ash -- escitalopram 5mg 7days for migraine and stopped

ash

hii everyone here.bad luck thats all i can say for my stupid case.so here what happened with me.

on 25th august i had a severe pulsating headache.it became unbearable so i decided to consult a doctor.he put me on escitalopram 5mg and said whenever your headache go away stop the medicine.i took it till 2 september and i found my headache just disappeared.so i just stopped it.but during the course i felt very low desire for sex(i thought it may be due to the headache).its been 55 days i am off the medicine and my current symptoms are as follows

1.anxiety(modrate not clear of trigger)

2.depression(modrate)

3.panic attack(modrate lasting 30 minutes)

4.headache(modrate to severe lasting hours)

5.dry mouth(improved)

now my biggest concern is about my sexual side effect.

usually me and my boyfriend use to have sex atleast once a week and i reaaly enjoyed each and every moment of it but now

last week we had sex and it was horrible.i didnt feel the touch ,i didnt feel the kiss,and the penitration was very very painful ,no desire i had .even i didnt had any organism.and it really hurt him a lot.so any one please help me out. i have read about the sexual side effect.but i was wondering if taking this medicines for such a short time and that to soo low in dose can cause this symptoms...why in the world such drugs been made..

is it a permanent feeling because i think it is gonna effect my relationship......

48 day of escitalopram...

symptoms mostly become modrate

sex desire is a bit increasing.headache is worse.

i cant find a particular pattern for the symptoms.but it has gone down.

hi ashley

your case seems to be same as that of mine.as far as my symptoms are concerned .they are gradually reducing

now you were on the drug for few days,it means that your system went into a shock and will take some time to recover. as alostara told me 'be patient' thats all what you can do right now.keep a record of your symptoms and notice the improvement. this way you will be able to keep yourself calm.i know what you are going thrgh right now..try to update your monthly progress.

as far as i think once your brain come back to its equilibrium again, you wont no longer face any kind of symptoms .but however it may take some time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi

Has your dr explored the cause of your headache? From memory this is why you went on the media in the first place wasn't it?

Withdrawal can cause headache and a range of other symptoms but if you had it before and it has returned I think it's worth investigating further.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

he said my headache is either due to tension or it can be migraine.

and yes i had such headaches earlier.but i never looked much into it.i heard of doctors prescribing ssri for migraine.but stopping the medicine suddenly will introduce withdrawal symptoms (a friend of mine told me).so do you think this is withdrawal effect specially the headache

• Moderator Emeritus

Ashley,

Please check your Personal Messages (PMs), which can be accessed at the upper right hand corner of any page by clicking on the first down arrow after your screen name and clicking on "Messages". Our administrator, Altostrata, is trying to get in touch with you. We are keeping your posts hidden from view until we hear from you.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Ash, some people are not suited to SSRIs and experience bad reactions very quickly; when they stop, they have symptoms identical to withdrawal symptoms.

This sounds like what's happened to you.

Withdrawal symptoms tend to go away with time. You need to stay calm and reduce stress as much as possible.

There are a few supplements which seem to help most people:

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you..i am experincing severe pain on

1.forhead

2.side of my ears

3.back of my head

this is not my typical migraine because i always have some sort of visual disturbances before headache atcually starts.

i am confused with it??can you just help me out with this

• Administrator

For some people, SSRIs are too powerful and they get bad reactions quickly from them.

This seems to be your situation.

I suggest the supplements I've listed above. Take a small amount of each separately and see if it helps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

yaah thanks am going to take them from tomarow,but dear i am off this medicine 2 months now ..so what is the explanation for my headache now. is it relapse???

• Administrator

shriraj, I have never heard of MOH.

ash, please try at least the magnesium. It can help different kinds of pain.

• 2 weeks later...

i had went to a phyciatist and told him what al is happening to me..he made some observations and said you had a potential to develop bipolar disorder and the medication just have started it so earlier..what is this bipolar disordee.and i dont think i ever had any kind of mental problem apart from my headache..is he right or just not admiting the drug side effect

• Moderator Emeritus

ash, diagnosing bipolar from a headache seems a bit extreme...

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

They can diagnose bipolar disorder in a ham sandwich!

ash, bipolar disorder is a diagnosis that's applied very frequently to people who don't have it. See http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/matter-personality/201204/how-recognize-bad-psychiatrist

If you go to a psychiatrist, you will almost always get a psychiatric diagnosis even if you don't have a psychiatric illness. This is one of the huge scandals in mental health today.