Lyrica (pregabalin) for pain?

Shanti

How hard is Lyrica to come off of compared to Benzos and ADs? I got a script for one and I'm desperate enough to try it if it's not too tough. I never had too tough a time with Neurontin. I just really have to do something about the painful neuropathy and I'm out of options.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

How hard is Lyrica to come off of compared to Benzos and ADs? I got a script for one and I'm desperate enough to try it if it's not too tough. I never had too tough a time with Neurontin. I just really have to do something about the painful neuropathy and I'm out of options.

That's a big question. Lyrica helps with parasthesia. I was on a higher dose than I needed, and now 3 yrs out I'm crawling off because I got stuck at 300 mgs. The only person so tapering on this site as far as I know. You might want to peruse my intro thread as you will find plenty there. Btw.. I may never come completely off Lyrica because it does help, but will see about holding on something at or less than 50 mgs. Need to run that by Alto.. but one thing at a time. I'm now at 192 mgs and tapering one slow mg after the other.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks Schuyler. I might go ahead a try it, as I'm not seeing much about it with w/d, aside from your experience. And your nervous system was probably already frazzled. What about weight gain?

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Schuyler. I might go ahead a try it, as I'm not seeing much about it with w/d, aside from your experience. And your nervous system was probably already frazzled. What about weight gain?

My nervous system did not rebel until I had hoped on and off a couple of times over 3 years, and I was tapering benzos for the totality. There is withdrawal, believe that. But don't not take it because this is so. Ask Alto for guidance on a good working dosage. And don't get caught out on a high dose. My tale is not a solitary one, Lyrica is a psychotropic and all psychotropics will cause withdrawal issues, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. When people go off suddenly, they have rebound pain (THAT I had each time). The pain on discontinuation is said to be proof people need to stay on for life.. the rebound pain shows they really need it. Sound familiar? It's all documented in my thread, the pros, the cons, and the angst.

The most prominent side effect is impaired memory. While on, I gained 40 lbs, and while on I lost 60. It's been a battle and I'll be ever so glad not to be subjected to constant food cravings when the dose gets around 50mgs. Memory issues will be better to as they are dose dependent. Lyrica is a heavy drug, no two ways about it.

I was told, just as I'm telling you, and because I was in pain, I chose not to listen. Don't not try it... but go for the lowest possible dose that will control pain, and again, ask Alto for her advice.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I was just looking at some forums and they are saying the same thing about the rebound pain. And a lot of people say they gained weight. I'm bummed. I'm not going to take it. I'm still battling the weight I gained from Geodon. The last thing I need is something else that adds pounds. Thanks for your help Shuyler.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I was just looking at some forums and they are saying the same thing about the rebound pain. And a lot of people say they gained weight. I'm bummed. I'm not going to take it. I'm still battling the weight I gained from Geodon. The last thing I need is something else that adds pounds. Thanks for your help Schuyler.

I suspect the weight gain profile is similar to Geodon.. The side effects are dose dependent, the higher it is, the more you have.. ask Alto for some help in figuring out the lowest possible dose. The lower the effective dose you can take, the more likely you are to be able to stay on. All the best.

• Administrator

Shanti, Lyrica has the same withdrawal problems as any other psychotropic.

I took a very low dose for a while, for sleep, which is how I know so much about titrating.

If I were you, I'd take the lowest effective dose. For you, the lowest effective dose might be less than the smallest capsule, 25mg. Find out what works by slowly titrating up every week or so. For titration tips, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2381-tips-for-tapering-off-lyrica-pregabalin/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto. I'll try titrating it like you said. My doctor did suggest titrating it since I didn't handle the Neurontin. I decided it's worth the try and I'll watch my weight very closely, and my appetite, see if I can handle it.

I finally got a referral to a Neurologist. As right this moment my feet and lower legs feel like I've walked 10 miles yet I've done nothing. And the pain... ugh. The Vicodin just doesn't cut it anymore.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I suspect the weight gain profile is similar to Geodon.. The side effects are dose dependent, the higher it is, the more you have.. ask Alto for some help in figuring out the lowest possible dose. The lower the effective dose you can take, the more likely you are to be able to stay on. All the best.

Did you have really bad cravings? When I was on Geodon, All I wanted was brown sugar and I was eating it by the bagful! I gained about 30 pounds in 2 months. I didn't know that was possible. Now I know, that if I crave something that intensely that I'll back off.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

You may want to make a liquid with the Lyrica and try maybe 10mg or 12.5mg first, rather than starting at 25mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alright. I'm used to making liquid meds now lol. It would be great if only 12.5 mg did the trick.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you have really bad cravings? When I was on Geodon, All I wanted was brown sugar and I was eating it by the bagful! I gained about 30 pounds in 2 months. I didn't know that was possible. Now I know, that if I crave something that intensely that I'll back off.

They are controllable as long as I stick to a low carb diet.. which of course is a twofer as I've been able to keep the weight off by staying on said. Part of the poundage I lost was when on 300 mgs of Lyrica, dropping an average of 6 lbs a month. Somehow I turned my mind off and stuck to a 1,000 cal diet.

You should not have cravings at 25 mgs or under, even 50 mgs or under. I craved at 150 mgs, and I'm looking forward to hitting the 100 mg wall because of that. Cravings seemed to be less at 75 mgs.. I wish a higher dose had not seemed betterz.

Shanti... if you get your carb intake down, you won't have the cravings. IMHO, you have to be eating carbs to go off the rails. Okay... confession, when on a low carb diet I binged on celery or cucumbers (with 0 cal dressing, etc), but you can't get into too much trouble even if you eat 'the whole thing'... Posted Image

I just saw this, Shanti. I don't have any input regarding Lyrica.

I recall you recently had a rhizotomy that was helping with pain. Is this a different type if pain?

I'm sorry you're suffering. I hope something is helping.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barb. Thank you. The procedure was on my spine for my back. It helped a lot. The Lyrica is for neuropathy. I'm also having sciatic nerve pain in the left leg that I hope helps it.

The topic says Lyrica (gabapentin), but Gabapentin is Neurontin. Lyrica is Pregabalin.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Right you are, thanks, Shanti.

• Moderator Emeritus

Right you are, thanks, Shanti.

Alto... how much similarity is there between lamactil, lyrica and neurontin (short answer). I get confused!!!! Is there an article or two you can recommend?

• Administrator

Check Wikipedia. Lyrica and Neurontin are related. Lamictal is not. All are anti-seizure medications.

• Moderator Emeritus

Check Wikipedia. Lyrica and Neurontin are related. Lamictal is not. All are anti-seizure medications.

Thanks Alto.. I did read up in Wikipedia. What confuses me is you cross tapered from Lyrica onto lamactil... Why would this work if the meds are not related? And is lamactil more difficult to taper than Lyrica. One psychotropic is as bad as the next when one is sufficiently sensitized, but it seems like with some of the anticonvlsants, not quite so much?

Have you been able to made any cuts in the small amount of lamactil you are still on?

• Administrator

No, I did not taper from Lyrica to Lamictal, or vice versa. I was being treated with both simultaneously.

I've had to taper carefully off Lamictal. As I was taking only 9mg Lyrica once a day, I stopped it one day and had no problems after that. I can't say I had the full Lyrica withdrawal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

No, I did not taper from Lyrica to Lamictal, or vice versa. I was being treated with both simultaneously.

Ohhhh, that little 'detail' was the source of my confusion.Posted Image

I've had to taper carefully off Lamictal. As I was taking only 9mg Lyrica once a day, I stopped it one day and had no problems after that. I can't say I had the full Lyrica withdrawal experience.

LOL.. stay tuned! and Thanks for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't react well with the Lyrica at all! I was only on it for three days. It made my legs ache like crazy, I was very dizzy, I felt feverish like the flue, I felt like I was starving to death, and it flared up withdrawal symptoms like buzzing and zapping. I guess I just can't handle ANYTHING but Vicodin.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't react well with the Lyrica at all! I was only on it for three days. It made my legs ache like crazy, I was very dizzy, I felt feverish like the flue, I felt like I was starving to death, and it flared up withdrawal symptoms like buzzing and zapping. I guess I just can't handle ANYTHING but Vicodin.

WOW... I had none of those symptoms. Sorry it did not work out Shanti

• Administrator

How much did you take, Shanti?

I threw away the bottle. I think it was 50 mg. I took it once a day.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Could have been too high a dosage for you. I think you should assume you're hypersensitive.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy