Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

Altostrata

Wow Cymbalta sounds like a really bad AD to go cold turkey on.  It’s so weird how Akathisia shows up later after quitting or making a big reduction.

it is comforting to hear that after TIME these things subside.

I try to make the best of it and redirect the movement into something not distressing.

I play guitar and sing and have find that helps me release this urge to move by moving with music. 

Of course I cannot play music in many situations and it is so weird trying to stand still and end up moving in strange ways.  I try to hide it in front of people and make up stuff to minimize by saying I have restless legs or something like that

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

I haven’t had true akathisia from withdrawal (only from Abilify) but I know it sucks,  sometimes I did have very bad restless legs though, epsoms salts baths always helped.  I mixed it pretty concentrated, 4 cups in “soaking” bath tub, adding half a cup of baking soda was nice as well....several drops of lavender essential oil even nicer.  Hang in there!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

@Meimeiquest, @RandyJames, @herod, @UnfoldingSky, @bunchesofoats, @powerback, @puthappinessfirst, @Kostas

I put @ your name here because some of you replied to my previous posts and I am in need of help and support....thanks ahead of time if you respond to this...

Good window bad window Akathisia 

I’m in a bad window.  Really bad. I have a wife and two kids.  my symptoms have gotten really bad.  

Me...
Prolonged antidepressant discontinuation symptoms. 

Slow and steady reduction. Last 2 months no change in med but experiencing an increase in Akathisia. 

(Apologies for jumping around and not organizing my thoughts better)

Does anyone know why this happens?  Doctors and psychiatry academic resources seem to be in the dark.

This makes my situation seem like my situation is unique or rare.  I think this alone makes me more distressed about this. The symptoms are one thing.  Thinking that the symptoms aren’t common and not getting any information is more harmful I think...My doctor says he has people who are on doses of SSRI that are too high get Akathisia and I’ve read about the antipsychotic induced Akathisia. 
But It seems to be getting worse and not better

Much of the time I am functioning. Enough to work. Not a choice my family depends on me. 

Unfortunately, I have fleeting thoughts about cutting my wrist with a really sharp knife or walking into incoming traffic.  I don’t want to do these things and I have never attempted nor planned. However, I am at a point that my symptoms of Akathisia are getting worse and I feel very hopeless.

I am NOT suicidal but I find these thoughts to be very unsettling. I do not share these thoughts with my doctor, therapist, or family members. Only people on this forum.

So maybe you can give me your opinion on my situation sugar coating not necessary. 

My Psychiatrist recommended neurofeedback therapy that includes stimulation of brain using small current. He means well but I don’t bet my life on his recommendations (for example he sent me to see Dr. the Amen clinic for my ADD to get a bogus brain scan that said I was brain damaged. 
Complete waste of $ that I don’t have)
Does anyone have any experience with this?? Please share good bad ugly.  I don’t want to be worse.

Use exercise as a way to manage. Having extreme jitters going to workout. The only time I feel calm and relaxed is if I am completely exhausted. 

I am still in parking lot going to gym after sending this. 

Yesterday I did my weights and stretching and went to do cardio.  Walking around the gym the Akathisia makes me move a little funny like I have a limp. 

Yesterday I tried to finish my workout but when I started my cardio.  The background music with thumping bass drove me nuts.  I got so pissed off. (I usually have not problem asking them to turn it down)

I am a mess

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

I'm so sorry. As far as I know, akathisia can come in windows and waves like all other WD symptoms, for no rhyme or reason. Sometimes meds, supplements, foods, stress, exercise (really anything) can trigger it, making it bad or worse or slightly better. It is a crap shoot it seems.

Some people battle with akathisia even after getting off all meds. It doesn't mean that it's forever, it just means it can be unpredictable, like any other WD symptom. I wish I had a definite answer for you... akathisia is one of the worse symptoms by far. I've experienced it and it is absolutely terrifying.

Just knowing that it gets better helps me. Also always having something to look forward to... a get together with friends, a class, reaching a new level in a game, reading more chapters in a book, talking to my therapist... ANYTHING positive that you can look forward to really. Oh and make sure you're not dehydrated. I chug electrolyte water and coconut water.

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

P.s.

That's funny you mentioned the Amen Clinic. I was just wondering about their work.

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

JB1234, I'm so sorry about the anguish you are experiencing. I am out of WD now, but I did experience the rocking back and forth at times of great emotional stress (the rocking is a self-soothing mechanism), as well as the thoughts of doing something to harm myself.

The machine you mention is called a theratapper, available online for about 100-130 $US. It's pretty simple technologically, and runs on batteries.

I use my therapist's sometimes during sessions when I'm feeling especially emotional, and it does help me to deal with the issues in a more calm and focused manner. He's lent it to me a couple of times, and it has helped to calm me as I meditate to music.

The science behind it, is that it stimulates both sides of the brain to engage in processing information and feelings. A rough approximation can be achieved by alternately tapping on your thighs while seated, or crossing your arms over your torso and alternately tapping each bicep.

I hope some of this is helpful.

3/2018: 10mg/day escalitopram; 10/19/18: blood tests revealed mild hypothyroidism & higher than normal cholesterol, so decided to discontinue by tapering off & reduced to 5mg/day; 11/11/18: reduced to approx. 2.5mg/day (inexact since using pill splitter). Resumed long-discontinued Solgar cal/mag/zinc but the exhaustion came back so will try to cut dosage. Taking a plethora of vits/minerals for many years; wondering whether some of what I'm on is causing the exhaustion that came on 3.5 yrs ago w/broken foot & never left. Discontinued 12/2/18. Each step down. Took 3 weeks to stabilize enough for next stage. A month out from discontinuation, I am symptom free except for occasional cognitive fog, and intermittent muscle soreness. 6 weeks out (1/19/19), feeling pretty good, a bit active bowel still and gym stamina back to 80% pre-medication levels.

I'm so sorry you're going through this man.  The akathisia was one of the worst things I've ever experienced.  It's such a uniquely unnatural feeling and so relentless.  There is literally no peace with it.  I thought it would last forever but it went away even before I went back on antidepressants.  It just sort of slowly became less intense and faded out.  I also thought a lot about ending it during that WD and recently with my current issues.  You are going to begin to feel better and you'll look back and remember those thoughts and be glad you didn't act on them.  

Do you think there is anyway that the Ritalin coupled with the Modafinil could be contributing to the akathisia at all?  Those are pretty speedy meds.  They told you that you had brain damage?  Have you had any scans done at a regular medical facility?  I just looked up the amen clinic and it seems like they are pretty controversial.  I got sucked into the same sort of thing during my WD.  I wound up at a place called the Holtdorf Clinic, a totally scammy alternative medicine clinic and they sent my bloodwork to Igenex Labs to see if I had Lyme disease.  It came back positive but I also saw numerous other doctors including an infectious disease doc at Stanford who explained that that they test pretty much everyone positive and by the way their tests work if you've ever had mono, Epstein bar or a bunch of other viruses that you can test positive. I had Mono as a kid for certain and my symptoms only popped up during withdrawal.  Their fees were amazingly high also.  

Just hang in there.  You are tapering off two really strong meds.  You'll get there.  

1994-2009 benzos from age 20 to 36.  Added Cymbalta 60mg in 2007.

2008-2009 tapered benzos to zero and quit Cymbalta Cold turkey.  WD HELL for two years

2011 started on Lexapro to combat the withdrawal and it worked.  

2015 switched to Prozac as Lexapro was not working as well

2017 quit Prozac cold turkey November and crashed into WD.  Reinstated Prozac In December with no benefit. 

2018 Switched back to Lexapro in January and it took most of the issues away in around 2-3 weeks

2019 In February Lexapro has pooped out and WD feelings back.  Tolerance WD I'm sure.

March 12th Upped my dose to 30 mgs per doctor's advice to see if Tolerance WD goes away but have had worsening sleep issues with limbs jerking and less sleep.

March 17th dropped back down to 20 mgs and had less limb jerking last night but sleep no better.  

April 20th cut to 18mg.            

I so wish I had some solid advice to give you! I haven't experienced akathisia myself (at least not in an obvious way, though I do rock back and forth sometimes and am kind of a fidgety person). I do have experience with neurofeedback and don't recommend it. It wasn't helpful at all, it affected me in a bunch of weird ways, and I ultimately kind of regret it because, like medication, it put me further out of touch with myself and threw me for what were probably some unnecessary loops. I also know a couple people who've gone to the Amen clinic and I too concluded it seems like a waste of money. Cursory internet research (read: wikipedia) shows some non-psychiatric solutions like vitamin b6 and beta blockers. I wonder if the ritalin and modafinil dosages need to be lowered as you taper off the anxiolytics? They may be over stimulating your nervous system. I really wish I could confidently point you in a helpful direction. 

2005 - 2016 on & off methylphenidate and bupropion; short terms trials of other medications; tried many supplements

2016 Nov - 2017 Mar citalopram ramp up 0-->30mg (4 months)

2017 Mar - 2018 Jan held at 30mg (11months); taking 1.5x 20mg tablets, cutting 20mg tablets in half. inconsistency in split tablet led to extreme side effects.

2018 Feb - 2018 May taper 30mg-->20mg (3months), ~2.5mg/month, cutting tablets; at 20mg side effects (vertigo, headache, etc) disappeared

2018 May - 2019 Apr held at 20mg (11months); attempted taper from 20mg; tried ~17.5mg cutting tablets but symptoms too strong

2019 Apr - 2021 Jun tapered 20mg-->10mg (26months); ~5%/month dissolving tablets in water and pipetting with syringe; min lorazepam 2-3x/mo to mitigate symptoms

2021 Jun - 2023 Nov held at 10mg (29months)

2023 Nov - Nov 7 10mg solid to liquid; Dec 7 liquid 10mg; Dec 14 9.9mg; Dec 21 9.8mg; Dec 28 9.75mg; Jan 27 9.65mg; Feb 3 9.53mg; Feb 18 9.45mg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Hi JB,

Very sorry as well to read of your recent akathisia flare-up, I know how tough that must be. I read part of your intro thread and it sounds like your Celexa taper was a bit too fast.  That may explain why you feel so bad now, as sometimes it takes time for the taper to catch up with a person.  I could be wrong, as others have suggested it may be something about the other pills you are on.  I don't know a lot about most of those except benzos. 

I would talk to the mods and see what they recommend you do going forward.  Also don't worry, I'm sure there will be a way through this.  Given people have recovered from cold turkeys I know it is possible for you to recover too.

Oh and yeah, the bass at the gym, that would be hard to deal with while having aka for sure.  You might try changing things up for a bit, maybe instead of the gym go for a walk in a quiet area.  When my sound sensitivity was at its worst there would have been no way I could manage going to a gym.  It will get better though in time.

Keep posting and let us know how you are.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I'm so sorry man. I can tell you that I was also having thoughts of suicide for the past month because of the agony of akathisia. But the last few days is the first time I've been able to sleep during the night in 6 months. Our timelines are different, but the truth is that we WILL heal. There will be a moment in time when you will look back on all this and feel relieved that you no longer have to deal with this anymore. It may not be today, and it may not be next month. But the time WILL come.

The fact that you're making it to the gym shows that you have control over your situation. Time advances all on its own, all you have to do is persevere. But I agree with the poster above, maybe there is better recreational activity for you than the gym if the noise gets on your nerves.

- March 2017: 50mg Sertraline starts

- August 2017: up to 100mg

- February 2018: down to 50mg

- November 2018: one-week taper down to 0mg

Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate knowing that others are experiencing similar challenges.  I hope that your sleep continues to improve 

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

21 hours ago, puthappinessfirst said:

P.s.

That's funny you mentioned the Amen Clinic. I was just wondering about their work.

Hi thanks for your words of encouragement. It is a strange feeling and it took me a while to attach this need to move to the withdrawal symptoms. I am doing my best to go with the flow.  Yes the Amen clinic is a quackery thing.  I am not brain damaged and have had scans and tests to confirm that. Dr. Amen has his wife doing ADHD friendly recipes and you can buy them at his prestigious clinic

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

• Mentor

The akesthisia sounds horrible. I’ve had that before in an acute sense as an allergic reaction to benadryl. It’s awful. I kept flopping up and down in the bed like the exorcist. Just try to be in the moment as best you can. Some of what makes those states so horrible are the thoughts, “what if this doesn’t get better?!” “Why can’t I stop this?!” blah blah blah. Be in the moment and ask yourself, “Is this moment, with me pacing, bearable?” If it is, then just be in the moment. A lot of times I find if I soften inside and stop fighting my experience, it is an effective strategy.

Scary thoughts are difficult, and they are even more difficult when you’re depressed. I’ve had scary thoughts both when I’m depressed and when I’m not.

I feel like it’s my response to the thoughts that kind of solidifies and reinforces them and makes them even scarier and more likely to persist. I remind myself that thoughts themselves can’t hurt me. Thoughts themselves are actually neutral phenomena; it’s the meaning that we ascribe to them that makes them “good” “bad” or “scary.” It’s just the brain doing its job, trying to get your attention because it's upset. I try to think of it as a brain hiccup or sneeze. Totally neutral. I find it helps a lot. The more it hooks me into an emotional response the more it persists and I am vulnerable to spiraling down. It’s a lot easier said than done, but when I can respond in this way, it does help.  

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

Thanks for your response. I’m sorry but I am noticing my replies are not being saved 

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

I wrote this earlier 

Thanks @ShiningLight thanks for chiming in.  Talking about this stuff is super important.  It’s easier to ride the waves knowing others share the same experience.  I haven’t changed medication for sometime because I don’t feel stable.  Ironically one month ago I felt better physically and mentally. My wife noticed the past 2-3 weeks in particular me looking very fatigued irritable and not well. This is when the Akathisia stuff began.  It think I got on this forum when I started having more intense symptoms. She seems to think I am overly obsessed with symptoms and that since I have been participating on this forum that my symptoms have worsened.  I don’t know!  I just know i want to get better 

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

18 hours ago, JB1234 said:

She seems to think I am overly obsessed with symptoms and that since I have been participating on this forum that my symptoms have worsened.  I don’t know!  I just know i want to get better 

With my own OCD diagnosis (which sent me to Prozac which sent me to akathisia), I get this a lot. “Just stop obsessing and getting so agitated, you’ll be fine”

🙃

Ah yes, if it were that easy...the agitation is the exact thing I wish to get rid of...The truth is that akathisia is a really intense state. It’s very hard to do much else besides be in it. It’s an all consuming restlessness. However, you can distract. There’s no turning it off, but I find things I can do to pass the time. Because of course, I don’t want to be obsessing either.

So yes, getting off the forums for a long walk or something is a good thing. But the forums aren’t the *reason* you feel like this. Hang in there.

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

Hi @bheb that’s for telling me that.  I think OCD might be hereditary to some extent as my brother has had that and I have had severe anxiety and both of us did find some relief in Prozac.  In fact the only reason I remember switching to Celexa from Prozac years ago was due to sexual side effects... back to what you were saying about the Akathisia and being in the moment despite the extreme discomfort.  This is exactly what I need to do. If I am better at identifying that I am not going insane and that I am feeling this way because of something that has a name then it’s easier to separate this experience as being something temporary and passing ... and being something tied to me being an awful person 

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

JB, I think the modafinal/Ritalin thread might be worth looking into.  I took a dose of Nuvigil (which was heavenly on first dose and I would accommodate to very quickly after) after a certain reduction in meds and experienced huge anxiety and tachycardia which persisted for some time.  Just remember not to make any drastic changes!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks Meimeiquest,

I have taken Modafinil for years as well as ritalin.  I did not have these problems previously before tapering my SSRI.   However, I am going to continue looking into it as it’s quite possibly making my symptoms worse. Maybe I can try cutting my dose.

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

• 4 weeks later...

If it makes you feel any better my (albeit fairly 'mild' ) akathisia came on a couple of months after my last dose and hung around for a few months (in patches) and dissapated into what I call 'leg tension'. Its pretty unpleasant but its an order of magnitude less bad then dreadful akathisia. Everything ive read about peoples experiences implies that it does seem to get better for the vast majority. Just be kind to your CNS, dont over stimulate your self. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

• 2 weeks later...

@JB1234 , how are you doing? I'm no longer able to sleep during the night lol. My nighttime akathisia returned, although I'm seeing improvements in other areas so I'm not too concerned.

- March 2017: 50mg Sertraline starts

- August 2017: up to 100mg

- February 2018: down to 50mg

- November 2018: one-week taper down to 0mg

Is akathesia considered a movement disorder like tardive dyskinesia? Because I heard it's only a movement disorder when there's involuntary movements. Also could you have this symptom coming off any psychiatric medication?

I think I have akathesia but am not 100% sure. For me it's a discomfort that's relieved my moving . Even when I'm just laying in bed.

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

some of them I can't remember doses for. 

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

supplements- magnesium 250mg, and 2 omega 3's. 

• Administrator

No, akathisia is not considered a movement disorder. See Tardive dyskinesia or involuntary movements

Tongue symptoms of antipsychotics

Withdrawal syndrome commonly causes muscle tension that some people might mistake for restless legs syndrome (RLS) or perhaps akathisia.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you -- very rarely, people react poorly to one or both supplements.

The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil often have a soothing or calming effect on the nervous system.

Magnesium in particular can relieve tight muscles and that restless leg-type feeling. It's best taken in small amounts throughout the day, or you can rub on "magnesium oil" where you have aches.

I found calf stretching to be essential to control my restless leg -type symptoms and leg and foot cramps.

These topics might also be helpful for symptoms that are akathisia-like

Inactivity may make sympathetic nervous system hypersensitive...

Weighted blankets & bed tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia, and anxiety

Acupuncture

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

When withdrawal is over does the aka usually leave with it and not re appear? Or is it something that will just continue to come and go throughout your life? 

Originally at 100 mg Zoloft and 150 mg xl Wellbutrin for ten years. 

Abruptly dropped 50 mg of Zoloft April 2018.

Cut Wellbutrin in half (75 mg) for a month in December 2018.

Cold turkeyed Wellbutrin January 2019.

Reinstated Wellbutrin half of 150 xl (75 mg) in January 2019 and added Xanax.

ER visit iv of 5 mg Haloperidol.

Finished Xanax taper, cold turkeyed Wellbutrin February 2019 and added 10 mg buspar twice daily.

Tapering buspar

50 mg Zoloft at 10:00 am

2.5 mg buspar at 9:00 pm 

On 7/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, Hannahe said:

When withdrawal is over does the aka usually leave with it and not re appear? Or is it something that will just continue to come and go throughout your life? 

When withdrawal is over so will all symptoms disappear. Had akathisia the first year and a bit into second year. Akathisia followed the norm of windows and waves before it completely disappeard. This symptom have a clear bound to psychiatric drugs.

-2012  January started Olanzapine 5mg, 7mg, 10mg, 25mg (2 months), 10mg (long time),5mg.

-2016 June 15th quit Olanzapine from 5mg to 0mg CT.

Other drugs; Imovane,Theralene, Propavane, Stesodil, which I took when I needed to. Quit them w/o trouble late 2015.

9 minutes ago, Mewmewkitty said:

When withdrawal is over so will all symptoms disappear. Had akathisia the first year and a bit into second year. Akathisia followed the norm of windows and waves before it completely disappeard. This symptom have a clear bound to psychiatric drugs.

Thank you for your response. I am hoping I can somehow stabilize on the doses I am on without anymore aka, so I can taper properly. I just hope this doesn’t reappear.  

Finished Xanax taper, cold turkeyed Wellbutrin February 2019 and added 10 mg buspar twice daily.

Tapering buspar

I was going to give this lotion a try for my restless, bothersome legs.   What does everyone think? are the herbal remedies in it a bad idea?  would I be better off with a magnesium spray? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FHVZG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9/2018- lexapro low dose few days.11/3/2018- zoloft 2 days

11/7/18  - 11/15/18 - Prozac 9 days, from 10 mg for week, to 20

11/16  inpatient put on Lexapro for a few days, Cymbalta, 2 days

11/24-12/8 - gabapentin 100 mg 3xs per day - a very fast taper

1/7 - tbuspar for  three days- blurry vision, jerky eye

1/17/19 - 2/15/19- mirtazapine 15 mg - started taper on 1/30 

2/20/19 gabapentin 600 mg. .  12/20-  taper finished

2/20/19 - seroquel 25 mg current - taken  10 pm

2/20/19- luvox (generic) 25 mg.  4/6/19  to 18.75 mg .held  . Started taper again  1/7/21- 15 mg, 2/7/21- 12.5 mg, 3/7/21 -10 mg, 4/1/21- 9 mg, 5/1/21- 8.1 mg, 5/27/21- updose to 10 mg,  6/21-  in patient updose to 50 mg,  6/25/21- reduce to 10 mg (current) .  9/5- split dose 5mg am/5 mg pm.  9/20- 4 mg am/5 mg pm . 

9/1/21-  took one dose of vistril 50 mg.   

9/1/21-accidental double dose of seroquel- 50 mg 

I feel like I’m getting a lot of mixed info on akathisia. I know that there are many who are not even aware that this exists, unfortunately. There’s some who say it goes away without reappearance, then there are some who believe once your genetics click it on, you will be susceptible to it for the rest of your life, and then there are people who believe it is permanent. I am not sure what is correct here. This is such a stressing symptom, I want to have the right info. I am sure it can be different for different people. I guess maybe we just don’t know enough yet? I can’t imagine living this way forever or it getting worse.

Tapering buspar

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Hannahe said:

I am sure it can be different for different people. I guess maybe we just don’t know enough yet?

I think you have answered this yourself.  The way Alto describes it (not just akathisia but everything related to psychiatric drugs) is that we are all an experiment where N=1.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I think you have answered this yourself.  The way Alto describes it (not just akathisia but everything related to psychiatric drugs) is that we are all an experiment where N=1.

Man 😞 well there are people who have recovered from it who have not gotten it again, right? I know we see success stories, but do we just assume they are good if they haven’t been back here? 

Tapering buspar

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, Hannahe said:

do we just assume they are good if they haven’t been back here? 

We just don't know.  There are many unanswerable questions that we have during our life times.  We have to learn how to accept that there are things that we just cannot get an answer to.  If you keep trying to find an answer to a question that cannot be answered you will just keep yourself in a constant state of anxiety.

Acceptance

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

11 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

We just don't know.  There are many unanswerable questions that we have during our life times.  We have to learn how to accept that there are things that we just cannot get an answer to.  If you keep trying to find an answer to a question that cannot be answered you will just keep yourself in a constant state of anxiety.

Acceptance

Yeah... You’re right. I just don’t want to be stuck like this forever. 

Tapering buspar

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to get old.

7 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I don't want to get old.

You are only as old as you believe 🙂 

Tapering buspar

• 1 month later...

@JB1234 

The self-harm thoughts that pop up and end up scaring you, because as you say yourself you do NOT want to harm yourself, are EXTREMELY COMMON intrusive thoughts that many OCD sufferers experience. It scares the hell out of you because it is completely against your nature and anything you would ever actually want to do. That is the nature of intrusive thoughts, it’s like your mind finds the things that would terrify you the most and starts throwing them at you. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help address these issues, as I am currently finding myself. 

ANTI-DEPRESSANTS (approximates):

2000--2009/10. Zoloft, mid-high dosage. Alprazolam, as needed, rarely. 

2009/10--2016/17. Cymbalta, 90 mg

Early 2017--Mid-2017. Cymbalta, 60 mg

Mid-2017--Jan 2018. Cymbalta, 30--60 mg, reduced in 30 mg increments w/o physical w/d symptoms, possibly some emotional w/d symptoms. Mar 2018--Early 2019. Back on Cymbalta, fluctuating dosages from 30 to 90mg. Reduced from 60 to 30, then from 30 to 0 again, this time WITH very light physical w/d symptoms. Back to 30mg. Early 2019--April 2019. Cymbalta, 30mg. Down from 30 to 0. Physical w/d symptoms again. Back to 30mg. May 2019. Cymbalta 30 mg. Down to 20 mid-month. Started taking every other day in final week of the month. 

Jun 2019. Cymbalta 10-ish mg. Started “eyeballing” about half of the beads in the capsule. Taking every other day, then at mid-month every 4 days. 

July 2, 2019. Took last dose of “eyeballed” 5-ish mg. July 24, 2019. Took first reinstatement dose of 2mg. Dropped down to 1mg (6 beads) the very next day.

Aug 6, 2019. Up-dose to 1.33 mg. Aug 30, 2019. Up-dose to 1.5 mg. 

SUPPLEMENTS

Vitamin D3 4,000 IU/day

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy