SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hippopotamus tapering off Seroquel

hippopotamus

Ok, I will take the advice of you guys seriously. Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Primrose, ofcourse it would be better for my mood and all if I wouldnt worry about it, but thats something that becomes very difficult if you're actually experiencing stuff like repeatedly having a very hard time verbalizing your thoughts and forgetting all kinds of things... it kind of continuously confronts you with this possibility.

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hippopotamus

• Altostrata

• primrose

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I will take the advice of you guys seriously. Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Primrose, ofcourse it would be better for my mood and all if I wouldnt worry about it, but thats something that becomes very difficult if you're actually experiencing stuff like repeatedly having a very hard time verbalizing your thoughts and forgetting all kinds of things... it kind of continuously confronts you with this possibility.

Of course it's difficult.

I have noticed my mind a lot clearer after reducing down from 200mg. Hopefully, my ankles and feet won't balloon out this summer either.

I hope I did not come across as umempathic to your situation.

What I was meaning was this: Due to withdrawal, I used to get irrational thoughts that DEMANDED I acted on them.

This resulted in me phoning my doctor over and over again about stuff I was obsessed about.

Nowadays, I still get the irrational thoughts, but I can now say to myself "These are withdrawal related I have to wait for them to pass"

It is uncomfortable, while waiting for these things to pass.

I also know what you mean about difficulty verbalazing your thougts. It is really frustrating and can make us feel vulnerable too.

It can be demoralizing when it is over and over again, and you have my full sympathy.

I wish I could make it better.

If I were you, I would definitely be holding for a month and then take it from there.

Meanwhile take really good care of yourself and try not to be hard on yourself.

I am always here to chat to also.

It's only been a week since my cut so I am just waiting for the tail end of the withdrawal to pass.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Ah Primrose, thanks for your understanding and empathy. Thats such a sweet reaction. :)

I understand what you're writing about, the withdrawal-induced worries and anxiety, that seem to demand immediate action. (However serious anxiety has that effect pretty frequently, also when not induced by wd. It's like your brain desperately wants OUT OUT OUT of the situation it finds so threatening and that must happen NOW. No time (and rest) to think things through and find rational, sensible solutions, immediate termination of the situation is of the utmost importance)

Yeah. Well I dont feel like my worries were WD-worries, just normal worries from feeling very distressed about the fact that I couldnt speak adequately anymore, multiple times, for a couple of days. And forgetting things that I normally dont forget.. I can imagine people who develop Alzheimer feel the same way. Really scary.

You say you know the experience. Have you been having the same kind of problems? Was it caused by your benzo-withdrawal or by something else?

And how are you feeling Primrose? How are you coping with the depressive complaints and the lack of motivation? Are you able to work? Have you been able to getting any wiser with regard to your rage-attack?

I hope you're as well as you can be. Thanks again for your posts. They're very valuable to me.

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

I've been having daily muscle-spasms and involuntary movements for the last couple of days.

While writing an article, I found more info on Tardive Dyskinesia. Seems it's consistently related to a decline in cognitive functioning.

Ofcourse, this only adds fuel to the worries I was already having regarding my memory- and speech-problems.

I cant find the words to describe how I feel. I was talking about this to a friend the other day, and she said something like I shouldnt worry because I'm such an intelligent person. I was like 'What the *****'? You're saying because I'm quite intelligent, it doesnt matter if I lose 5 or 10 poins of my IQ? It doesnt matter if I lose my speed of thinking? If I lose parts of my verbal fluency?

I know... things may clear up in time. Or they may not. They may even become worse. No one knows.

Anyway, I'd like to prevent the development of (any more?) TD. Supplementation with vitamin E, B6 and C is recommended, although there is no conclusive evidence regarding the efficiency of it. The recommended dosages are very high.

(For anyone interested, see: http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/treatment/vitamins.php

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/td.htm

The obvious problem here is that vitamin-supplements may worsen withdrawal-complaints. Anyone has any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hippopotamus,

It is suggested that you try each new supplement individually in case you have some adverse reaction or to see if it helps or not.

I have muscle twitches and flexes quite a bit. I'm not sure but I think seroquel and Risperdal are similar. When they first started, I was really scared but Alto told me they will go away.

I also had a lot of brain fog and memory issues, they have gotten a lot better at this lower dose. Maybe that will send some hope your way.

I was obsessed with getting off the meds and worried all the time about it, now I try not to think about it so much.

BTW, you do present yourself as being very intelligent. The majority of members on this forum seem to be. We're gonna be okay.

Hugs

Hi Hippo

Sorry, you've been having daily muscle-spasms and involuntary movements for the last couple of days.

Do you think that is because of the seroquel cut?

I would try not to worry about TD and other nasties, because you are doing all you can, you are preaparing your body for a safe taper.

Extra worry will also possibly make your symptoms worse. I think worry has a bad effect on the physical body.

I don't know if an updose would be advisable, to try to get you back to a place you can taper from?

Maybe others on here may have some knowledge or experience to be able to tell you if that is a prudent action.

I know updose is a step back, but if it is appropriate to updose, you could see it as a step forward to a more comfortable place to taper from. Let's see what the others think?

I know it's frustrating not to be able to verbally put yourself across to people. I had a problem with that sort of thing when I rang my doctors surgery yesterday for a repeat prescription. They insisted I wait till Monday to submit it, but I forgot that I had an email from them. If I had told them this, they may have let me have the repeat before Monday.

I found it helplful to read online about people who have successfully come off seroquel. It was important for me, while reading this, not to read any horror stories, or bad experiences, and just to focus on getting safely off it.

I wish I could say something more reassuring, but people do get off this stuff, and they do get better, and most importantly, you are going in the right direction.

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Thank you guys for your reactions! It IS probably a good idea to read stories about people who succesfully came off Seroquel. Primrose, do you have any links for me to such stories? Or should I just google? Well, I'll do that anyway :) But if you by any chance know a secret website loaded with success-stories, please share them with me! ;-)

I'm not going to increase my dose. I've been on my current dose for almost three months now, I think thats too long for succesful reinstatement. Also, I dont know if the symptoms are WD-symptoms of if they are 'normal' side-effects.

Primrose, how are you yourself doing? Are you in urgent need for that repeat prescription?

Thanks again guys!

Thank you guys for your reactions! It IS probably a good idea to read stories about people who succesfully came off Seroquel. Primrose, do you have any links for me to such stories? Or should I just google? Well, I'll do that anyway :) But if you by any chance know a secret website loaded with success-stories, please share them with me! ;-)

I'm not going to increase my dose. I've been on my current dose for almost three months now, I think thats too long for succesful reinstatement. Also, I dont know if the symptoms are WD-symptoms of if they are 'normal' side-effects.

Primrose, how are you yourself doing? Are you in urgent need for that repeat prescription?

Thanks again guys!

Hi hippo

I will get the repeat next week sometime.

If the worst comes to the worst, I still have some 100mg capsules I can use.

I don't have any links to successful tapers off my head, but if I come across one or remember one, I will pass it on.

I just googled various search terms and any that looked negative, I stopped reading.

There are bound to be horror stories about any issue on the internet, and I found it helpful.

Also, over the years, I have found that most people, when they get off successfully, don't come back as they have no need.

I would still hold if I were you, just so that your receptors have time to get used to the new dose.

I seemed to do ok with that last cut of 12.5mgs. It was slightly over the ten percent, but, as I started taking the drug four times a day, instead of three, around that time, I think that helped, as the seroquel onlly has a short half life, so, every 6 hour dosing has seemed to level me out a bit.

If you decide to do that, speak to your doctor first. I know my doc said it was ok, but each persons med regime, circumstances and body make up are different.

Hope that helps.

I'm not going to cut any more seroquel for now, I am going to go back to my valium titration.

• Administrator

People go off Seroquel all the time.

Those movements can also be withdrawal symptoms, which will go away. Try not to focus on TD.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to find a lot of success stories for a couple of reasons. One is that they go on with their life and may not like to think about it if they had problems. Another reason is (if they had no problems) they are not 'looking' for people that were successful at going off meds. Does that make sense?

Like, as their taper was not an issue, they did not need to write about it online?

Anyway, I'd like to prevent the development of (any more?) TD. Supplementation with vitamin E, B6 and C is recommended, although there is no conclusive evidence regarding the efficiency of it. The recommended dosages are very high.

I looked at those links. I personally wouldn't try out any of those protocols. Supplementing with high dosages of supplements can be dangerous, high doses od E for example cause a toxic syndrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_E - something you should be aware of. However, I've taken a lot of vitamin C before. This perhaps can cause some problems, so I'd recommend to others to get advice from someone more experienced than I. I don't know where you live, Hippo, but I've seen alternative doctors who use high dose vit C therapy. If you live in a big town, there's probably somebody in your area. Will that help you? I dunno. Will it help TD? I dunno.

I have some tongue movements myself though they are more like cravings to move than tics or jerks.

There are posters on this forum who do try various, sometimes even extreme-sounding, alternative approaches. I've tried all sorts of stuff myself. In general I've noticed that time and taper are the best bets if the problem is due to the medication.

But there is some risk in neglecting arising health problems, attributing them to withdrawal as well. During my withdrawal experience I got ill due to a cause outside of withdrawal and eventually found and treated that cause.

The big lesson of my drug experience is that I have to do a lot of research and try to understand various risks and liklihoods of causes MYSELF because conventional medical wisdom is how I got here in the first place. I feel the same way about diet, supplements, advice. I really have to think I understand something well enough to try it because a lot of things have backfired.

That's been my experience.

Good luck,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Tezza and Primrose, yes, ofcourse you're right about people not feeling the need to share when they've had a smooth withdrawal-process! Thanks for that, I hadnt realized that.

Alex, thank you for your elaborate reaction. I just read a bit of your story the other day and felt incredibly sad. It seems so unfair for someone to go through so much ****, and to have your whole adolescence and young adulthood wasted.

I have taken your remarks regarding the supplements seriously. I read up a bit on B6 and it seems to be able to cause problems when taken in high dosages, like neuropathy. I realize it would be wise for me to educate myself more about supplementation, meds, etcetera. I really have to force myself to do that though, cause I it's not one of my 'natural' interests.

• Administrator

You may wish to try a very small amount of vitamin B6, I believe jr1985 found it helpful for leg movements.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hippo, I think you'll be okay. This is the start of a new chapter in your life and, like all of us, you'll learn a lot about yourself and new ways to be healthy.

I think you also need to be really kind to yourself. It's a tough deal you're experiencing. You're very brave to confront all of this stuff. So give yourself a HUG too!

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Like, as their taper was not an issue, they did not need to write about it online?

It's important to keep in mind that people go on and off these drugs all the time without a 2nd thought, taper plan or adverse effects. My docs added Risperdal, Seroquel and Abilify to Effexor when i wasn't improving. I took Risperdal for a month or two with no benefit. Stopped cold turkey. Abilify helped for about 6 months, then pooped out and i tapered over 2 weeks or so without apparent distress. I only took Seroquel for a few days. Too sedating.

My point is that it never dawned on me at the time to research how to taper. Also, my husband tapered Effexor over about 6 weeks last spring. I can see some classic withdrawal symptoms, but he's functioning about the same. He is still on other meds that are likely cushioning withdrawal. If it wasn't for me, he'd have no awareness of withdrawal.

This is one reason most doctors don't believe that serious or protracted withdrawal exists.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks for all your responses guys! :)

Hi Hippopotamus

I love your name :D I laugh when I read it. Maybe I will change my name to Chihuahua. I love them. I also love to look at pics of Polar Bears, but this is Florida...

A friend of mine who has RA was tapering Seroquel over a year ago. She asked me to google info. What I read was that it does cause insomnia and there were people who have RLS. There is a blog on crazymeds.com

I don't remember what they did to help themselves out. It's worth a look. When I listen to Dr. Brian Weiss at night he goes thru a process of muscle relaxation which really helps me to relax. He uses the 'white light' guided meditation for healing. This helps me to stop grinding my teeth. It's worth a try too. Guided meditations for muscle relaxation. Or Body Scans thru Mindful Meditation. I have done alot of that too and have found it helpful.

As for people doing an easy or somewhat easy taper, for the first time in my life, I fall into that category much to my surprise

In all honesty, there is that FEAR circling over my shoulder of "oh no what if this doesn't last, what if I get hit big time later on.' I suppose I need not question it and just be grateful.

I have posted on how I am doing this. I never thought it could be possible given my history and the torment I have gone thru, like so many others.

I have come to realize that alot of my anxiety is related to circumstances that arise in life. My biggest one has been financial. I am working my way up to becoming financially solvent. When things are fruitful I am okay. This is real stuff, not free-floating stuff.

I feel for you and hope this may help you in some way.

Hugs Hugs Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you Nikki, for this valuable information and encouragement!

Yes, I'm very convinced of the importance of relaxation-techniques, meditation etcetera. I use it to cope with symptoms and it makes a big difference.

It's so great that you're having a 'somewhat easy' taper. I dont know you, but somehow reading this makes me really really happy for you :)

'Hippo' used to be one of my exes favorite nicknames for me. Dont ask why, long story, but I've grown attached to it :) I think I would definitely laugh at someone who was named Chihuahua :)

Yes, I can very well imagine that your life-circumstances make a big difference in symptoms. In the way that they may be partial withdrawal, but wouldnt be (that vehemently) evoked if you'd find yourself in good and safe circumstances. I wish you lots of good financial energy!

Hi Hippopatamus! I looked for your introduction thread so I could follow your progress and offer my support. I read your introduction and was so inspired by what you wrote about working through and integrating traumatic experiences--and how that has opened up a whole new world for you.

I feel exactly the same way. I suffered for so many years and nothing really helped until I began a meditation practice. A year after I started meditation, the memories of the very traumatic experiences I'd had as a child starting arising. I'd swept it under the rug for so long--I barely even acknowledged to myself that it had happened. I spent years doing all kinds of healing work (would love to know more about what worked for you!) and a whole new life opened up. One where I could truly connect with other people, where I could feel safe and learn to trust again. It's a long journey, as you know. Sometimes I'll think I'm healed and the same issues will come up again.

I think the mental health industry labels trauma survivors as "ill" and medicates us. Often, we are not ill at all--we are very strong people who have survived events that might have completely destroyed other people. Our whole development has been shaped by growing up in a world that is unsafe and terrifying--we have adapted to impossible circumstances as best we could.

It sounds like you are having a difficult time with your Seroquel taper and just wanted to wish you luck. I feel convinced that the wisdom you gained from integrating your trauma will help you emerge from this process safe and healthy. Keep the faith!

Sunita

I started taking Celexa in 2007 for anxiety, depression and PTSD. I started at 10mg and eventually increased to 40mg. I am currently tapering off Celexa. 1/22, 40 to 30mg. 1/29, 30 to 20mg. 2/5, 20 to 10mg. 2/19 to 5mg. 2/26 stopped taking.

Thanks for your post and kind words Sunita! There's quite some things I recognize from what you're writing.

I'd be really happy to share about the things that helped me working through the trauma's - I'm under the impression that I've succesfully gone through a lot of it in a short time. Maybe a better place to discuss those things is in the topic I started which is titled "(Long past) traumatization might seriously exacerbate your symptoms'

See you there?

Hippo

I've decided not to taper off any further untill I've been stable on my current dose for a while. However I'm starting to wonder if and when that moment will ever come. Still having the same kind of flu-like symptoms. And I've been on this dose for months now :(

Also, I've been feeling more drugged lately when I take my meds. I take them at night, before I go to sleep, because they knock me out. Lately it seems like it makes me feel more sedated than it used to do. It's not a nice feeling.

And last, I've been having some eye-problems for the last couple of days. Need to schedule a check-up with an optometrist. Never had one, I found out by myself that that's something that needs to be done when you're on Seroquel. Great to know that my psychiatrist's knowledeg is so up-to-date. *sigh*

Hippo

I would like to read your thread about overcoming trauma. I think we have all have traumatization. Even from WD too.

Something that worked for me for the flu-like symptoms and aches/pains is to lay down while watching TV or reading with a nice comforter. Put on socks too. If you can fall asleep it is even better.

The warmth draws out t he migratory aches/pains and other flu like symptoms. It really did help. It would actually keep it away until another drop in dose, and I would do it again.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

How much are you taking now, Hippo?

Please put your tapering history in your signature so we can keep current with it, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tezza, I already take the medication before going to bed. I need it to be able to fall asleep. It has always knocked me out, but lately I feel like its drugging / sedating me more than it used to do.

Nikki,

Your post sounds interesting. I'll have to get a comforter and give it a try!

Alto,

I am still on 250 mg for more than 3 months now. Will make a signature indeed.

I've been to my GP today for the burning eyes. He was reluctant to sent me to an optometrist and couldnt believe vital information about the Seroquel could be missing from the standard farmacotherapeutic reference book GP's in my country rely on.

(Astra Zeneca, the manufacturer of Seroquel, recommends users are seen by an optometrist twice a year to check for cataract)

So he looked it up on the internet and was really surprised that the information he uses apparently isnt up to date.

I wasnt surprised by his lack of knowledge. I wasnt surprised by the fact vital info was missing from the standard reference book.

What DID surprise me, was his initial disbelief that his reference book could be not up to date and his surprise when he found out that it actually is not up to date. How can a doctor be so naive?

It made me sad.

However I've been given eye-drops to counter the burning-eyes (caused by dryness) as well as an appointment with an optometrist. So that's more or less covered. :)

• Administrator

At least he looked it up on the Internet and educated himself.

Dry eyes can be caused by staring too long at computer screens. Be sure to give your eyes frequent blink breaks.

Yes, at least he did.

Thanks for the computer-tip. I'm more or less in front of it all day. (My boyfriend keeps warning me about it as well.)

Hippo

we're only allowed one eye test every two years unless you pay for it your self :(

we get bloood tests for seroquel, but not eye tests.

i think our health service is deteriorating because the govt want only those with money to have access to healthcare.

They want it to cost but they no not want a safety net for poor people.

Reminiscent of world war II or something.

Ow Primrose that's too bad. :( I'm sorry to hear that!

Some good news:

I have been noticing for the last, I dont know, say 6 of 8 weeks, I am a lot brighter cognitively than I used to be! (Aside from the week in which I was experiencing troubles with verbalizing and memory).

I never noticed that the meds had a mind-dulling effect on me. But now that I'm on a much lower dose, I definitely notice a difference. This is so great!

I am really curious what will happen when I taper off even further. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hippo

That's great news and a nice surprise if you hadnt noticed the cognitive effects. I'm really happy for you

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 1 month later...

Quick update: Havent been on the forum since I've been struggling with RSI-type complaints, which makes typing and also sitting behind a computer painful.

I have been feeling quite well for the last couple of 2, 3 weeks and have been able to undertake pretty strenuous exercise. Hurray to that! So happy with it :)

I am also starting up a project in my country to increase awareness about all the cons and mis-info regarding psychiatric drugs. The reason for that has been, for a large part, the terrible sad stories I've been reading on this forum. I really hope to contribute to change and greater awareness.

Hippo