SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

s1335: Celexa (citalopram)

s1335

• Moderator Emeritus

Since I can't seem to put my history in my signature on here....

Here are directions for entering your drug history in your signature:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1335

• Altostrata

• tezza

• flower

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi s:

I am on Celexa and I am tapering, not in the usual manner. I have done that before and it was hellacious for me.

I was at 40mg. Celexa which was too much.

I drop by 5mgs. at a time. (I do take Imipramine and that may make the drops easier)

Each time I drop I remain there for several months. "For me" I have eliminated the WD process to a very large degree.

This is what I am doing. It works well for me. Who knows, at some point it may change. These drugs do have a mind of their very own.

I just could not put myself thru tapering drug for two years by making tiny cuts in dose and suffering with WD for two years. I am not recommending this for anyone. It is simply my story and I have done well so far.

Hugs and hand in there.....

I read imiprimine is similar to trazadone Nikki,what do you think? Didn't you say you take your meds at night?

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

s: mornings were always the worst for me in terms of anxiety. Lately, I have been having a slight touch of anxiety, but I know what it is and where it is coming from.

It is part of WD. Is it free floating WD anxiety or can you narrow it down to something?

You may want to get up and immediately hop into the shower and do a little stretching while you are in there. Tell the anxiety to 'hit-the-breaks' and see if you can chase it away.

Feel for you, I've been there sooooo many times

Flower:

Imipramine and trazadone are two separate drugs. Imipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant.

It is an old drug and there is WD from this one too.

Two separate families of meds. My understanding is that Trazadone is prescribed for sleep.

There is WD from that too.

Whenever symptoms crops up, a doctor will generally prescribe another drug to add to the mix which unfortunately leads to poly drugging which leads to the lines blurring about which drug is causing what.

My daughter took Trazadone a few years ago and was able to get off of it in a short amount of time, however she did have WD symptoms which went away in a short time except for sleep, that took the longest to work itself out.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 1 month later...

A while back I mentioned that I tried to taper off of Citalopram 40 mg (but way too fast - cut 40 mg pill in half each week). I started to experience brain zaps and such and I re-instated at 20 mg, which helped a bit, but I slowly but surely started to experience a gradual depression. At some point I started losing more and more sleep and started secluding myself and became nervous/anxious. I think withdrawal syndrome started to begin.

I cannot remember when, but I eventually stopped taking Citalopram and couldn't focus or get my words out properly. It was very embarrassing..I lost contact with all people. Suicidal thinking also occurred.. Has anyone experienced this before??

I was admitted into a psychiatric ward and had the horrible experience of Haldol - or Helldol should I say.

While I was at the ward, they also put me on Benztropine and Lanzopene. I have no idea what these drugs are like or what to expect but I hope to get off of these and be reinstated to 40 mg so that I can properly taper at a 5% decrease. Anyone know of Benztropine and Lanzopene and what effects they might have or how hard it might be to taper off of these?

At this point, I'm starting to feel a bit better, but high anxiety in the mornings and throughout the day my thoughts are like a continual radio playing in the background..I have a real hard time listening or getting what people are saying to me. Any thoughts on why or what might be the cause? Thank you!

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• Administrator

s, I moved your major event post here as an update to your Intro, or journal topic.

Those thoughts may be withdrawal or they may be an adverse effect from the drugs you're on.

What are you taking now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto,

I am on 20 mg Citalopram (should be on 40 mg); 5 mg Olanzapine (maybe this is making me so drowsy in the mornings?) and 2 mg Benztropine.

If I can only get back to my original 40 mg Citalopram and regulate THEN properly taper...i've even leaving work for a couple of months due to this...I went catatonic at a certain point. I was there, but not responsive. I can even remember a lot of what was going on.

Any thoughts on this? THANK YOU!

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

Current side effects are mainly that im out of touch with reality. I have these thoughts constantly whirring in the background and I am not engaged in what is going on around me. Dull depression and anxious about how this is affecting my relationships..

• Administrator

Why are you taking benztropine? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzatropine

Official FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/pro/benztropine.html

How long have you been taking it?

Olanzapine or benztropine, or both, could be making you feel groggy.

If you go off any drugs, you'll have to cope with any symptoms differently. If you go back to the hospital, they'll put you on more drugs.

Please update your e-mail address in your Settings. Your e-mail notifications are bouncing.

Benztropine properties http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00245

water solubility .... Very soluble

Edited by Altostrata
added benztropine info

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've been taking both Benztropine and Olanzopine for 2 weeks..they were given to me at the Psychiatric Hospital.

• Administrator

Why did they give you benztropine? What kinds of symptoms did you have to make them give you Haldol?

Did any of these drugs help?

When people are on these drugs for a very short time, they can go off faster. If I were you, I might go off olanzopine first, by stepping down 25% in dosage every 4 days or so, slower if withdrawal symptoms appear.

Unless you had pre-existing serious acid reflux, also plan to go off Lanzopene.

Alto,

After my irresponsible taper, I gradually fell into a serious depression where I hardly even spoke. I kind of went catatonic. The Haldol was given because I was started to get delirious. The Benztropine was given because I was having these seizure-like symptoms after Haldol and the Olanzopine was given for racing thoughts.

I am drowsy mostly the whole day...very hard getting up out of bed. I was doing so well before..I wish I had never done the 50% taper over those weeks at the end of November into December. I am going to be going to the doctor soon (this Tuesday) and hope to get off of these other drugs and reinstate properly back up to 40 mg. Citalopram.

Once stabilized I will look to properly taper...just feel like time is moving so slowly, afraid to speak to anyone because all of this is constantly on my mind and I don't want to keep showing off my dirty laundry so to speak..I am really having a hard time focusing.

Thanks for listening/reading!

• Administrator

I agree with tezza, and reduce the olanzapine as soon as you can. It can have very adverse health effects.

Please don't count on going back to 40mg Celexa and everything will be fine. Your nervous system has been through a lot and may be sensitized to any more Celexa.

Just getting back to 20mg Celexa would be a big improvement.

Well, I am back on 40 mg Celexa, I have gone to my psychiatrist. I've started to wean off of the Olanzopine and Benztropine too. I am still feeling lost in thoughts. I can't focus on the present..I really had that deep sinking feeling throughout the day too. I just go into these staring spells and get stuck in all of the memories I had of when I was catatonic at work. I feel like my relationships have all been adversely affect by all of this...I feel like a little child.

My brains is just twisted in knots..Can't focus on anything in the present...is this part of getting used to the medication? Thanks again for reading/listening..

Does anyone know around how long it takes for an updose to take effect? I feel STUCK!!

Does anyone have a link to the amount of time it takes the brain to adjust to the medication? Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi s1335,

Unfortunately, no one can predict how long it takes to stabilize. At what rate are you tapering those other meds? Since you are coming off other meds, some of your symptoms may be coming from that.

You will need to provide more info about your situation so our administrator or staff can better assist you.

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't count on going back to 40mg Celexa and everything will be fine. Your nervous system has been through a lot and may be sensitized to any more Celexa.

Thank you Tezza. Here is some more info: I am tapering with the guidance of a psychiatrist. Right now I have tapered from Olanzapine 5mg to 2.5mg and Benztropine 2mg to 1mg. I also as of Tuesday went up to 40 mg Citalopram from 20 mg. I never really re-stabilized to 20 mg. after going off of the meds for around a week after doing a 50% decrease over 3 weeks.

Just feeling like this will never end. I feel trapped inside of my head. I have no energy to laugh or comment on much of anything. I feel like I cannot express myself. Kind of dead inside kind of feeling...

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't have the expertise to advise you on tapering but it does seem to me that you've made a lot of changes in a very short time. It may take your nervous system a few weeks or more to adjust to these changes. Then again, some people adjust fairly quickly, maybe you will be one of those people.

Wait for Alto's advice on this, she is VERY knowledgeable. Unfortunately, most doctors, including psychiatrists, don't know how to do a safe taper. A lot of people find this site after their doctor has given them such a taper schedule and their CNS is in distress.

We usually recommend decreasing 10% or less and holding between cuts two weeks or longer, depending on whether you have WD symptoms. We also recommend only tapering one med at a time so you can tell which one is causing distress.

I understand those feelings but it will get better. I definitely would not cut any more until you stabilize. Still, wait for Alto to give you the best advice. She has helped me and so many others.

I wish the best for you.

Thank you Tezza; appreciate your advice and consolation. I think I just need to be patient right now.

The worst of it is that I can't think of anything else to talk to someone about because my mind is so stuck in the cycle of depressive anxious thoughts of not getting any better. I am stuck thinking of how bad it got, the mental hospital, my coworkers seeing me the way I was and having to deal with my comatose state...

I guess it will be a matter of time..

• Moderator Emeritus

We have to force the negative thoughts out. It's natural for us to think about the negative more so than the positive. Consider this example: if you lose $100 dollars, you would think more about that than you would if you gained $100.

I know it's hard to do but try to make a conscience effort to remember good times that you've had. Pull up those good memories that are buried somewhere in your brain.

Hugs

I was reading some others' posts about tapering from AD's and am wondering if I am having a reaction to re-instating Citalopram. Is it making me worse now? I've had success in the past with re-instating, but is it possible that it could have the opposite effect?

I am so stuck inside of my brain. I can't have normal good conversations because my mind is flooded with these thoughts.

• Administrator

s1335, please add your current drug regimen in your signature, and keep it updated as you change dosages in any of them.

I had to go through your entire topic (see below) to get a picture of how reinstatement is working for you.

I see you started to feel better on 20mg Celexa, then jumped up to 40mg on the advice of your psychiatrist.

How long have you been on 40mg now? How have your symptoms changed since you went up to 40mg?

And by the way I feel a little better since I reinstated the 20mg. Peggy, I have also been fortunate in the past when I've reinstated dosages to be freed of the withdrawal.

Thank you all this has eased my mind. I will be patient on the 20mg. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

The nervous feeling is like a shaky feeling. I kind of feel like I have "butterflies" my stomach particularly in the mornings. I also feel like my head is filled with glue, though it seems to be improving.

I'll just keep the dosage consistent. So glad I found this site!

The 20mg dosage is just getting to steady state in your bloodstream now. If I were you, I'd give the 20mg a chance for another week at least.

Just a diary update that I am still experiencing anxiety in the mornings. Not quite the severe panic attacks that I had during the severe WD 2 years ago.

Still taking the 20mg steadily.

Try upping to 25mg Celexa for a week and see if it helps.

The sinking feeling is getting better, but I feel like I have no emotions...just dead pan.

Still cloudy brain and I feel slow in my processing and reactions...

I've been taking both Benztropine and Olanzopine for 2 weeks..they were given to me at the Psychiatric Hospital.

I agree with tezza, and reduce the olanzapine as soon as you can. It can have very adverse health effects.

Well, I am back on 40 mg Celexa, I have gone to my psychiatrist. I've started to wean off of the Olanzopine and Benztropine too. I am still feeling lost in thoughts. I can't focus on the present..I really had that deep sinking feeling throughout the day too. I just go into these staring spells and get stuck in all of the memories I had of when I was catatonic at work. I feel like my relationships have all been adversely affect by all of this...I feel like a little child.

My brains is just twisted in knots..Can't focus on anything in the present...is this part of getting used to the medication? Thanks again for reading/listening..

Thank you Tezza. Here is some more info: I am tapering with the guidance of a psychiatrist. Right now I have tapered from Olanzapine 5mg to 2.5mg and Benztropine 2mg to 1mg. I also as of Tuesday went up to 40 mg Citalopram from 20 mg. I never really re-stabilized to 20 mg. after going off of the meds for around a week after doing a 50% decrease over 3 weeks.

Just feeling like this will never end. I feel trapped inside of my head. I have no energy to laugh or comment on much of anything. I feel like I cannot express myself. Kind of dead inside kind of feeling...

Thanks Alto for going through these posts. I reinstated the 40mg on this past Monday Feb. 11. Hopefully my signature might be up to date now? I'll look over those posts to edit it if need be. Thanks so much!

I already was feeling pretty foggy and fearful of people and such before the 40mg updose. There was a period of time where I didn't post anything here and things were really bad, though I wasn't sure exactly when I stopped taking the Citalopram within that period.

• Administrator

Thank you, your signature has all the right information in it.

How have your symptoms changed now that you've been on 40mg Celexa for 5 days?

Alto, I've been getting this "I forgot my homework" kind of feeling in my chest (like a deep fear) pretty much constantly throughout the day. I'm afraid to talk to people and don't have much to say. It is hard work to laugh. It's as if I and deflated inside. I have recurring thoughts of letting my coworkers down and feeling like a failure for leaving work for this period of time.

My eyes are halfway open and feel like there is a lot pressure in them. I have pressure in my head too - feels like I have a blankspot in my thinking. Hard to follow conversations or doing simple things because my mind is enveloped in these thoughts. Having flashbacks of my comatose state and being admitted to the Mental Hospital. I recall when the shot of Haldol was given to me that my life was flashing before my eyes and that horrible things were going to happen to me.

I just feel really stuck right now Alto...

• Administrator

Did these symptoms CHANGE since you started taking 40mg Celexa?

If they changed, when did the change start?

I have heard of people having long-lasting setbacks even very far out. It's extremely upsetting. In some cases, it seems like the setback is triggered by stressful life events. My theory is that, even after we have healed a lot, we are still very fragile for a time after that. If life happens to be fairly smooth, we can function pretty well, but if life hands us a big stressor or two, we become really autonomically dysregulated. We're still more sensitive to conditions than we will be when we have healed further.

Eventually.....eventually.....we heal even more, become more robust, and stressful life events can no longer knock our nervous systems off balance so easily. -Healing

I have to say that this quotation from Healing is what happened to me when I tried to taper myself off of Citalopram. A relatively stressful situation occurred and I couldn't properly handle it. I now feel so weak because others must see this as that I couldn't handle something relatively normal - or that someone is to blame.

I wish this syndrome was like having a stroke or something...it's just so hard to understand and have others understand. If only it was as if those of us who suffer from WD syndrome had casts on our heads or something that would distinguish it as serious as it really is.

Did these symptoms CHANGE since you started taking 40mg Celexa?

If they changed, when did the change start?

I would say they are fairly similar symptoms, though they probably increased a bit yesterday more than normal. I think most of that is due to the fact that I had a phone call and couldn't express myself normally to others when I was out and about. I am just worried that this will not change. That there's something I need to do about this.

• Administrator

You haven't given reinstatement of 20mg or 40mg enough of a chance yet.

Please let us know if your symptoms CHANGE. Keep notes on paper about how much of each drug you're taking, what time of day, and what your daily symptom pattern is.

Ok thank you very much!

In 2010, I had issues very similar to this time (though not as serious). As I was going through this I indirectly documented a journal (as I was emailing some friends about my concerns) of my experiences. It took me what seemed to be a full month before it was kicking in. Perhaps it will be the same this time around? I am feeling like it will never subside...Maybe I will just have to keep this in mind.

• Moderator Emeritus

s1335 - i have ALWAYS found it is a full month before i feel better after an updose. I get snippets here and there in the time leading up to the month, but it is almost like a switch goes on in my brain at the one month mark. the clouds part and the sun stays out. In retrospect i always think, why didn't i remember that!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Thank you for the reply Peggy..I am just so out of it right now..I am hoping for a gradual improvement.