SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

alex

At 5 months Effexor free, I can say I´m healing.

No more powerful sudden changes of emotion, better apetite, less dysphoria.

What seems the be the main issue now is anxiety; even though I don´t get to the awful edge anymore, it´s always there.

Well anxiety has been an issue all my life, so I guess is something I will have to manage through this process and further on.

What frightens me sometimes is to think if I will have the endurance or strenght to keep on walking and not get discourage.

I am learning to separate emotions and feelings like being worried or tired from WD symptoms, it´s not easy.

Like right now I am tired and I tend to mistake it with dysphoria...I really don´t know.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

At 5 months Effexor free, I can say I´m healing.

How's that for a great Christmas present? :D

No more powerful sudden changes of emotion, better apetite, less dysphoria.

What seems the be the main issue now is anxiety; even though I don´t get to the awful edge anymore, it´s always there.

Well anxiety has been an issue all my life, so I guess is something I will have to manage through this process and further on.

What frightens me sometimes is to think if I will have the endurance or strenght to keep on walking and not get discourage.

I've had a lifelong problem with anxiety, but during withdrawal I finally learned to stay in the moment, which helps immensely. So much of my anxiety was worry or dread about what would happen in the future, whether tomorrow or next year. Finally it dawned on me that I am by no means a fortune teller, in fact things hardly ever work out the way I think they will. It is really true that this moment in time is all we have; it's all that's real. So if you're okay in this moment, savor that.

Also, I'm Christian, and I'm slowly coming to accept that God really does love me and is in control of everything. When you've had a scary father like mine, growing in faith isn't easy, but it's worth it. So if you have religious beliefs, now may be the time to turn to them for strength and comfort.

I am learning to separate emotions and feelings like being worried or tired from WD symptoms, it´s not easy.

Like right now I am tired and I tend to mistake it with dysphoria...I really don´t know.

I wouldn't get caught up in that. Much of what I felt in WD was neuro-emotion and it's helpful to tell yourself that's what the exaggerated emotions are - emotions that are exaggerated and possibly even manufactured by the instability of your nervous system. I was in withdrawal for about eleven months before my emotions began to feel like normal emotions, not those not-quite-real, amplified feelings that didn't seem to be a reaction to anything in reality. Yet I understand. When you're in withdrawal it's difficult to refrain from taking your emotional and physical temperature every five minutes or so to see if you're getting just a little bit better.

I'm so glad you're beginning to feel well again. There will be ups and downs from here on out, but the overall pattern is a maybe jerky, but upward slope. :)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello everybody, I hope your Christmas were merry, surrounded by your loved-ones.

Well, I´m still here, and fighting; this forum is like a journal for me, and I can tell the difference since my first post, aprox. 40 days ago.Much more control, less fear, better attitude.Back then I was really scared, I did not know what was goin on, and now thanks to you, I have the tools to deal with this hard process.

I don´t see my process so much as waves and windows, what I have noticed is that symptoms are not so bad as they were and this has been for the last month aprox.I DON´t get to the edge of distress and dispair anymore.

I do believe two things are hapening to me: I´m healing and I´m learning to deal with this situation; more aware of what is happening to me and doing the right things under your guide.

Anxiety is the main issue for me, but even that is much better.I´m geting pshycotherapy, wich is good, because I have issues that had been there ALL my life, and those issues triggered the awful deppression 5 years ago.

It is incredible sometimes, despite of the bad feelings and symptoms, this has been like a trip.

Things that are getting better: Dysphoria, dark thoughts, diahrrea, apetite, coping with daily stressors, sexualy with my couple and anxiety, still here with me, but as I said, I don´t get to that awful edgie feeling.

Insomnia (disrupted sleep) still here but I don´t fight it anymore and I´m able to sleep and rest.

I´m not taking ANY med. just natural stuff like Herb tinctures of Valerian, PassionFlower, etc.

I am NOT coming back to AD.

I am 5 months and 3 days aprox. Effexor free.

Happy New Year to you all.

• Administrator

Happy new year to you, Alex. Sounds like you're on your way to healing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is so good to have recovery stories.

congratulations on your hard work and commitment to recovery

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Always encouraging to hear the story of coming out on the other side!

How are you doing with regards to feelings of tiredness, have they gone away? Over 16 weeks off escitalopram now and I am noticing the WD symptoms are not there as heavily as they were before, especially the dreadful anxiety lets up more often than not, appetite getting better, sleep quality has improved. What I don't get is that I have moments of great energy and at other times, it is like I haven't slept in days, I feel extremely tired even tough it is less frequent lately, it still gets me down. I have been very careful not to consume caffeine but I am wondering if there is something I can do that would give me the necessary kick out of a sleepy state when necessary.

I too am trying to differentiate general feelings of tiredness from WD and also from anxiety but I think sometimes it comes in a bundle.

Happy healing and a beautiful New Year to everyone!

C/T off escitalopram (Lexapro 20 mg) after 5-7 years of use in September 2012.

Hi Mindbend and Peggy, thanks for you nice comments.

Regarding tiredness, I don´t have much problem with that; my main problem is anxiety.

But I have found that mind is a POWERFUL thing.It has brought me pain and took me to having to take AD in the first place.

Now, nearly 60 years old I´m begining to learn how to use that power to change my thinking and perception of both life and myself.

Mindbend, you are feeling better, the symptoms are not so bad...you are on your way;16 weeks is not much, be patient and keep walking, one day at a time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Always encouraging to hear the story of coming out on the other side!

How are you doing with regards to feelings of tiredness, have they gone away? Over 16 weeks off escitalopram now and I am noticing the WD symptoms are not there as heavily as they were before, especially the dreadful anxiety lets up more often than not, appetite getting better, sleep quality has improved. What I don't get is that I have moments of great energy and at other times, it is like I haven't slept in days, I feel extremely tired even tough it is less frequent lately, it still gets me down. I have been very careful not to consume caffeine but I am wondering if there is something I can do that would give me the necessary kick out of a sleepy state when necessary.

I too am trying to differentiate general feelings of tiredness from WD and also from anxiety but I think sometimes it comes in a bundle.

Happy healing and a beautiful New Year to everyone!

I don't want to get off track here in Alex's Intro, but I did want to say that I think it's especially important to listen to your body in withdrawal. If you feel tired, rest or sleep regardless of why you think you feel tired. Rest and sleep are healing, so we may need unusual amounts during wtihdrawal.

And now, back to Alex.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello, at 26 weeks since my last dose of Effexor, symptoms are getting weaker.

I feel that I´m getting back to the "baseline" I was before the big deppression and therefore before taking ssris.

But there is a BIG difference; somehow I feel I´m not the same person I was 5 years ago.

Circumstances are not the same, but most important, I´m not the same Alex;this process has forced me to go out from my "comfort zone" and do some really hard work on me, inelectually, emotionally and spiritually.

If I want to survive, I dont have any other choice than making some serious changes in me.

I´m a 59 year old man, so this scenario scares me sometimes; but this challenge is taking the best out of me, and most important of all, I´M NOT POISONING MY BRAIN AND SOUL WITH ANTIDEPPRESSANTS!

I think this is VERY important to keep in mind when we are suffering from WD.

Faith, patience, selfsteem, humbleness (sorry my english) virtues that were and still are very weak in me.I have to do some hard work in this field.

To finish, the main issue for me has to do with what I just said: FEAR... fear of never coming out from WD, even though I know I´m improving; self-boicot??

One symptom is not getting better: insomnia; tell me is the last thing that improves, please.

Bye now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex

Insomnia is usually the last thing to improve for me when I am stabilizing at a particular dose. What kind of sleep do you get? By that I mean do you have trouble falling asleep, do you wake up early or both?

Also, what kinds of things have you tried to improve your sleep? And do you drink coffee, have a lot of sugar?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to help

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hello Dalsaan, I have very disrupted sleep; I fall sleep, but I wake up every hour, tnen back to sleep, and so on.

I don´t drink cofee or any stimulant.If I´m able to sleep some I can handle it.

But it scares me when I wake up, thinking I won´t be able to go back to sleep again.

Usually I just take natural stuff; if I get anxious I take a little Xanax, 0.25mgs

Dear Jemima, thank you for your words, the problem is I feel tired when I have rested, i.e. went on a short holiday and I didnt want to leave the hotel bed after I would wake up naturally in the morning, have breakfast and come back to the room. Also if the extra rest was peaceful, I'd welcome it but any time I spend resting out of the night time sleep induces a lot of anxiety. I fall in and out of short periods of sleep with panic. I can't figure out what my body is telling me!

Alex, for me the last thing that started improving was my appetite, which is still touch and go, one of the first things to get regulated as I started feeling better was the night time sleep. I do have a regimen for it though so I don't know if it contributed to any improvements. I know insomnia is such a personal battle but let me share them with you in case you feel some of the things might work for you too.

Firstly, I began going to bed at the same time every evening even if I knew I wouldn't sleep (they say to not spend any time in bed if you are not sleepy but I had to love my bed by spending sometime in it). At the beginning, I had to take an over-the-counter sleeping aid but I was careful not to make this a habit. I would put on a comedy or some animated feel good movies and let them show one after another until I felt sleepy. There is something very relaxing about having a warm bath too, even if you are not a bath person, I'd recommend you give it a go with some aromatherapy to induce sleepiness right before bed time. I would go from a dark bathroom to a dark bedroom in my bathrobe not to energize my head again. It is known to work on babies who have manic night times, I believe it works on us big babies too!

I determined the time I'd go to sleep and started going to bed an hour before that time every night, with a book, something to watch and some valeriana and passion flower tea. They replaced the sleeping aids for me. Nothing worked like magic, one day I would have vivid dreams, the next day I would wake up in the middle of the night, one night when my dog wasn't feeling good I had one ear focused on his breathing all night with worry even. But what really helped me was the routine, just telling myself that all the preparation is to switch myself off for the night. I still have a horrible experience if I go to bed a little earlier or later, so I think programming my mind to anticipate sleeping at the same time has the most effect.

During the day, I don't consume any extra sugar and have quit caffeine all together. They might be contributing factors. I also try to go for a walk before going to bed but this is less regular. Take out anything with a bright light, be it an alarm clock, mobile or electronics (TV is bad enough in my case)

Please do share what works for you, for all I know my methods can fail me at any moment!

P.S. Xanax affected my sleeping patterns, even at half of a 0.25 mg. I'd feel calm and even energised for the first few hours, then come down with fatigue which would fade away but still mess up my sleeping later on. In fact, I used to experience exactly what you are saying, in and out of sleep throughout the night. I'd try to see if you can whether it gets better with it out of the equation.

Thank you Mindbend, most of the things you recommend, I do.

I prepare myself to sleep every night;the walking, tea, etc.

I have been able to deal with disrupted sleep, trying not to get anxious when I wake up but sometimes it´s hard.

Last night was bad, even though I got some sleep. I had some beverage with a lot of sugar in the afternoon; maybe that had someting to do?

I only take a little Xanax when I get anxious not going back to sleep.But in the end, I go back to sleep, disrupted, but I sleep.

Maybe it reminds me the bad deppression, when the pattern was similar but a lot worse.

On the other hand, I´m felling a lot better during the day, despite my daily problems, and I have a lot

I´m 26 weeks Effexor free.

• Administrator

A nice Epsom salts (magnesium) bath can be very relaxing before bed.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Alto; please tell me more about your experience with insomnia.

AS I´ve said, symptoms have become weaker; less anxiety, less unheavel emotions, more apetite, more functional; BUT, disrupted sleep is not getting any better, and even though I´m getting used to it, I don´t jnow why it stresses me so much.

I´m able to fall sleep, but I wake ub every hr. for the rest of the night.....sometimes I know I slept because I remember dreams.

It is hard.I s insomnia the symptom that takes longer to improve?

• Administrator

It could be, Alex.

Gentle regular exercise, not too late in the day, can help re-establish sleep patterns, too.

• Moderator Emeritus

I´m able to fall sleep, but I wake up every hr. for the rest of the night.....sometimes I know I slept because I remember dreams.

Are you sure that your bedroom is as dark as you can possibly make it? I strongly recommend using a sleep mask in addition. The tiniest bit of light, even 2 watts from a nightlight can disrupt a person's sleep when cortisol levels are out of whack.

For me, insomnia was the first symtpom to improve - after I got blackout curtains and wore a sleep mask. Once I was able to sleep, other symptoms began to lessen.

Hi Jemima; yes my room is dark enough.

I really think it is a matter of time; I´m taking a sleep aid that I used to take when I had the big deppression:BITTER ORANGE,fresh cut leaves...did not do much at that time, but things are not so bad, not even remotely.

Long time no hear from you....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello here I am again after some time no talking to you.

My message is mainly to tell all the sufferers, that I am healing.

It is a very very slow and hard process; sometimes I doubt, I dispair, but I can SEE the improvement in samall and big things.

My synapsis is coming back; I can deal with every day things without the awful anxiety or dysphoria attacks.Upheaval emotions are almost gone, very weak.

Despite of my daily stressors, I am in control; I´m not well,strange feelings of anxiety and depression still come and go, but I´ve had for the first time since I´m in W/D, some moments of happines, joy.I´m able to do things I could not do weeks or months ago.

Windows are getting better and waves are getting weaker.

I know there is more road ahead, but I think the worst is now behind.

FEAR, fear is the most powerfull emotion I had to deal with.

Two things are happening to me: I am healing from the terrible chemical imbalance and I´m learning to cope with the situation.

So my message is: HANG IN THERE! if I am doing it, you will too.One day a a time. I think this terrible experience is going to be very valuable for my future life.

5 months 23 days Efexxor free. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Great good news, Alex! Thanks for posting. :D

How wonderful Alex, hang in there and if another wave comes along, dont let it get you down, remember how you feel now and put it in the bank, your doing great and Im sooo happy to hear you feel better. xx Keep us all posted on how your doing. x

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Thank you Iggy, I want you to know that you are all my heroes.

I really believe that we are the vanguard, the pioneers, the men on the moon, we are making history.

Psyc.meds. will never be the same because of people like us.

HANG IN THERE! B)

From the "Steaming Jungles of Central America" (Some US President said that) BYE NOW.

I´m having a very hard time coping emotionally with Insomnia.

I have been able to manage for some time, but right now I´m having really hard times with it

I don´t know why it scares me so much, and it makes my symptoms like anxiety much worse.

It is a paradox, because other symptoms are getting better; windows are getting better and waves are getting weaker.

Please help me because I´m feeling terrible; even very bad dark thoughts.

Please help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alex,

I moved your current post here to your Intro because it's about your personal progress and problems.

Are you certain your bedroom is dark enough? A sleep mask might help. Have you tried Melatonin? Here's a link to another section of this forum which contains a lot of information on withdrawal symptoms, including sleeplessness:

Important topics about symptoms

I feel for you. I had terrible insomnia when I first went off Lexapro. Wearing a sleep mask and keeping the bedroom as dark as possible is what helped me the most.

I guess I've just repeated myself, but I'll let the post be in case you forgot what I said above.

• Administrator

Withdrawal insomnia is very difficult, Alex. Like other symptoms, it will get better with time.

Here are some suggestions for coping with sleep problems http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have noticed that my sleeping problems are worsening in the last weeks.

Two or three months ago, even with other symptoms, my sleep wasn´t that bad; I was taken Magnesium, and I stoped about 7 weeks ago.

Maybe there is a relation. Magnesium depleted??

6 Months Effexor free

• Administrator

Magnesium is relaxing and can help sleep.

Thank you Alto

I am in a very bad wave since last week; life sressors are very strong.

I have very bad money problems.Amxiety, depression, insomnia are getting worse. How do I know is not a relapse?

• Moderator Emeritus

Once we become sensitized during antidepressant withdrawal, any sort of stress can give us a setback. By that I don't mean a relapse, it's just that we are more easily emotionally upset than before the withdrawal. Your stressors may also have hit during a wave, making the wave worse.

I think going back on regular doses of magnesium might help. Have you tried fish oil? It generally helps to steady the nerves and help the brain stabilize. How about Melatonin for sleep? It doesn't work for everyone, but it's inexpensive and might be worth a try.

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad again. Unfortunately, this is the nature of antidepressant withdrawal after a too fast taper or cold turkey.

Hi Jemima, yes, I have been through very tough money problems in the last weeks, and maybe that triggered this awful wave.

Today I started with Magnesium and I hope it calms me down.

What I feel mostly is FEAR, fear of not coming out, of being disabled, non-functional...

But I´m learning many things about life and about me in this terrible journey.

Right now I´m feeling better, so it is not relapse; is the wave-window pattern.

Thanks for being there. :)

Hello, I would like somebody to tell me about sleeping problems, and how they evolve during w/d

I know I am in early w/d 6 and a half months, my sleep is very disrupted, I wake up every hr.and my quality of sleep is very bad.

How this symptom evolve in later w/d?

I would like your comments.

"Once disinhibition of the alerting system takes hold, it becomes self-perpetuating"

Does this means forever? Oh God!

Cautionary note: Lamotrigine may not be a universal treatment for withdrawal syndrome. If you want to try it, make sure you consult a doctor who is very familiar with using it and start with very small doses -- .5mg to begin, slowly titrate up to 5mg or more;

How slow Alto?

• Administrator

No, not forever, but it will take a while to settle down.