John: Effexor withdrawal on a delay?

John

• Administrator

As far as we're concerned, as long as you don't have withdrawal symptoms, you're taking a therapeutic dose.

Good to hear your anxiety has gone away. What do you feel you've learned about this? You were very upset about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

47 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

As far as we're concerned, as long as you don't have withdrawal symptoms, you're taking a therapeutic dose.

Good to hear your anxiety has gone away. What do you feel you've learned about this? You were very upset about it.

It was beyond upset; it was surreal.  My whole life as I knew it was over.  Anything I enjoyed or chores I had to do was as if I had no time for; I had to keep pacing around the house looking out of window after window.  Alternate bouts of sweating and then chills constantly overcame me while feelings of extreme unnatural panic washed over me.  Almost feelings like teetering on the edge of going insane it would get so bad.  my appetite went to 0, lost 30 lbs.  It was relentless; it would get tolerable at night at about 8 or 9pm, then ramp up the next day as soon as I got up and started all over again.  Since my cold turkey of 2010, I no longer have any of these symptoms and am pretty much back to the way I was before I started the medication.  It took about 5 years of very slow tapering for these symptoms to disappear.

What I learned was that even though these symptoms seemed permanent, never give up hope.  If youre much worse off after the withdrawal than before you began the medication, it WILL disappear provided you do a constant SLOW taper.  Time goes slow but it also goes fast, and before you know it you'll see that youre beginning to recover.

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

December 2010 - reinstated 75mgs Effexor XR, felt no better months later

January 2011 - Began 5% taper every month

2012 - Anxiety began improving by had many windows and waves

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2016 - Fear, anxiety began to wane

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

December 2020 - Now at ~31mgs Effexor XR, 5mgs Crestor 

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

@John  I just finished reading your entire thread. It should be required reading for all new members as it seems to cover so many WD symptoms and questions related to the symptoms.  All things I wish I had known back in '97 when I first started my ride of psych drugs and WD.  John, I am sorry you have had such a struggle but you give me hope.  I will revisit your thread as I continue in and out of WD hell toward my healing success. Thank you John!

Edited by Lucy1983
change a date

Paxil  07/1997 - 10/1998 Quit CT  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Zoloft 200 mg 07/2013  WD 04/3/20 - 04/8/20 Quit

Seroquel 800 mg 07/2013 2013 *400 mg 07/2019  *** WD 04/15/2020 - 06/19/20 Quit

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

Xanax  2 mg prn 07/2013 - 04/23/20 Quit CT

Lamictal 150 mg 07/2013 WD 05/06/20 -06/11/2020 Quit

Propranolol 03/21/2020 - 04/20/2020 Quit CT

Hydroxyzine  12/14/2020 - 12/27/20 Quit

Allegra 24 hr 01/11/21 Flonase Nasal Spray 01/11/21

Magnesium Glycinate 100mg x3 daily D3 5000iu daily 

6 hours ago, Lucy1983 said:

@John  I just finished reading your entire thread. It should be required reading for all new members as it seems to cover so many WD symptoms and questions related to the symptoms.  All things I wish I had known back in '97 when I first started my ride of psych drugs and WD.  John, I am sorry you have had such a struggle but you give me hope.  I will revisit your thread as I continue in and out of WD hell toward my healing success. Thank you John!

Great to hear Lucy.  The most important thing to remember for me is that since I felt nowhere near the way I did on withdrawal before the meds indicated to me that it wasn't me...  It was the withdrawal, and withdrawals do go away.  It may take a long time, but it does.  I never thought in a million years this would get any better, and it did beyond my expectations.

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to get new symptoms after years?

I havent been around on this site lately; I tried to distance myself since my anxiety was so bad and always dwelling on the subject brought upon way more anxiety.  Not too long ago I was asked how i'm doing and anxiety wise doing very well; i'm still reducing my dose although very slowly (5% in weight) every 8 months.  Now I know that many people will say it's unnecessary, but  I noticed that if i taper any less than that length of time, the withdrawal effects seem to overlap and are much worse, so this seems to be my sweet spot.  Im now down to about 40mgs of Effexor, and the anxiety went way down, and just get the usual zaps from time to time, and mild anxiety that doesnt last very long a few months after I do a taper.

I've had PVCs (Premature ventricular contractions) for many years, and they pretty much started in 2010 right before i went cold turkey from 75mgs of Effexor.  I can only contribute it to a "poop out" of the drug, but since then I had them on and off.  As of the last year or two, i've been getting them more often and pattern like.  For example every time i would finish a meal, the PVCs would start within an hour after eating, and last for a few hours, but they'd always disappear by 9 or 10 oclock at night like my anxiety did in the past  when I had that severe anxiety.  I also never had them in the morning when I woke up.  

2 weeks ago I went for a routine blood test with my  MD, and as usual my cholesterol was elevated (240), but my HDL was high as well as my LDL, and on the test said average risk.  And as usual my Dr wrote me a prescription for Crestor 5mg.  Because a few months ago my father whose 74 just found out that he had a 99% blockage in one artery and had 3 stents put in, I finally decided to take the Crestor.   4 days ago my PVCs started changing patterns.  They now always seem to start like clockwork 2 hours after waking up, and lasting on and off until I go to sleep at night.  I tried jogging, doing a lot of physical activity while this is going on, and I dont seem to be hindered by the palpitations; no dizzyness, not out of breath, etc.  So I guess the question I have is that since over the years i noticed that my withdrawal symptoms morphed into different severities/types.  Do you think that this new pattern in PVCs and the PVCs in general can all be due to the tapering?  Can it be a side effect all of a sudden after so many years of Effexor?  Or can it be possible its this Crestor?  I dont feel particularly extra anxious to make these PVCs worse than they were.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature, which I requested on 22 September 2020, by following these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

3 hours ago, John said:

I finally decided to take the Crestor.   4 days ago my PVCs started changing patterns. 

You don't state when you started the Crestor.

Please include it is your drug signature.

The most logical thing to do if you start a new drug and get different/increased symptoms is to check for side effects.  I now do a side effect check BEFORE I start a drug.

From https://www.drugs.com/sfx/crestor-side-effects.html

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking rosuvastatin:

Less common

• fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I've been taking crestor for about 2 weeks. I added it in my signature. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not seeing an signature.

Did you click Save after creating it?  It is below the box where you enter the text.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I added it under the about me section.  I dont see where else to put anything.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

On 9/22/2020 at 9:10 AM, ChessieCat said:

• Moderator Emeritus

And please use DATES, not periods of time.  Thank you.

Hey John, 

I just read your whole intro thread and I want to say I wish you well on getting through those tough years.  It looked rough for a while but you pulled it off.

Keep your head up.

‘I myself am three months off a fast taper and felt fine until two weeks ago when I got the panic, anxious thoughts, dread, and sleep issues.  Dealing now, you’re struggle gives me hope.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

Wow! Just read your whole thread, John, as I'm also taking Venlafaxine. Looking ahead to tapering. What a time of it you went through.....but you've made enormous progress. Wishing you further continued healing and recovery.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

I am now cutting the Crestor in half to titrate up to the 5mg dose.  I did stop the crestor for a few days, and the palpitations did get better, but i'm still not 100% sure if it was the Crestor.  The reason i'm not sure is because i'm also getting brain zaps, and when I get the palpitations it seems like there's a "charged" adrenalin rush in my chest, as if it may be anxiety.  When palpitations happen, I get no other symptoms; i'm able to do strenuous physical work, shovel, etc with no issues.  In fact, they seems to disappear when i'm exercising, and reoccur when I rest.  In some people does it get to a point in dosage where withdrawal effects start ramping up since the dosage is so low? 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• 2 years later...

I've been tapering pretty well off of the 75mgs of effexor XR since about 2011.  I've been reducing 5% of the total weight of the pellets every 7 or 8 months.  Everytime i'd taper, i'd have some type of effects, but nothing major.  Granted, it's a very long and slow process, but i'm able to live life and be functional.  About 7 weeks ago, I tapered again to 105mgs of pill weight from about 111.  After about 2 weeks, I started for the first time to have (I think) feelings of depression, weepy, nostalgic about my past, and then dissipated and had some usual taper effects.  Then as of 4 days ago, I began to have extreme nervousness, sweating, diahrrea, brain zaps, PVCs and stomach issues.  I cant sit still and concentrate really on anything.  Anxiety tends to run in my mother's side of the family, but not I or anyone else in my family has any of this.  Oddly enough, blood pressure and even pulserate are normal.  I even took a Kardia EKG and while it detects the PVCs, its a normal sinus rhythm.  And then I read that as I go down in pill weight (or dose) 5% (or whatever youre tapering amount may be) is not the same as when you began.  5% of a gallon of water is not the same as 5% of a cup.  Can this be the reason why I feel so lousy?  Should I ride this out, or add a few more pellets to the Effexor?  If it makes a difference, I'm using Wyeth's brand name Effexor XR. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Administrator

Hello, John. I moved your new posts here. Please add updates to this, your Introductions topic.

2 hours ago, John said:

About 7 weeks ago, I tapered again to 105mgs of pill weight from about 111.

How much venlafaxine are you taking, in milligrams of active ingredient?

2 hours ago, John said:

After about 2 weeks, I started for the first time to have (I think) feelings of depression, weepy, nostalgic about my past, and then dissipated and had some usual taper effects.  Then as of 4 days ago, I began to have extreme nervousness, sweating, diahrrea, brain zaps, PVCs and stomach issues.  I cant sit still and concentrate really on anything.

Please explain more about how your symptom pattern changed since you reduced 7 weeks ago.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Judging from the beginning, it seems that I'm down to about 32mgs of medication. Not sure how to figure this out accurately. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

8 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, John. I moved your new posts here. Please add updates to this, your Introductions topic.

How much venlafaxine are you taking, in milligrams of active ingredient?

Please explain more about how your symptom pattern changed since you reduced 7 weeks ago.

Judging from the beginning, it seems that I'm down to about 32mgs of medication. It might be less. Not sure how to figure this out accurately. Is there a formula or way to determine this?  How can it be possible to figure what is filler and what is medication? 

7 weeks ago, almost immediately after I dropped, I got the usual taper effects, (mild anxiety, some zaps). Lasted for a few weeks, and it wasn't until about 3 or 4 days ago is when this severe anxiety, nervousness and psysical symptoms appeared, although I'm not sure if the psysical symptoms are from withdrawal or the anxiety from the withdrawal. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Hi John,

Sorry to jump in, but I bet you are just getting a wave from the cut, I don't think it will last very long, keep pushing forward and let's hope you go back to your normal over a couple weeks.

Good Luck.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

18 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Hi John,

Sorry to jump in, but I bet you are just getting a wave from the cut, I don't think it will last very long, keep pushing forward and let's hope you go back to your normal over a couple weeks.

Good Luck.

Thank you.  No sorry here any advice or input is welcome!  This whole thing is baffling. I STILL worry that it's me and not the drug. Meanwhile I never in my life felt like this before the Effexor. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

John, I just read through your thread from the very beginning. You've really endured a lot. It looks like I'm still at the beginning of my protracted Effexor withdrawal. Wish you the best on your continued road to recovery.

• Administrator

@John how do you measure your dose?

9 hours ago, John said:

7 weeks ago, almost immediately after I dropped, I got the usual taper effects, (mild anxiety, some zaps). Lasted for a few weeks, and it wasn't until about 3 or 4 days ago is when this severe anxiety, nervousness and psysical symptoms appeared,

So you had mild withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks? What events have occurred in the last 4 weeks that might have triggered more symptoms? A glass of alcohol, other drugs or antibiotics, covid or virus, heat wave, overexertion?

How has your sleep pattern changed since you reduced 7 weeks ago?

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@John how do you measure your dose?

So you had mild withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks? What events have occurred in the last 4 weeks that might have triggered more symptoms? A glass of alcohol, other drugs or antibiotics, covid or virus, heat wave, overexertion?

How has your sleep pattern changed since you reduced 7 weeks ago?

I drop 5% of whatever the weight is of the pellets. For example last time the pellets weighed about 111mgs, then 7 weeks ago I dropped to 105.

After the drop the 3rd week of August I almost immediately had moderate withdrawal symptoms.  Nothing I couldn't really handle.  Then about 4 days ago I heard news that my aunt passed away, and while this stressed me, I didn't think it would "crack" me. Went to the wake 2 days ago, and then the day after is when the fear feelings, intrusive thoughts sweating, etc came on. These felt almost exactly like they did when I went cold turkey 13 years ago, and back then there were no events or reasons other than the CT.  Oddly enough, my sleep pattern never changes, not even when I went CT. I fall asleep no problem and sleep through the night till morning. 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Administrator

So you've had these symptoms for only 2 days? Could be the stress of the wake, or traveling. My guess is they'll fade over the next week.

32 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

So you've had these symptoms for only 2 days? Could be the stress of the wake, or traveling. My guess is they'll fade over the next week.

I think you may be right, as today seems to be better, although not perfect. 

By the way, am I doing the taper correctly?  I know 5% of 75mgs is a lot less than 5% of 32.  Should I decrease that 5% as I whittle down?  Also there's no way of knowing what the amount of medication is according to weight of the pellets, is there? 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Well, still going through what im going through.  I'm tapering by weight, and I make every pill .105 mgs in weight.  Does anyone know if that is about 32mgs in medication?  Is there any way to figure out about how much medication is in a particular weight of a pill?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

As in my previous post https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3144-john-effexor-withdrawal-on-a-delay/page/12/#comment-662744, as of late i have a good amount of nervousness and repetitive thinking. I dropped 7 weeks ago, and while in the beginning had the usual symptoms that I always do when I taper, I had a bout of sadness which I never have.  That gave way after a few weeks to this nervousness and intrusive thoughts.  The oddest thing is that last night had to go to another wake for my job, and once I went out and spoke with coworkers it all seemed to of melted away.  Even after I got back, the rest of the night I was near normal.  Granted, I still felt a little something in the background, but totally tolerable.  I understand that distraction is always good for anxiety, but even after the distraction was over the rest of the night was fine; even my appetite came back.  I will say that even in the height of withdrawal years ago after 8 or 9 oclock I always went to near normal but this was different.  Seemed like a switch went off.  And yet this morning I wake up and the nervousness was there waiting for me when I woke up.  When i'm not in withdrawal this isnt present.  I'd also like to add that I went for full bloodwork the other day and my (possibly) relevant results are as follows:

Testosterone:  248  reference range 250-827

Vitamin B12: 1179  reference range 200-1100

Vitamin D 31  reference range 30-100

Thyroid T4 free: 1.5  reference range .8-1.8

Thyroid T4 thyroxine 9.6 reference range 4.9-10.5

Calcium:  9.9 (father had hyperparathyroidism waiting on Parathyroid hormone levels)

Although they consider these values "normal"  is it possible that any of these are causing my nervousness?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

On 10/4/2023 at 7:53 PM, Altostrata said:

Alto, as I said already, i've been tapering by weight.  Right now as of 7 weeks ago i've went down to 105 milligrams of Effexor.  Today I bought a new scale, and weighed 3 pills without the capsule.  The 3 pills varied from .108, .105, .106mgs.  I know these are minor differences, but since these are pills that I already created, can these be big enough swings to cause symptoms, since you cant tell whats filler and whats medication?  I'm going to take more weights, for all I know the swings can be even bigger.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Administrator
11 hours ago, John said:

The 3 pills varied from .108, .105, .106mgs. 

This is the contents of 3 homemade capsules? They weigh that little?

As these things go, that's very minor variation among your capsules. The active ingredient is inside each bead.

I don't know what your dose is by weight, you will need to do the math.

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

This is the contents of 3 homemade capsules? They weigh that little?

As these things go, that's very minor variation among your capsules. The active ingredient is inside each bead.

I don't know what your dose is by weight, you will need to do the math.

Yea these are all made by me.  I started since 2010 tapering every 8 months now 5%. I'm now down to 0.105 mgs in weight. I didnt think it was that little. Maybe 5% of a drop is the reason why I feel so terrible? 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, John said:

Maybe 5% of a drop is the reason why I feel so terrible? 

If you've been tapering continuously, it could be your system needs a bit of a rest to consolidate all the changes. The lower doses can be more fraught.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know approximately how many milligrams of medicine in a pellet of brand name Effexor Xr?  Does 0.303 sound right? 

June 2010 - Cold turkey

I tapered again back in August as I said earlier, and as of 2 weeks ago, I have horrible anxiety and akathesia like I did back in 2010 and 2014.  I think I may have found the reason for this.  I have been tapering by weight.  In august I tapered from 111mg weight to 105.  I reweighed 11 pills today which are supposed to be 105mgs by weight.  Instead of emptying each pill and weighing it, I took the weight of the empty capsule and got .075.  I then weighed each capsule and subtracted .075 from each one, and this is a sample of the weights of some of them:  

.107, .105, .112, .107, .95, .104, .108, .103, .106, .102

I also counted out beads from 2 pills and one was 109 pellets and the other was 103.  These are all brand name Effexor XR pills, so i think that each pellet is about 0.303mgs of medication.

If i'm not mistaken, This seems like a large enough discrepancy to make me feel like this especially since im at the  low 30mg mark of medication.  Am I correct in this?  

June 2010 - Cold turkey

On 10/9/2023 at 10:47 PM, Altostrata said:

If you've been tapering continuously, it could be your system needs a bit of a rest to consolidate all the changes. The lower doses can be more fraught.

Alto, I just saw on Effexors site that they said this about the amount of Venlafaxine:

2. Qualitative and Quantitative Composition Each 37.5 mg modified release capsule contains 42.43 mg venlafaxine hydrochloride (equivalent to 37.5 mg venlafaxine) Each 75 mg modified release capsule contains 84.85 mg venlafaxine hydrochloride (equivalent to 75 mg venlafaxine) Each 150 mg modified release capsule contains 169.7 mg venlafaxine hydrochloride (equivalent to 150 mg venlafaxine)

What can this mean?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Should I regroup and go up to an unmodified 37.5mg pill to stabilize?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• Administrator

It doesn't mean anything relevant to tapering. Keep tapering the Effexor XR form containing coated beads, by bead-counting or weighing the beads.