SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Azgirl-Fed up with meds

Azgirl

When tapering off a SSRI has anyone ever experienced manic like symptoms?  This happened the first two days of the taper, I was not physically energetic but I was more talkative and doing a lot of reading and 'busy work" whereas most of the time I've been suffering through bad anhedonia and apathy.  I thought celexa was stimulating so I was surprised that I would feel MORE stimulated when reducing it.

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• Administrator

Yes, mania or hypomania are recognized withdrawal symptoms. You may wish to taper by a smaller amount.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I know this forum is  great resource, I have spent hours reading every topic, I understand the importance of a slow taper

But what happens when going back up in dose no longer works?  What happens when you can't reach a place of stability no matter if you taper VERY slowly or resume the original dose? 

Withdrawal symptoms are surely going to suck, but what if taking the dose each day is making you sicker?

I'm not talking just zaps and nausea, anxiety..what about disabling symptoms?  And what happens when you're at this purgatory hell when you can no longer eat, sleep, or make rational decisions, and spend the days watching the minutes on the clock pass by hoping you don't throw yourself in front of a car to make it stop?

And when the benzo that 'should' curb some of the full blown anxiety and panic is working paradoxically? 

is it then time to bite the leather and consider a washout? 

Currently waiting for the doctor to call back to consider switching me to valium instead of clonazepam, because I know if I go up on dose it will crap out in a few days and then I'll have a bigger issue.  Valium as I understand has a longer half life and is rumored to have a smoother transition allowing GABA to mend.  Or something.  I'm shaking so bad I can barely type.

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Azgirl...I personally lived in that hellish limbo for over a year as I finished my taper. Sometimes we don't know but it did seem to me when I sped things up I got even deeper into ugly hell...and so I did continue tapering slowly in hell...and I got worse for a time too...but washout sent me into realms of hell so ugly I stuck out the getting worse without the washout. I attempted that sort of thing twice...it was NOT GOOD.

We don't always have answers to these questions...and some of us visit places no human being should ever have to visit in our withdrawal process.

I hope you find a solution that allows you to trust that you are doing what is right. 

Medically necessary as far as most of us are concerned here on this board only means when one is facing imminent death...sadly facing torture generally doesn't count...and in fact we risk more torture by suddenly stopping. I found that contrary to the popular saying "it can't get any worse" -- well, it almost always can, and when we're as sick as we get that is an astonishing thing to find out...the depths of suffering a human being can go into...really astonishing. 

I'm sorry you're in this hell...I do know it well and I am out the other side...still getting better but a long way from the ugliest hell I visited.

Hang on. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I sympathize with the awful position you are in, azgirl. I wish I had the answer for you but I don't. It sounds like you really want someone to say it will be okay to change things up rapidly but I think you know that any of us who say that are just typing words and wouldn't actually know if it will be okay. I know if I knew what would make you feel better, I'd just tell you.

IMO it's really dangerous to make very drastic changes while experiencing extreme symptoms because the misery becomes so bad that people will jump on any lead or hint of a solution regardless of whether the solution is legitimate or not.

What do you have in mind for a 'washout'? Also my experience with diazepam was very negative and I wish I'd never switched, for whatever that might be worth to you right now. And I see you took percocet in the past? Are you taking pain medication currently? Drinking alcohol or smoking marijuana?

If I was to give any advice for the right now, it'd be to log everyday what you are doing when your symptoms are worse. Where are you. What have you eaten. What are the things causing you anxiety, when did these topics cause anxiety in the past for you and so on... Every little bit of data can help you find connections because, in my case at least, symptoms have been connected with each other and with the inputs but the connections are very hard to see when I am feeling so poorly.

Lastly, I really agree with what Gia about things getting worse. Until you are not with us anymore, things can still get worse... This is a very important concept to understand. For instance if you run off screaming into the street and are struck by a motorist and you lose your leg you will not have solved any of your present problems but will also be without a leg and things are still not at their darkest as you still have the other leg...

Hopefully that is not too morose an image but I think that minimizing your risk to not make things worse is one of the very most important things you can do...

best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thank you guys, I'm still here.  Wake me when it's over?  I feel badly because my experience has been rather short compared to many others who have already suffered through years of this.

Very sleepy right now so will post more when I'm alert.

I'm looking forward to getting through this and being able to help others through the ring of fire, as you all do now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad and just want to send a cyber hug, I'm 

feeling pretty grim myself too right now but hanging on to the fact that however bad it gets,

in the end it WILL get better. Some diseases can take years of gruelling treatment

but you keep going with it because if you don't you could face death or much much worse

symptoms. We know that if we stick it out for however long it takes we WiLL get better. 

I thought about that earlier today when I thinking the same as you, I was considering stopping

the drugs right now and getting it over with but I've been doing this for too long to throw it away

now and go into full blown withdrawal that can take years to come out of. 

Hang in there Azgirl, together we can do it and come out the other side thanks to Alto, Gia, Rhi

and ALL the others who have done it before us and come out the other side. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Now that I'm able to think more rationale, it makes perfect sense.  I get in the throes of serious distress and look anywhere for a life jacket. 

The reason I brought this up was because during the Seroquel/Percocet/wellbutrin simultaneous withdrawal mess, I got really sick with the flu, it wiped out half our office staff.  I was throwing up so much that I couldn't keep water down, the meds would come right back up too..even if some of them were being absorbed it tossed out an unintended too-rapid taper, pretty much a cold turkey.  Living hell doesn't come close to describing it.  When I was able to resume a small dose of wellbutrin, within an hour of taking it I was throwing up again (sorry for the visual).  My body was rejecting food, water, meds, I lost a lot of weight. 

This past week I was fortunate enough (ha) to get food poisoning so once again I was not able to keep anything down.  Alex, yes I keep a very strict journal of diet, sleep, what I'm taking, what time, what I ate, what's going on with life, etc.  I saw the pattern that within 45 minutes of taking the small dose of celexa I would get so severely agitated that I'd shake, develop a headache, and of course any food I tried to ingest would come back up.  The poisoning was rocking an already shaky place .

I know in certain cases some folks have to come off the meds very fast if they have an allergic reaction or like in the case of Lamictal the rash.  The flu and the food poisoning was not so much an extreme medical emergency but not being able to keep the meds down (or not really knowing how much was absorbed along with dehydration and malnourishment) resulted in some kind of taper..I didn't like it at all. 

I'm able to keep smoothies down so will hold again..and will report back to my intro thread as it's serving as a diary of hell and coming to meet you all on the other side. 

Hi all, I started a topic about 'washout' on the taper forum, here's the link.  Came back to this thread to keep updated..too tired to reiterate what was said.

have had a very bad time with appetite and insomnia again, of course the psych wanted to try trazadone and I told him no way.  Instead I contacted my PCP who is very open to helping and tapering slow.  He agreed the Ashton method was worth a try since my current dose of clonazepam has had an opposite effect.  However I'm not doing the full Ashton way of starting an antidepressant.

I'm currently on 2mg liquid formula remeron/mirtazapine, 5 mg celexa, and we are doing a slow cautious crossover to Valium.  My first night I was sedated..how I can compare them is that clonazepam , when it worked, would be like a light switch, it would turn off and suddenly I was asleep.  The valium, even at a tiny dose, was a smoother onset.  The first morning after valium I was sedated feeling until about 10 am and then the agitation started to creep back in.  But not nearly as bad.  Last night was less sedating and I'm more alert today.  Its' like taking a big deep breath of air before heading back underwater.  This longer half life that the valium has seems to be helping immensely, even if it's short term..it's a much smoother ride instead of the jump off the cliff feeling I had with clonazepam. 

Guess what? Music helps, as long as it's playing I don't focus as much on feeling lousy.

Alto I hope you are feeling better, you are amazingly strong to be here helping us.

• Moderator Emeritus

Music is good, and so are many other distractions such as playing computer games, reading interesting but pleasant books, et cetera.  One thing that seems to be common in withdrawal is brooding and ruminating on how awful we feel and getting anxious about how long it will take to be well again, so getting one's mind off of that is helpful.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

Jemima so true, I'm exhausted over feeling crappy and waiting for windows :)

For the last couple of weeks I've experienced agitation and brain zaps within an hour of taking the celexa, I was down to 5 mg.

Three days ago I stopped taking the morning dose and the agitation has subsided with barely any brain zaps at all.

I know I may be trying to be hopeful but I definitely feel better, and also a bit of momentum that an obstacle may have been crossed.

That's why I started the topic about a faster taper or washout.  Not that I'm condoning it, I did go very slow with the celexa wd.

But I noticed the same thing when I was tapering off wellbutrin, that the last few mg's were making me very ill..and when I stopped,

the illness stopped too.  I can hardly believe I was suicidal a few weeks ago .. I know a lot of it has to do with putting in notice at work.

Tried to battle this mess while staying employed but eventually decided to call it quits. I have renewed hope and quite possibly a

kindling of energy again. 

So happy for you - it sounds like you are feeling really well.  It must feel so good to feel hopeful and energetic - that is wonderful!!

Your post brings me hope that one day I can feel this way too.  :)

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

When tapering off a SSRI has anyone ever experienced manic like symptoms?  This happened the first two days of the taper, I was not physically energetic but I was more talkative and doing a lot of reading and 'busy work" whereas most of the time I've been suffering through bad anhedonia and apathy.  I thought celexa was stimulating so I was surprised that I would feel MORE stimulated when reducing it.

Oh, yes, I have this periodically. Not really full manic symptoms, more like hypomania I think. 

A couple of the drugs I'm taking (Celexa is one) dampen the effect of glutamate, our primary excitatory neurotransmitter.  I think fo rme, that's why I get a little jittery and anxious, and sometimes a little hypomanicish, when I've made a cut but haven't yet adjusted to it.

Actually when it's mild I sort of like it, I hate to admit...keeps me awake those work nights... But so far it always passes with the hold, because of course once I feel those kinds of symptoms I immediately hold my taper until they resolve.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I've read on the other forum about success cross tapering from clonazepam to valium ..and I'm happy to report I did this and it's been working (so far) quite well. As the signature suggests I'm now off the celexa.

Has anyone switched over antidepressants that they wish to taper because one has less side effects, OR to help maintain sleep?

I have been on a very low dose of remeron and the sedating effects have stopped, I've also gained way too much weight.  But when I tried to taper off the final amount before, the insomnia came back (even though I still take the benzos at night)

I also experience nausea to the point of not being able to eat at all, and had suicidal thoughts.  My strategy was to cut celexa, then stop the remeron, then go after the benzo taper. 

But while remeron does not seem to help me fall asleep anymore, the dose seems to prevent the early 3 am waking (as do the benzos, they don't help sleep more than just maintain a pattern right now)

I know it's a roll of the dice to consider taking something like trazadone to help with sleep , and discontinuing the remeron.  But sleep is the total foundation right now, without it I can't function.  Insomnia does not just pass in a few days with me, it goes on for weeks ..I've tried the Benadryl and melatonin, and mag.. 

I took traz in the past and didn't have the weight gain problem and it helped me sleep a long time (too long) . 

Just trying to come up with a strategy, it's not my best option to switch out one anti-d for another but I'm holding right now after just stopping celexa and I don't want the weight gain from remeron which has been really bad (plus when I go off, even Zofran does not help the nausea)

What would you do?  Switch from remeron to a tiny amount of trazadone (it only takes a little) to maintain sleep, then taper off the benzos, and keep the sedating anti-d for last?  The traz would be a very small dose like the remeron.  I know they both have anti-d properties but I'd like to get off the one that was correlated with anorexia and suicide (remeron). 

The remeron seems to have me stuck..

• Administrator

Switching any drug carries more risk than a direct taper.

I would not be impatient to go off Remeron. It sounds like it's time for you to hold. Rebound insomnia is common in Remeron withdrawal.

We can't advise you here about substituting trazodone.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

whats the best course of action then? taper the benzos first , or the remeron?  I have nightmarish anxiety and akathisia that makes an epileptic look calm if I slow the benzo

or insomnia with nausea to the point of throwing up daily by reducing remeron>? by the love of God cant I just stay on pills ..I've had debilitating insomnia for YEARS and I doubt i'll ever restore

to normal again on any kind of sleep pattern without a sleep aid.  it's already been too long too much of life has been lost ..sanity, health, job, independence, for gods sake

I cant even make food for my son

at the point of just checking myself into inpatient.. the brain zaps are beyond bad i'm so dizzy I can barely stand up ..and..i just lost medical insurance.  try Zofran again? Dramamine?

I swear if its my last act I will go to the office of that psych who put me on Prozac and sent life into a tailspin and make her choke down every last pill I've ever had to take then tell her to call me in six weeks.  filing a formal complaint against her with board of psychiatry or whomever licenses these fools

• Administrator

I would taper the drug that's causing the adverse symptoms. What's giving you the brain zaps?

I'm sorry about my irate post last night, it wasn't directed at anyone other than myself and just complete desperation. 

Alto I'm not sure what could be causing the zaps and dizziness, I just know they got to the point where they were so bad I couldn't stand up.  This morning they seem to have subsided a bit but it's still early on..the irritability oh my g its like the worst PMS I have ever felt . 

I can only guess the zaps came from recently dc'ing the celexa ..but I was zapping pretty bad while still on the last amount. 

Going to hold on the remeron and benzo now , at least until the relocation is over..I leave in one week.  My post last night suggested I was going to taper one or the other right away but what I meant is, what would be the next one to taper when I'm stable.

That's a toss up on which causes the most adverse effects.  Dipping from remeron will cause rebound insomnia but also the worst nausea  and suicidal thoughts (from past experience) ; the benzos will cause the akathisia that demon I hear everyone talk about ..yes I felt it, no words to describe it..and of course probably insomnia

so it seems the last two drugs will both result in insomnia when tapered ..I fear that the most

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry that you have taken a step back, I was really happy that you were feeling well.

It will pass and hopefully before you leave for your new home. Take care of yourself 

and take one day at a time. Mamma hugs for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you've come down from 10 mg Celexa to zero since the first of July...? That would be highly problematic for most people.  Pretty much the same as a CT.  

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

went to establish contact with a new doctor, explained things as usual, get this he wanted to increase what little remeron i was on, CUT the valium cold turkey and said i had one month to taper off the clonazepam because he wasn't rewriting the script.  AND gave a script for wellbutrin.  I told him that's like putting the gas pedal to the floor and cutting the brakes.  Hoping to see another doc next week who ..even the receptionist says she does slow tapers..

Alto I'm copying this over to my status update, if this doc turns out to be a slow taper-er and helpful with anti-d withdrawal I'll ask to add her name to the list.  She's in Phoenix Arizona. 

• Administrator

Arrrgh. I wish we could publish a list of doctors NOT to go to. Yelp is good for that.

It's maddening. I don't have insurance anymore

• 1 year later...

Quite a history here, and I don't even want to read back and review it myself.  What a horrid ride.  

I have not posted in some time.  For those who followed this, I did in fact go to Arizona, experienced being held at gunpoint by said friend so returned to my previous home.  No help from friends, parents, ex, nothing.  It was a battle of survival that I didn't know I wanted to survive anymore.

A bit more than a year later I came back because I wanted to participate with the doctor who is doing interviews.  And to update.  I'm safe and so are my kids.  My health is at about 90%.  Currently taking 10 mg celexa and 1.5 mg clonazepam, with occasional melatonin.  

I can't seem to fall asleep before 11 pm and have a hard time getting going in the morning.  I had cut the remeron down to where I was taking it once every week to curb the nausea and breakthrough insomnia.  

Am decently stable and have lost 15 lbs in a little over a month, am eating better and outside moving around a lot.. exercise :)

As with my previous statement many moons ago, I wish to assist others when I'm in the clear.  

Dear A,

Glad that you are doing 90%.

Sorry things didn't work out for you in az.

wishing you well!

Tina

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back Azgirl, thank you for updating, I'm sorry about everything you have been through, but it sounds like you are doing much better now.  Are you planning to begin another taper soon?

Are you still taking Remeron once a week?

Please would you update your signature to reflect your current situation.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Not sure where else to post this, I understand my posts may remain but is there a way to delete out my profile/account ?  Will my posts disappear too? 

• Administrator

• Administrator

Azgirl, I moved your question here.

How are you doing now?

HI all, I'm doing pretty good, thank you.  So much tapering has happened , and I should update my signature (not needed if I delete out the account) . 

I'm all the way down to .5 mg clonazepam/ at night and 5 mg celexa / morning .  I'm hoping the worst is behind me and I definitely feel a lot better.

My wish to delete the account and my posts comes from a rather urgent need to stay anonymous and I think that a diligent reader can put two and two together to find out personal information, and I'd rather it not be out there.  I should never have disclosed that I was going to Arizona , but shared it so that progress would make sense.  It now makes me easily identifiable by someone .

Thanks for all the support the last couple of years.  

Thank you Alto, I read the thread you posted about deactivation and will proceed with the steps you listed.  Thanks again.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to When a faster taper is medically necessary, or a washout