SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

s1335: Celexa (citalopram)

s1335

Anyone have any resources or helps for looping thoughts? My mind is stuck in fearful thinking and I am losing track of what's happening around me...

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1335

• Altostrata

• tezza

• flower

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it takes this long to adjust. I'm still adjusting and trying to get healthy. I think this is the 3rd month trying to stabilize on the Celexa and it was so hard. Now I dropped aspartame and I think being so sensitive is making it harder. My Doc said no more Celexa taper for a bit til the pop is done. What's that tell ya. They know alot more than they say. My point is. This drug is so strong. Try to wait it out for a bit. If you need to vent,get hold of me. Until I drop a dose again I will be able to be a good listener.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Yes it takes this long to adjust. I'm still adjusting and trying to get healthy. I think this is the 3rd month trying to stabilize on the Celexa and it was so hard. Now I dropped aspartame and I think being so sensitive is making it harder. My Doc said no more Celexa taper for a bit til the pop is done. What's that tell ya. They know alot more than they say. My point is. This drug is so strong. Try to wait it out for a bit. If you need to vent,get hold of me. Until I drop a dose again I will be able to be a good listener.

Thanks Flower. I seem to be getting more and more quiet. I can't think of anything to say. I am out if touch with current events and I feel like my brain is under anesthesia as Alto was mentioning. No emotions and having a hard time processing things because if looping thoughts. I get obsessed with trying to think thru these thoughts thinking it will solve the problem.

Scared about social interactions etc...

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

Do you feel as if your brain has gone blank? I can't seem to remember anything or Brian things to mind very well..

Brain still feels sluggish and unresponsive to much. Im not motivated to talk much and get lost in daydreaming about things. Im mostly out of touch with reality. Anyone else have this while trying to readjust to AD's?

Being on 10mgs is a good thing for me,I couldn't imagine 40mgs, I still can't get a grip sometimes. Especially in the morning. The WD from aspartame's not helping any,I think this will be life changing for me..I will then begin the Celexa taper and see if Doc's right about it being a little easier. Messing around with serotonin was not meant to be. Please stay in touch we will get through this together. We now have no other choice. Peace

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

• Administrator

You're heavily drugged, s. Why are you surprised you feel like this?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

You're heavily drugged, s. Why are you surprised you feel like this?

I guess because I used to be just fine on 40mg of Citalopram. Would the addition of 2.5 Olanzapine make that much of a difference?

I didn't know 40mgs was prescribed? That's a long time to take so much. Maybe it will just take you a little longer to taper being on so much. I sure hope you have a better day..We all need peace.

Do you feel as if your brain has gone blank? I can't seem to remember anything or Brian things to mind very well..

Every time I made a drop in dose I felt like that. Hang in there.

I haven't been dropping at this point, just trying to stabilize at my regular 40 mg dose. I used to take this in the past and was doing very well, but now have felt spaced out and blank. Obsessing over my thoughts.

I am also clearly depressed. Maybe once I got back onto the meds I had a reverse reaction? Thanks again for listening and for your comments. I know I sound like a broken record, it's nice to have an outlet to share these things.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi s,

I'm sure anything is possible with these psychotropics because they are totally unpredictable most of the time. After I reinstated Risperidone, I became VERY depressed. I tapered a small amount and felt better in a few days,

You might try tapering a small amount and see how you feel. If I were you, I would try taking 37.5mg for a few days...you will probably have to mix with water unless you have liquid Citalopram available.

I hope you feel better soon!

Are you sleeping well?

Thanks Tezza, yes I'm sleeping very well.

• Administrator

s, why do you think the atypical antipsychotics like olanzapine are used as "shut-up pills" in nursing homes?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

s, why do you think the atypical antipsychotics like olanzapine are used as "shut-up pills" in nursing homes?

Are they really? I've noticed I've had a very hard time getting my words out and even saying anything at all! I'm glad you mention this. Where can I find more info about this? Even though its on the lowest dose, it's probably causing much of the problems I've been having.

Anything else you know about Olanzapine?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi s1335,

I don't know anything about Olanzapine - sorry.

But I wanted to tell you that since the end of February I've been trying to stabilise on 20mg of citalopram. I'm very familiar with the obsessive thinking and looping thoughts.

This stopped for me last week, but I found mindfulness meditation very useful when I was going through this.

I think we have to remember that because our CNS is destabilised, all bets are off. So what was before is no more. We can't expect the drug to have the same effect as before in the same amount of time. This doesn't mean that you won't stabilise - just that it might take much longer than you anticipated.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

very good advice Basil..I've been trying to stabilize since Dec. The aspartame upset the balance but I was making progress.

• Administrator

Yes, s, the atypical antipsychotics are famous for slowing people down. That's their purpose.

Google and ye shall find.

I seem not to be thinking clearly. Get into dazes and always do the foolish thing. I feel stuck in my foolishness. Will be tapering further off of Olanzapine this Monday.

Hopefully as a result ill find that I don't get into the "shut up pills" state! I used to be quite a talker in the past. Will be going to Florida next week. Maybe that will do some good as I continue to stabilize/restabilize. Thanks for listening to my rants.

• Administrator

Please go off the olanzapine gradually.

Hi s

I was on 40 mgs. Celexa and now down to 30mgs. I don't know what olanzapine is. I gather it is sedating. Do you think you can very slowly taper down from that?

It may bring back some of your clarity.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 6 years later...
  • Administrator

@s1335, how are you doing?