Punky: punkhead

punky

I am trying to get off paxil the withdrawls are so bad that I am ready to go back on. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a place to go to see which antidepressants are addictive like the paxil and which aren't. I am told by doctors I am not addicted to the paxil, I would love to give them the flu with a constant head ache, than tazer them every couple of seconds. See how they like the feeling.

Im sorry to say that all antidepressants ar addictive, they cannot be 'classed' as addictive because they do not have the CRAVING that alot of 'addictive' drugs have but they all have consequences on w/d. Some ssris have a longer half life than others, effexor and Paxil being the shortest and Prozac being the longest.

But that doesnt mean no withdrawal, it just means it hits you later down the road, with paxil the w/d symptoms are there as soon as you stop of miss a dose or during your taper.

I am no expert but I do know those facts.

Im sure Alto and some of the experts will be along to advise you soon, but please do not make any changes to your medication until you know what you are dealing with, and be sure that you want to come of the meds and for the right reasons, its iportant to know that once withdrawal hits sometimes restarting the medication will not work and in some cases (like mine) will make things worse.

withdrawal can last for a very very long time unless you taper very slowly. If you want to come off the paxil and you are sure its the right choice for you then the experts on here will be able to advise and guide you through a slow taper.

good luck.

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

punkhead,

Hi, i'm still fairly new to this site but I have learned quite a bit from being here. I am not one of the experts referred to in the previous post. I've been tapering 2 antidepressants for about 14 months now. Can you post your med use and tapering history? An abbreviated version can be inserted into your signature.

Regardless of whether we call it addiction or physical dependence the withdrawal is very real.

All antidepressants can cause withdrawal. The severity and length of time for symptoms can depend on many factors including the particular med, length of time on the med and how or if the med was tapered.

The medical community is just beginning to acknowledge "antidepressant discontinuation syndrome". Discontinuation sounds prettier than withdrawal. Most medical professionals have no understanding of the extent or severity of the antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

Here's a link to antidepressant withdrawal intro.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1008-intro-to-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

Here's a link to tapering.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum/

There is an excellent collection of research on AD withdrawal here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't change anything until you hear from from one of the mods. I'm not one of them. The previous posts are good advice. You are in the right place to get help. It is Thanksgiving. Be thankful you are here!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Punky

Can you tell us some more about your medication/withdrawal history? How long were you on Paxil, what was your dosage, how did you come off and how long have you been off? Also, what are your current symptoms and are you taking any supplements?

This will help us to make some suggestions to help you to stabilise. In the meantime the links moonbow posted will give you some excellent information

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi punky

Welcome to the site

I too had horrendous WD symptoms from coming off Paxil far to fast. I found this site and was advised to reinstate and am now stable. I am now on 7mg/3.5ml and doing a very slow taper as to not upset my nervous system.

I have also swapped to liquid.

You are sure to receive excellent advice from people on here.

How long were you on Paxil and what dose ? and how long is it since you stopped taking it?

People who are more knowledgable will able to help you more if they know the above.

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I have been on paxil for 12 years, I started because my PMS was so bad it was affecting my job. This is the 4th time I have `tried to get off the paxil. The doctor took me down from 20mg to 10mg with 10mg of Celexa for 3 weeks than stop the paxil. I really want to be off the Paxil because I can tell within 2 hours if I forgot my dose, and if I don't take it at all during the day it is horrible. I am really scared of getting off the paxil and getting addicted to something else.

• Moderator Emeritus

so, now you are off paxil but on celexa?

how long now since you took paxil? Your symptoms are from paxil withdrawal and are unlikely to be relieved unless you reinstate paxil - but this is less likely to work if you have been off more than a couple of weeks. Dr's are really clueless when it comes to managing these drugs - they think they can be substituted with no repercussions. If you have not been on celexa long and if i were you, i would probably go back to 10mg paxil and try to stabilise for a few months and then do a 10% per month taper..

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Hello, Punky, welcome.

Yes, you have having Paxil withdrawal symptoms. You can have withdrawal symptoms even if you're on another SSRI, like Celexa.

When was your last dose of Paxil?

If it was a few weeks ago, if I were you, I'd get a prescription for Paxil liquid and take perhaps 5mg as soon as possible.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.