SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

s1335: Celexa (citalopram)

s1335

Today I still have that empty feeling and I am still stuck in my thoughts. Feeling pretty foggy and often staring off into space.

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1335

• Altostrata

• tezza

• flower

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in your shoes so many times..My husband use to say "Where are you?" That is something I hope to avoid by going slower. I got lost in my thoughts for long periods of time. Lost in misery really. It will get better so we can move on again..Stay strong.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Thanks flower. How long did it take for you to adjust to your updose? I went to church today and could barely find things to talk about since I am so lost in my mind. Not really listening to anyone either. Because I'm isolating myself a lot lately I guess it was good for me to be around a lot of people...

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

Thanks flower. How long did it take for you to adjust to your updose? I went to church today and could barely find things to talk about since I am so lost in my mind. Not really listening to anyone either. Because I'm isolating myself a lot lately I guess it was good for me to be around a lot of people...

It's been 8 weeks since I updosed and I still have those moments but it was probably 4 weeks to get a grip. I hate this also but I know it needs to be done.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

After I did a CT of Risperdal, it was four weeks before I felt a significant improvement (after reinstating). Everyone is different but that seems to be the average.

Hang in there and try to do something to take your mind off it.

Stressing over how long it's going to take will only cause you more problems.

Hugs,

Tezza

Thanks Tezza. I think i've been a bit too obsessive about this forum..it seems to be the only way im able to keep my motivation up that this is only momentary. I feel much worse lately. Ive felt as if my head is increasing in pressure like an expanding balloon and I am not able to get my thoughts out quite right. I have that feeling in my chest and throat like I'm constantly nervous - like the "I forgot my homework" feeling.

I am also quite fatigued most of the day and feel as if I'm just floating along. Can't concentrate or focus very well at all...simple things are still difficult.

Thanks again for the comments of relating to these things. It's good to know that I'm not the only one, though it seems like my symptoms are never going to end or that it's my fault and there's something that needs to change.

I'm wondering if the updose has caused me to feel more depressed. The depressive feeling seems to be increasing.

• Moderator Emeritus

S1335,

Many people can relate to those feelings so you are definitely not alone. I know how difficult it can be to think about something other than WD and how long it's going to take.

Anything you can think of that forces you to focus on, as a distraction, will help.

You will get better, just hold onto those words.

As for the up dose, that's a question best answered by someone more knowledgeable than I.

Hugs and healing

• Administrator

Are you keeping a written record of your daily symptom pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

monitoring the symptoms is a good strategy. Once again it took at least 4 weeks to consistently feel good after an updose for me.

if you can get out and do a big walk everyday that will help. I download audiobooks from my local library and put them on my iphone - when i walk i put my earbuds in and listen to the book - it helps me to focus on the words and the story and so distracts me from my thoughts - try it and see if it helps.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything Peggy said but wanted to also say keeping a daily log of symptoms was a big help to me. I rated the severity of all symptoms I was having.

This helped me to actually see when I had improvement. It was suggested to me a couple of times before I finally did it. I would rate things like: sleep, mood, anxiety, tinnitus, etc.

I even logged the time I took meds and supplements. If my symptoms changed throughout the day it was logged.

Thank you Tezza; appreciate your advice and consolation. I think I just need to be patient right now.

The worst of it is that I can't think of anything else to talk to someone about because my mind is so stuck in the cycle of depressive anxious thoughts of not getting any better. I am stuck thinking of how bad it got, the mental hospital, my coworkers seeing me the way I was and having to deal with my comatose state...

I guess it will be a matter of time..

S1335 I am in much the same state as you with the mind being stuck on depressive anxious thoughts. I was told today by a doctor who I like very much and a friend who has been on ad's for years. "It is going to take 1-2 weeks to stabilize after you up-dose."

My friend told me that all the "garbage comes back up into our minds." Happening to you and me right now. Let's send each other a prayer:)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks everyone, I will try my best to do a daily log. I'm running on autopilot right now it seems just to get thru the day.

I'm just barely making it thru. I will definitely pray for you Nikki.

This afternoon I was feeling tempted to run my car into a ditch. I really would much rather have an injury or lose a limb than have this..

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone, I will try my best to do a daily log. I'm running on autopilot right now it seems just to get thru the day.

I'm just barely making it thru. I will definitely pray for you Nikki.

This afternoon I was feeling tempted to run my car into a ditch. I really would much rather have an injury or lose a limb than have this..

i know you said that tongue in cheek - but if you did have an injury or lose a limb you would have to deal with that ON TOP of what you are currently dealing with

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Very true Nikki. Is it common to have a depressive anxious constant symptom while reinstating and updosing? This sinking feeling and anxious panic about social interactions is really grinding me down..

Symptom journal: deep sinking feeling, anxious panic, feeling nervous - all of these consistent symptoms. This is day 9 of my reinstated updose of 40 mg after a week of 20 mg after going without any Citalopram for at least a week prior to that.

Thank you for the advice about doing things to distract, but it seems that right now even when I'm doing other things, I'm still getting bombarded with anxious thoughts..

Thank you for the reassurance Tezza. Also, Nikki, am I right when by "garbage" gets brought up in our minds, that our brain starts latching onto condemning thoughts while we stabilize?

Thanks again guys for being an outlet for me! You probably have saved my life.

Peggy you nailed it. s1335 over the last few days I have had the "I would like to die now" thoughts. I understand where you are coming from.

I think some of it has to do with WD not being a definitive illness. And yet it feels like hell.

I did speak to the Psych Nurse today and maybe this will help you, as it did me. I dropped the Celexa 5mgs. for about two weeks and then a bad WD hit me. She is the third person who told me that if I were not at the normal dose for two weeks it is going to take another two weeks to start to turn a corner. This was only 5mgs.

You went from (I think) zero to 20 to 40mgs. Is that correct? So think of how long you were not on your usual dose and factor that in.

If you are having trouble relating to people, then go out daily for a brisk walk. The fresh air will do you good. When you feel better (and you will) ;) gently incorporate going to a Mall, food shopping, etc. You don't have to talk to anyone, it just might be a way to ease into things. No pressure and when only when you feel better.

I have been moaning on my Thread, so don't feel bad. It is the reason this website is here.

No shame.

Isn't it amazing how we can help another and not ourselves when we are so down. Go figure :unsure:

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I also have this feeling like my brain is asleep but my body is awake..somewhat slurred speech and very difficult to follow a simple book or tv program. It all just passes right through me.

Thanks Nikki, this is all very helpful in putting thus all into perspective. I also need to remember that I'm also tapering Olanzapine and Benztropine. Has anyone else been on either of these two drugs?

This morning feeling very nervous and anxious and feel so stuck in this state if mind. It is hard to think that there will be at least 7 more days like this..

Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.

Sometimes reinstatement not only does not work, it causes an adverse reaction from a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal. - Alto

I'm wondering if this is happening to me. Seems like things are just getting worse. Depression is now pretty deep..anxiety as well.

• Administrator

What is your daily symptom pattern? When do you take Celexa?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi s1335,

Usually reinstatement doesn't work when the drug has been left off for a longer period of time. When I left off my med it took four weeks to 'just feel better'.

As soon as I 'felt better' I tapered again, way too soon. This happened before I found this site, unfortunately. Changing things too frequently is never a good move.

You are also tapering two other meds, this could be destabilizing also. Where are you on those two?

Give yourself some time and be very gentle with yourself.

My symptom pattern is anxiety in the morning followed by the deep sinking feeling of depression in the afternoon. Afraid to use the phone because I am not thinking clearly.

My brain feels like its asleep but my body is awake. I'll need to check on those links that you posted Alto as far as what the Olanzapine and Benztropine have an effect on all this. Perhaps the current taper is doing this too.

I take Celexa at night. In fact I'm taking all of the meds at night before bed..

Tezza I'm on 2.5mg Olanzapine and 1 mg Benztropine.

• Moderator Emeritus

My mother was on benztropine (cogentin) for years for side effects caused by prolixen. Wait for Alto to advise you on tapering those two further. You may be feeling some effects from halving both of those at once.

We normally only taper one thing at a time. That way you can tell what is causing symptoms.

You will make it through this. I know how difficult it is and how it feels like it will take forever. Most all of us have been where you are right now.

It will get better!

Hugs

• Administrator

s1335, since you've updosed Celexa (10 days ago) and changed dosage in two other drugs as well at the same time, it's impossible to tell where your symptoms are coming from, if updosing is going to work, or if you're having an adverse reaction to any of the 3 drugs.

What does your doctor say about your symptoms? What is your dosage reduction schedule?

I tapered off olanzepine 5mg over several months before I found this site. Lots of feelings and memories surfaced in withdrawal; dr.said flooding with memories is typical because they have been suppressed. Dr. Breggin wrote that there is a high rate of WD that looks like relapse from 12-24 weeks after withdrawal. I'm not to 12 wks. yet but have already had a round of hypomania...it stopped quickly when I decreased Wellbutrin dose. I would definitely draw out the taper after 2.5mg...I did, but not enough. Nausea was my most frequent symptom, a blessing as it told me something physical was going on, and I had many other bizarre symptoms that cycled through. Good luck! Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

s1335, since you've updosed Celexa (10 days ago) and changed dosage in two other drugs as well at the same time, it's impossible to tell where your symptoms are coming from, if updosing is going to work, or if you're having an adverse reaction to any of the 3 drugs.

What does your doctor say about your symptoms? What is your dosage reduction schedule?

I have yet to see the doctor since my first reduction and updose but will see him on Monday. I'm not sure what the dosage reduction plan will be, but he wanted to take things slowly with the Benz and Olanz. My last appt and dosage reduction was on the 11th for Olanz and Benz and updose on Citalopram.

I tapered off olanzepine 5mg over several months before I found this site. Lots of feelings and memories surfaced in withdrawal; dr.said flooding with memories is typical because they have been suppressed. Dr. Breggin wrote that there is a high rate of WD that looks like relapse from 12-24 weeks after withdrawal. I'm not to 12 wks. yet but have already had a round of hypomania...it stopped quickly when I decreased Wellbutrin dose. I would definitely draw out the taper after 2.5mg...I did, but not enough. Nausea was my most frequent symptom, a blessing as it told me something physical was going on, and I had many other bizarre symptoms that cycled through. Good luck! Meimeiquest

It might take this long to taper Olanz?! Oh my I wish I was never put on these extra drugs!!

But didn't you just start it? I was on it for 6 years.

I would think that would make a big difference. I just looked at your signature...sorry!

Best, Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Ohh yes! Phew good point. Thanks for pointing that out :)