foster123 Flu-Like Withdrawal symptoms--Non-Stop!

foster123

Hi everyone,

I'm off all psych drugs now 10 months after 17 years. The first month was wonderful, lots of energy. After that: severe mood swings, skin problems, nausea, flu-like aches, ear ringing and stuffed-up feeling, aches, and extreme fatigue. Most recent drugs I came off off--3.5 years ago-tompomax, 3 years ago Klonopin and Ativan. !0 months ago-zoloft 200 mg, wellbutrin 300 mg.

It's been hell. Some days I can get by. Some days I want to give up on everything. I won't as I'm committed to being here, but, nonetheless I am in so much pain that life does not feel worth the struggle. I am doing everything I can stay grounded and creative. Writing, in school still, and working. Again, some days are good, Lately, they are pretty bad. Not sure why it's getting WORSE? Any ideas? I feel worse now that I did at 8 months. Please Help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foster

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear you have been struggling with withdrawal symptoms. Many people have delayed reactions.

Can I ask how did you come off your antidepressants? Did you stop suddenly or taper over time? If you tapered, what reductions did you make over what time period? And did you feel any effects when you were tapering?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks so much for your response. I should clarify that it's been pretty bad the whole way through. But symptoms were cognitive (memory and concentration now restored for the most part) and now they're physical. Unfortunately, I wasn't mentally in a place to gather information or resources to come off in a way that would be least harmful. I was so out of it, unable to think clearly, and my doctor did not support my coming off, in fact wanted to add aderrol to combat the fatigue. So I came off very quickly, within a month or so.

I know this means that my withdrawal may be worse. Has anyone recovered from such a quick withdrawal after so many years?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foster

It's highly likely then that your current symptoms are a result of withdrawal but there's no point beating yourself up over this. We have all made mistakes in the face of frustration and little to no positive engagement from the medical profession

Unfortanetly people can experience protracted withdrawal. We often recommend that you try reinstating some of the medication to see if that stabilises your condition to allow you to taper. This doesn't always work. There is more info on reinstating here Link here

Do you have any medication left

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you so much. I don't have any left. THanks for the link-- I read it and will do more research. Right now, it's the last thing I want to do. It also looks risky. Though sounds like some have had success this way. Really, I'm desperate. I haven't found anything to help. Foods are really taxing on my body too.

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand you not wanting to go back on. I was off for 3 months at one stage and was going through hell It became clear that it wasnt going away and i had to reinstate I wanted to stay off with every fibre of my being But I knew my system was telling me it's not coping with the new arrangements and that it hasn't had time to adjust. I was lucky, reinstatement worked

There's lots of info on this site. Take some time to read through it and come back and ask questions. There is always someone willing to engage by providing advice or words of encouragement.

Dalsaan

• Administrator

Hello foster, welcome.

After such a long time, it's unlikely reinstatement will work for you; it's more likely when done immediately upon emergence of withdrawal symptoms. If you were on multiple medications, who knows which one to reinstate.

Are you having symptoms like the stomach flu or body aches?

If body aches, Epsom salt baths (magnesium) might help, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2871-healing-bath-for-anyone-who-hurts-or-simply-needs-to-relax-httpwpmep5nnb-7wj/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

0 months ago-zoloft 200 mg, wellbutrin 300 mg.

Hi foster.. Did you come off Wellbutrin and Zoloft in the past month or so, or was the 0 meant to be an 8?

I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time. I found a forum such as this before I began tapering, and every day I'm thankful. It's great you found your way here. Good to have you on board.

Edit 7:10 PM

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

thanks Alto and Gold. I cam off 10 months ago. And I feel like I have the stomach flu. Some aches too. I will try the epsom salt bath!

Anyone know when this might turn around? Obviously its highly individual. I;ve heard some people say at one and two years they began to feel better...

Hi foster,

Hope your feeling better,

I expect I'll be taking a magnesium supplement every day for an other 90 days, I have been on them for about 30 days and then see where I'm at by going off of them for a couple days and see how I feel. But for me the last 30 days has been a blessing. I take my magnesium supplement every day and I have no withdrawal sometimes I can feel some discomfort and I'll take an epsom salts bath and the discomfort goes away.

I was in the most "god awful" withdrawal from gabapentin, mausea, lack of appetite, spliting headaches, ears ringing, my teath hurt, my back hurt and just a general all around bad feeling. And it didn't seem to want to go away!!

With a magnesium deficiency which is what I felt I had. Based on my diet, a lot of processed foods which takes out the magnesium. I began epsom salts baths (3 or 4 cups in the bath water) twice a day and swished diluted spsom salts (1/4 teaspoon in half a cup of water) around in my mouth and spit it out servral times a day and 90% of my withdrawal from gabapentin was gone within 48 hours.

If I hadn't experienced it for myself I wouldn't have believed that a magnesium supplement could do so much for me.

I hadn't given magnesium much thought untill I was in withdrawal and as my doctor didn't have any advise for me I had to figure it out for myself, and began reading the forums and it didn't take long to figure out that what was working for a lot of people was magnesium.

So with the help of this forum and others you may find the help you need.

There are some good supplements out there, and it makes sense that the meds leach the vitamins and minerals out of our body system.

Wish you the best.

Aza--Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear you're feeling so much better. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. Today I'm feeling much better than I have in a week, and, as it turns out, i did take a vitamin yesterday. Maybe that had something to do with it..? What a strange thing. Never knowing what to expect from our bodies.

With gratitude for you all,

Foster

• Moderator Emeritus

Aza--Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear you're feeling so much better. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. Today I'm feeling much better than I have in a week, and, as it turns out, i did take a vitamin yesterday. Maybe that had something to do with it..? What a strange thing. Never knowing what to expect from our bodies.

With gratitude for you all,

Foster

Hi Foster.. have you read anything about windows and waves? This is what you are experiencing and the fact symptoms periodically wane is a sign of healing. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin