Acquaria16 Change Antidepressant to 5-Htp?

Acquaria16

Hello all - newbie here and thankful there are forums like this.

I'm interested in changing from Remeron to 5-htp and would like to know if anyone has made the change over from an antidepressant to either 5-Htp or L-tryptophan?

Just read a few books on the subject like: "How to quit without feeling like ****" and "Mood Cure". Both books talk about how people can transition off antidepressants and onto amino acids like 5-htp.

Would be grateful to hear any feedback from users who have done this.

Hello,

I have not done this and I don't think it is particularly common because I don't think it is particularly easy.

Others will be along to share other specific precautions and experiences, I suspect.

As far as I undertsand, it is very unwise to take 5-htp at the same time as a Rx antidepressant. Please consult a medical professional before beginning on supplements while taking prescription medication.

I, once off of my antidepressant, have taken 5-htp and tryptophan. I didn't do well on 5-htp -- after a few days I started getting electric zaps. I did better on tryptophan, but I take neither at the moment so I don't recall tryptophan being particularly helpful.

If you are looking for mood relief, studies have found regular outdoor exercise more effective (safer and cheaper too) than any compound you ingest. It may take a while to see results but, I'd recommend a month of 30 minute-a-day moderate exercise like walking, if you are in good health. I'd also recommend increasing social interaction. A great way to get out and engage with others is to take a class or join a club around a hobby or area of interest such as knitting, cooking or throwing the discus.

Cheers,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Acquaria16,

I moved your post here because it's your first one. When you have a chance, please add your drug history to your signature (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signatures) and tell us more about yourself, the better to help.

I've been on this forum for not quite a year and I don't remember reading of anyone switching from Remeron to 5-HTP or L-tryptophan, although there are several members who are tapering off of Remeron. It's generally not a good idea to make any switches at all while tapering off an AD, with the rare exception of trying to get off of Pristiq, which is nearly impossible to taper due to its time-released design.

Here's a topic specifically on tapering off of Remeron, and there are lots of more general discussions in the Tapering section:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2028-how-do-i-get-off-mirtazapine/page__p__20030__hl__remeron__fromsearch__1#entry20030

It's best to make as few changes as possible when getting off of any AD. Don't stop abruptly, don't try every supplement that seems remotely promising, et cetera. Just take it slow, listen to your body, and have as much patience as you're able.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, Acquaria16.

Switching to 5-HTP is not something we recommend here. If you get withdrawal symptoms, 5-HTP won't do anything for them and might make them worse.

Some people can quit antidepressants and not feel withdrawal. Conceivably, they might then take 5-HTP. I have no idea how well this works.

This is a site for tapering off medications, rather than switching to new medications. If you'd like tips about tapering, we can help you with that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.