KellyS

No Friend/Family Support

KellyS

I have no family to speak of. I am "estranged" from them as they are abusive and I removed them from my life many years ago. my few close friends are less than supportive of me being on meds to begin with and while they are supportive of me going off them I often get bad advice that has no real knowledge behind it. See, i am friends with a "know it all." She claims to know everything about everything and so far just about everything she has told me about my withdrawal has been dead wrong. So I stopped talking to her about it altogether. THIS SITE is the only place I have for real support. Which is tough!

Shanti

I know it's rough that people don't understand. Even people that say they do, they really don't know the extent of it. Even people close to you won't understand. It's like an invisible disease. No one can know unless they've been through it. I'm sorry. For me, the best thing to do was to accept this. Accept that no one can really know and that I will get my support only from people that know. Like those here.

Jemima

I agree with Shanti that we're all pretty much alone in this, even those who have friends and family who want to be supportive. I was in much the same position as you during withdrawal and being alone neither helped nor hurt the process, to the best of my knowledge. This forum, however, was and is a huge help!

moonbow0202

Kelly,

Welcome to surviving antidepressants. You are not alone.

Barbarannamated

Kelly,

A few of us are estranged from family and it is very difficult.

Toxic Family thread. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1294-toxic-family/page__fromsearch__1

Related thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1877-learning-not-to-talk-about-wd/

I know very few people who are NOT on at least one psych med and many who are on cocktails of drugs, including my husband who happens to be an MD. Naturally, people look to him as the "know it all" of medicine.

A few teenage kids of friends are on multiple psych drugs. It is so disturbing to me that I've had to distance from them so I don't say something that will permanently hurt the relationships. I've told them that I was misdiagnosed and treated harmfully for many years and now doctors have no idea how to unravel/treat the mess. If I plant a seed in their minds, i consider that step. I can't change their minds about treatment rendered by respected doctors at prestigious medical institutions. Heck, I still struggle with that after knowing "opinion leaders" at UCLA, USC, etc.

It took me many years to realize that the system was broken. I believed that medicine and government would protect me or, at least, had my best interests in mind. Until people are ready to see that, it's nearly impossible to explain it without sounding like a conspiracy theorist or member of an extreme religious group. People want to trust and feel protected by those in power.

This group has been my lifeline.

meistersinger

When I first moved in with Doc as a tenant over two months ago, the first thing he told me was what his drill instructor told him when he first joined the army almost 40 years ago, as a senior in high school (He quit school the first day of his senior year. He got his diploma while in the Army.): Screw family, since they know which buttons to push. For the most part, that D.I. was right.

Skyler

When I first moved in with Doc as a tenant over two months ago, the first thing he told me was what his drill instructor told him when he first joined the army almost 40 years ago, as a senior in high school (He quit school the first day of his senior year. He got his diploma while in the Army.): Screw family, since they know which buttons to push. For the most part, that D.I. was right.

Hi meister.. at least you now have distance between them and you. That's how I remain sane with my family, distance, and the more the better! Hope your Thanksgiving was good.