week I decided to see what effect caffeine has on me now, because my physical anxiety type symptoms and cortisol mornings have reduced somewhat over the last months.

It was late morning, I made a cup of tea. Poured the water in and took the tea bag out immediately, no dunking or squeezing, so it would have been very weak. I drank only half the cup and felt no immediate effects. But in about 45 minutes, I was overcome with fatigue, I had to lay down. I fell asleep and slept for a solid 2 hours. This was very unusual because I haven't been able to sleep during the day for the last several years due to high daytime cortisol. I awoke with a small surge of panic, but it had felt nice to be able to sleep during the day.

The effects continued. I slept fine that night, but the next morning I woke suddenly at 4am with racing thoughts, worse than usual. But it stopped suddenly within about an hour, then I fell back into a heavy sleep and didn't wake up until 10:30. That is also very unusual for me. These days I start waking up around 5am and generally can't go back to sleep and if I do, its only very light, disturbing sleep. I woke up feeling very disoriented, wondering what had happened. I hadn't changed anything else, so I assume this must have been an effect of the small amount of caffeine in my sensitized nervous system, its now acting as a depressant rather than a stimulant.

No more caffeine and I've gone back to 'normal'

Edited by Petunia
added link

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I use caffeine as a "take at your own risk" supplement. As with anything you need to weight the balance of effects. I usually stay away from it as I have become more sensitive to it in withdrawal and it causes me to go into a manic state, but sometimes I need it. I have no choice but to continue working or have no place to live so, on the days were I have to do some serious physical tasks, I go to the caffeine. I usually am on the fatigued and achy end of the spectrum of wd symptoms but caffeine tends to give me some relief from that, but then causes me to go into a jittery, agitated stage with tingling in my limbs. In my view it is a question of which is the better of two evils for the day?

2001: Started Antidepressants at age 15.

2001-2010: Put on and taken off numerous Antidepressants when they stopped working.

2010: Sertraline 100mg

2012: Sertraline 150mg

2014: Sertraline 200mg

May 2015: Started Tapering off Sertraline, 25% Reduction to 150mg.

June 2015: Continue at 150mg due to withdrawal, no reduction this month.

July 2015: Psychiatrist told me to do alternating day doses of 150mg and 200mg.

Tried one week with horrible results and went back to 150mg.

Mid-July 2015: I decided the alternate doses and 150mg were not working so I used a pill cutter for an even 175mg

August 2015: Psychiatrist told me to stay on 175mg for another month.

September 2015: Back to 150mg and tried new doctor. She told me to try Sam-e, taking 200mg daily. 

• Administrator

You might ingest less and avoid the blowback.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've always been sensitive to caffeine, but I also found I was much more sensitive to it during my unstructured tapers.

I've been drinking rooibos and honeybush tea--both caffeine free--and supposedly they have many health benefits. In remembering to keep all things moderate, even healthy things, I drink no more than 1-2 cups a day.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

I can use coffee as an indicator of my current status in the windows and waves pattern. In the middle of a window it gives me those positive effects we all know. Then in the middle of a wave it gives me instant dizziness, nausea and anxiety. Between those, I do drink coffee with caution. I only take one cup in the mornings and usually it gives me pleasure and wakes me up but gives me slightly anxious feeling, but which I can cope with. 

When having a bad wave I drink black tea in the mornings. 

My history:
Escitalopram 5-10mg 2006-2008

Fluoxetine 40mg 2008-2010
Venlafaxine 150mg 2010 - December 2014
I tapered off very quickly:
1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• 1 month later...

Good point katamari.It could be enjoyable but in a wave is more likely to be a white kncukle experience. I have noticed I can drink coffee amd enjoy it in the mornings as long as im not in a wave. However during the evenings forget about it. It immediately causes anxiety and an overall uncomfortable feeling in my body. I tried a cup tonight cause I was so tired at 7pm and didn't want to sleep and wake up in the middle of the night. Wow did it make me awful! I used to be able to drink coffee before I went to bed lol. My body needs to calm down before I can think of enjoying a cup of Joe in the evening!

• 2 weeks later...

My body is really changing in regards to caffeine. Physically I have been much stronger lately as weakness/fatigue was starting to make me housebound. Now i can do so much more but I can't drink coffee or tea at all anymore. I think it was good for me before because my body was so fatigued and it made me mentally alert and put me in a positive mood. Now It triggers major anxiety/fear. Im going to greatly reduce my intake but slowly.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all,

I had to go off coffee after I reduced my Pristiq.  If I remember rightly it made me feel jittery.  I now drink Caro which is a cereal beverage.  I have been drinking it on and off over the years (especially if I wanted a cuppa in the afternoon or evening).  I also drink licorice and peppermint tea.  I have separate teabags and steep the licorice but I only dunk the peppermint a few times.  Very refreshing and doesn't need sweetening.  Apparently it is also nice chilled.

Suggestion:  If you can't go straight from coffee to a substitute, you could combine the two and gradually change the ratio over.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I was a 'once-a-day' coffee drinker for about 13 years.  Then I started withdrawal, and it increasingly made me feel jittery, nauseous, speedy and yuck till I knew had to stop.  I had headaches for about a week, and since then have noticed some interesting things.  One, I stopped needing my lunch ridiculously early in the day, and I can now easilly go till 12noon.  Two, I can't even bear the thought of drinking coffee - and I'd thought it would be really hard cause I'd want it all the time.

Because it was such a treat for me, I worked out a replacement before I quit.  Home-made chai tea:  Rooibus tea-bags (which are caffeine-free), cardamom seeds and pods, vanilla essence, a cinnamon stick, ground black pepper, fresh ginger, a few dried cloves.  Yum yum yum.  I have it with milk and coconut-sugar. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

That Chai tea sounds pretty damn good! I really like chai tea . Most chai is caffinated though which is why you make your own ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup, and because it's just yummier, and it smells so nice while it's simmering on the stove.  In winter I sit the pot on the fire-place and the whole house smells like chai.  Chai is best when it can slowly simmer for a while.  You can also add things like orange peel, or make a chocolate-chai with cocoa powder.  Of course then you are getting back into a little caffeine.  I can handle cocoa luckily. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks for the recipes Karen ! I will be trying it out this winter .

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread, as I just started feeling the negative effects of caffeine since my worst hit on the way tapering 3 months ago.

I have been drinking decaf only though, should decaf be ok assuming no caffeine there? Any experience or thoughts are appreciated.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

HI Lex, mostly during waves I cant handle any caffeine but decaf never bothers me. Not sure how others are effected though .

Thanks a lot Mort for your quick response and good feedback! Maybe it's just my guessing. I will google for decaf ingredients see if anything in it suspicious.

Hope I can at least enjoy the flavor of decaf.

I just realized you reinstated Paxil after stopping lexapro. I will read your thread to learn more about your experience. I just have too much trouble making peace with lex.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Well, this is a really interesting topic.  I am a big coffee drinker - I took to caffeine like, I don't know, a duck to water I guess.  I actually remember my first can of diet cola at the age of 13 or 14 and how bright and sparkly it made me feel.  It cheered me up a lot - which I needed, because junior high school was horrible.

I drank a LOT of coffee on Zoloft and I found that the higher my level of Zoloft was, the more tired I would be.  Consequently, now that I am tapering I find myself having a lot more energy and I find coffee makes me hyperactive and anxious in a way I don't completely enjoy.  I'd like to be able to do without, frankly, and just use something like tea now and again if there's a specific and important reason to fight fatigue, or I'm catching up with a friend.  I was drinking up to 15 cups per day  :blush: however now I am down to eight.

I have quit coffee before.  I missed the energy rush but my energy levels transitioned much more smoothly during the day and responded gently to such things as a brisk walk or a good chat with a friend.

- Sertraline 100mg from 2002 - 2007

- Tried Effexor XR in 2004, side effects were worse, went back to Zoloft.

- quit cold turkey a number of times due to side effects

- Generic Prozac from 2007 - 2011

- Pristiq in 2011 for two months, like Effexor XR I could not tolerate the medication

- Quit cold turkey, again experienced devastating rebound depression

- Back on Sertraline 50mg and then 100mg from late 2011 - current.

- Have scheduled a taper which will take a minimum of 2 years.

5/11/15 - dropped from 100mg to 50mg.  Memory issues, which subsided.  Feeling overly 'up', scared me. Cut back on coffee, seemed to get better.  

- 22/12/15 dropped to 45mg.

I'm glad I found this thread, as I just started feeling the negative effects of caffeine since my worst hit on the way tapering 3 months ago.

I have been drinking decaf only though, should decaf be ok assuming no caffeine there? Any experience or thoughts are appreciated.

Hey LexAnger :) there is a little caffeine in decaf, but not a lot.  If you feel okay, there is nothing to worry about, in my view.  A little caffeine doesn't hurt and there are actually health benefits.  If a few cups of decaf aren't making you feel jittery, the decision to quit would be just a matter of personal preference.  

- Sertraline 100mg from 2002 - 2007

- Tried Effexor XR in 2004, side effects were worse, went back to Zoloft.

- quit cold turkey a number of times due to side effects

- Generic Prozac from 2007 - 2011

- Pristiq in 2011 for two months, like Effexor XR I could not tolerate the medication

- Quit cold turkey, again experienced devastating rebound depression

- Back on Sertraline 50mg and then 100mg from late 2011 - current.

- Have scheduled a taper which will take a minimum of 2 years.

5/11/15 - dropped from 100mg to 50mg.  Memory issues, which subsided.  Feeling overly 'up', scared me. Cut back on coffee, seemed to get better.  

- 22/12/15 dropped to 45mg.

Hi Happypuppy,

Thank you for your kind assurance! I actually just drink 1-2 cups of diluted decaf by adding at least half water to it so max total is one cup of decaf. I used to be able to drink the same amount of regular coffee only recently my CNS was hacked 360 degree with new severe symptoms one after another like episodes in a play. I will test for a few more times see if I have to quit completely.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Last Wednesday I drank one coffee at one course and then I only prayed when it will leave my system. Immediately I turned almost manic, I had the feeling I wanted to run 20 times round the square near the building where the course took place, I could not concentrate on the lecture, I got intensive intrusive thoughts about the teacher and the people sitting at the course and during the dinner I was afraid that I will fail to recognize the people sitting in the restaurant as innocents and will harm them. I did not harm anyone but it made me so scared that I will surely not try coffee for at least one year to come.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hey Martina that extra boost of energy could def intensify WD symptoms both good and bad. Its a risky play in WD. I am starting to have much more trouble with caffeine.It sucks being this sensitive but at some point it will change.Just remember those thoughts are not you and in time they will shrink to nothing. I have been getting weird thoughts more often. Very unpleasant. I drink 1 small cup every 3 days but am close to stopping. Since my symptoms changed and I have more neuro anxiety and akathisia caffeine is an unpleasant trigger at times.

I think caffeine can be a dangerous thing for those of us with "fragile brains". I know when I was depressed, I really craved caffeine, it gave me a mild "up" feeling. But of course I paid for that later in the day with a bigger, longer down. Depression rule of thumb--every artificial "up" gets paid for at least twice over with a "down". Also, having problems with insomnia, anything like caffeine can put it right over the edge. I can't even eat much dark chocolate, as it contains a chemical called theobromine, related to caffeine, which is too stimulating for me. Currently, two cups of decaf in the morning is it.

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

Thanks all for chimp in with your experience!

Sarabera, it seems you can at least handle decaf. I tried couple more days with half cup of decaf it seemed no obvious harm. Hope I can stay with it.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

• 3 months later...

I think coffee is a good thing to take when tapering down off this stuff. 

2005/6-2013 - A wild rollercoaster of meds I can't remmeber, i was on 40mg of zyprexa at one point daily
2014 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 April 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 May 200mg Zoloft / 400mg Seroquel
2015 June 200mg Zoloft / 300mg Seroquel
2015 July 150mg Zoloft / 200mg Seroquel
2015 August 125mg Zoloft / 100mg Seroquel
2015 September 100mg Zoloft / 50mg Seroquel
2015 October 50mg Zoloft
2015 November 75mg Zoloft

2016 November 100mg Zoloft; 112.5mg Clozaril 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy