SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shortness of breath and other breathing issues

Shanti

How long have you had it for now jungle?  Yes, as you said doctors fail us.  I believe I have had mine for a long, long time and that makes me concerned it will take a long, long time to recover

I thought my thrush might be from the dental thing I have to stop me grinding me teeth, but the doctor didn't think it was from that.  He said it is usually from a weakened immune system due to stress.  He is probably right on there, as you cannot avoid the stress from w/d!

My breathlessness has improved, but it is hard to say if that is just what might have happened as I am at the end of a taper.  I will do some more research, as I wonder if the candida can get into the lungs?  My headaches and head pressure have improved this week also, but again, you just don't know.  My blood pressure went way, way low 2 weeks ago for 2 weeks but this week it has improved also and that probably affects other things as well.

I hope you get some success with the naturopath.  Can you ask about saline gargling, whether he thinks that is effective or not.  I probably didn't persevere long enough with it.  Also, if there are other natural solutions? 

I see you mention about the sugar aspect, but my diet is very low in sugar.  My diet probably is high in carbs but that is hard to work on, as I am a creature of habit and don't like salads much and we can't buy decent fresh fruit anymore.

I forgot to mention that I did read candida can result from a dry mouth and one of the side effects of paxil is dry mouth.  Usually the saliva keeps the mouth clean and thrush free.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

Be careful when researching about Candida. It can put some scares in you. Personally I'm a little skeptical about a lot of what's online, as they say doctors can't find anything wrong but they swear Candida is throughout their body, only feeling better when going on a full Candida diet.

Now I know a lot are skeptical about withdrawals, but we know it's true. But keep in mind it's due to medications. It's possible those people felt better because they began eating better, or it's possible Candida is a thing. I read it's mostly spread throughout the body with those who have immune problems, but once again who knows?

My point is take everything with a grain of salt. Don't let what you find scare you. I tried the full blown Candida diet and I had to stop because I got rather sick. It's close to a keto diet. I had to add in simple carbs and cheat on the weekends just to feel better, but I still don't eat much sugar (I'm sad by this fact because I love sweets). So please do be careful! Take care of your body while in withdrawals, the diet could make it harder for you! Be cautious, be wise, be healthy!

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *

I appreciate your input Dez, thanks!  No worries, I am not going on any diets, like I said I am too much a creature of habit and I find the best thing for me is rolled oats porridge for breakfast and I tolerate vegetables (potato, pumpkin, etc.).  While my guts is a lot better than it was, I still have trouble eating raw stuff.   I really didn't even think sugar could do it, since I don't eat that much of it.  I think the doctor may be right in that it is a weakened immune system due to w/d stress.  Is that what you think?

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

I do think that's a big cause, as I've never had issues like this before. The body is put under so much stress that the immune system is weakened. Antibiotics, over using mouth wash, and dry mouth can also cause problems with Candida. The good bacteria in the mouth is low and asked the Candida to run wild, so probiotics and good hygiene (but not over using mouthwash) will help. My doctor also told me brushing the tongue will help fight off Candida, since it removes it and gives the good bacteria a fighting chance.

Be careful of fruits, too, as they have a lot of natural sugars in them. Berries seem to be safest. Other than that I'd see if the little pieces of info I have helps. I'm doing all I can to help others, too!

I really hope that everyone will do their best in this! Whether it's Candida or withdrawal or both, don't despair, keep on fighting!

- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

How long have you had it for now jungle?  Yes, as you said doctors fail us.  I believe I have had mine for a long, long time and that makes me concerned it will take a long, long time to recover

I thought my thrush might be from the dental thing I have to stop me grinding me teeth, but the doctor didn't think it was from that.  He said it is usually from a weakened immune system due to stress.  He is probably right on there, as you cannot avoid the stress from w/d!

My breathlessness has improved, but it is hard to say if that is just what might have happened as I am at the end of a taper.  I will do some more research, as I wonder if the candida can get into the lungs?  My headaches and head pressure have improved this week also, but again, you just don't know.  My blood pressure went way, way low 2 weeks ago for 2 weeks but this week it has improved also and that probably affects other things as well.

I hope you get some success with the naturopath.  Can you ask about saline gargling, whether he thinks that is effective or not.  I probably didn't persevere long enough with it.  Also, if there are other natural solutions? 

I see you mention about the sugar aspect, but my diet is very low in sugar.  My diet probably is high in carbs but that is hard to work on, as I am a creature of habit and don't like salads much and we can't buy decent fresh fruit anymore.

I forgot to mention that I did read candida can result from a dry mouth and one of the side effects of paxil is dry mouth.  Usually the saliva keeps the mouth clean and thrush free.

There is no reason why Candida shouldn't affect the lungs, as its a fungal overgrowth in our bodies.  I have wondered that myself GrandmaD as I occasionally feel wheezy but don't have asthma as its not hayfever "season" yet.

The fact is, the medical profession don't acknowledge its existence (other than thrush "down there" and in the mouth - both are visible and CAN be tested) as there aren't any regular blood tests for it. 

However, ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE does acknowledge it.

Will definitely keep you guys posted as to how my Naturopath treatment goes.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I do think that's a big cause, as I've never had issues like this before. The body is put under so much stress that the immune system is weakened. Antibiotics, over using mouth wash, and dry mouth can also cause problems with Candida. The good bacteria in the mouth is low and asked the Candida to run wild, so probiotics and good hygiene (but not over using mouthwash) will help. My doctor also told me brushing the tongue will help fight off Candida, since it removes it and gives the good bacteria a fighting chance.

Be careful of fruits, too, as they have a lot of natural sugars in them. Berries seem to be safest. Other than that I'd see if the little pieces of info I have helps. I'm doing all I can to help others, too!

I really hope that everyone will do their best in this! Whether it's Candida or withdrawal or both, don't despair, keep on fighting!

Thanks Dez, appreciate the tips. 

In which case, I will stop eating satsumas and opt for multivits unless the Naturopath advises something else.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I appreciate your input Dez, thanks!  No worries, I am not going on any diets, like I said I am too much a creature of habit and I find the best thing for me is rolled oats porridge for breakfast and I tolerate vegetables (potato, pumpkin, etc.).  While my guts is a lot better than it was, I still have trouble eating raw stuff.   I really didn't even think sugar could do it, since I don't eat that much of it.  I think the doctor may be right in that it is a weakened immune system due to w/d stress.  Is that what you think?

GrandmaD - that's what they say.

Stress causing a weakened immune system.

Candida can become serious for people undergoing chemotherapy or those with HIV.  People with serious illness in hospital.

Major Life Events: 

It would seem it all comes back to w/d again - as usual!

I found this very comprehensive article about candida:

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/candida.php

I found this very comprehensive article about candida:

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/candida.php

Thanks GrandmaD, I can tick off a whole load of those symptoms :( 

Major Life Events: 

• 3 weeks later...

Before I stopped taking effexor .. but believe I was in tolerance I had breathing issues... went to the hosp a few times was given a mask... can't recall it all too long ago.  One extremely acute incident of not breathing I could not lay down and they kept wanting me too... I told them if I lay down I drown... I simply could not breath.  

I have had issue ever since cannot breath well enough to run for instance I would not dare try it. 

In my gut I know it has something to do with the effexor along with all the other tolerance crap ... head drops and foot dragging to name two. 

that is my two cents

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Meditative breathing got me this far... that and deep relaxation and walking slowly very slowly

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd really love to hear from anyone else who has or is experiencing breathing problems in withdrawal. Since I stopped completely 7 months ago I've had repeated bouts of respiratory problems, mostly at night but now during the day also. At night when I start to fall asleep I wake with a jolt, heart pounding and stomach tension/anxiety. This happens over and over, last night was particularly bad. I also feel like I've got a heaviness or blockage in my chest. I know this is from damage to central nervous system - but I just need some support, it's really scary and I can't see an end in sight. I haven't been to my doctor about it yet and I just can't see what help he will be. I know far more about this that he seems to.

Thanks

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Citalopram 11years 2005-2016

Wellbutrin 4 years 2012-2016

Withdrawn since Sept 2016

Hello, Melody.

I can certainly say that I've had the feeling of breathlessness or like my lungs can't get enough air. I've figured out that this mostly has to do with the anxiety we feel. It causes tension in our body, including the throat, and makes us think we're not getting enough air. I'm not sure what respiratory problems you're having, but maybe it could be anxiety and tension for you as well? I know using a diffuser with aromatherapy has helped me out quite a lot. I have also had the jolting awake when trying to fall asleep, the heart pounding, the tension.

I also have a lot of chest pain, tightness, heaviness, ect. I've had it ever since this started and it is very scary! Sometimes I think that I'm going to just fall over and croak. I've gone to the ER and no one can find anything. They did EKGs, bloodwork, chest x-ray, nothing came up. That was back in December. So far nothing has really gone wrong with me. It hurts, it's scary, it's uncomfortable, but I haven't had any dire issues. It's always best to go to your doctor just in case. Withdrawals cause a lot of different problems and everyone is different in the journey/battle.

Know this: it's one hell of a battle, but you will win it. We're both still in early withdrawal and have to hang in there to see this through. Do what you can to just observe what's going on and accept that it's happening. Try not to have the initial freak out if you have an anxiety or panic attack. Just breathe and tell yourself "this is withdrawal, it will pass eventually." I know this seems hard, and it's extremely difficult going through withdrawals, but you can do this! Hang in there and keep moving forward, no matter what happens! If you haven't read it yet, I advise reading Irishwill's recovery post. It's keeping me going more than anything else!

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that my breathing/respiratory rate seems slow.  I did some research and found that the average adult breaths 12-20 times a minutes.  My breathing on average is 10 times a minute.  I am aware that my breathing seems slower then usual.  Has anyone else noticed this with their breathing?

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that reply Dez.

Since I posted that the sleep jolting has come and gone, got worse then better but it's back with a vengeance last few nights, in fact tonight I am particularly bad. I now can't sleep/am afraid to keep trying because I've been jolting and twitching over and over for last couple of hours along with creeping numbness down my arms and feeling like I'm going to faint. Horrible. I have been delving into the topic of histamine recently after lots of research, where I've found a lot of good info about why I've now seem to have become so sensitive to so many foods and chemicals.

A lot of it is to do with histamine. I've never obviously suffered from histamine before but in withdrawal I've slowly begun to put together the jigsaw puzzle of symptoms and histamine seems to be playing a major role now in feeling unwell. I've become sensitive to meats, fish, cheeses, fruits - loads of things, and one of the main symptoms when I've had these foods especially at night is the repeated jolting/heart pounding/anxiety/fear/insomnia. I'm laying here running through what I've eaten this evening because I know something has really upset me, I feel really bad tonight. 

Im only just starting to explore this and I've not done a total elimination diet yet. 

If anyone is interested look up a couple of histamine websites for advice, (obviously most advice won't be for those specifically in AD withdrawal). I've kind of been putting off doing the proper elimination diet as I really struggle with food issues, I have a long history of eating disorders, but I feel so bad tonight I'm going to have to try it. I can't stand this any more, it is really awful and scary. I am trying to stay calm and relaxed but I know eventually I'm going to have to sleep :( Ive never had anything like this before in my life until stopping antidepressants 

Edited by scallywag
add extra lines after paragraphs

Citalopram 11years 2005-2016

Wellbutrin 4 years 2012-2016

Withdrawn since Sept 2016

• 6 months later...

What is this? I have been waking up gasping breath and now i just woke up and it was terrible. Its like ive stopped breathing while aspleep. I gasp breath, caugh few times like astmatic person and then its okay again. Anyone?

I have also broblems with wery tight chest and breathing generally while awake but this is something new, wery different. I have had some kind of bronkitis for over a month now. Im also smoking cicarrets 10-15 a day. Before al this wd thing i smoked only 3-4 a day.

Im scared to go to sleep again

2001 started citalopram 40mg

2006 almost CT, almost year without, started again 20-40mg

2015 february CT from 10mg, reinstated 2 weeks later in 10mg 2016 Autumn started redusing from 7,5 to 5mg.  2017 spring  reduced from 5 to 2,5mg, got off from 2,5mg, last dose mind June

2017 beginning of september started 2,5mg, within weeks went up to 7,5mg stayed 3 weeks

2017 beginning of october went up to 10mg stayed for 2 weeks

2017 mid october got  down  to 5mg

2017 November 4th got down to 2,5mg

2017 December 27th got down to 2,25mg

September-october 2017 polydrugged (benzos, neuroleptics, stopped all)

Triptyl from october 2017 started 25mg now 3mg

So sorry you have this new sxs, Raina! 

I have it too, pretty bad today. Mine is not in sleep though. 

Are you still on any meds? Sorry I can't see your signature from my phone.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Low iron levels in the blood can also cause breathlessness.

Women who experience heavy periods are at risk of anaemia and this is one of the symptoms.

Major Life Events: 

Im on citalopram 2,5 and triptyl 3

I have been taking citalopram for 17 years, last years 10mg. I thought i succesfully tapered it off but then after 2,5months after getting off wd kicked big time, i tried to reinstate. Went back to 10, tried benzos, lyrica, risperdal seroquel (10 different drugs) and started triptyl 25mg. So many wrong decisions.

I have my periods now, hope  that it will settle after its gone.. is it recommendable to take iron substances?

Thank you!

2015 february CT from 10mg, reinstated 2 weeks later in 10mg 2016 Autumn started redusing from 7,5 to 5mg.  2017 spring  reduced from 5 to 2,5mg, got off from 2,5mg, last dose mind June

2017 beginning of september started 2,5mg, within weeks went up to 7,5mg stayed 3 weeks

3 minutes ago, Riina said:

Im on citalopram 2,5 and triptyl 3

I have been taking citalopram for 17 years, last years 10mg. I thought i succesfully tapered it off but then after 2,5months after getting off wd kicked big time, i tried to reinstate. Went back to 10, tried benzos, lyrica, risperdal seroquel (10 different drugs) and started triptyl 25mg. So many wrong decisions.

I have my periods now, hope  that it will settle after its gone.. is it recommendable to take iron substances?

Thank you!

Hi Riina,

I think if you're found to be anaemic, then your doctor will likely give you iron injections and/or supplements.

Many of us have made wrong decisions in this process, and so its about finding the mental strength to keep on going forward.

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

I got of citalopram in middle june and got back on early september. Now been trying to stabilize for 3 weeks.

I habe heard that iron subs can make some people worse...

I don' t know the answers, but mentioned iron deficiency as a possibility for breathlessness, especially for women who experience heavy periods.

Major Life Events: 

Thank you junglechicken. I know that no-one knows for sure. But it might be it because i remember i have had this before but only few times and not this bad and now im having a period so it could make sense. Maby i shoul just eat broccoli, yam.

And all the best for your recovery!

19 hours ago, Riina said:

What is this? I have been waking up gasping breath and now i just woke up and it was terrible. Its like ive stopped breathing while aspleep. I gasp breath, caugh few times like astmatic person and then its okay again. Anyone?

I have also broblems with wery tight chest and breathing generally while awake but this is something new, wery different. I have had some kind of bronkitis for over a month now. Im also smoking cicarrets 10-15 a day. Before al this wd thing i smoked only 3-4 a day.

Im scared to go to sleep again

I am pretty sure the tight chest and breathlessness are both w/d symptoms, had them both pretty bad.  I have experienced waking up like that also several times, but not frequently as I had stopped breathing.  Other times feeling like I had to make myself breathe when in bed, rather than it be automatic. 

There were times I took a puffer thinking it was asthma, but it didn't help.

The good thing is that even if you stop breathing while asleep, your body wakes you up, so you needn't be afraid!

Are you taking something for the bronchitis?  ON another ocassion I was so weak with breathlessness I couldn't walk, except around the house.  The doc. said my chest was clear and I even had an x-ray.  Hubby said why not just take some Irish Moss (for bronchitis) and after 3 days I started coughing up phlegm and it was BAD and this went on for a week.  I was so annoyed with the doc. and he told me that phlegm doesn't show up on x-ray!  What a waste of time!

I guess I am saying that if you are worried, check it out with doc, x-ray if you do have bronchitis, take meds for bronchitis, puffer if it's asthma.  I don't smoke, but I should think that isn't helping you either, so perhaps cut down on it if you can.

Thanks for replying grandmaD😊 Never have had any astma problems before. I really have to make myself breathing. Last night i had it but not that bad. I didnt wake up choking, it was just in the morning when i first woke up and then couldnt go back to sleep because breathing stopped and then my body woke me... hope it goes away soon. Horrible because now im afraid to sleep. Bronkitis was bad at first but thats come better but its been long, could be the smoking...

6 minutes ago, Riina said:

Thanks for replying grandmaD😊 Never have had any astma problems before. I really have to make myself breathing. Last night i had it but not that bad. I didnt wake up choking, it was just in the morning when i first woke up and then couldnt go back to sleep because breathing stopped and then my body woke me... hope it goes away soon. Horrible because now im afraid to sleep. Bronkitis was bad at first but thats come better but its been long, could be the smoking...

Riina,

Have you had your lung function tested? Have you always smoked?

Stopping breathing in your sleep and being woken by it is called "sleep apnea".

JC

Major Life Events: 

I should cut down smoking but im soooo nervous all the time..

I was breathing wery well before this all started, just about a month ago i got flu and now maby a week ago its gone bad. I never had bronkitis(maby ten years ago), caugh, nothing.. not even snoring. Lung capacity was actually great before, i believe, i could run fast without getting too bad breathlessness so its got to be related to this wd but i know beeing sick and smoking can make it worse.

I really dont want to see any doctors and im in too bad shape anyway to go thrue testing, just hoping it would pass. But if it dont...

I dont know if you can have apnea over night?

Thanks!

I don't think it's anything else but wd. Imy having severe breathing difficulty today entire day and my entire left from head to toe total numb and super weak. The breathless is more like in the brain not lung. 

I doubt any thing helpful by seeing any type of doctors. 

I hope it passes like all other crazy sxs as everyone say when the brain heals over time for both of us.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thanks! I believe that these things are not permanent but still so awfull.. what is sxs🤔

Symptoms 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Are you still taking ant meds or off completely?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Still taking meds(look above)

I read some of your thread, cannot believe how sensitive your system can get. I want to get of these poisons and fast! Unfortunately the harm is allready done..

Yeah, it's totally unbelievable how much damage these drugs can make, there is no words in any language can describe the horror.

I'm on my phone can't see signature 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

The one best thing you can do to help your body is to do deep breathing exercises and relaxation exercises.  All the best!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy