xamendrummerx Zoloft cold turkey in '07, now relapsed from hyper sensitivity

xamendrummerx

Hey guys I'm sorry I didn't even see the last two messages. I was trying to relax after the bad Xmas day I had. Right now my situation has changed. I was taking Melatonin and during that time my long days of staying awake went away and now it's replaced by being able to get to sleep on time consistently but I'm sleeping less and less! Inducing sleep is easy at the correct time, but I can't get enough sleep anymore and am exhausted. I feel like it's related to melatonin changing my sleep architecture but am not sure. I used to be an 8-9 hour sleeper, but since melatonin 5-7 hours. It really feels like melatonin changed the pattern from long days awake occasionally, to being able to sleep on time but not getting enough sleep at all. I am going a bit crazy and depressed. I need 8 hours. Anyone think my sleeping pattern changing and my lack of sleep is related to the use of melatonin over a few weeks?

Right now am taking 250mg keppra to help induce sleep and 25mg atenolol once a day.

I don't think I had two cold turkeys, it was just my original AD I cold turkeyed. I never cold turkeyed klonopin but it was a mistake to use it on and off again after the hydrocortisone cream screwed me over.

Zoloft cold turkey in early '07. Survived withdrawal with other meds.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sleeping less and less! Inducing sleep is easy at the correct time, but I can't get enough sleep anymore and am exhausted. I feel like it's related to melatonin changing my sleep architecture but am not sure. I used to be an 8-9 hour sleeper, but since melatonin 5-7 hours. It really feels like melatonin changed the pattern from long days awake occasionally, to being able to sleep on time but not getting enough sleep at all. I need 8 hours. Anyone think my sleeping pattern changing and my lack of sleep is related to the use of melatonin over a few weeks?

I stopped taking melatonin because of a reaction similar to yours. It was better prn, a couple of times a week, but my overall response was negative so I stopped all together.

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

The melatonin may be helping you to sleep more deeply, causing a paradoxical reaction from an alerting system hypersensitized by withdrawal.

If I were you, I'd reduce the melatonin dosage. How much are you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks sky and alto.

I quit melatonin altogether for a whole month in January. But I caved in on a stressful day last week and took one. It's been bad since. So I'm not taking any melatonin right now. I think it makes sense it's giving me deeper but less sleep. Thanks for the input. I take it it's a combination of all the things I've gone through. How long is it going to take to change the pattern again? I've been in this slump since late June.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

• Administrator

How much melatonin were you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was on 0.5 mg a few weeks in November and then 1 mg through December. I took only one dose in January and another a week ago. It was 1 mg. I feel like I'm still having huge problems from those two doses. Other than that it might be something I'm not aware of.

• Administrator

.25mg melatonin is the normal starting dose.

My sleep doctor said .5mg was ok to start on. Am I addicted in some way and need to start on .25mg again to get stabilized? Or should I stay away from it forever? I have a deep fear of using it.

• Administrator

No, studies have shown a small amount, less than .5mg, to be effective for many people.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

Do you really expect your psychiatrist to pay attention to your sensitivity to melatonin?

He deals with SSRI withdrawal often so that's why I went to him. I'm pretty sure he said it's ok to start on .5mg. Maybe I was so tired that day he might've said to start lower. Thanks for the link. To be honest I never used it at the correct time I should have even when my doctor told me to use it only at night. I used it even during the day because I couldn't sleep at night half the time.

• Administrator

You should use it after nightfall, to augment your normal melatonin release.

If you can recommend your doctor for tapering, please add his contact info to http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v or send it to me in a p.m. This could help a lot of people.

I already asked him if I could mention his name here and he said I shouldn't because of his busy schedule.

Have you been reading any of the threads on a low-histamine diet? Best, Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 2 weeks later...

No Mein I didn't, it's so hard for me to start new diets that I never tried one. But this week I was finally able to eat sugar again since I got sick in June. So my diet is improving even if my sleep isn't good.

Would anyone be able to tell me their thoughts on me starting a low dose of Trazodone? I have extreme dizziness and faintness since I was young and that's why I was on SSRIs. My dizziness was tested for months until they put me on an SSRI and that stopped my dizziness. I will be bed-ridden if my dizziness gets as as bad as it used to be when I was young and it's happening again. How would I do on Trazodone if an SSRI destroys my life for a year if I touch it? My psych. doctor who helped me with my withdrawal symptoms thinks it's ok to try it. This is a big decision for me and I've been sitting on it for over a year. I don't want to be bed-ridden feeling faint for the rest of my life. I'm already feeling suicidal from dizziness and my sleep problems.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello xamen,

I know you've been suffering for a long time so hearing , "I'm sorry" probably sounds very hollow. I do believe you are stronger than you realize, though.

I don't know much about Trazodone except that it is an antidepressant and it does have to be tapered. I don't know if anyone could predict how it would affect you. People have taken it to help with sleep, I've heard, but as I was saying, it's hard to say what the effect would be.

I can hear how desperate you are feeling. May you wake one day soon feeling well and new!

Hugs,

Tezza

Is there anything I can do to speed up digesting and getting rid of the last traces of what I ate yesterday, or is it my nerves feeling the after effects for awhile and there's nothing I can do right now? Like ginger tea, is it any good for speeding up clearing your stomach? It's all I have right now.

I really try to eat the simplest foods already but thanks for the suggestions. It's when I change my routine things seem to go badly. But it seems impossible to eat the same meals everyday.

I drink dandelion tea sometimes. It's very gentle. It helps promote liver function and aids in digestion.

It's worked for me in the past.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so after 9 months of torture I got 18 good days of sleep in March! So the sleep brain damage seems to be going away. One dose of hydrocortisone cream was enough to destroy my sleep for almost a year thanks to the Zoloft cold turkey! Maybe just a few more months to go for real stability in sleep. I want to say thanks to everyone on this board for replying to me to all my questions! And I want to say screw all the doctors for being corrupt robots who don't learn anything even after 20 years of practice!

I wish I could help other people on this forum but I'm no good at looking at other people's suffering. It's not that I'm lazy or don't care about you guys! Love you all.

• Administrator

Thanks for checking in, xamen. Good to hear of the positive developments.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, is there any reason the antibiotic cream called clindamycin would interact with Keppra, an anti seizure drug I'm on for helping me sleep? I've used it in the past and my RLS returned, and it's happened again when I used it for acne. I didn't even know this acne cream was an antibiotic, and I chose to stay away from antibiotics. I realized what if antibiotics interact with Keppra and make it stop working until the antibiotic effect goes away. It's happened in the past, I just didn't really believe they were connected until my RLS returned a second time. It's not full on insomnia hyperactivity I used to have from being hyper sensitive to drugs, it feels more like how feel when Keppra isn't working. Is it possible using an antibiotic neutralized Keppra for awhile? Can antibiotics do that to other meds you're on?

• Administrator

You might be hypersensitive to the antibiotic and reacting to it.

Many people here have reported reactions to oral antibiotics. I've had reactions to topical steroids. So it's possible you're reacting to clindamycin cream.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know why I have permanent heart problems after an accidental OD on amitriptyline? My heart has been skipping (PACs) and going at a high rate since the overdose. It's been over 6 years since the OD. I never once had any of these problems before the OD. It all started right after the OD. I have to use beta blockers to control it. The cardiologists say there's nothing wrong with my heart even though I have all these crazy issues with it since then. It skips and races like crazy even on beta blockers if I don't exercise everyday. It goes up to 180bpm on its own since the OD without beta blockers. How can the doctors say there's nothing wrong with it if it races so much since the OD?

One thing I was doing after my overdose was checking my pulse in my throat constantly, since it was a good place to check if it was skipping, since at the time I was extremely paranoid about everything it did. The thing I noticed was I had a solid thump in my throat with every heart beat, but a few months after my amitriptyline OD, my heart's thump in my throat went a lot softer and stayed that way. Ever since then, I've had the heart skipping and racing problems. It's definitely related to the softer thump I'm getting in my throat of my heart, like my heart needs exercise because it's too soft or something.

What happened during the OD was maybe atrial fibrilation but I'm not sure. The OD made my heart go 160bpm, but it was at a soft rhythm, like when you're at rest. That's the problem, there was no adrenaline feeling fueling my heart. It didn't have any adrenaline feeling in it like you get during real exercise at that rate. From that I feel like the OD overworked my heart for the few minutes it was forcing it to do this. It was enough to do all this damage for a lifetime so far.

Any of this sound familiar? No doctors are able to tell me what's going on. Anyone know any genius cardiologists that don't follow the book and might be able to tell me?

• Administrator

The drug affected your autonomic nervous system, which controls heart rate. You might want to talk to a neurologist.

Thanks Alto. So it might not be a heart problem directly? Is there even a 1% chance autonomic stuff can repair itself someday? I've had zero progress so far other than when I exercise. Do you have an idea what neuros would tell me? Hopefully not to use psych. drugs because I can't take them.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Sorry for the long delay in my response.

It seems your heart is healthy, that's why the cardiologist said there's nothing wrong with your heart.

Yes, the OD might have disturbed your heart rate. It's possible this will go away. How are you now?

• 7 months later...

Anyone know the safety of taking Tylenol for a fever/virus if I'm highly sensitive due to antidepressants? I'm doing badly and need something to lower my temperature. Is Tylenol affecting sleep badly? Anyone have experience?

So does anyone know if Tylenol is safe if you have severe sleep sensitivity from various drugs and chemicals?

You could do a search here for Tylenol and see what people's experiences have been. I've personally never heard of anyone in WD having a bad reaction from it.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Thank you for the info, Ladybug.

• 6 months later...

Hello, can Altrostrata or someone else knowledgeable tell me if Tylenol is safe to take if I have adverse sleep problems from psych. drugs?

• Moderator Emeritus

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1039-painkillers-in-withdrawal-aspirin-ibuprofen-paracetamol-acetaminophen-naproxen-codeine/

As Ladybug advised you, you can do a google search by typing surviving antidepressants and anything that interests you. And you will get our experienced on the topic. I did it now for you with tylenol.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 5 years later...

How do I deal with heart skips (PACs) that happen while lying down? I have them during the day and they're even worse when trying to stay still. It's really absurd and unfair.

Guys, can someone help me? I can't eat or sleep because my heart is skipping too much whenever I try to.

1 hour ago, xamendrummerx said:

Guys, can someone help me? I can't eat or sleep because my heart is skipping too much whenever I try to.

@xamendrummerx, hi I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I do experience quite a bit of heart related stuff in wd. I know that getting my heart thoroughly checked and cleared helped me at least not worry that these skips and palps are going to kill me. Once you have this out of the way, maybe this will make you feel better? 

Other thing to do in this kind of scenario is taking a beta blocker such as propranolol. It normalizes heart rhytm. Idk how you feel about it. I did take it when my heart palps were unbearable but lately I can tolerate them so I don't take it. 

I hope that you feel better soon!

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

My beta blocker only slows down my high heart rate, it doesn't help my skips at all when lying down. They're even worse. This all started from an overdose on amitriptyline, not from withdrawal. I've already seen 5 cardios about this. They're all quite useless buffoons. I hate to resort to begging for sleeping pills again just to have something of normalcy.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what kind of doctors are likely to still prescribe a benzo like Klonopin? I heard doctors prescribe them less often.