SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jvbsr Intro

Jvbsr

I suffered a near fatal accident back in 1978,although I got over it physically I never got over it psychologically.

I was misdiagnosed by my first psychiatrist and told that I was suffering from depression and was put on enddep a very sedative drug and would sleep all the time,I did not like this drug so he put me on elavil (sp) after a year of feeling worse coming out of his office than going in,I tried suicide as you can see this didn’t work and was just a cry for help.

I found another psych and he diagnosed me with PTSD and put me on Norpramin and Xanax ,after 3 yrs of therapy I was feeling good again,until I went back to the job that I almost died from,it didn’t take long before I was back to feeling like crap again and finally quit my job ,The Norpramin cause positional hypertension and I had to go on another SSRI luvox and still taking Xanax in XR and regular.

I never did get back to my same old self and have been on almost every psych drug going.

over 30 yrs of taking psych drugs and now I have, through not being able to tolerate the side effects of these drugs have stopped taking them,and get this ,my forth Psychiatrist has thrown his hands in the air as to what to do for me,he says that I am confrontational and I should continue my sessions with a, just out of collage psych student who has yet to experience life herself,I am 61yrs old and she is 24 give me a break, these sessions do nothing for me

I have been diagnosed with IBS and I am in severe pain,I believe it is

because I am no longer taking an SSRI that I am experiencing all these

symptoms,I know I have a long road ahead and it’s not going to be easy

,but I need to believe that these symptoms are caused by my brain trying

to adjust to 30+ years of SSRI’s and now it is trying to remap.

Since stopping these drugs 3 months ago, I am going thought the worst symptoms I have ever experienced.Today has been the worst day so far,extremely dizzy and off balanced,a month ago I reintroduced 12 mgs of Luvox to help with the GI problems and it seems to have helped,but now I am back to being scared for my life,I have no one to help me,I have been to all my Drs and they can find nothing wrong.I have yet to find a psychologist who is willing to take me on.I am at the end of my rope.

I hope I can get through this,I am worried that there is something wrong with my brain and my Drs missed something,

Thanks for reading .

JVBSR

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks for readibility
  • Administrator

Welcome, Jvbsr.

Did you also go off Xanax 3 months ago? Were you taking it regularly?

Almost all of us have found a complete lack of understanding from the medical profession about adverse effects from these drugs and withdrawal problems. Please do not blame yourself.

If you've been thoroughly checked out medically, it is likely what you have is an iatrogenic condition.

You did the right thing by going back on Luvox (reinstating) and I'm glad to hear this relieved some of your symptoms. That is a strong indication you were suffering withdrawal symptoms. Be patient, this will get better.

When your nervous system is more stable, you may wish to more gradually reduce Luvox later.

Many with gut issues have found non-irritating diets to be quite helpful, see this topic and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/890-scdgapspaleo-diets/ and others in the Symptoms forum about gut problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

over 30 yrs of taking psych drugs and now I have, through not being able to tolerate the side effects of these drugs have stopped taking them,and get this ,my forth Psychiatrist has thrown his hands in the air as to what to do for me,he says that I am confrontational and I should continue my sessions with a, just out of collage psych student who has yet to experience life herself,I am 61yrs old and she is 24 give me a break, these sessions do nothing for me.

I had a similar experience when I was hospitalized over two years ago from a depression that was mostly due to Lipitor lowering my cholesterol below a healthy level. I was 65 at the time and got matched up with a horny 20-something "therapist" who kept insisting my depression would be cured by finding a mate. Good grief.

I have been diagnosed with IBS and I am in severe pain,I believe it is

because I am no longer taking an SSRI that I am experiencing all these

symptoms,I know I have a long road ahead and it’s not going to be easy

,but I need to believe that these symptoms are caused by my brain trying

to adjust to 30+ years of SSRI’s and now it is trying to remap.

That's remarkably perceptive. That's exactly what is happening to the best of our knowledge here at SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

Since stopping these drugs 3 months ago, I am going thought the worst symptoms I have ever experienced.Today has been the worst day so far,extremely dizzy and off balanced,a month ago I reintroduced 12 mgs of Luvox to help with the GI problems and it seems to have helped,but now I am back to being scared for my life,I have no one to help me,I have been to all my Drs and they can find nothing wrong.I have yet to find a psychologist who is willing to take me on.I am at the end of my rope.

If you'll please put your drug history in your signature, perhaps we can help with some advice on reinstating the drugs you quit cold turkey. There's no guarantee this will work three months out, but it may be worth a try.

I hope I can get through this, I am worried that there is something wrong with my brain and my Drs missed something,

Your brain function at the present time may be abnormal from going off antidepressants cold turkey, but that doesn't mean that there is something inherently wrong with your brain nor does it mean that this condition is permanent.

As for your doctors, there is no doubt they've missed a lot regarding the effects, side-effects, and after-effects of antidepresssants. Most of us on this forum have been seriously disillusioned with doctors, especially psychiatrists.

I encourage you to stick with this forum and read as much as you are able. It was the very best source of help I found in my recovery from Lexapro, which is not quite finished yet.

Post as often as you wish and ask all the questions that come to mind. Sometimes the answer is, "We don't know", but I think you'll find more valid information here than you will anywhere else.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Welcome, Jvbsr.

Did you also go off Xanax 3 months ago? Were you taking it regularly?

Almost all of us have found a complete lack of understanding from the medical profession about adverse effects from these drugs and withdrawal problems. Please do not blame yourself.

If you've been thoroughly checked out medically, it is likely what you have is an iatrogenic condition.

You did the right thing by going back on Luvox (reinstating) and I'm glad to hear this relieved some of your symptoms. That is a strong indication you were suffering withdrawal symptoms. Be patient, this will get better.

When your nervous system is more stable, you may wish to more gradually reduce Luvox later.

Many with gut issues have found non-irritating diets to be quite helpful, see this topic and http://survivinganti...apspaleo-diets/ and others in the Symptoms forum about gut problems.

NO,I am still taking Xanax to help with the anxiety I get, but this does not seem to be working as well as it use to.

My last Psych told me to quit the 25 mgs of Luvox I was taking because it was doing me absolutely nothing ,well apparently it was because soon after I started having all my gut problems.

He also started men on Prozac 10 mgs but I had to stop because I was having panic attacks every day sometimes 2 or 3 in a day.

My 2nd psychiatrist was switching me around with luvox and celexa,come to find out he was very ill himself and just closed his practice leaving me hanging.

I found another one,but I did not like his approach and 10 minute sessions,he was switching me from one drug to another,because it seems now I am very sensitive to anything I try.

I left him for my last and final Psych who has I think , done the most damage with his,".There's nothing I can do for you,you need to go into talk therapy."

So now I'm scrambling to find someone to help and as of now I have no one,so you can see my dilemma.

Thank you

Jay Benson Sr.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have liquid Luvox? I am curios because I am guessing at what 6mgs would be,the smallest dosage of Luvox I can get is 25 mgs,and I'm cutting it in to what I think is 1/4 sizes.

any help would surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jay Benson

• Administrator

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

With a prescription, you can also have Luvox compounded into smaller dosages.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Have you been taking a low dose of Luvox? How are you feeling?

Yes I have,but I'm only guessing at what dosage,I think it's around 6mgs ,I have cut back on my Xanax to .5 but I am taking it the way I am supposed to.

I am having a tough time,I was doing better when all I had to deal with was my GI problems,I am so confused right now ,I thought reinstating the Luvox

would help,but it just made matters worse.

I seeing a new Psych this Wednesday and I hoping to get a tapering plan in place, I want off these drugs so bad,but I feel I have been taking them to long.

Jay

• Moderator Emeritus

I have cut back on my Xanax to .5 but I am taking it the way I am supposed to.

I am having a tough time,I was doing better when all I had to deal with was my GI problems,I am so confused right now ,I thought reinstating the Luvox

would help,but it just made matters worse.

Jay, how much Xanax were you taking before you cut back, and how did you reduce to your current dose? This could be contributing to the way you feel. What are the directions you follow for your Xanax now, are you taking it all at night?~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jv...Just realized you are the one who belongs to the new post in the benzo forum, and I'll respond later today or tomorrow.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Jv, please be more precise in your dosages, by weighing with a digital scale or by making or getting liquid Luvox. You may be sensitive to small variations.

Don't count on getting tapering advice from a psychiatrist. Many of them haven't got a clue.

I am supposed to take 1 mgs in the morning 1 mgs in the afternoon and 1 mgs before bed.

I have cut that to .5. The problem is,that with my hectic schedule it's not possible to take the drugs precisely the same time everyday it's just a fact of life I have no control over.

I contacted Dr. Mark D Green and asked him if he new any psychiatrist in my area that could help me,he was gracious enough to reply and recommended Dr.Joseph Goldberg MD, While not billing himself as taper expert he is very careful and sensitive and will understand.

Problem is he does not accept any insurance and is strictly cash only,talk about taking advantage of people,this irks me more than ever.

Alto,I Googled luvox and it is available in liquid form ,and yes your right about the psychiatrist,but I have to start somewhere,

I explained to the psychiatrist I am going to see this Wednesday, exactly what I wanted to do and if she had a problem with it, that I am not going to waste my time,she said she had no problem and would do what ever it took to get me to feel better,we will see!

I think for the most part I have a dual scenario going,I was feeling ok except for the Gi problems after I stopped the 25mgs of Luvox, the GI problems went full bore a month later,I'm thinking now that this was just the start of withdrawal and the other symptoms

manifested themselves just as I introduced Luvox back into my system,it seems that the GI problems were just the beginning because I was not off the drug for more than 3 months,so it seems to me that the onset of these new symptoms coincided with my

reinstating the luvox,I have to discern which problem I am having withdrawal or sensitivity to reinstating luvox,I believe latter because it seems to fit the pattern of SSRI withdrawal with a lot of anxiety tossed in for good measure ,when I can think clearly for a few moments

it seems to make sense to me.

But I could be wrong and I won't know that with out some intervention of some kind,so I hoping to get some answers this Wednesday,again we will see.

JVBSR

• Moderator Emeritus

I am supposed to take 1 mgs in the morning 1 mgs in the afternoon and 1 mgs before bed.

I have cut that to .5. The problem is,that with my hectic schedule it's not possible to take the drugs precisely the same time everyday it's just a fact of life I have no control over.

Are you at .5 Xanax XR Bid or are you taking it once a day. How long ago did you reduce and was this at the same time as you reduced Luvox. You may be having withdrawal due to the reduction in xanax as well, especially given a 30 yr. history. I responded to your post in the benzo thread.....

~S

I am taking Xanax 3 times a day as prescribed, except that I cut it back to .5 mgs.

Heres the problem,I never took the Xanax as prescribed, I took it when I felt anxious which I can see now that I should have taken it the way it was meant to be taken,but this is the way I have always taken it.

I was on Xr for awhile but it made me very drowsy at the end of the day,that I took 3 times a day as prescribed, I stopped that over a year go and went back to taking regular Xanax as I felt I need it.

I did not reduce the luvox my Dr psycho told me to stop taking the luvox 25 mgs because it was not doing me any good,So like an idiot I stopped ,this was in the beginning of August ,so you see I am only a few months off the drug.

I went cold turkey 4 yrs ago in July and was fine for a few days and then I got hammered with withdrawal ,my third Psych said it was sudden discontinuation syndrome and put me on celexa .I don't recall the dosage but it was high.

Since that time I have never been the same and I am wondering if this is just an on going thing from 4 yrs ago ,because I stopped the celexa and was put on luvox, which I think I should have been put back on instead of going to

celexa, his reasoning was SSRI's are all the same,not! you know the rest,the last year alone 6 different drugs to which I reacted to all of them, side effects were horrendous and had to quit after a couple of weeks.

So this is where I am at, 6mgs approximately started out at 25mgs a month ago,taking xanax when ever I felt I need it, to the schedule I described ,.5mgs xanax 3 times a day and luvox 6mgs taken at 8 pm.

I no longer can sleep and when I do any heavy exercise I get really dizzy ,I am concerned about the dizziness because it also causes motor control problems,as if my body is not functioning correctly .

I have a lot of other symptoms that are signs of withdrawal I won't list them because there the same as a lot of symptoms that people here are complaining about.

JvbSr

• Moderator Emeritus

I reintroduced 12 mgs of Luvox to help with the GI problems and it seems to have helped,but now I am back to being scared for my life,I have no one to help me,I have been to all my Drs and they can find nothing wrong.I have yet to find a psychologist who is willing to take me on.I am at the end of my rope.

I am taking Xanax 3 times a day as prescribed, except that I cut it back to .5 mgs.

So this is where I am at, 6mgs approximately started out at 25mgs a month ago,taking xanax when ever I felt I need it, to the schedule I described ,.5mgs xanax 3 times a day and luvox 6mgs taken at 8 pm.

Hi Jay.. to sumarize, you were at 12 mgs of Luvox a month ago, and have tapered down to 6 mgs at present? If I have this right, that is a big drop. You need to hold at a consistent dose, and Alto can much better advise you on AD taper specifics.

And xanax is .5 mgs TID. You mention holding at this schedule.. a very good idea, but then refer to taking xanax as needed. Does this mean you take extra at times? I think it probably you are having withdrawal issues from xanax as well, given the 50% cut you took a few months back, so you need to keep to the same schedule every day.

You put in a sig line, and the history is very good, but it would help if you added what you are taking daily, and how long you have been at that dose. I'm sure doing things this way is pretty confusing at present.

As Rhi said in her response, you need to STABILIZE!!! No more cuts in anything until you feel better than you do now. It seems like you have not felt really good for the past 4 years, but at times have felt quite a bit worse. This was because you kept having your doses readjusted before your system could compensate for the changes. Your body is very sensitive now, and you will need to go sloooowly. This helps enormously. As stated before, I've been tapering for well over 2 years, and feel pretty good most of the time. I'm very glad not to have had a doc who kept jerking my drugs around.. YIKES. I'm so sorry you have had such a difficult time.

schuyler Hi, you and Rhi are right and after having a very bad panic attack while driving the company vehicle,I have decided that I need to get stabilized first and then start my tappering from there,I am out of control right now

and need to be in the right frame of mind,so tomorrow I am asking a Psych to help me ,something I do not want to do,but at this point and time I have no choice,she is supposed to be very good at what she does.

I have indicated that I intend to get off this poison, but right now I need a stable platform from where I can start,anymore drug reducing ,increasing will be done strictly to get me stabilized no more.

I will post after I meet with her and see if she is the caring and understanding person she claims to be.

JVBSR

Well I went an talked to a this psych today and as Alto and some suggested ,it was not going to be the way I wanted it,She made some good points about the trauma to brain from having high voltage surge through it,Like a couple of other Psychs did.

Your brain has been altered by the electricity that surged through it, I can understand that having 11,000 volts surge through anything is not going to make it better,although I think sometimes its just what I need.

She agreed that I was suffering from withdrawal and between my Psychs and myself, I have become hypersensitive to any amounts of drug changes and should take my Xanax the way I was prescribed for now.

She can't understand why the the last Psych told me to stop the luvox cold turkey, that this set me up for a barrage of problems ,hey like I don't know that.

She is affiliated with Yale and Bridgeport mental health and is involved in a new program that test a persons tolerance to all psych drugs,while I am intrigued by this new method , I was told to keep an open mind

that I may have to take a little dosage of what ever to keep me stable,that when I kicked my wife in the foot,indicating that this was something that she was going to say,I told her that she needed to keep an open mind

that I want off the drugs and this was my long term goal, she agreed and said putting that aside for now I need to get stable and stay that way for awhile, she said your quality of life right now is not good and the most

important thing right now is to get me on the right track and get stabilized,she checked my heart and blood pressure which was good and took a case history and just could not believe what I have been through.

I told her of my symptoms that I am having right now and agreed that my reintroducing the luvox after being off it for 4 months triggered the problems I'm having right now.

She asked me why I reinstated the drug and I told her because of the GI problems I was having ,did the problem get better ,yes it did but now I'm having all these other withdrawal problems.

This blood test that they do test your reaction to all psychotropic drugs ,how their broken down and which ones will be toxic to your system,she showed me an example of a patient and how the chart works.

This is all well and good i said but what do I do now to get myself back on track ,she told me to stay where I am,don't alter anything give my body a chance to heal,well here goes nothing.

JVBSR

• Administrator

What electricity???

Since you've been changing your Xanax dosage and Luvox dosage at the same time, it's impossible to tell what's causing your symptoms.

It seems likely to me that the sleeplessness, anxiety, etc. were caused by the Xanax reduction.

It also possible your gastrointestinal problems are an adverse effect of the Xanax, see http://www.drugs.com/pro/xanax.html

I suggest you hold both the Xanax and 6mg Luvox dosage steady for a while.

Alto, I had a near fatal accident back in 1978,I was working for Metro North RR as a High Power Distribution Lineman and backed into an 11,000 volt line that was supposed to dead and grounded.

The power surged through my head and out my butt when I fell to the ground, I thought I mentioned that in my intro.

What did you think was wrong with me that I would take anti depressants for so long? Ive been screwed over more than you can possibly imagine ,Between Drs and Lawyers I'm lucky not to be on death row for what they did to me.

The symptoms of PTSD are very similar to those that are diagnosed as being depressed, a diagnoses that my first Psych made and almost cost me my life when I tried to commit suicide, He was the first in a line of many, that if I had

been in the right frame of mind could have sued for malpractice ,he completely missed diagnosed what was wrong with me,and when I finally got my head straight, I went after him, but unfortunately I was too late,I missed the statues

by one day and the lawyer I hired was a lawyer who defended Drs against malpractice,He said why did you wait so long? you had a great case,this accident has cost me more than just money,it cost me family,friends and my mind.

Now I'm just looking to get stable,I don't know how many years I have left no one does, but before I die I would like to have at least one year of ,how I was before I got hurt, I don't think I'm asking for too much, with out your health you got nothing.

• 6 months later...

I have been away for a while and just whant to give you an update as to what is going on in my life.

I have been off Luvox for 8 months now and I'm still having very bad w/d s'xs.

As some of you know last year the psych I was seeing told me to c/t the 25 mgs of Luvox I was on

because he said it was doing nothing for me,since then I have been in severe distress and have had

ct scans of my Gi tract and just recently a brain MRI. all show that i am fine except for a little sinus disease.

I printed out the symptoms list and basicaly I have all but a few of the symptons discribed on the list.

I have severe anxiety and I am really off balance ,so bad sometimes that I find my self having to hold on to

something because I'm afraid I will fall,all this time I am still working.

I am seeing a psych right now who is trying very hard to help,unfortunatly I am still taking Xanax 3mgs a day.

I also feel that i am in tolorance withdrawal from the x and i am getting a double shot of s/xs.

Just recently I convinced my psych that I needed to withhraw from the X and started to do a very slow taper,

the first cut was disasterous because my s/xs went throught the roof,I thought I was going to die and I updosed.

My psych is away for a couple of weeks and I have contacted her to tell her what happened,I tried to explain to her that

I still think that I am suffering from SSRI W/d and she said after 8 months that she doubts this is the problem.

I tried to updose 9 months ago on luvox with disasterous results,my symptoms went throught the roof and again

I had to come off the luvox ,but i did a very quick taper,I am so sensitive to any drugs right now,that no matter what I

try  my S/xs go throught the roof.How do I convince my psych that I am still in SSRI w/d,I also have a lot of stress in my life

and this I know is a contributing factor,and taking time off from my job is not an option,nor is adding another med.

I am in a very bad place right now and I just don't see a soultion to my problem,I can't even handle a small reduction

in my X without going into severe symptoms.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Jay

• Administrator

Jv, I merged your topics for a more complete view of your history. Please bookmark this topic and add your updates to it.

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time.

It's very hard to convince psychiatrists of any adverse reactions to their drugs. You may wish to find a different doctor rather than change this one's mind.

See http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v for a list of doctors who may be helpful.

Altostrata,

Thank you,

It’s not that she doesn’t believe she does, as a matter of fact she is very Benzo wise

and believes that my being off the SSRI for 8 months should not be a factor.

She is willing to help me get off the X, but can’t believe that I am having such

adverse reactions to just a little cut in dosage; it may be my fault too, because

I’m not micro tapering, I just sanded down the pill to what I thought might be

.125 mgs. After reading the Ashton Manual, she suggested .0625 mgs.cuts.

So I may have cut too much and it really brought on severe symptoms, I have a great amount of anxiety right now and she believes

this is the key factor in what’s going on with me.

I have never really stabilized since Oct of 2012 and it’s been a battle on and off since then.

Right now my G.I. problems are back and this is where it all started in early 2012.

Now throw in the psych symptoms and I’m getting a double whammy.

She is very sympathetic and I have given her plenty to read including the

Benzo Book by  Jack Hobson-Dupont.

I know she can help, she said she would do anything I wanted, now all

I need to do is convince her that I’m still in SRI withdrawal, so I printed

out the symptom list that you have here for SSRI withdraw and will

bring it to her,She has always said that I will have a very hard time

getting off the X, that my taper must be very slow.

I should have waited to start tapering after she got back from her vacation.

I was convinced that I could handle it, but I had no one to talk to me

when the going got bad, she is in contact with me now and knows what’s going on.

She is in Italy right now and she gave me her email address and told

Me to contact her if I need her, I did and she responded.

Where are you going to find a DR/psych who is willing to do that?

I just have to find the strength to go through with taper and believe

that what is happening to me is just symptoms and nothing else.

This has always been my down fall, I just can’t convince myself

like other people that there’s nothing wrong with me physically.

I will leave it at that for now,I was just looking for help on how to convince her

that I’m still in SSRI W/D.

Jay

• Administrator

I'm glad you can have an intelligent conversation with her.

Whether you can convince her you're suffering SSRI withdrawal or not, your autonomic nervous system is clearly very sensitive. She's correct in that you will need to go off the benzo very carefully.