Basildev - Tapering off SSRIs

basildev

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for listening Peggy.

I just found a thread on the forum about hot flushes and apparently they're a very common wd symptom.

That makes me feel a little better. I don't want to become 'allergic' to this medication. Then I'll REALLY be up the creek.

Yes it is awful not knowing what to do.

I hope you're feeling a little better today x

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basildev

• Altostrata

• peggy

• strawberry17

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi BD

I'm a bit sleep deprived myself at the moment so forgive me if I've already raised this or someone else has but have you tried glycine for your sleep?

The reason I ask is because it drops your core temp which I read you have been having probs with (so do i). This messes with your sleep

Glycine has helped me but too much upsets my stomache. So I am trying to find a dose that helps my sleep but doesn't giver cramps etc

Perhaps something to think about

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dalsaan,

thanks for the tip.

Yeah I tried Glycine but it kept me awake. I've decided to go it alone where supplements are concerned.

Just like you, it's hit and miss with supplements for me. One day they work, next day they make no difference.

The temperature/hot flush problem has only come about in the last few days. I reckon it's come about because I'm not sleeping well. Last night I felt like I was burning up. But just tried to sit with the feeling and eventually, like all of them, it went away.

Who know's when it'll be back.

Sending you healing vibes Dalsaan, I hope you get some sleep soon - we should all start an insomnia club so when we're awake in the middle of the night we can keep each other company!

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Decrease to 19mg helped slightly.

What you have all said about overshooting the updose is making sense. I started sleeping much worse at about day 10 of the updose to 20mg.

It has deterieorated since that time.

Want to go down to 18mg.

Is it too soon?

• Moderator Emeritus

You've been at 19 mg. for only three days, so if I were you I'd hold on for at least a week. The more dosage changes you go through the more problems you'll have.

I see you were close to the end of tapering and that's usually when things get especially bumpy. Withdrawal itself is very bumpy and unpredictable, so don't freak out and think there's something wrong with you and/or you'll never get better. Believe me, most of us have been there and thought that - often over and over and over.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Did you go down to 19mg on March 13? You might give it a few days to make sure decrease is the right direction, then go down to 18mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you guys,

Yes Alto I went down to 19 mg on 13th.

Will give it a few more days and then try for 18.

Thanks for your help everyone

mwah!!

xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

Day #5 on 19 mg and the hot flushes are gone.

Sleep is no better. A new problem is arising:

I've been taking afternoon naps (only half an hour, just helps me get through the rest of the day). Now I can't even fall asleep because I'm getting these awful hypnic jerks.

Right now I'm trying to work out whether I'm overstimulated and need to go down more or just in garden variety withdrawal and need to hold my dose till whenever.

The hypnic jerks only came on in the last 2 days. So far only in the afternoon and not at night.

Currently not taking any supplements.

Any suggestions?

• Moderator Emeritus

i don't know Basil, but it kind of sounds like a bit of withdrawal from going down to 19 after being on 20mg for a month or so?

I haven't had a hypnic jerk for a while - i used to not mind them because it meant that i was dropping off and would usually go off soon after. I also seem to recall that i only got them when i was really tired.

How much sleep are you getting?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peggy,

Actually I was only on 20mg for 2 weeks before dropping to 19mg.

I'm averaging about 6.5 hours.

I know that sounds like quite a bit and I don't mean to trivialise the suffering that others (like you) are going through, as I know you guys survive on much less sleep than that and would consider 6.5 hours bliss - but before all this I could easily sleep 9-10 hours per night and never felt fully refreshed unless I got 10 hours.

Now I'd kill for 8 hours! I've always needed a lot of sleep - at least 9 hours and after I went on meds, 10 hours.

The jerks wouldn't be so bad if there were just one or two. But they're quite bad.

Don't know whether to hold at 19 or keep dropping.

• Moderator Emeritus

i would probably hold..

but who would listen to me LOL!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I would - you have a lot more experience in this game than I do:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling really desperate.

Hot flushes returned, can't sleep.

I just took half a valium, made no difference.

I have no idea what to do

• Administrator

You decreased to 19mg on March 12. Now that decrease has registered as steady-state in your bloodstream, so the emergence of the symptom pattern again makes sense.

Perhaps another decrease of 1mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto,

I was thinking the opposite!

I got 3 hours sleep last night and that was with the aid of a pill. To make matters worse I can't even nap during the day because of these awful body jerks.

My anxiety was through the roof last night, a constant hot flush and I honestly don't think I can keep going like this.

The drop has made things much worse, not better.

I was thinking of going back up to 20mg and staying put there indefinitely.

Your advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I feel I have just gone from bad to worse to even worse.

I am at breaking point and now I can't stop crying

• Moderator Emeritus

(((((hugs))))))

sorry you are feeling like this Basil - you won't break, it only feels like it.

Have you tried lactium? I bought the ethical nutrients one - it's called Stress and Anxiety relief. It says on the bottle to take on daily for stress or 2 twice daily for anxiety. I don't know if it helps me to sleep, but i really thing it does bring down the anxiety.

last night i took lactium at 5pm for anxiety and melatonin 3mg at 8pm before i went to bed. I was anxious about not sleeping, but fell asleep ok - only to wake up an hour later - then i tossed and turned and ruminated etc, so i took another melatonin and lactium. Slept until 5am.

This morning i don't have the horrible anxiety and depression of the last few days- much lower level, but still there.

• Administrator

I'm sorry, basil. Didn't the flushing go away when you decreased last time? And the first few days were better, with symptoms ramping up in the last 2 days?

To me, this indicates the decrease has been "loading." At first, it was a relief to your system, now it's reached steady-state, your system has accommodated, and it's registering as too much.

Figuring out which way to go, increase or decrease, is hard....all you can do is give it a try and see if it works.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Alto,

yes the flushing disappeared the day after I dropped to 19 but came back with a vengeance last night along with anxiety, body jerks, crying and desperate insomnia.

I'm just so scared I'm never going to sleep again and the anxiety makes it even worse.

My heart tells me to go back up to 20mg and just stay put.

I have to choose a dose and stay there. I think my CNS is so screwed up that even the slight decrease has been too much. I fear that if I decrease again I'll fall in a heap.

I'm almost there now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Peggy,

thanks for the hug:)

Yes I do have lactium.

I took it in the early hours once or twice. Only one capsule.

It's hard to say whether it worked.

• Administrator

It's up to you, of course. You're in a tough spot, I feel for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Peggy,

thanks for the hug:)

Yes I do have lactium.

I took it in the early hours once or twice. Only one capsule.

It's hard to say whether it worked.

try taking a lactium this morning - yesterday i think it really helped bring down my anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto.

Like you say all I can do is try. I've chosen to stick to 20mg.

Peggy, my anxiety comes more at night when I'm lying in bed thinking 'I'm never going to be normal again....' With the anxiety comes the hot flushes.

I'll try lactium again.

hugs xx

I have to apologize for never responding to your post, we are all hurting SOOOOOO badly and we need to hear from others who totally understand, I am with you, I feel what you are feeling and it SUCKS!!!!

Please know that I will be following along from here on out and will try to encourage you the best an INSANE person can, because thats how I feel. I think my brain has been fried and its like a burnt piece of bacon.

All I know is that I know nothing at all and this has been the worst year of my life. I am crawling towards recoveryt with Gods help.

Blessings, Lainey

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Lainey,

thanks so much for chiming in!

And no need to apologise. There are so many posts here, it's hard to keep up with it all isn't it?

You me are in a very similar position at the moment - both waiting for stabilization. It's sheer hell isn't it?

I take comfort in what Nikki wrote on your thread - that being on the meds for so long can alter our reaction to stabilization and it's not always the same. For example, in the past as SOON as I reinstated/updosed I felt the effects within 3 days. Not so this time.

It's been over 3 weeks and I'm still struggling.

Thanks for caring x

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello everyone,

Well it's been one month and one day since I updosed to 20 mg. I thought I would report on my progress (if you could call it that)

On 2/27 I updosed from 11mg to 20mg and stayed on that dose until 3/12.

Insomnia was the only withdrawal symptom. Bear in mind, when I talk about 'insomnia' I'm talking in relative terms to the amount of sleep I am used to getting when stabilized (10 hours per night - a lot, I know! - I use this as a benchmark). I know compared to many other people this would be considered relatively mild. But for me, not so much.

During that time I feel my sleeping got progressively worse in that initially I could fall asleep okay but woke at 4AM unable to return to sleep. As the days progressed I began having trouble falling and staying asleep. Overall I'd rate the duration and quality of sleep to be about 75% during this time.

on 3/13 I started getting hot flushes. These were intermittent during the day. So I dropped down to 19mg.

I stayed on 19mg for a total of 5 days, hot flushes got worse and finally worst sleep ever (4 hours) on the final day.

On 3/18 I returned to 20 mg and have been on this dose ever since.

Today, I feel safe to say that the hot flushes are a thing of the past. Have not had one in a week.

Sleeping improved to an average of 77% with one 8 hour 'window' where I fell asleep, stayed asleep and went back to sleep when I woke. AND the night before last I got 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep (meaning when I woke to go to the toilet I was able to fall back asleep).

Yesterday (after 9 hours sleep) I felt like I had won the lottery. Today, not so much. Last night I had trouble falling asleep and over all about 5 hours sleep. GRRRRR!!!!

So my question is: am I healing?

I have no idea. I think I delayed my healing by dropping to 19mg and by messing around with supplements (I take none now, as I feel I am hypersensitive).

I want to believe things will get better - but it's been a whole month. Insomnia got worse then a little better and now it seems I hit the skids again. Still, only insomnia, nothing else.

• Moderator Emeritus

From where I'm sitting reading your post it really does look like an improvement, we kind of expect improvement to come in a straight line going forward consistently but it doesn't seem to work like that, good days and not so good days/nights, but the hot flushes have gone and the sleep IS getting better overall.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

basil stay put.It has taken me several weeks, and alot of incouragement,to stay put.It has now been 3 months. Everything you are experiencing is familiar to me. I'm not sure if I will ever feel normal until this over. Celexa is the devils drug.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Administrator

Even after someone updoses, and it works, they may get waves and windows for a while.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Strawberry and Flower, for your kinds words.

Alto, my sleep seemed to be getting better but the last 2 nights has been terrible.

Is this common? By that I mean, is it common to feel a week of improving sleep and then go backwards?

I feel like I'm getting worse again.

• Administrator

That's a wave, b. It's always discouraging, but remember that you'll get windows, too.

• Moderator Emeritus

ta xx

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a wave, b. It's always discouraging, but remember that you'll get windows, too.

I had a wave that lasted nearly a month recently. I felt sure that I wasn't recovering, that I might not ever recover. About two weeks ago the wave broke and, while I'm still not fully recovered, the improvement is huge. It gives me a strange feeling now to look back at how hopeless things felt a few weeks ago. Needless to say, the window and wave pattern is extremely strange and very tricky psychologically. Don't get discouraged!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks pgd.

I'll try not to:)

I see you've been suffering for quite a while since updosing to 75mg in October last year.

I guess different people stabilize in different time frames. Only after reading some people's personal stories have I realised that it can take days, weeks or months.

will we stabilise????? I am better then I was but am not able to work still and still very anxious most of the day or just malaise feeling. the only time I have peace is when I sleep thats with .5 mg clonazepam and 200mgs magnesium. This is week 7 and I am really starting to worry that this isnt going to work.

Dr will be angry that I didnt increase like she told me to when I see her next week....UGH

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Lainey,

I believe we will. Like I said to you in your thread, your diet change is not to be ignored in this process.

As for your doctor, nobody has the right to make you updose if you don't want to. So hold your head high and don't feel obligated to explain yourself. It's your life and it's your body.

xx