SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

s1335: Celexa (citalopram)

s1335

• Administrator

How long have you been taking that amount of vitamin D?

Yes, all of those fears are common. Seems like you might be hyperattentive to symptoms. Try to relax. Our motto is:

Keep calm and carry on!

Give it time, you'll get through this. One foot in front of the other....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1335

• Altostrata

• tezza

• flower

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Been feeling like I am unable to make decisions and that I have to get things done right away...is this neuoro emotion?

Most likely. That sense of urgency, in particular, is so typical of withdrawal. I still get that from time to time.

Be very careful of it as it seems to be the motivation behind tapering too fast.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I've been taking the vitamin D for around a week.

Yes the urgency is quite intense. I remember this happening before during a quick taper 3 years ago. It got pretty obsessive!

I am glad that I've reinstated before it got any worse. The only difference is that I went straight back to 40mg before. Would I be wrong to say that it's more important to stay consistent at this dosage than to increase? The reason I am tempted to increase is because of the hypersensitivity and feelings that I just need to DO something about the sinking feeling in my chest and the panic.

Thanks for these reminders and for putting up with my constant posts.

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

s.....

That sinking feeling is a very scary feeling. Been there many times, with WD and then not in WD, some of life curve balls cause that too.

I don't know if Vit D contributes to anxiety. Vit B complex does that for me.

Maybe the urgency right now can be taken care of by up-dosing back to the 40mgs. or even 35mgs. and then see if you have stabilized. You will feel such a sense of relief which you could use right about now.

Alot of time, stabilizing can take several weeks. Once you get to that place, take a much needed rest and don't think about dropping again. Just give time, time.

Try and keep yourself busy so your mind in occupied and your body is in motion. Distractions and busyness help.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki. I started back on the 20 mg on Nov. 29. Alto has graciously suggested to try this for at least another week, though as you can tell it seems to me that time is going by very slowly!

The sinking feeling has been getting better for the past two days in the afternoon. I still feel the disconnect to reality and the sense of urgency as if I'm not being productive enough even when I'm working in something.

Once again, it makes much more sense now why this happened in years past! I would try so hard to pin what was wrong when I was really going through WD! Thanks again for your comments and help!

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

Forgot to mention that I'll plan on one more week at 20mg and see how that goes before going up in dosage. I just dread the morning panic and sinking! But good to have this resource to come to. I'll keep updates coming. Thank you!

• Administrator

Try upping to 25mg Celexa for a week and see if it helps.

Yes, you may be taking too much vitamin D at once. Can you cut back? Maybe take only 500mg at a time?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto. I don't really even have to take the vitamin D. Would it be detrimental to just stop taking it? I only started taking it because of the lack of sunlight during this time if the year in Canada. It is recommended to take at least 1,000 iu's.

Since I don't have the liquid, I will find it difficult to take an extra 5mg. I will see how next week goes. But I am still tempted to go back up to 40mg. That might be a shock to the nervous system though?

Thanks for the suggestions. Still feeling anxious for most of the morning. I've been waking up at around 2:00 am and around 5:00 am for the past few days...

The suggested dose is one tablet which is 25mcg for the vitamin D if that makes anything clearer.

I guess I also need to be careful that I don't take too much Celexa at once either because I might experience the "paradoxical" reaction. I've read through a bit of Alex's experiences and saw some of your advice about slowly increasing.

Maybe that's what I'll do next week. The mornings are especially difficult: tiredness, staring off into space, nervousness, and that horrible sinking feeling. It's interesting that this mostly occurs at its worst in the mornings (is this the increased cortisol?).

I think I'll look for a pill cutter to be able to get the proper amount? I am in such a fog that ill probably have difficulty doing anything too complicated...

Would it be a shock to my system to going back up to 40mg as Nikki had suggested?

• Moderator Emeritus

Would it be a shock to my system to going back up to 40mg as Nikki had suggested?

IMHO you need to taper back up slowly.You reinstated on Nov. 29 and It takes a month to really see what is going on at any level, just as with a cut. But Alto will weigh in and advise depending on your history. Hold tight till then.

edit: Oops.. I meant if you need to taper back up, go slowly. Argh, if you went back to 40 mgs, you would then need to taper all the way down. Alto is talking slow taper off.. sounds good to me!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd increase the dosage gradually.

Here's information about making a liquid for more precise dosing:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

Ok thank you. If I were to increase, how often should I do so?

• Administrator

Give each increase at least a week.

Ok maybe I'll keep up with the 20mg for one more week. Any suggestions about the vitamin D? It is measured in mcg's. Does this mean micrograms?

They are only 25mcg per tablet.

• Administrator

Are you sure your vitamin D tablets are in mcgs? Micrograms would be unusual.

If they're tablets, you can cut them up. Start with maybe 500mg (milligrams) a day.

Experiencing dull headache throughout the day. Still sinking feeling throughout until the later afternoon.

Fatigue and a cloudy mind continue as well. Worried I've fried my brain!

If they're tablets, you can cut them up. Start with maybe 500mg (milligrams) a day.

In Canada they seem to measure the vitamins in IU's and mcg's?

Thanks for the suggestion Alto.

I guess I also need to be careful that I don't take too much Celexa at once either because I might experience the "paradoxical" reaction. I've read through a bit of Alex's experiences and saw some of your advice about slowly increasing.

Maybe that's what I'll do next week. The mornings are especially difficult: tiredness, staring off into space, nervousness, and that horrible sinking feeling. It's interesting that this mostly occurs at its worst in the mornings (is this the increased cortisol?).

I think I'll look for a pill cutter to be able to get the proper amount? I am in such a fog that ill probably have difficulty doing anything too complicated...

This is so much like my own situation...I now recognize this as the WDs too. My Doc still says I am sensitive,this may be true but she won't admit this is common WD. I would like to meet someone who has Tapered Celexa with no problems...

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

s1335.. do you drink coffee in the AM? If so, you might want to try eliminating it for awhile.. you might find a marked improvement. Coffee + cortisol can cause many of the symptoms you describe.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not drink coffee. I guess I just need to be patient. I feel like progress is very slow. Perhaps the side effects are indicators that I'm re-adjusting to the medication?

• Administrator

In Canada they seem to measure the vitamins in IU's and mcg's?

Thanks for the suggestion Alto.

My mistake, we use IUs in the US; start with 500IUs.

Magnesium citrate can help with headaches. Put a little powder in ice water and sip throughout the day.

One thing I've noticed especially lately is the brain fog. Where I used to really follow a conversation and add humour etc I feel like I just have a big blank spot.

Feels like my brain is tightening up. I read an article from Mind that was posted on this forum, and I am beginning to worry that I might have burned out my receptors and may never be able to function normally again!

Since I can't seem to put my history in my signature on here, here is some background on my medication history: I am currently 29 years old (male) an began taking Lexapro when I was around 18 years old. I think I was first on 20mg for around a couple of years and decided to stop on my own. Soon after I started what I now know as WD symptoms and went back on (I think 40mg at this point).

Same cycle occurred again after around 2-3 years. This next time I went onto Celexa (40mg). Stopped and started again after a couple of years! Went back on 40 mg, only to taper again just recently by half a dose each week. Got the brain zaps etc, but that was the least of my worries. Now here I am again after being completely off the drug for a few days, and reinstating at 20mg.

Is my nervous system/brain going to be fried after all of this? I am looking forward to going back to "normal" so that I can reduce at a rate that my nervous system allows.

How thankful I am for these resources. Any thoughts/suggestions on these cycles that I have stupidly caused? Thanks again for your help!

...just hope I don't become a zombie...

• Administrator

Your receptors aren't fried, they're only sleeping.

Don't worry, they'll gradually come back.

Yes, this is consoling! The panic is getting better, but the hazy foggines in my head is still prevalent. Find myself not balancing so well and going into dazes. Having some trouble getting my words out right and still haven't conjured up any sense of humour!

Just feel slow and inept...

I also would like to meet anyone who has tapered Celexa without problems..I am fighting to NOT updose anymore. Am at 7mgs and holding

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

That's good Flower. What are your main symptoms now?

Keep it up!

The sinking feeling is getting better, but I feel like I have no emotions...just dead pan.

Still cloudy brain and I feel slow in my processing and reactions...

Keep it up!

I decided to updose 1 more time today to see if I could get the anxiety to ease up. Just that small dose was profound to me. I'm trying to pin down ringing in my ears in the morning. Anxiety,adrenalin,insonmia seem to be the worse to deal with.Now the ringing.It started tonight after I took gabapentin but I don't know if it's WDs or not.It's been the hardest thing for me and I've WDrawn from ativan.The Celexa is harder for me.I hope the 7.5 mgs works.I don't know what I'll do about the ringing.Maybe it'll pass.I'll watch your progress as I hope you'll do the same..

Keep it up!

I decided to updose 1 more time today to see if I could get the anxiety to ease up. Just that small dose was profound to me. I'm trying to pin down ringing in my ears in the morning. Anxiety,adrenalin,insonmia seem to be the worse to deal with.Now the ringing.It started tonight after I took gabapentin but I don't know if it's WDs or not.It's been the hardest thing for me and I've WDrawn from ativan.The Celexa is harder for me.I hope the 7.5 mgs works.I don't know what I'll do about the ringing.Maybe it'll pass.I'll watch your progress as I hope you'll do the same..

I don't feel real well after that updose yesterday.I don't think I'll do it today and hope for the best.

It seems to me that mornings are the hardest, but by the afternoon I feel just fine. Still having some obsessive thoughts here and there. This is very similar to the last WD's.

It seems to me that mornings are the hardest, but by the afternoon I feel just fine. Still having some obsessive thoughts here and there. This is very similar to the last WD's.

How are you doing? I updosed to 7.5 mgs and feel like crap about. I feel as though I'm losing this battle.

Hi s:

I am on Celexa and I am tapering, not in the usual manner. I have done that before and it was hellacious for me.

I was at 40mg. Celexa which was too much.

I drop by 5mgs. at a time. (I do take Imipramine and that may make the drops easier)

Each time I drop I remain there for several months. "For me" I have eliminated the WD process to a very large degree.

This is what I am doing. It works well for me. Who knows, at some point it may change. These drugs do have a mind of their very own.

I just could not put myself thru tapering drug for two years by making tiny cuts in dose and suffering with WD for two years. I am not recommending this for anyone. It is simply my story and I have done well so far.

Hugs and hand in there.....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you keeping your bedroom dark and wearing a sleep mask? Using sunglasses outdoors (or even indoors if your house gets a lot of sun in the morning)? Many of us have had trouble with bad mornings because withdrawal from antidepressants affects hormones, most notably cortisol, the hormone that wakes us up at daybreak and inspires flight or fight when we feel threatened. You might want to read up on the topics under "Reducing Cortisol, the Anxiety Hormone" here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.