Nadia

What are the symptoms of anxiety?

Nadia

====================================================

Helpful things:

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) 

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

====================================================

Hi everyone,

I came across a site that has the most comprehensive list of anxiety symptoms I've found. I was suprised to see that a lot of my symptoms that I don't immediately relate to anxiety, like depersonalization and strange smells, even body zaps, are related. For those of us who feel like we're going crazy sometimes, this list may be of help!

They do stress that certain symptoms could have other causes and you should check with your doctor. But reading this makes me realize why my doctor just dismisses all my complaints as anxiety and why she referred me back to a psychiatrist. It really drives home how it makes it so difficult to come up with a diagnosis of withdrawal, discontinuation syndrome, PANES, etc. It makes no difference with most doctors if you assure them that you did not have these symptoms prior to taking or discontinuing pyschiatric medications, as it is "common opinion" that anxiety symptoms can spontaneously present at any time of life, PARTICULARLY if there has been a previous mental health diagnosis. It really is disheartening...

Source: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Disclaimer: There is a subscription component for this website, which I have not tried and am not advocating (though it doesn't seem very expensive).

Anxiety symptoms, anxiety attack symptoms: There are over 100 symptoms of anxiety.

Because each person has a unique chemical make up, the type, number, intensity, and frequency of anxiety symptoms will vary from person to person. For example, one person may have just one mild anxiety symptom, whereas another may have all anxiety symptoms and to great severity. All combinations are common.

What are anxiety symptoms?

Common anxiety symptoms include:

Body (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the body in general):

Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)

Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles

Blanching (looking pale, loss of color in the face or skin)

Blushing, turning red, flushed face, flushed skin, blushing, red face or skin

Body aches, parts of or your entire body feels sore and achy, feels like your body and muscles are bruised

Body jolts, body zaps, electric jolt feeling in body, intense body tremor or “body shake”

Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature

Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” prickly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin

Burning skin sensation on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or shoulders

Buzzing sensation in the feet, toes, hands, fingers, arms, legs

Chest pain, chest tightness

Choking

Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out

Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or body

Cold chills, feeling cold

Craving sugar, sweets, chocolate, usual craving for sugar and sweets

Difficulty speaking, moving mouth, talking, co-ordination problems with the mouth or tongue

Dizziness, feeling lightheaded

Dizzy, feeling dizzy

Electric shock feeling, body zaps

Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax

Falling sensation, feel like your are falling or dropping even though you aren't

Feel like you are going to pass out or faint

Feeling cold or chilled

Feel wrong, different, foreign, odd, or strange

Flu-like symptoms, general malaise, feel ill, like you are coming down with a flu

Flushed face, red face, flushed skin

Frequent urination

Hair loss, hair is thinning, or clumps of hair are falling out

Head Zaps

Heart palpitations, racing heart

Hyperactivity, excess energy, nervous energy

Increased or decreased sex drive

Infection - increased infections, persistent infection

Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking

Muscles that vibrate, jitter, tremor, or shake when used

Muscle twitching

Nausea

Nausea vomiting

Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness

Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night

No energy, feeling lethargic, tired

Numbness

Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling

Numbness and tingling, and other skin sensations on hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body

Persistent muscle tension, stiffness

Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard

Pulsing or throbbing muscles. Pulsing or throbbing sensation.

Red skin, skin looks like or is turning red

Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage

Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest

Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face

Shooting pains in the face

Shooting pains in the scalp or head

Skipped heart beats

Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck

Startle easily

Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating

The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason

Tightness in the ribs or rib cage area, may also feel like a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area.

Tingling sensations, anywhere on the body, including the hands, feet, legs, arms, head, mouth, chest, groin area

Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking

TMJ

Trembling, shaking, tremors

Twitching

Unsteadiness, dizziness, feeling dizzy or lightheaded

Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)

Warm spells

Weak - feel weak, weakness, low energy, light, soft, like you may faint

Weak legs, arms, or muscles

Weight loss, weight gain

Chest (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the chest area):

Chest tremors, trembling in the chest, chest feels like it is vibrating

Chest pain or discomfort

Concern about the heart

Feel like you have to force yourself to breath

Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath

Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath

Heart Palpitations – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat

Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough

Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard

Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage

Emotions (see mood) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with emotions, mood, and feelings)

Fears (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with fear):

A heightened fear of what people think of you

Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits

Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.

Fear of being in public

Fear of dying

Fear of losing control

Fear of impending doom

Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others

Fear of passing out

Fear that you are losing your mind

Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations

Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings

Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness

Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable

Need to seat near exits

Head (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the head):

Brain fog

Burning, itchy, tight scalp

Dizziness

Dizzy

Dizziness or light-headedness

Frequent headaches, migraine headaches

Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness

Hair loss, hair is thinning, or clumps of hair are falling out

Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness

Head zaps, head tremors

Giddiness

Numbness

Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face

Shooting pains in the face

Shooting pains in the scalp or head

When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards

Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache

TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) - clenching of the jaw or grinding of the teeth

Hearing/Ear(s) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with hearing):

Feel like there is something stuck in your ear, that your ear canal it plugged or blocked, that there is a pebble in your ear that you can't get out

Low rumbling sounds

Reduced hearing, frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears

Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head

Pulsing in the ears, throbbing sound in the ear(s)

Tickle or itch in your ear that you can't seem to get at

Mind (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mind and thinking):

Afraid of everything

Altered state of reality, consciousness, or universe feeling

Brain Fog

Deja Vu, a feeling like you've done or experienced something before

Depersonalization

Derealization

Desensitization

Difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss

Difficulty thinking, speaking, forming thoughts, following conversations

Disorientation

Fear of going crazy

Fear of losing control

Fear of impending doom

Feelings of unreality

Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do

Having difficulty concentrating

Nightmares, bad dreams

Obsession about sensations or getting better

Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’

Short-term learning impairment, have a hard time learning new information

Short-term memory impairment, can't remember what I did a few days, hours, or moments ago

Spaced out feelings, feeling spaced out

"Stuck" thoughts; thoughts, mental images, concepts, songs, or melodies that "stick" in your mind and replay over and over again.

Trapped in your mind feeling

Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear

You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders

Mood / Emotions (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with mood, emotions, and feelings):

Always feeling angry and lack of patience

Depersonalization

Depression

Dramatic mood swings (emotional flipping)

Emotionally blunted, flat, or numb

Emotional "flipping" (dramatic mood swings)

Emotions feel wrong

Everything is scary, frightening

Feeling down in the dumps

Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike

Frequently being on edge or 'grouchy'

Feel like crying for no apparent reason

Have no feelings about things you used to

Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb

Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear

You feel like you are under pressure all the time

Mouth/Stomach (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mouth and stomach):

A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste

Aerophagia (swallowing too much air, stomach distention, belching)

Burning mouth, feeling like the inside of your mouth is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these together or at different times

Burning tongue, feeling like your tongue is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these, or all of these together or at different times

Choking

Constant craving for sugar or sweets

Constipation

Diarrhea

Difficulty swallowing

Difficulty talking, pronouncing certain letters or sounds, mouth feels like it isn't moving right, slurred speech

Dry mouth

Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat

Feeling like your tongue is swollen

IBS

Lack of appetite or taste

Lump in the throat, tight throat, something stuck in your throat

Mouth muscles twitching/jumping

Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking

Nausea

Nausea vomiting

Nausea or abdominal stress

Numbness

Stomach upset, gas, belching, bloating

Teeth grinding

The thought of eating makes you nauseous

Tight throat, lump in throat

Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking

TMJ

Tongue symptoms - Tingly, “stretched,” numb, frozen, itchy, “crawly,” burning, twitching, “jumpy,” aching, sore, or swollen tongue (when it isn’t).

Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom

Vomiting

Skin (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the skin):

Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity

Numbness

Skin problems, infections, rashes

Sleep (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sleep):

Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams

Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake

Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night

Jolting awake

Waking up in a panic attack

You feel worse in the mornings

Sight (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sight):

Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision

Dry, watery or itchy eyes

Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes

Eyes sensitive to light

Spots in the vision

Flashing lights when eyes are closed

Your depth perception feels wrong

Touch (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with touch):

Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity

Feeling cold or chilled

Numbness

Pain

Tingling, pins and needles feelings

Other anxiety symptoms are described as:

Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these anxiety symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:

• Having a heart attack

• Having a serious undetected illness

• Dying prematurely

• Going insane or losing your mind

• Suddenly snapping

• Losing it

• Uncontrollably harming yourself or someone you love

• Losing control of your thoughts and actions

• Being embarrassed or making a fool out of yourself

• Losing control

• Fainting in public

• Not breathing properly

• Losing control of reality

• Choking or suffocating

• Being alone

Edited by ChessieCat
added helpful things at the top of post

Altostrata

I have never heard of zaps being an anxiety symptom, and I wondered if perhaps the Web site was mistaking withdrawal symptoms for anxiety symptoms, so I took a good look at it.

They aren't very straightforward about who they are, never a good sign. It looks like they might be peer counselors. They imply they're therapists but they don't claim accreditation or insurance reimbursement.

The educational background of the therapists varies and their certifications are not listed.

The fee schedule is here http://www.anxietycentre.com/terms_of_service.shtml

This looks like a teletherapy experiment. I'd be wary of signing up with them.

Nadia

Yeah, no plans on doing so. Their approach is that anxiety, unless it has an underlying medical condition, can be resolved by specific CBT getting at your specific issues. In that it seems no different to the mainstream:

Based on the many years of experience with anxiety, we know that anxiety is NOT a biological disease we inherit or contract. Anxiety is something we cause. We cause ourselves anxiety because we’ve learned to live more fearfully and stressfully than others. At the root of anxiety lie unhealthy beliefs, thoughts, actions, and behaviors: the underlying factors that cause us to produce anxiety.

Obviously not that relevant for withdrawal anxiety, although of course we can all benefit from therapies such as CBT since we all have some level of regular old anxiety in our lives if we're human.

I wonder what the qualifications necessary to call yourself a coach or counsellor are in Canada.

There are a million sites like this on the internet. This actually seems like one of the least "out for your money" ones (for the subscription to the info, not the counseling).

I'm not as leary of it as I am with Gupta's amygdala retraining DVDs. Which could be helpful as well, I'm sure. The red flag just goes up for me when people misrepresent their qualifications.

Nadia

I wonder about the zaps, electrical sensations. The thing with a lot of these symptoms is that they are so difficult to describe and quantify that they can be easily dismissed by mental health professionals.

Since I never had anxiety before discontinuing meds I can't really speak to whether all my symptoms are related to anxiety or not, but it does seem that a lot of people on here who had anxiety claim there is a difference post-meds from their original condition.

But who's going to believe them?

This is kind of like how my niece had diarrhea, originally caused by strep. They gave her antibiotics. She continued to have diarrhea. So they continued to give her antibiotics. 8 months later, my sister finally pushed her insurance to cover a colonoscopy, and they found she had ulcerative colitis. Probably from overuse of antibiotics. If the side effect of the medicine mimics the "original condition" and your doctors aren't vigilant enough, you can get into some real trouble.

Barbarannamated

Interesting thread, Nadia. The list was difficult for me to read because I have so many that I never had prior to the several switches and CTs by hospital in 2008.

The falling sensation is disturbing. It's woken me a few times although it's different than falling in a dream (or I experience it differently). One time, I actually grabbed the side of my bed while I was laying down.

A few nights ago, I had severe room spinning in 3D. Felt like I was in one of those acrobat balls that spins in all directions and planes.

Nadia

Yeah... I think about my dizziness, too, and wonder if it really is anxiety related or not. I think it's just not as simple as saying, like that site does, "this is not biological or acquired". I know they are trying to calm people down who think they are having a heart attack or feel like they are going crazy or dying, but it's just not that simple!! I saw a post on Paxil Progress, a site I had only really perused many years ago, to the same effect. OK, so it's true that when you feel anxious and start getting these symptoms, you can start getting paranoid about stuff. It's true that we can overworry and overresearch and start imagining that we have diseases we don't have. I get that and recognize that thinking pattern occasionaly within myself, even if for me it doesn't take the form of worrying about a heart attack or fearing death.

BUT, even if there is no underlying recognizable and treatable disease, there very well IS something biological going on. In fact, I would say there most certainly is. Our brain is just another organ in the body!

The Psychology approach is to say that all those symptoms derive from the anxiety. Whereas I would say the anxiety is just another symptom of a set of imbalanced brain/body functions which are both physical and mental in nature (a false dichotomy, in my opinion). These functions are in constant feedback with our environment, our bodies, and our thoughts and feelings. There are a million complex loops of cause and effect.

That is why you can have the symptoms in isolation. For example, I don't usually get ringing in my ears concurrent with anxiety. Nor dizziness. Some symptoms seem to come together sometimes and not others. It's not just like they all derive from a condition called "anxiety"! Does this make sense?

Still, all the symptoms, including the anxiety, could very well be coming from a set of particular brain/body states/processes... And it's not a simple equation. Your heart can be pounding without you feeling anxious, for example. An adrenaline rush doesn't always feel bad (though after months or years of having "inappropriate" adrenaline rushes you can start associating even good ones with feeling anxious).

Another doubt I have is the severity or degree of the symptoms, along with the timing... getting back to how I experience dizziness. I first got dizzy before I ever experienced the anxiety I developed a few months after CTing. It was set off by being on a boat, and it was a 24/7 constant for a few months. Then it started changing. Now it is occasional. I don't usually feel dizzy in the morning, which is when I feel anxious. I tend to get dizzy at night when I'm tired. In July, when I felt really well, had zero anxiety and was sleeping normally, I still experienced dizziness late in the day.

So, it seems to me that it's not particularly helpful for my doctor to say the dizziness is a SYMPTOM of anxiety. That doesn't mean that I have a brain tumor or an ear infection. The cause can be just as elusive as that of the anxiety itself, but I think there should be some recognition by mental health professionals that these symptoms don't always derive from each other, or rather, that it's not always helpful to make an umbrella diagnosis of "anxiety" and dismiss the rest of the symptoms as deriving from it.

That is not to say that symptoms don't derieve from other symptoms sometimes... certainly if you are really anxious and you focus on everything you're feeling you can get in a worry-loop that only exacerbates the symptoms or creates new ones. So, for example, your heart is pounding and you're sweating and you start thinking you're going to have a heart attack, so you get even more anxious, which makes your heart beat even faster and your breathing to become shallow, etc....

I think a lot of the approaches recommended by people on this site are aimed at halting that "freak-out" response. I think over time I've gotten better at (but certainly not perfected) my ability to halt that type of escalation by observing and not exacerbating the anxiety response.

The flip-side of this worrying about physical illness is worrying that our environment or our thoughts are causing the symptoms, when perhaps they are not. I often wake feeling such dread and anxiety in the morning that I start freaking out that something in my life is very, very wrong and I need to change it. Certainly I would like to make some changes in my life, but once I calm down I realize my life is not EVIL and POISONOUS, like it can seem in the morning. I don't HATE living, I don't want to DIE, I DO love my family, etc. It helps on those occasions to realize I'm having what has been called on this site a "neuroemotion" (while at the same time recognizing that there may be some truth under the neuroemotion that also feeds into it).

My point is that ONLY considering our symptoms as "mind-generated" and derived from anxiety can be confusing and harmful in itself. I think it's important to use all the psychological tools at our disposal to get well, but also recognize that they may not be enough. Some of the approaches that may work for anxiety that is primarily created by situational stressors or negative patterns of thinking or maladaptation to stress might not work for us. I think this is the reason I like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy more than traditional CBT. It concentrates not on trying to change what you are feeling, but on accepting it and acting in spite of it. Certainly a mixed approach is also viable, and everyone is different.

But I don't think my dizziness, for example, can be trained away with CBT (though any anxiety caused by worrying about the dizziness can be, of course).

I know these are subtleties, but does this ring true for anyone else?

I would love to hear back especially from people who had anxiety prior to taking meds.

I CAN speak for depression before and after meds... I know with that there IS a difference. It's virtually impossible to piece out entirely, as many times I feel depressed now and recognize old patterns of response and thinking. BUT those are mixed in with a more persistent, deeper, more "noxious" type of depression that I had not experienced before. Perhaps it is just "dread", which I feel like a mixture of anxiety and depression, but perhaps there is something more to it.

I feel like, for the most part, my "withdrawal" depression has faded, but last year I felt such a deep-rooted inability to enjoy anything or feel motivated to do anything... something entirely different than I'd felt prior to meds. Also the irritability and fits of rage, or feeling absolutely no abiility to care for anyone. It's hard to piece out from my "natural tendencies" to feel down, but it also seems to me, on both a gut level and a reasoned through level, that there was something new and more dysfuctional going on after having taken meds (which thankfully seems to be clearing up, albeit in an erratic way).

Why does it matter, I ask myself sometimes? Why does it matter if this "condition", this "suffering" is a result of changes or maladaptations caused by an antidepressant, rather than an "inherent" or "self-developed" condition? Well, number one, having it recognized is the first step into taking action to make people aware of the dangers of these drugs. And two, I think we should consider the possibility that special approaches or treatments should be developed. Certainly, being very wary of all psychiatric meds, as we may be more vulnerable than your average person starting off on them. Also, hypersensitivity to other meds. I never had a problem with antibiotics or hydrocortisone before. Now I have to be extra-careful about what I put into my body!

EternalOptimist

Here are some anxiety symptoms and the reasons we experience them:

Anxiety Symptom Cause

Numbness in the extremities – One Sided numbness hyperventilation, diversion of blood flow, improper breathing

Memory problems survival mode, dissociation

Concentration problems survival mode, dissociation

Racing heart stress hormones

Chest pain racing heart, tight muscles, rapid breathing, fear, muscle fatigue

Black spots in vision hyperventilation, increased blood pressure

Blurred vision hyperventilation, increased blood pressure, dilated pupils

Emotional detachment survival mode, dissociation

Trembling, shaking, teeth chattering tensed muscles, muscle fatigue from tension

Sweating cooling the body in preparation for exertion

Blushing increased blood pressure, fear

Tight chest hyperventilation, muscle tension

Head Pressure increased blood pressure, muscle spasms

Headache increased blood pressure, muscle tension, clenched jaw

Neck pain muscle tension

Back pain. muscle tension

Muscle cramping muscle tension, muscle fatigue

Face pain muscle tension, clenched jaw

Extreme Fatigue hyperventilation, diversion of blood flow, constant tension

Stomach pain shut down digestion

Nausea shut down digestion, stress hormones

Dry mouth shut down digestion

Diarrhea stress hormones, irritation of digestive tract

Problems with blood sugar Decreased insulin production

Cholesterol problems Changes in metabolism

Metabolic problems Changes in metabolism

Other pain tensed muscles, stress hormones, digestion changes

Other illness. immune system suppression

Junglechicken

I know that there is a lot of information on the SA site, but thought this [100 Symptoms of Anxiety/Stress] would be an additional useful resource for anyone questioning what's wrong with them:

Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)

• Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles
  • Blanching (looking pale, loss of color in the face or skin)
  • Blushing, turning red, flushed face, flushed skin, blushing, red face or skin
  • Body aches, parts of or your entire body feels sore and achy, feels like your body and muscles are bruised
  • Body jolts, body zaps, electric jolt feeling in body, intense body tremor or “body shake”
  • Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature
  • Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” prickly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin
  • Burning skin sensation on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or shoulders
  • Buzzing sensation in the feet, toes, hands, fingers, arms, legs
  • Chest pain, chest tightness
  • Choking
  • Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out
  • Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or body
  • Cold chills, feeling cold
  • Craving sugar, sweets, chocolate, usual craving for sugar and sweets
  • Difficulty speaking, moving mouth, talking, co-ordination problems with the mouth or tongue
  • Dizziness, feeling lightheaded
  • Dizzy, feeling dizzy
  • Electric shock feeling, body zaps
  • Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
  • Falling sensation, feel like your are falling or dropping even though you aren't
  • Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
  • Feeling cold or chilled
  • Feel wrong, different, foreign, odd, or strange
  • Flu-like symptoms, general malaise, feel ill, like you are coming down with a flu
  • Flushed face, red face, flushed skin
  • Frequent urination
  • Head Zaps
  • Heart palpitations, racing heart
  • Hyperactivity, excess energy, nervous energy
  • Increased or decreased sex drive
  • Infection - increased infections, persistent infection
  • Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
  • Muscles that vibrate, jitter, tremor, or shake when used
  • Muscle twitching
  • Nausea
  • Nausea vomiting
  • Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
  • Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night
  • No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
  • Numbness
  • Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
  • Numbness and tingling, and other skin sensations on hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
  • Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
  • Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
  • Pulsing or throbbing muscles. Pulsing or throbbing sensation.
  • Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
  • Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest
  • Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
  • Shooting pains in the face
  • Shooting pains in the scalp or head
  • Skipped heart beats
  • Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
  • Startle easily
  • Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
  • The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
  • Tightness in the ribs or rib cage area, may also feel like a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area.
  • Tingling sensations, anywhere on the body, including the hands, feet, legs, arms, head, mouth, chest, groin area
  • Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
  • TMJ
  • Trembling, shaking, tremors
  • Twitching
  • Unsteadiness, dizziness, feeling dizzy or lightheaded
  • Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)
  • Warm spells
  • Weak - feel weak, weakness, low energy, light, soft, like you may faint
  • Weak legs, arms, or muscles
  • Weight loss, weight gain

Chest (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the chest area)

• Chest tremors, trembling in the chest, chest feels like it is vibrating
  • Chest pain or discomfort
  • Concern about the heart
  • Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
  • Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
  • Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
  • Heart Palpitations – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat
  • Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough
  • Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
  • Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage

Emotions (see mood) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with emotions, mood, and feelings)

Fears (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with fear)

• A heightened fear of what people think of you
  • Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
  • Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
  • Fear of being in public
  • Fear of dying
  • Fear of losing control
  • Fear of impending doom
  • Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
  • Fear of passing out
  • Fear that you are losing your mind
  • Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
  • Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
  • Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
  • Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
  • Need to seat near exits

Head (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the head)

• Brain fog
  • Burning, itchy, tight scalp
  • Dizziness
  • Dizzy
  • Dizziness or light-headedness
  • Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
  • Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
  • Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
  • Head zaps, head tremors
  • Giddiness
  • Numbness
  • Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
  • Shooting pains in the face
  • Shooting pains in the scalp or head
  • When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
  • Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache
  • TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) - clenching of the jaw or grinding of the teeth

Hearing/Ear(s) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with hearing)

• Feel like there is something stuck in your ear, that your ear canal it plugged or blocked, that there is a pebble in your ear that you can't get out
  • Low rumbling sounds
  • Reduced hearing, frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
  • Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head
  • Pulsing in the ears, throbbing sound in the ear(s)
  • Tickle or itch in your ear that you can't seem to get at

Mind (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mind and thinking)

• Afraid of everything
  • Altered state of reality, consciousness, or universe feeling
  • Brain Fog
  • Deja Vu, a feeling like you've done or experienced something before
  • Depersonalization
  • Derealization
  • Desensitization
  • Difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss
  • Difficulty thinking, speaking, forming thoughts, following conversations
  • Disorientation
  • Fear of going crazy
  • Fear of losing control
  • Fear of impending doom
  • Feelings of unreality
  • Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Nightmares, bad dreams
  • Obsession about sensations or getting better
  • Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
  • Short-term learning impairment, have a hard time learning new information
  • Short-term memory impairment, can't remember what I did a few days, hours, or moments ago
  • Spaced out feelings, feeling spaced out
  • "Stuck" thoughts; thoughts, mental images, concepts, songs, or melodies that "stick" in your mind and replay over and over again.
  • Trapped in your mind feeling
  • Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
  • You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders

Mood / Emotions (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with mood, emotions, and feelings)

• Always feeling angry and lack of patience
  • Depersonalization
  • Depression
  • Dramatic mood swings (emotional flipping)
  • Emotionally blunted, flat, or numb
  • Emotional "flipping" (dramatic mood swings)
  • Emotions feel wrong
  • Everything is scary, frightening
  • Feeling down in the dumps
  • Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike
  • Frequently being on edge or 'grouchy'
  • Feel like crying for no apparent reason
  • Have no feelings about things you used to
  • Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb
  • Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
  • You feel like you are under pressure all the time

Mouth/Stomach (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mouth and stomach)

• A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
  • Aerophagia (swallowing too much air, stomach distention, belching)
  • Burning mouth, feeling like the inside of your mouth is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these together or at different times
  • Burning tongue, feeling like your tongue is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these, or all of these together or at different times
  • Choking
  • Constant craving for sugar or sweets
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Difficulty talking, pronouncing certain letters or sounds, mouth feels like it isn't moving right, slurred speech
  • Dry mouth
  • Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat
  • Feeling like your tongue is swollen
  • IBS
  • Lack of appetite or taste
  • Lump in the throat, tight throat, something stuck in your throat
  • Mouth muscles twitching/jumping
  • Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
  • Nausea
  • Nausea vomiting
  • Nausea or abdominal stress
  • Numbness
  • Stomach upset, gas, belching, bloating
  • Teeth grinding
  • The thought of eating makes you nauseous
  • Tight throat, lump in throat
  • Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
  • TMJ
  • Tongue symptoms - Tingly, “stretched,” numb, frozen, itchy, “crawly,” burning, twitching, “jumpy,” aching, sore, or swollen tongue (when it isn’t).
  • Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
  • Vomiting

Skin (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the skin)

• Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
  • Numbness
  • Skin problems, infections, rashes

Sleep (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sleep)

• Difficulty falling or staying asleep
  • Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams
  • Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake
  • Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
  • Jolting awake
  • Waking up in a panic attack
  • You feel worse in the mornings

Sight (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sight)

• Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
  • Dry, watery or itchy eyes
  • Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes
  • Eyes sensitive to light
  • Spots in the vision
  • Flashing lights when eyes are closed
  • Your depth perception feels wrong

Touch (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with touch)

• Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
  • Feeling cold or chilled
  • Numbness
  • Pain
  • Tingling, pins and needles feelings

Other anxiety symptoms are described as:

Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these anxiety symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:

• Having a heart attack

• Having a serious undetected illness

• Dying prematurely

• Going insane or losing your mind

• Suddenly snapping

• Losing it

• Uncontrollably harming yourself or someone you love

• Losing control of your thoughts and actions

• Being embarrassed or making a fool out of yourself

• Losing control

• Fainting in public

• Not breathing properly

• Losing control of reality

• Choking or suffocating

• Being alone

These are some of the more common anxiety symptoms. This list isn't exhaustive.

Reference and further information here http://www.anxietyce...-symptoms.shtml

Edited by Altostrata
added clarification

Scorpio

Hi junglechicken 

‘thank you for the link, very helpful as I’m having a hard time with the anxiety today especially nasty. 

Junglechicken
2 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi junglechicken 

‘thank you for the link, very helpful as I’m having a hard time with the anxiety today especially nasty. 

Glad you've found it useful Scorpio.  I thought in light of Andy's update, I would put the link there for people to access.

Petunia

I thought that list looked familiar. I used to belong to that site, before learning that my symptoms were being caused by withdrawal and recovery from antidepressants.

The list if very helpful, because any of those symptoms can also be caused by antidepressants and other psychiatric medications, both starting on them, and going off them. Anything which upsets the normal balanced functioning of our brain and nervous system can cause those effects. Whether that's stress (physical, emotional, mental), long term dysfunctional beliefs and thinking patterns, exposure to toxic substances or situations or as  in our case, exposure, withdrawal and recovery from psyche meds.

But please be aware that their treatment suggestions and counseling services are not going to fix withdrawal. We might have the same list of symptoms, but the cause of them for us is different. Although if the reason you started on antidepressants in the first place was for anxiety, then their treatment options and suggestions might help with the original issue, if it hasn't already been fixed.

But yes, that list is great and I've experienced most of them on and off over the last several years while I've been recovering from 13 years of anti-depressant use and stopping them too fast.

Junglechicken
4 hours ago, Petunia said:

I thought that list looked familiar. I used to belong to that site, before learning that my symptoms were being caused by withdrawal and recovery from antidepressants.

The list if very helpful, because any of those symptoms can also be caused by antidepressants and other psychiatric medications, both starting on them, and going off them. Anything which upsets the normal balanced functioning of our brain and nervous system can cause those effects. Whether that's stress (physical, emotional, mental), long term dysfunctional beliefs and thinking patterns, exposure to toxic substances or situations or as  in our case, exposure, withdrawal and recovery from psyche meds.

But please be aware that their treatment suggestions and counseling services are not going to fix withdrawal. We might have the same list of symptoms, but the cause of them for us is different. Although if the reason you started on antidepressants in the first place was for anxiety, then their treatment options and suggestions might help with the original issue, if it hasn't already been fixed.

But yes, that list is great and I've experienced most of them on and off over the last several years while I've been recovering from 13 years of anti-depressant use and stopping them too fast.

I have experienced many of the symptoms too Petu.

My biggest symptom at the moment is gut related - IBS.

Anyway, for those new to WD or just puzzled as to why they don't feel right (but know they suffer from anxiety), its a useful reference point.

Altostrata

I think that what these lists say is that "anxiety" is a very general term.

JackieDecides

for me the basic anxiety symptom is dread - a feeling that something bad is about to happen. and, more generally, a feeling that things are NOT OK. 

I have been having it for weeks now. 😔

Altostrata

I used to call that "black holes." I had never experienced such a thing before withdrawal.

JackieDecides
On 3/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, Altostrata said:

I used to call that "black holes." I had never experienced such a thing before withdrawal.

thank you for that - it helps enormously to know it's bad and "it's not just me".