hi from skknut

skknut

Here's a bit of an intro for me: I've been trying to get off of anti-depressants for over 10 years - with many setbacks that have almost always ended up with me crashing dismally and going back on. The ray of hope that's kept me trying is that each time I learn a little bit more about myself that makes me think progress might be possible. So at this point, I've been off anti-depressants almost entirely for about year now. However, this has been with much struggle and some real relational / professional damage. I've once again experienced a goodly portion of irritability, crabby moods, and debillitating anxiety. In addition, a lot of the time I simply can't access the part of my brain that has motivation and energy - that used to exist before I went on them. I don't know if others have experienced this and gotten through, but I'd be grateful to hear more about it if you have.

• Moderator Emeritus

What were you taking and how fast did you get off the drug(s)?

I "tapered" (too fast) off of Lexapro a year ago, taking my last crumb of a pill on December 14, 2011. I went through a hellish withdrawal and am still having some withdrawal symptoms such as getting depressed or anxious easily, and that lack of motivation you mentioned.

What I want you to know is that the symptoms fade away in what we call "windows and waves" and that, while I'm not completely healed, I'm much, much better than I was last winter.

You can read my story by clicking the link in my signature.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.