flower switched to liquid celexa

flower

• Administrator

I don't mean to butt in but I've changed to liquid Celexa and am having a whole new host of symtoms. I'm dizzy cannot sleep and have increased anxiety. I'm wondering if switching to liquid will take a while to get use to.

flower, I moved this post here.

When you were cutting up tablets, you were estimating the dosage. You can get a more precise dosage with the liquid.

It sounds like maybe you were taking slightly too little liquid, and since you increased by .5mg, it's closer to the tablet dosage you were taking before.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for the reply. I believe you are right. I slept last night. I'm cooking this morning. I love to cook. I took the 7mgs of Celexa and now I'll get busy so I don't notice the rush so much. Here goes...

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

flower, I'm so glad to read you are improving. Way to gooo.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Excellent, flower. I'd stay at 7mg for at least a month. Don't get antsy and increase again, leave well enough alone!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much for the reply. I believe you are right. I slept last night. I'm cooking this morning. I love to cook. I took the 7mgs of Celexa and now I'll get busy so I don't notice the rush so much. Here goes...

Yay!!!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Excellent, flower. I'd stay at 7mg for at least a month. Don't get antsy and increase again, leave well enough alone!

Thanks for the advice cause I was doing exactly that.Thinking of increasing anothe .5mgs.I'm still not right but I'll wait a while.

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

I thought I'd drop in to say,I'm feeling a bit better this morning.Still not where I should be but the .5mg has made a big difference.I can't imagine taking 20mgs again.This stuff is so potent.One thing I might add is if you're taking the liquid be sure to dispense the med onto the back of your tongue and not squirt it into your mouth.It can cause issues with your sinuses and throat.I hope the anxiety stays to a minimum today.Thanks so much for advice.

All the hot flashes have stopped! I actually get sleepy in the evening now. Mornings are still a little difficult but by far,not like it was. I'll not taper Celexa again for a bit but will think of the 6 mgs of trazadone next to see if I feel any better in the morning. ..

• Moderator Emeritus

All the hot flashes have stopped! I actually get sleepy in the evening now. Mornings are still a little difficult but by far,not like it was. I'll not taper Celexa again for a bit but will think of the 6 mgs of trazadone next to see if I feel any better in the morning. ..

Yeah!!!! Withdrawal related hot flashes are stinky, if anything they are worse than the 'real deal'. I'm glad they are gone and you are getting sleep. Right On.

Hmmm, I wonder if the 'guys' get 'em too?

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Yeah!!!! Withdrawal related hot flashes are stinky, if anything they are worse than the 'real deal'. I'm glad they are gone and you are getting sleep. Right On.

Hmmm, I wonder if the 'guys' get 'em too?

That's a good question.Any info on why nerves burn during this process? My feet bother me alot and muscle pain is a real pain in the butt...

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a good question.Any info on why nerves burn during this process? My feet bother me alot and muscle pain is a real pain in the butt...

Sorry, I have no idea on the nerves part.

I would love to know if any of our male 'guys' get hot flashes from withdrawal!! Posted Image

Are you still taking a benzo?? I had burning in my feet and I had no idea this was the cause until I read a post on this site, tried moderate walks again and found the burning was gone. Merdre, 20 years I put up with burning feet without realizing a benzo was the culprit (almost finished my benzo taper so the current dose is negligible). (edit 10:40 AM)

I believe something I'm taking is causing my feet to hurt and burn .This morning I was feeling great and now I feel that old anxiety creeping back for some reason. I can't seem to stay at any level for long on this Celexa. Thanks for the reply,keep in touch. I love the fact I can come here to talk to people like myself.We understand each other.

After having those few good days the crap is starting all over again. I could feel that anxiety coming back last evening. I didn't sleep and my guts are in knots. Alto, is it time to cut the Celexa again? I'm afraid if I mess with the Trazadone I won't sleep. I can't think to well so I'll come back later. I took 3 tylenol yesterday? I hate this. That so called window wasn't long enough.

• Moderator Emeritus

I believe something I'm taking is causing my feet to hurt and burn .This morning I was feeling great and now I feel that old anxiety creeping back for some reason. I can't seem to stay at any level for long on this Celexa. Thanks for the reply,keep in touch. I love the fact I can come here to talk to people like myself.We understand each other.

When did the burning in your feet start? Has worsening or improvement coincided with an increase or decrease in gabapentin. Your sig line indicates you take 300 mgs gabapentin BID? Is there any relationship to when you take this? Is the burning lessened or increased by withdrawal?

When did the burning in your feet start? Has worsening or improvement coincided with an increase or decrease in gabapentin. Your sig line indicates you take 300 mgs gabapentin BID? Is there any relationship to when you take this? Is the burning lessened or increased by withdrawal?

The burning started before the gabapentin.It's been almost 2 years.I've been on the gabapentin since the beginning and the trazadone because the pain wouldn't let me sleep.Then the ADs because of anxiety over the pain.What a mess.To tell you the truth Vicodin saved my life.I've gotten away from it now.I'm curious if this stuff is needed or not?I know I'll have problems tapering gabapentin for sure.I took my meds and feel a bit better.I wonder if the 1500mgs of Tylenol got me sick.I think I'll stick to fish oil and advil.Sometimes I feel like such an idiot.All this itching could be Tylenol?I can't tell if gabapentin helps or not anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time... argh, you got put on ADs because you had anxiety about a physical illness? WOW

Alto is aces with side effects, but take a gander at what I've pulled up on Tylenol. Sounds like you may be having an allergic reaction, or at the least an undesirable systemic response. There is much more, I entered tylenol side effect itching and got a lot of hits.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time... argh, you got put on ADs because you had anxiety about a physical illness? WOW

Alto is aces with side effects, but take a gander at what I've pulled up on Tylenol. Sounds like you may be having an allergic reaction, or at the least an undesirable systemic response. There is much more, I entered tylenol side effect itching and got a lot of hits.

WOW that sounds like me.It's been 12 days since I updosed .5mgs of Celexa. Could I be withdrawing again? I guess I'll give it a day or 2 to see if this stuff stops. I really don't feel good again. I took 2 fish oil pills this evening.Maybe it will help. I will stay away from Tylenol for a while...Thanks alot for the info..Who knows, you could have saved a life?

I have this awful chirping in my ears these last few mornings. Could it be the updose of .5mgs of Celexa slowed the WD for a few weeks? And now it begins again? If so I hope it doesn't get like it was before the updose. Maybe 2 weeks will make a difference? Not sleeping well again. Appetite poor and underlying anxiety is an issue...I learned my lesson, DO NOT cut Celexa 10 mgs in less than 2 months....

• Moderator Emeritus

I have this awful chirping in my ears these last few mornings. Could it be the updose of .5mgs of Celexa slowed the WD for a few weeks? And now it begins again? If so I hope it doesn't get like it was before the updose. Maybe 2 weeks will make a difference? Not sleeping well again. Appetite poor and underlying anxiety is an issue...I learned my lesson, DO NOT cut Celexa 10 mgs in less than 2 months....

I would say your observation is on the money... but if you hold at the same dose of Celexa for 2, maybe 3 of months, that will wane, and then you can taper down the rest of the way with only a mild tinnitus uptick here and there. It does not need to be a big and ongoing problem, though the next few weeks may be trying.

• Administrator

Is the chirping (tinnitus) a new symptom?

Do you take large doses of Tylenol often? Do you take any pain pills?

What other medications are you taking?

Is the chirping (tinnitus) a new symptom?

Do you take large doses of Tylenol often? Do you take any pain pills?

What other medications are you taking?

Yes the chirping is new.It lasted a couple hours yesterday. I have it again this morning. Yes I have taken alot of Tylenol in the past. Alot of times 1500mgs at once. I take gabapentin 2xs 300mgs and Trazadone to sleep 75mgs. I'm having alot less muscle pain these last few days. I feel as though WD has begun again? Did the extra.5mgs of Celexa buffer the WD for a couple weeks or maybe this is the poop out phase? In the past this is when I would taper again and get really sick. I just want this done.. Thanks again for your help.

I wonder if these meds are causing my pain in my feet or preventing me from healing? I take that 7mgs of Celexa and my whole day changes. I need off this pill and it's so hard to be patient when I get so sick. Any comments on prescribing SSRIs for pain? While in detox for ativan the Doc told me not to depend on antidepressants for pain? I saw so many people in WD there that were being put on so many meds. I was the only person there trying to get off meds. They told me there was nothing more they could do for me. I was switched to another AD and discharged the next day. I came home to WDing from Zoloft and went back 3 months later suicidal. One day I will be able to tell my story too. Thank god for my family and husband. Celexa is ruining my life. It's hard to keep taking it everyday. 7mgs is better that 20. Crying again this morning,missing my mom. Her dying wish was for me to free of this torment. She was so sick on meds also. I believe in the end it killed her when the Doc took her off oxycodone cold turkey. She never recovered and passed away 4 weeks later. That's another story. Enough feeling sorry for myself. Wish me luck,it's almost time to take Celexa.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes the chirping is new.It lasted a couple hours yesterday. I have it again this morning. Yes I have taken alot of Tylenol in the past. Alot of times 1500mgs at once.

I just learned tylenol can cause tinnitus by Googleing tinnitus and I will not takie this anymore given the tinnitus I'm wrestling with. Did you have tinnitus before taking Tylenol, and if so, it was worse after taking tylenol? Did you have ringing in your ears before you took Tylenol?

I take gabapentin 2xs 300mgs and Trazadone to sleep 75mgs. I'm having alot less muscle pain these last few days. I feel as though WD has begun again? Did the extra.5mgs of Celexa buffer the WD for a couple weeks or maybe this is the poop out phase? In the past this is when I would taper again and get really sick. I just want this done.. Thanks again for your help.

You are having LESS muscle pain but withdrawal has started again. Is this correct, if so.. what other symptoms do you have that make you say WD has begun again? Up dosing celexa by .5 mgs can temporarily buffer WD.. then your system accommodates. What are you referring to as poop out, do you mean your symptoms got worse because you stayed at the same dose for too long, doing so does not cause your symptoms to get worse, though lag time... or as you aptly put it.. a temporary buffer effect could make this seem so.

I wonder if these meds are causing my pain in my feet or preventing me from healing? I take that 7mgs of Celexa and my whole day changes. I need off this pill and it's so hard to be patient when I get so sick. Any comments on prescribing SSRIs for pain? While in detox for ativan the Doc told me not to depend on antidepressants for pain? I saw so many people in WD there that were being put on so many meds. I was the only person there trying to get off meds. They told me there was nothing more they could do for me. I was switched to another AD and discharged the next day. I came home to WDing from Zoloft and went back 3 months later suicidal. One day I will be able to tell my story too. Thank god for my family and husband. Celexa is ruining my life. It's hard to keep taking it everyday. 7mgs is better that 20. Crying again this morning,missing my mom. Her dying wish was for me to free of this torment. She was so sick on meds also. I believe in the end it killed her when the Doc took her off oxycodone cold turkey. She never recovered and passed away 4 weeks later. That's another story. Enough feeling sorry for myself. Wish me luck,it's almost time to take Celexa.

given ativan with 20mgs of prozac 2010 for anxiety over uncontrolled pain in my feet.

Reading your sig line, you had pain in your feet before you ever started on ADs or other meds? It's most likely still the same issue. Your doc is right about this, ADs have been shown ineffective for pain, but the myth persists and docs keep handing them out for this. I was put on an AD for pain 30 years ago and this just keeps on coming. As fast as one AD is shown ineffective, big phama introduces a 'new and improved' version.

You feel much different after you take Celexa... how so, are you worse or better? How dreadful about your mother, what a terrible thing to have happened.

Unless you have some sort of an adverse reaction to Celexa, etc., you are best to taper slowly off. The changes you are responding to are already in your body, and dropping off suddenly may make you worse longer than if you gradually come off. Hang in there!

I did have the pain in my feet before the meds. The pain is the reason for the meds. I have had less pain taking fish oil? I feel very different after I take the Celexa. I have always hated to take it. Isn't it suppose to calm me down? I become anxious and the fog in my head is terrible. I have racing thoughts and become very hyperactive. I thought the symptoms returning are WD. I dropped alot of Celexa in a short while. The doc at the hospital discharged me after lowering my dose from 15mgs to 10 mgs I felt okay for a about 4 weeks then began to WD again. I thought it was the Celexa making me sick so like a fool I dropped it to 5mgs 42 days ago. 2 weeks later I updosed to 6.5mgs. 2 weeks later to 7mgs and have been holding. I have some rough days. The anxiety and the head stuff are the worst. Sleep appetite focus mood are awful. The liquid is better than chopping pills. Sorry to whine I have noone else to whine to..Should I updose again to 7.5mgs?

• Moderator Emeritus

I did have the pain in my feet before the meds. The pain is the reason for the meds. I have had less pain taking fish oil? I feel very different after I take the Celexa. I have always hated to take it. Isn't it suppose to calm me down? I become anxious and the fog in my head is terrible. I have racing thoughts and become very hyperactive. I thought the symptoms returning are WD. I dropped alot of Celexa in a short while. The doc at the hospital discharged me after lowering my dose from 15mgs to 10 mgs I felt okay for a about 4 weeks then began to WD again. I thought it was the Celexa making me sick so like a fool I dropped it to 5mgs 42 days ago. 2 weeks later I updosed to 6.5mgs. 2 weeks later to 7mgs and have been holding. I have some rough days. The anxiety and the head stuff are the worst. Sleep appetite focus mood are awful. The liquid is better than chopping pills. Sorry to whine I have noone else to whine to..Should I updose again to 7.5mgs?

Alto is the taper person, and she may be able to better answer your question with the added detail above. Good description.

Gabapentin can help with pain, I've found Lyrica (a cousin) to be good. Alto said I would have benefited by a lower dose, so I'm tapering down now. Ugh... sloww given I'm kicking the last of my benzo now.

Fish oil is good stuff and may help with the pain... have you read the Omega 3 thread? Sorry you got stuck on all the ADs for this, they do not help, at least not enough to compensate for the side effects they come with, and very possibly not at all.

This morning I am going to take an extra.5mgs of Celexa to see if it helps with these WDs a little. Also I have to get fish oil as I believe it helps with my pain. I will get a better brand and take less. I bought Sundown Naturals 1400mgs last. Would the fish oil have anything to do with the ringing in my ears? I see that the ringing is also a common WD. Today I won't take fish oil to see if the ringing is better tomorrow. Several others have mentioned the ringing during WDing from Celexa. This is a first for me. It is impossible to go back to sleep. Who sleeps anyhow? I hope for a better day. I need to sleep. I forgot to mention I'm not so itchy since I stopped taking Tylenol but I have to find something for pain. I don't want more gabapentin.

My husband called to tell me his mom was being discharged from the hospital. Her Doc took all her meds. Said she didn't need them. One was Celexa 20mgs. He gave her Ativan. Her issue was not being able to breathe. When the prednisone wears off what do you suppose will happen to this old lady? This is the same Doc that took Oxys from my mom before she died. We are worried. Trying to get her to change Docs is like pulling teeth. Any advice on who to report a Doctor to?

• Administrator

flower, do you feel worse after you take your Celexa in the morning? What is your symptom pattern? When do you take your other medications, do you get any reactions from them?

I wonder if withdrawal hasn't sensitized your system, and you had a hypersensitive reaction to Tylenol that touched off the tinnitus.

There must be an NHS system to complain about a doctor. If this one keeps yanking people off their drugs without tapering, he may be dangerous.

flower, do you feel worse after you take your Celexa in the morning? What is your symptom pattern? When do you take your other medications, do you get any reactions from them?

I wonder if withdrawal hasn't sensitized your system, and you had a hypersensitive reaction to Tylenol that touched off the tinnitus.

There must be an NHS system to complain about a doctor. If this one keeps yanking people off their drugs without tapering, he may be dangerous.

I took an extra.5mgs this morning to see if the anxiety would abate. Yes I feel worse when I take the Celexa in the morning.I take the gabapentin at the same time. I will try 7.5mgs of Celexa for a few days. Celexa is very stimulating to me. I am now down to the last 3 meds in my life. I would like to control my pain with gabapentin and nothing else. That is my goal. This anxiety from WD is in my way. I shouldn't have tapered so quickly. I agree this Doctor is dangerous. He is my Doctor also!

flower... I read your thread after replying to you in a PM.

This doctor you mentioned is off the wall! No one, at any age, should just stop taking 20mg Celexa - or many other medications for that matter. That doctor is dangerous!

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

flower, if it makes you feel worse, I wouldn't take more of it! If it's stimulating, I'd take less.

Try taking Celexa and gabapentin at different times of day, so you can tell which is doing what.

I take gabapentin in the evening that puts me at ease. It's just that since I tapered to 5mgs I can't control the anxiety. When I updosed the first time I did okay for a few days. I updosed today .5mgs and had a few good moments in the afternoon. I'm frightened of what to do. I tapered so fast I haven't been able to catch up,if you know what I mean. Do you think I made a big mistake taking the .5mgs today? I'm ready to drop this pill and say p*** on it. I just need some peace so I can gain some strength. I was sleeping and doing better at 10mgs until I began to WD from the tapering.

On the other hand maybe my ears won't be ringing in the morning. Should I have relief after an updose right away or would it take a few days. I'm kind of nauseated right now geez I only took .5mgs

• Administrator

....I feel very different after I take the Celexa. I have always hated to take it. Isn't it suppose to calm me down? I become anxious and the fog in my head is terrible. I have racing thoughts and become very hyperactive....

Is this what happens after you take Celexa in the morning?

Another possibility is that it is conflicting with trazodone's metabolite mCPP. You might hold the Celexa steady and reduce trazodone by maybe 5mg.

I failed to mention I worked in a state mental institution until I retired in 2009. Behavior Modification at that. I saw alot of drugs being passed to people who had no choices.Up until that time I'd never taken a drug. I hurt my feet kickboxing after I retired..Hence pain and the the ADs.

My ears started ringing after taking the gabapentin last night and were still like that when I got up It has ceased as of now.I hope this will pass.The updose has made me nauseated this morning. I think I'll skip it today and try to ride this out.I hope I didn't mess everything up. 7mgs and holding.Surely this will stabilize soon. I hate to spend another Christmas ill. I'm going to cry, I hate that too